http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:10:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Hellgate: London) Who's in?  (Read 33245 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 23, 2007, 03:30:08 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 22, 2007, 02:05:48 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 21, 2007, 12:35:46 PM

I popped in really quick to see the new patch.  Looks like they fixed the Nano machine, so I was able to upgrade some objects a lil bit.  I also like that the chat interface pops open when a whisper is sent.  It still sucks, but now it sucks less.  smile

Yeah, I noticed that.  Good thing they are fixing the game quickly. 

I'll need to pop in this weekend and see if the patch helped at all.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 26, 2007, 02:03:19 PM »

They need (imho) to make the chat tabs configurable, add-able, removable (ala COH and LOTORO, among others). Esp. since spam-bots are completely amuck in the general chat channel now (basically, every time you log in, you're welcomed by about a 40-line chat message from one offering to "power level" you and get you all the best items). I find it rather ludicrous that a mostly non-fee game where you can level like crazy just by playing reasonable amounts of time (it's not a grind-fest) is attracting so many spammers and spam-bots like sharks attacking chum.  icon_confused

I realize it's not an MMO per se, but if they're going to have all these MMO-style quests anyway (btw I'm really glad they have so many hunt quests where you have to "camp" the same map over and over because it doesn't spawn enough baddies to complete the hunt quest  Roll Eyes, and that some later quests are so long, you can't complete the quest before the respawning of it drops on your head), they should've at least spent 5 minutes in any modern MMO to see how chat's handled. If they're not going to fix the spam/spambots, at least give us the tools to shut the channel spigot "off."

fwiw, I've tried "leaving" the general chat channel via the new command line stuff but it doesn't seem to affect spam messages eating up my chat screen constantly. And the problem with the ignore-list (besides the fact that spambots seem to just register a different name and re-post every 15 minutes) is that it inexplicably seems to vanish every time you log off (it seems to be a "temporary" ignore list, as I've had to ignore the same spambot repeatedly). icon_confused

I'm still generally enjoying the game (just hit L25), but the list of things that leave you thinking "Did they look at *any* other games like this, or MMOs, in the market and learn anything whatsoever before they decided to make this game?" just keeps getting longer and longer. They're going to be using chewing gum and baling wire to fix a lot of things and add a lot of features that game should already have, for quite some time. Any kind of research would've helped them avoid so many pitfalls, but it's like they designed Hellgate in a cave and didn't bother looking at the game world around them. Even looking at their own previous work (Diablo and Diablo II were just awash in spammers,  spambots, and the like, but Hellgate does nothing whatsoever to try to discourage that) would've helped.

Oh, I still think Eastcheap is the coolest environment design in the game, but after playing about 25 randomized versions of that same map, it's not quite as charming.  Tongue

To end on a hopeful note, there were a couple of L25ish quests involving crafting or other unconventional gathering, and I really dug that stuff. smile As far as one epic required quest involving an enemy of un-fathomable size, I must say, it just wasn't fair.  icon_evil Fortunately, an L28 fellow Marskman offered to help. It still proved next to impossible, but we eventually completed it after probably 20 minutes or more of trying.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 02:11:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: November 26, 2007, 04:40:27 PM »

btw I'm really glad they have so many hunt quests where you have to "camp" the same map over and over because it doesn't spawn enough baddies to complete the hunt quest
I've not run into this yet.  I had to backtrack to hit one of those teleporting dudes once but other than that I've found the correct amount of baddies waiting for me to pummel them.

I'm still generally enjoying the game
Agreed, although I feel like I'm becoming numb to the bugs.  The question is whether I'll feel the pull to go back after I beat it...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 27, 2007, 12:58:17 AM »

Yeah, I'm not doing alts like crazy because I just don't feel much like trawling through the exact same content again [mainly, because aside from a few imaginative quests, it's tedious]. I wish maybe it was a bit like Sacred, where different character classes at least got some unique quests to start out on (and some MMOs do that as well).

Patch .6 notes are up at the official site (it isn't live yet, afik):
Patch 0.6 has one very notable fix – the invisible group member bug has been slainthumbsup This was a crafty, fierce thing with rows of nasty sharp teeth, but we believe it has now fallen into the mists of legend. We’ll stay vigilant in case it raises its ugly invisible head again.

We’ve also made great strides on the Engineer Drone issue where items become unequipped. There are some cases where Drones (as well as players), will still have items unequip. The main cause of this is when players “ladder up” the equipment on their Character or Drone by using items with statistic bonuses. This results in the Character or Drone being able to use a better overall set of gear than they normally could, and thus causes issues if the items are not equipped in a specific order (or used at all). We’re continuing to work on this one, but it is better with this patch.

As always, we’re reading the forums, getting your feedback, and seeing your desires for Hellgate. The biggest issue we’re currently working on is the client-side memory usage issue. This is very complex and involved, and we also know that it’s a major issue for users. We’re pouring all of our energies right now into working on the game, so if you don’t see us reply to your posts it doesn’t mean we aren’t listening. It just means we’re working hard to make Hellgate: London a better and better experience.

Full patch Notes...

General:
    * Fixed a bug that caused group members to be invisible to other group members.
    * Fixed a texture memory leak that occurred when inspecting armor items. This will improve long-term memory usage, especially for players that frequently buy, sell, and analyze items.

Chat:
    * Increased the number of players in global chat.
    * The chat window no longer overlaps the Crafter merchant UI panel.
    * Fixed a bug that prevented the user from interacting with the chat panel via the mouse when the Buddy List or Guild Panel is open.
    * System messages are now displayed in all chat tabs.
    * The scroll bar on the Guild Panel should now function properly.

Items:
    * Items dropped in the world now have slightly lower overall feed requirements.
    * Analyzers now work as expected on stashed items.

Engineers:
    * Fixed a bug that caused items equipped on an Engineer Drone to be unequipped when the Engineer summoned the Drone after changing levels.

World Movement:
   * Fixed a bug that caused players to be randomly teleported under certain circumstances. [Hallelujah!  icon_cool ]

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 01:00:00 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 27, 2007, 03:15:45 AM »

I made it through Act 4. Then the seemingly daily "Server Error" crash to desktop told me it was time to stop for the night.  Roll Eyes

The Act 4 end boss was quite challenging, esp. when you're completely out of power thingies and down to your last couple health packs, even though his modus operandi is basically "chase player, whack wildly with scythe, repeat ad nauseam."  icon_smile I found the act's last environs pretty refreshing even if it's all corridors we played before. The little bit of drama and story made it feel more interesting. I still think the game feels like it was designed by a committee of several subscommittees. And some of the subcommittees did nothing to make their environs or quests interesting; while a few precious others subcommittees actually made some effort to shake up the environs and make a quest/storyline at least a little bit interesting. I just hope the latter subcommittees handle any future content updates.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 27, 2007, 12:40:34 PM »

Is anyone bored with this. I played though Act 1 - not really hit many bugs but I just can't get into the game. I'm at the point where I almost can't be bothered to play it anymore as there doesn't seem much to it or to the game play.

Currently ranking as one of my most disappointing game experiences...am I the only one?

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 27, 2007, 01:14:56 PM »

Probably not, Tals.  I'm sure others agree with you.

I'm bored as well, but I wouldn't say I'm disappointed.  I do however find I am playing other games a lot more than Hellgate lately.

For me, it will fill the role of something to pick up and play in short bursts when I want to kill things.  I think it fills that little niche nicely as a matter of fact.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: November 27, 2007, 03:20:13 PM »

As always, we’re reading the forums, getting your feedback, and seeing your desires for Hellgate. The biggest issue we’re currently working on is the client-side memory usage issue. This is very complex and involved, and we also know that it’s a major issue for users. We’re pouring all of our energies right now into working on the game, so if you don’t see us reply to your posts it doesn’t mean we aren’t listening. It just means we’re working hard to make Hellgate: London a better and better experience.

I dunno, being not a developer and all, but maybe you should've been making sure shit like this doesn't happen BEFORE launch!

Yes, this 'issue' keeps me from playing at max detail levels on Vista because otherwise I crash within an hour or less due to running out of memory.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 27, 2007, 03:29:15 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 27, 2007, 03:20:13 PM

I dunno, being not a developer and all, but maybe you should've been making sure shit like this doesn't happen BEFORE launch!

Yes, this 'issue' keeps me from playing at max detail levels on Vista because otherwise I crash within an hour or less due to running out of memory.

yeah, that's pretty much why I'm cancelling my subscription.  I can't fund idiocy- if I did I'd contribute to the Republican Party.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 28, 2007, 03:15:28 PM »

I spend much time griping about this game, but I play every night and am quite addicted still -- in spite of everything.  icon_biggrin And Necropolis = a very cool zone. Albeit I'll probably get sick of it quickly.

So far the environments that debut in Necropolis and Eastcheap zones are my favorites, and are the ones that give me the most hope for the game in terms of some fresh environments (when all the murky brown tunnels and square rooms, and the Hell Zone Layout That Never Changes made me very pessimistic). Necropolis has enough elevations and pathways that I can find ideal grenade-lobbing positions.  drool

The later I get in the game, the more it feels like a mix of Doom and Serious Sam (though maybe that's just a marksman's perspective  icon_biggrin).

I can't see myself subscribing for some time. Although the upcoming update's supposed to throw subscribers a bone, I'm not seeing any real content updates in the near future worth my moolah.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 28, 2007, 03:33:55 PM »

I fired it up last night and started making the trek from the end of Act 1 station to the new one. About 10 minutes into my travels (and killing alot of stuff) the game CTD's  disgust and off I go to play Mass Effect (after cancelling my subscription).

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 28, 2007, 03:35:02 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 28, 2007, 03:15:28 PM

I spend much time griping about this game, but I play every night and am quite addicted still -- in spite of everything...

Yeah... we pretty much figured that out.   icon_wink

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 29, 2007, 06:06:45 PM »

Sorry if I repeated myself. It's a longtime malady of mine. I'd put an emoticon here but we don't have the "embarassed" one available. smile

On some of the weird late 20s quests, I'm not sure whether to commend the devs for variety or to scold them for mushing small scale RTS, weird budget turret-shooter games and maze-y CTF games (I mean, if I wanted to play CTF, I would've bought the latest Unreal Tournament game  Tongue) into this. I was just glad to see a sprinkling of fresher environments. Oh wait, I probably said that before too. Never mind!  icon_biggrin

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: November 29, 2007, 06:22:05 PM »

God, I hated that Turret level.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 29, 2007, 06:31:16 PM »

God said you shouldn't be playing a sinful gore-fest like Hellgate: London ... at least not until it reaches version 1.0. icon_biggrin

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 30, 2007, 01:12:26 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 29, 2007, 06:06:45 PM

Sorry if I repeated myself. It's a longtime malady of mine. I'd put an emoticon here but we don't have the "embarassed" one available. smile

icon_redface

it's under 'more'  icon_wink

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 30, 2007, 02:06:49 AM »

I have to say this giant stupid robot game around L28 is in fact stupid. The controls make no sense to me at all (you can click, and click crosshairs and he basically just seems to get mauled, and he has no special attacks), and I just quit in disgust because once again the game ramps up from enjoyable challenge to "rub your face in dog poop" difficulty without warning, and jumps to a different genre game clumsily to no purpose (and w/ no explanation of the control system) except to remove me from the basic game that I enjoy. Gah!  mad I think maybe I'll go get Gears of War PC or something and stop torturing myself with this.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 30, 2007, 04:20:59 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 30, 2007, 02:06:49 AM

I have to say this giant stupid robot game around L28 is in fact stupid. The controls make no sense to me at all (you can click, and click crosshairs and he basically just seems to get mauled, and he has no special attacks), and I just quit in disgust because once again the game ramps up from enjoyable challenge to "rub your face in dog poop" difficulty without warning, and jumps to a different genre game clumsily to no purpose (and w/ no explanation of the control system) except to remove me from the basic game that I enjoy. Gah!  mad I think maybe I'll go get Gears of War PC or something and stop torturing myself with this.

Even though I don't own the game was going ask why you are still playing if you seem to be so frustrated with it.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 01, 2007, 05:27:47 AM »

OK, obviously I was wrong. deadhorse Gears of War PC/Windows Live is a nightmarish, desktop-crashing, slide-show framerate disaster (on my PC anyway) that makes Hellgate's launch iteration seem like a fabled paragon of stability and smooth running efficiency.  disgust So, Blackjach shall return to the sloppiness that is Hellgate and see if he can at least finish the game once at Normal.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 01, 2007, 05:30:07 AM »

I tried inviting your character, but it said he was already in a guild frown

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: December 01, 2007, 06:42:41 AM »

I never see anyone in the guild online...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 01, 2007, 06:33:43 PM »

I'm afraid that's why my Blackjach character joined a large pick-up guild a while back. It's not all that great or well behaved, but they always have someone online and I've gotten help on a couple of more difficult quests at least.

Although I have affection for the gang here (I'm so mushy!  icon_razz), I don't blame people here for not playing this much. I know it's really a mess in many ways still.

Thx for thinking of me though. smile I still like to co-op. If anyone here wants to (I'm level 30 and could really use help in the Hell level near the end of Normal skill game), lets just set up a time and try to at least get each other on the friends list. I'm sick (flu) and certainly when not resting I'll be playing tonight. smile

*Technical Troubleshooting Help
-So OK, I have this bizzaro problem and others claim they don't have this: I change the video settings, I hit accept. The game retains the video settings as long as I'm at least at the Hellgate main menu. But the moment I exit the game entirely - WOOSH, all my video settings changes in the Options menu are gone. The bad part is all the defaults default to the HIGHEST possible settings (frame rate trouble for me). Having to change all this every time I log into the game is just plain annoying.  disgust

Any ideas? Yes, I am hitting the ACCEPT button. Yes, I've tried exiting and restarting the game, but all that does is reset all the video options again. Yes I tried changing the options in the Single Player Client (but it has the same problem there, doesn't retain setting changes).

-And also on that note, same with the hotkey config in options. If I change a few keys, the moment I exit the game, all the changes are lost, and when I log back in the game, it's all returned to default.

I will check at the official forums, but I assume I'll just get 27 yahoos saying "I don't have that problem."  icon_confused
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 06:55:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 01, 2007, 06:58:04 PM »

Patch 0.6 is on the test server now; hopefully that'll hit Live soon.

They mentioned 0.7 on the official site:
Howdy everyone! Work on the upcoming 0.7 patch is nearly done, and should be heading to our test center by early next week. We have a nice list of fixes in this patch, including improvements to memory usage, UI changes, and general skill updates.

Also included will be a number of really cool subscriber items and quests that should please many old D2 fans. We’ll detail this content, as well as the bug fixes, when the patch goes live. Thanks, and hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

PS Patch 0.6 is on the Test Center server now, so if you wanna help out, feel free to hop on and check it out. Also, the Party Portal issues should be resolved now after last night's reboot.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: December 01, 2007, 07:16:29 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 01, 2007, 06:33:43 PM

*Technical Troubleshooting Help
-So OK, I have this bizzaro problem and others claim they don't have this: I change the video settings, I hit accept. The game retains the video settings as long as I'm at least at the Hellgate main menu. But the moment I exit the game entirely - WOOSH, all my video settings changes in the Options menu are gone. The bad part is all the defaults default to the HIGHEST possible settings (frame rate trouble for me). Having to change all this every time I log into the game is just plain annoying.  disgust

Are you running Vista? Are you running the game via Administrator access? I'm guessing that's your problem, as if you don't run it via Admin access, it won't save any settings. Thank you Vista.

The short way of fixing that is to browse over to the game's directory, find find which DX version you're running (either DX9 or 10), right click that executable and select 'run as administrator'. I think you can do that via the official shortcut it creates, but I'm not sure offhand.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 01, 2007, 11:19:15 PM »

No, I don't have Vista, I haven't tested Vista, I couldn't sniff Vista from a thousand miles away on this wimpy older PC.  icon_biggrin In fact, at the message board I left before coming here, the board-owner berated me for saying so many negative things about Vista. I believe the "beating a dead horse" emoticon would illustrate how he felt about my opinions on Vista.  deadhorse

So definitely I'm running the DX9 client.

Would admin access still be necessary under XP? icon_confused I'm trying some things. There's no "run as administrator" option under XP though. And I'm definitely running the DX9 client. It still sounds like my problem, just not my OS.  icon_confused

Addendum: Hey, this might be the solution. From official forums (you'll have to be logged into the Hellgate forums as a registered player to view this, fwiw):
http://forums.hellgatelondon.com/showthread.php?t=50954

Couple user suggestions that seem to be working, they say:
Suggestion 1:
You are probably crashing on exit and nothing is being saved. Just edit your settings.xml with word or notepad manually and it will boot with this config every time.

You right click the settings.xml file and then select "open with", then select note pad or word to edit the file and save it when your done.

Suggestion 2:
You can also delete the settings.xml file and it will create a new one next time you start the game.

It sounds like you have one that got corrupted and deleting it should clear the 'doesn't save settings on exit' bug.
It took some investigating, but this settings.xml file is actually over in the My Documents folders section under "My Games/Hellgate."
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 11:52:53 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: December 02, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »

Those are both good solutions as well. I just plunked down what I knew about running the game as Vista as I assumed that was the problem.

And I thought that Hellgate saved its settings in the Hellgate install folder on XP, but apparently I was wrong.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 02, 2007, 01:13:48 AM »

Hellgate is unpredictable, as we all too painfully know. smile Thanks though, I mean your Vista theory did spur me to check the official forums more closely and I'm really much happier with the game with that one problem fixed so you certainly helped get my nogging thinking.  icon_biggrin

Hey I finished the game on normal! Nice chap who was "grinding" Hell at Normal skill (he's 30 and said he was facing mobs of 35s at Nightmare skill) helped me finish. I'm still seriously messed up on resistances (or everybody else is cheating  Tongue) cause he was often taking not a lick of damage while elemental stuff was shredding me to pieces.

The last section of the game is over the top madness, but I actually loved it even when the end bosses were slaughtering me (I guess with the way rez/ghosting is handled it just comes down to perserverance). It really did feel something like that last battle with Diablo in Diablo II, ya know? smile I guess it's a shame it took the entire game to get to something that really felt like D2 truly (just imho), but it was particularly memorable.

Oh, I think most people know this, but in keyboard configs you can add an alternate key for all the various skill tray things. I got in the habit in COH and LOTORO of assigning many hotkeys to letters. Hellgate has already used a bunch (F, E, Q, V etc. are all taken for example), but there's still some flexibility to add some keys beyond the numbers (I just have difficulty reading beyond maybe 6 in combat).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 01:16:08 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 02, 2007, 03:14:30 PM »

Oh, that .xml file has some other settings of interest. One is a setting for whether to play all those various obnoxious splash screens (NVIDIA, etc.) at startup. I think the EA in Hell splash screen starts up regardless.  mad You'll know you've got my corrupted/empty XML file problem if you're having to sit through multiple splash screens at startup (I think by default it turns them off after the first time).

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: December 02, 2007, 05:24:20 PM »

No, it doesn't.  I haven't touched the xml stuff, but have it every time I start the game up.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 02, 2007, 09:27:35 PM »

Well, I misread it. It's just an option to let you skip all that after they run for the first time -- in my case it wasn't letting me skip them at all because the .XML file was empty. So it seems to set it to "1" after you've run it once successfully.

There's actually a whole thread on this boring topic at official forums. If you hold Esc key down a couple seconds it skips all the intro movies/splash screens (as opposed to repeated Esc-tapping). No big whoop, just a miscellaneous tip.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 09:37:38 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 04, 2007, 06:35:45 PM »

The UK site Computer & Video Games has a lengthy interview with Bill Roper:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=176711

It's kind of interesting with the news about Blizzard-Activision, that the guys who formed Flagship had actually tendered their resignations from Blizzard in 2003 in an effort to get Vivendi in France to better communicate about the possible sale of their games division (including Blizzard). Instead, Vivendi just said, "So long!" At least that's how it sounds from the interview. So that should be a lesson to anyone who thinks offering to resign is a way to get company big-wigs to communicate better.  icon_biggrin

As far as Hellgate:
If we had the ability, we would have taken longer on polishing Hellgate: London, but that is the difficult balance an independent developer has to strike.
Oops.  Roll Eyes

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: December 04, 2007, 07:34:50 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 04, 2007, 06:35:45 PM

As far as Hellgate:
If we had the ability, we would have taken longer on polishing Hellgate: London, but that is the difficult balance an independent developer has to strike.
Oops.  Roll Eyes

So, in short, they just admitted that they released the game WAY too early to meet a forced date.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 04, 2007, 10:10:44 PM »

I thought the point of being an independent studio was being free of Publisher-imposed "release the game on this date or die" proclamations. I get the impression now that it's more that if you're a Heavy Hitter with a good track record (say, Blizzard or Infinity Ward), then your parent company/publisher has less leeway to force you to release a half-baked game. You could argue WoW was not exactly peachy at launch but I got the impression that was more a serious under-estimation on Blizzard's part of demand for the game (although any game that shipped as many pre-orders as they did, the dev should know what they're in for) and the amount of servers/capacity they would need, than it was a half-baked game.

Then again, maybe Flagship got stuck in Sigil's situation with Vanguard where'd they burned through so much development money that they needed user-revenue if they were ever going to recoupe. I still say the harm they do through a botched and/or premature launch/release (and all the bad word-of-mouth with it in the long run) far outweighs any scrawny revenue you might gather initially.

Oh well, who knows? Perhaps the Borg-like Activision Blizzard will absorb poor little Flagship some day...

I do hope Hellgate gets a version 1.0 "re-release" at some point (at the rate patches are going, I'm guessing maybe February 2008).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:12:26 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 06, 2007, 07:57:57 PM »

Internode (?) has a Hellgate related interview:
http://games.internode.on.net/content.php?mode=news&id=2324
It seems to illustrate that there's waaaaay too much fixation on review rating numbers/scores (How dare they knock our scores down because the game is "a little buggy" Roll Eyes), and that if Flagship really thinks their launch day patch "fixed" the game, they needed to play the early incarnation a little more.  icon_confused

I'm pleased with the latest patch, I'm eager to see what "magic" patches .8 and .9 deliver.  icon_biggrin

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 08, 2007, 03:41:12 PM »

Official site posted a dev chat transcript (they don't do any posting on their message boards, so it's about the only chance to find out what they're thinking):
http://www.hellgatelondon.com/underground/hellgate-london-developer-chat-transcript

Thought I'd highlight some stuff (good, bad, amusing or indifferent  icon_neutral). I pulled some of the later answers up to the top that seemed esp. important:

*Respec of Character Skills
[Bill Roper]: We know that players want a chance to try out some different skill builds, especially with the blanace changes we’ve made and will be making in 0.7 and Stonehenge. So we’re going to do something we’ve never done before and provide a way for players to respec a character. I’m going to be all secretive on just what and how, but we’ll have details for you in the coming weeks.

*In-Game E-mail/Auction House
[Bill Roper]: We have started working on our in-game email system that is the technological foundation for the auction house. This should also address the desire for a shared stash between characters (or account stash) since you’ll be able to send items between characters. We don’t have a release date for this yet, but it is at the top of the list.

*Content Updates (starting with 1.0, it seems)
[Erich Schaefer]: Patch 1 has a lot. Most incredible to me in testing are the new backgrounds. Completely different from the base game. New monster to go in it, with new drops, or course. But below the surface is a cool new structure. In brief: it combines structured boss runs and some party-only content.

Improving Auto-Party/Searching for Co-Op Teammates
[Erich Schaefer]: Auto-party is due for a big improvement with the 0.7 patch. Now we search towns for auto-party-desiring players and group them together, instead of waiting until the jump into an instance.
[Erich Schaefer]: Much bigger improvements in Looking for Group type interfaces coming with patch 1.0

*PVP Options
[Erich Schaefer]: We are working on more formal dueling arenas right now, with some cool options. These will likely go into patch 1.0. They will still be one-on-one duels, however. Longer-term plans will include party-versus party battlefields, capture-the-flag type matches and more.

Founders/Subscribers stuff
[Bill Roper]: We are going to be introducing Veteran Rewards for long-term subscribers, and of course, Founders will get all of these automatically as they are created and rolled out. We’re also working on some special items that will help Founders stand out in the game so you’re instantly recognizable. I’d also like to see us have some special outside the game offers for our Founders, but we’ll have to work on that with our partners and publishers.

Unique items dropping in Nightmare with "Normal" skill quality stats
[Erich Schaefer]: Certain named unique items don't scale to nightmare level equivalents. We panicked and thought there would be balance problems. After looking at it more we think it is safe so we will be scaling them soon.

Scarcity of Nightmare-quality sword drops
[Erich Schaefer]: We are adding some really cool nightmare-level swords in patch 1 [Patch 1.0?-bj]. They will be subscriber-only. I was just playing with them and they are beautiful. Working on the blanace now...
[Erich Schaefer]: (acually cricket bats can drop in nightmare levels - they are very rare)

Option for higher rez player models [I have noted how players around me in the station look awfully low rez]:
[Phil Shenk]: The memory fixes coming in on the .7 patch should address this. We had to turn that option off to address the memory issues we were having as a quick solution.

Giving Melee More Variety/Fun Factor
[Phil Shenk]: We're looking at a two-stage solution. In patch one we'll be introducing some new animations that should make melee feel a lot smoother. After that, we may explore a more radical change, but that will depend a lot on how people like the first change. We totally want to make melee feel smoother and more impactful.

Cooler Engineer Drones
[Military]: any plans to redo the look of the engineer drone?
[Phil Shenk]: yes, we're working on some changes to the drones. We want to make them look cooler

Spammer Measures
[Erich Schaefer]: Well we are banning people pretty fast. I think better now.. I hope... But some tech improvements are on the way, like an account based /ignore... [Last should help a lot -- as w/ automated e-mail spammers, the ones in game seem to constantly create new login names, often just differing by one letter. If a particular spambot is working out of a single account that might help, or they may just automatically create new accounts - that's the trouble with a free online game imho just in terms of spammmers/spambots being able to delete and create new accounts frequently-bj]

Improving Artwork of Existing Areas/More Variety
[Dave Glenn]: Yes. We have a ton of ideas we're working on to add to existing areas. Some entirely new set-piece type of areas, think boss-fight rooms and quest areas. As well as new themes in regards to environment types, etc.

What does *blank* do?
[Erich Schaefer]: I'm not sure what it says +2... But evasion is a straight % chance to avoid any direct damage. So +2 should probably be considered 2% chance to evade an attack.

[Erich Schaefer]: Luck is a bit of a mystery even to me. It increases the chances that random drops will be of higher quality. I do know that, and it does work. But when we looked into the system it seems overly complex and scary. It’s due for an overhaul soon.
[Pretty scary when even the devs don't fully understand their own game's stats-bj  saywhat]

Here's my favorite fan question  icon_lol:
[dem0nicist]: Since I've read a lot in the forums about systems having performance issues, would you please send us a dxdiag.txt of a system that operates properly? or better yet, can we have ALL of the ones that work properly?
Roper reiterated Patch .7 should fix some memory leak problems, and a that a forthcoming DirectX patch might fix some other issues.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 03:48:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: December 08, 2007, 06:35:46 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 08, 2007, 03:41:12 PM

Here's my favorite fan question  icon_lol:
[dem0nicist]: Since I've read a lot in the forums about systems having performance issues, would you please send us a dxdiag.txt of a system that operates properly? or better yet, can we have ALL of the ones that work properly?
Roper reiterated Patch .7 should fix some memory leak problems, and a that a forthcoming DirectX patch might fix some other issues.

ROFL

Maybe once they hit version 1.0 I might get back into the game. Or at least if they fix all the memory crash bugs (as when I left, I couldn't play on the highest detail levels in Vista for an hour without the game crashing).

Keep us on the sidelines informed, Blackjack, and eventually we'll all come back. I just don't know when.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 08, 2007, 06:46:19 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 08, 2007, 06:35:46 PM

Keep us on the sidelines informed, Blackjack, and eventually we'll all come back. I just don't know when.

+1.  I've still got the game installed but the will to play only to have it CTD after 10 minutes isn't there.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 08, 2007, 08:34:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 08, 2007, 06:46:19 PM

Quote from: Destructor on December 08, 2007, 06:35:46 PM

+1.  I've still got the game installed but the will to play only to have it CTD after 10 minutes isn't there.
I feel for you Destructor, that's -- CTDs and general poor behavior on my system -- same reason I've uninstalled Gears of War PC and decline to comment on that game any further. I plan to hang onto it though in hopes that when I get/build a new PC in 2008, perhaps GoW PC will run on that.

Is the .6 Hellgate crashing on you as well? I had problems after launch, but now it's very stable (obviously I complain a lot, but technically it runs smoothly for me now and I've had no CTDS beyond the occasional server error - which also has become less common but maybe more people are staying away biggrin). It's just, having finished the game, and done a few Hell runs for experience, I just don't feel a burning desire to play HG anymore. But I like keeping track of news, combing through chat transcripts for meaningful info etc. and I'll keep doing that if people find it useful. smile

I still find it bizarre people ask (in the chat) if they can still get in on Founder's Pricing. What has Flagship offered in any way to justify subscribing, to this point? They might as well ask, "How can I give you more money for providing me virtually nothing because you're having to spend all your time fixing the game instead of adding content?" That would be more candid.  icon_neutral

And Roper's comments about pricing and comparing the game to MMOs just seemed to show they wanted the game to be a little bit of everything, as if they just couldn't figure out what they were trying to do. It's their first game as a new company, I understand that. But why not start off straightforward instead of trying to promise the world and not really delivering? icon_confused

A lot of the chat transcript is promising, but I realize it's just words, with little in the way of even vague release/update dates.

For some reason my gaming affection tends to wither in the holiday season. It's probably at its strongest in spring-early summer. Blackjack's Holiday Gaming Disaffection Disorder.  puke

I still feel like Hellgate can turn a corner. It may well be months before it hits 1.0, and adds some real content that gives some concrete reason to subscribe.  The question is whether anybody will still care when it reaches that point, and maybe whether they can convince EA/Namco to do a "Hellgate: London 1.0 Re-Release" in hopes of giving it a second chance at life on retail shelves.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 08:42:09 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: December 08, 2007, 09:34:31 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 08, 2007, 08:34:12 PM

Is the .6 Hellgate crashing on you as well? I had problems after launch, but now it's very stable (obviously I complain a lot, but technically it runs smoothly for me now and I've had no CTDS beyond the occasional server error - which also has become less common but maybe more people are staying away biggrin).

I haven't played the game much at all since launch. It wasn't worth it in the pre-beta state it was in, and I had far better games to play to be frank (and far less buggy ones at that). Maybe I'll give it another whirl eventually.

I still feel like Hellgate can turn a corner. It may well be months before it hits 1.0, and adds some real content that gives some concrete reason to subscribe.  The question is whether anybody will still care when it reaches that point, and maybe whether they can convince EA/Namco to do a "Hellgate: London 1.0 Re-Release" in hopes of giving it a second chance at life on retail shelves.

That will be a BIG issue, methinks. How many people are still playing this bug-ridden game? I haven't checked the forums (nor cared to do so) in ages, so who knows how the complains are progressing.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: December 08, 2007, 11:33:34 PM »

1.0 is due out in December, as of the last word from the devs.  That was always the plan.  It /might/ slip, but i doubt it'll slip that much.

I have, however, run into a major issue involving guilds.

I've beaten the game, and am playing Hardcore Elite.  I've joined a HCE guild, but here's the rub.

When you die, you have to create a new char.  The guild you joined is tied only to that first character, which means if you die a lot, you're constantly joining the guild, over and over and over again...which is a pain in the ass.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: