http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:10:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Hellgate: London) Who's in?  (Read 34065 times)
ROTC1983
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 06, 2007, 04:16:50 AM »

Gamingtrend guild is up smile

depward

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 06, 2007, 04:43:40 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 06, 2007, 04:16:50 AM

Gamingtrend guild is up smile

Send me an invite!  I'm Offred... currently logged in... send me a PM, I'll have my chat window open   icon_biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2007, 04:49:36 AM »

Ok, logging in and sending ya the invite smile

depward

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2007, 04:54:42 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 06, 2007, 04:49:36 AM

Ok, logging in and sending ya the invite smile

Got it thanks.  Finally - a reason to keep the chat window open!  On the guild tab anyway...  icon_smile

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2007, 04:58:10 AM »

I ended up quite addicted tonight. It ran without a hitch online and off. And I finished up with a massive boss battle that at least with an Engineer was challenging without being frustrating.  icon_cool I'm really enjoying the drone/firearms mix and if it's more challenging with bosses, that's all the more fun as far as I'm concerned. smile

I think I'm on Shulgoth server as "Blackdroid" but I've played too late already, I'll see if I can join up tomorrow. smile

And I look like...well...all the other engineers. Hopefully I'll look a little more unique eventually.  ninja2

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2007, 05:02:12 AM »

Cool, the more the merrier.  It seems I might be the only founder/subscriber in the guild so I can't make anyone else an officer yet.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2007, 05:23:51 AM »

Login in right now- the game is patching and my current PC is Karina.  I'm also a subscriber so it might let you see if you can do different things icon_wink
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 05:25:38 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
depward

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 06, 2007, 05:28:24 AM »

This is my Marksman.  She just hit level 10.  Though I've doweled out perhaps 5 attribute points, I've used zero skill points because I don't know what to use it on... yet.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 06, 2007, 05:31:47 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 06, 2007, 05:23:51 AM

Login in right now- the game is patching and my current PC is Karina.  I'm also a subscriber so it might let you see if you can do different things icon_wink

Cool, for some odd reason I couldn't use guild chat...well, gonna relog smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 06, 2007, 07:08:18 AM »

OK, looking at the official forums about guilds:

1- There are no officers.
2- You can only have 50 people in 1 guild.

I have to say, the game is fun but there are some things missing/decisions made that make me go 'wtf?'  it's almost like they decided to tack on the MP features at the last minute.

Because I can,
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2007, 07:34:01 AM »

Ugh, thanks Ceekay.   I know they at least mentioned officers, so lets hope they add them smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2007, 07:56:31 AM »

I mentioned this earlier, but there is a voice chat option for HG using X-Fire.  It's free, so I signed up as ceekay74 on it.

Because I can,
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 06, 2007, 08:05:50 AM »

I will shoot you an invite into our Xfire group Ceekay...that will happen tomorrow  ninja2

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 06, 2007, 08:06:38 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 06, 2007, 07:56:31 AM

I mentioned this earlier, but there is a voice chat option for HG using X-Fire.  It's free, so I signed up as ceekay74 on it.

Also, another option is using the STeam community voice chat option.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2007, 08:18:07 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 06, 2007, 08:05:50 AM

I will shoot you an invite into our Xfire group Ceekay...that will happen tomorrow  ninja2

I actually applied to join earlier.  I guess either X-Fire or Steam could work for voice chat, but doesn't Steam require you to hit a key to talk?  I see X-Fire has voice activation, which could come in handy when getting swarmed by demons.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2007, 08:47:22 AM »

Or it might make it worse when you can't stop someone from screaming all the time.  Tongue
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 06, 2007, 09:00:39 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 06, 2007, 08:47:22 AM

Or it might make it worse when you can't stop someone from screaming all the time.  Tongue

Sorry, I will tell my girlfriend to be quiet Tongue  I kid, I kid Tongue

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 06, 2007, 01:25:53 PM »

I gotta ask a dumb interface question not answered in the manual. What does the yellow circular meter in the lower left corner indicate? It can't be health/HP because I've had it go to "zero yellow meter" numerous times in combat without dying. Is it an "armor meter" or something?

I find it painfully Non-intuitive to assume the average player has a clue that the little arrow in the picture there opens up a chat window, or that newer players really want to wrestle with such a command-line focused chat interface (I tend to laud City of Heroes' and LOTORO's chat interfaces, which both are user-friendly but support plenty of command line stuff for players preferring that too). I saw players in chat complaining how few folks were in text chat, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't because they were voice chatting -- it was just hard to understand how to pull up a chat interface or change channels unless you saw the way-too-briefly-popping-up tool tip when you go online.

I just expected something more polished chat-wise from folks who helped Battle.net get started.  icon_confused Obviously they have bigger fish to fry, so I'll get used to it and hope maybe the chat interface gets another look down the road.

I'm open to voice-comm and had replaced my headset a while back for LOTORO. I just know from my experiences there and Planetside, that Mouth Breathers, Constant Cussers, and High Pitched 12 Year Olds Who Shouldn't be Playing T and M-rated Games can make voice chat a real adventure.  Tongue

I'm a noob of course, but I'd encourage any new players to slot your skills and just try everything you can (experiment in single player if you're concerned about "messing up" a multiplayer character). The skill variety seems like what will hook me, though others' mileage on that will vary. smile
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 01:28:03 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 06, 2007, 02:26:34 PM »

That yellow line would be your shields.  Basically the same bubble thing you see on the mobs.  Any armor that has +Sheilds or has the shield icon with a number in it contributes to that little number below your HP number.  So you can take 182+64=246 damage before you die.

Just a little hiccup.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: November 06, 2007, 02:58:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 06, 2007, 01:27:03 AM

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 05, 2007, 11:33:09 PM

So umm, I've subscribed to Hellgate yet I still only have 4 character slots and am running into items that say "subscriber only." This is not good.
I nocticed the same thing.  Have you tried to buy those items? the only one I saw was the guild charter, and I'm about 5 grand short of being able to buy it.

Well, you got something, as the non-subscriber character limit is 3. smile

And as far as shields go - they're just a recharging HP 'buffer' that does NOT take your Armor Rating into effect. So in short they'll go down VERY quickly under fire. Makes some sense when you think about it.

Also, if you push the ~ key, you open/close the crappy chat interface most of the time. You can't do it while you're buying, selling, talking, or looking at your inventory/skill sheets. Beyond that it works.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 03:02:03 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 06, 2007, 03:29:48 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 06, 2007, 09:00:39 AM

Quote from: Turtle on November 06, 2007, 08:47:22 AM

Sorry, I will tell my girlfriend to be quiet Tongue  I kid, I kid Tongue

the nice thing is that with Steam or X-Fire you're limited to people who you put on your friends list.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2007, 03:37:21 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 06, 2007, 02:58:34 PM

Also, if you push the ~ key, you open/close the crappy chat interface most of the time. You can't do it while you're buying, selling, talking, or looking at your inventory/skill sheets. Beyond that it works.

I wish they had made the chat box more translucent or scalable.  chances are when I do use it it will be set directly to guild chat.  I don't really need to read a bunch of players calling each other retards for asking simple questions.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #222 on: November 06, 2007, 03:59:28 PM »

All right, I took the plunge.  Between forum effect and buddy effect, I was getting dragged in... and a sale at Amazon sealed the deal.

Hopefully it gets here before the weekend.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 06, 2007, 05:39:11 PM »

When you I (at 1280X1024 rez) pull up the Buddy List, it plants it right on top of the tabbed chat window (it doesn't seem like we can move chat windows around?), not very smart of them  saywhat (I was trying to add someone whose name was in my chat window but it's tough to see when the two interface windows are on top of each other). Is there some way to "detach" interface windows and move them around a bit? (a la most MMOs)

Thanks for the meter info. Some things like that and the various relics, mods, materials etc. are what I may be begging for explanations here over time. smile What puzzles me about some of the weapon mods is that sometimes the graphic representing it in your inventory looks like one of the icons on the weapon's mod slots; but the item's "mod characterstics" shows a different icon. I know that sounds confusing -- I just mean sometimes the item looks like a rifle magazine in your inventory, but when you look at its "mod attributes" screen, the icon is actually a rocket.  icon_confused

Maybe someone can do a read-only "Things I wish I knew when I started playing Hellgate: London" thread.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 05:43:57 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2007, 07:30:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 06, 2007, 03:37:21 PM

Quote from: Destructor on November 06, 2007, 02:58:34 PM

I wish they had made the chat box more translucent or scalable.  chances are when I do use it it will be set directly to guild chat.  I don't really need to read a bunch of players calling each other retards for asking simple questions.

I had it open the other day, and it was akin to Barrens (WoW) chat. Absolutely terrible.

And as far as I know of, there is NO way to rearrange the UI in the slightest.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 06, 2007, 07:47:42 PM »

I know there are sensible, mature young folk playing PC-console games.....but the majority of players, especially "shooter" "loot" types seem to be very young, very immature boys. I think that's just a fact.

We have a hobby that appeals to a broad spectrum of people types and ages..but the majority still tend to be "on the young side".......I'm not saying I wasn't a joker at times when I was a kid, so I'm not really expecting anything else.

The other day I was waiting for a BG to pop in Shatt.(WoW)...It had been a while since I'd sat and read what was being said in General Chat...I had to just sit here and chuckle. It felt like I was waiting for a bus just on the other side of the fence where High School Juniors were sneaking out for a smoke break....They're just being who they are...Kids. When I forget this I get my knickers all bunched up in a knot.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 06, 2007, 08:25:19 PM »

The good news is, from what I've read (secondhand), Roper is aware that the chat interface sucks, and it will eventually be addressed.  How exactly it is addressed, I haven't a clue.

I for one never have it open.  Never.  It, like the rest of the U.I. - is in my opinion huge and distracting.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 06, 2007, 08:42:10 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 06, 2007, 08:25:19 PM

The good news is, from what I've read (secondhand), Roper is aware that the chat interface sucks, and it will eventually be addressed.  How exactly it is addressed, I haven't a clue.

I for one never have it open.  Never.  It, like the rest of the U.I. - is in my opinion huge and distracting.

As of right now, as Ceekay mentioned previously, I recommend you make a steam community account or a Xfire account.  Those two have built in voice chat we can use.

Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 06, 2007, 09:03:48 PM »

Subscribers check your bank account/credit cards.

The Hellgate Forums thread has been deleted, but it seems some people were being charged their monthly/quarterly fees daily.

Just a little hiccup.
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 06, 2007, 09:30:20 PM »

Looks like you can invite guildies into the guild without them being online...if you need an invite, just post in the MMORPG forums thread I made requesting an invite smile

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 06, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »

I'm warming to the game but I don't think I'm willing to subscribe until they get their ducks in a row. I mean, gads, there's already a petition complaining about the Asia-Pacific release (mentioned at Blue's News):
http://www.petitiononline.com/hgl_3110/petition.html

If I can ever get out of work tonight, I'm still looking forward to relogging in and I hope I can get a guild invite (Blackdroid). smile
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:42:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 06, 2007, 11:30:29 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 06, 2007, 09:30:20 PM

Looks like you can invite guildies into the guild without them being online...if you need an invite, just post in the MMORPG forums thread I made requesting an invite smile

I'd like an invite to the guild, my evoker is Zhyraal. Thanks. smile
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 06, 2007, 11:35:28 PM »

Sent the guild invites smile

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 07, 2007, 12:14:39 AM »

How is that good news when he put out a game where the interface, a fairly important feature I might add, was known to suck by the team?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: November 07, 2007, 03:59:40 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on November 07, 2007, 12:14:39 AM

How is that good news when he put out a game where the interface, a fairly important feature I might add, was known to suck by the team?

Because he was forced into a Halloween release?

And my oddities continue - sometimes I can run the DX9 MP core, other times I can't. There's no rhyme or reason as to why I can or can't. All I know is that I 'run out of memory' about an hour and change once I boot the game every time. And this is on a Texture Detail of High instead of the Very High my system can more than do. It just keeps the time until crash higher.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 07, 2007, 04:33:21 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 07, 2007, 03:59:40 AM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on November 07, 2007, 12:14:39 AM

Because he was forced into a Halloween release?

And my oddities continue - sometimes I can run the DX9 MP core, other times I can't. There's no rhyme or reason as to why I can or can't. All I know is that I 'run out of memory' about an hour and change once I boot the game every time. And this is on a Texture Detail of High instead of the Very High my system can more than do. It just keeps the time until crash higher.
Then maybe he should have made it a priority earlier. Why is the dev team getting such a free pass for this buggy crap? The game has been buggy and unfinished for a long time in beta.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 07, 2007, 07:15:26 AM »

Blackdroid's not sure about his appearance after tonight's follies:

I chatted with a couple of folks from the Gaming Trend guild. We all agree the chat window and system is a crock.  disgust And I've got this Bizzaro World situation where I have to start the multiplayer once (nothing happens, but you can see a 'process' for the client in the alt/tab multi-task window), then a second time (the splash screen seems to check all the game files and then exit the game), and then the third time multiplayer starts up as its supposed to (and has been, fwiw, rock solid reliable). But man, what a bunch of ridiculousness just to get online.

It seems like the chat window is really messed up at wide screen resolutions (devours the screen). The size is fine at 1280X1024 on my 19" LCD fwiw. Like so:

Hopefully they can make the chat stuff resizable soon. I guess this is just another thing Flagship didn't get QA-tested enough.  icon_neutral

While I have my share of grumbles, I am hopelessly addicted (i should've been asleep 2 hours ago).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:17:03 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 07, 2007, 08:46:56 AM »

Good to see the guild growing smile  I am addicted too, but tonight I am going to play myself some CoD4 with my buddies smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 07, 2007, 08:59:07 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 07, 2007, 08:46:56 AM

Good to see the guild growing smile  I am addicted too, but tonight I am going to play myself some CoD4 with my buddies smile

knocked that one out tonight, so tomorrow night will either be Witcher or Hellgate time.

Because I can,
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2007, 09:30:56 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 07, 2007, 08:59:07 AM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 07, 2007, 08:46:56 AM

knocked that one out tonight, so tomorrow night will either be Witcher or Hellgate time.

Good god Ceekay smile

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: