http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 10:35:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Hellgate: London) Who's in?  (Read 34399 times)
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2007, 03:34:02 AM »

Is it just me or did they bump the difficulty a weee bit with the latest patch?

Anyways, I'm torn as to which character to make my main, my guardian, my evoker, or my engineer...

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2007, 05:12:10 AM »

Quote from: Atragon on November 03, 2007, 03:34:02 AM

Is it just me or did they bump the difficulty a weee bit with the latest patch?

Anyways, I'm torn as to which character to make my main, my guardian, my evoker, or my engineer...

Be warned - if you play Engineer, your main bot (as of right now) WILL lose whatever weapon he has equipped once you quit the game. Doesn't matter if you log out, crash, or even drag his weapon to your inventory first - it will vanish. Longstanding known bug from Beta.

I for one am enjoying the Marksman. Either it's the high rate of fire weapons, or the grenades I can throw every 5 seconds. Not sure which.

And as far as LAN play goes - there isn't any (at least I don't see it). Single Player takes you to a pure SP only game, while MP connects you to their servers (which requires a CD key and such).

As far as lag - there isn't any that I've noticed. I play the MP mode all the time (when I can play, anyway), and I never see it short of the usual 'round the globe and back' ping of 100ms or so.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 05:14:20 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2007, 06:01:47 AM »

Initially I found that I never used these. As I have progressed in the game, they have become invaluable to my survival!

Basic Fire Retardant: adds +750 versus ignition for 60 secs; removes ignition effects.

Basic Antivenom Injector: adds +750 versus poison effects; removes poison effects.

Basic Shock Guard: adds +750 versus shock effects for 60 seconds; removes shock effects.

Basic Gyro Brace: adds +750 versus stun effects for 60 seconds; removes stun effects.

Basic Spectral Brace: adds +750 versus phasing effects for 60 seconds; removes phasing effects.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2007, 06:03:09 AM »

Quote from: VynlSol on November 03, 2007, 06:01:47 AM

Initially I found that I never used these. As I have progressed in the game, they have become invaluable to my survival!

The best part? You don't even need to remember where they're in your inventory - the Ctrl button will automagically use one if you have that condition.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2007, 07:13:09 AM »

I bought the game today from Circuit City for $39 (Man, I hate the drones at Circuit City).  Anyway, the game has played fine for me and I've just poked around a bit and managed to get an Engineer up to level 4 in a little more than an hour.  Seems pretty straightforward and fun so far.

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2007, 10:17:47 AM »

Quote from: VynlSol on November 03, 2007, 06:01:47 AM

Basic Fire Retardant: adds +750 versus ignition for 60 secs; removes ignition effects.
Basic Antivenom Injector: adds +750 versus poison effects; removes poison effects.
Basic Shock Guard: adds +750 versus shock effects for 60 seconds; removes shock effects.
Basic Gyro Brace: adds +750 versus stun effects for 60 seconds; removes stun effects.
Basic Spectral Brace: adds +750 versus phasing effects for 60 seconds; removes phasing effects.

Thanks!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2007, 11:55:25 AM »

Naturally, PC Gamer has a review up....

Of the beta, that is.

Some of the knocks they give the game include the quirky humor of the NPCs (toned back in Patch 0), the fact that the DX9 client runs better than the DX10 one (also fixed with Patch 0), no mention of singleplay not patching with multiplayer (which we had no way of knowing pre-launch), still calling the modes Nightmare and Hell (instead of just Elite)....

Good job..  Roll Eyes Tongue
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2007, 12:36:45 PM »

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that PC Gamer and Eurogamer (UK site) review late Alphas. They'll probably review Call of Duty 4's "E3 code."  Roll Eyes

I particularly find it amusing when Eurogamer reviews multiplayer-only titles that have not released yet. The first time I read one, I was "Huh?" saywhat I mean, I understand how bad print magazine deadlines can be in today's world, it just seems in a way to make the print reviews less relevant, not more.

Well, it sounds fun enough for me to at least dip a toe in the waters. If it's on sale at Circuit City, I'll try to track it down later today.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2007, 01:14:14 PM »

In case anybody didn't know, the Patch 0 is now up for single player.  Looks like a lengthy list of fixes. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2007, 01:18:10 PM »

Dammit.  I hate that you can't add someone to the friends list if they're not online.

Also, how do I make the chat window transparent?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2007, 01:37:22 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 03, 2007, 01:18:10 PM

Also, how do I make the chat window transparent?

You push the ~ key to make it go away. Seriously - I don't think that's an option at all.

And howabout the devs start working on Patch 1 so I can take my gaming machine and actually play the DX9 MP mode (as I now crash 3 seconds into load about 100% of the time now).

Oh, and from the devs (you'll have to log in with your account to confirm what I'm quoting):

Normally we would point you to the direction of dev tracker but with so many posts happening from everyone it is hard to follow. We are doing the best we can right now with getting updates out to you. We totally understand the frustration but let us get subcriptions working and we can then focus on other matters.

So, in other words...yeah, we know that there's a lot of you that CAN'T PLAY THE GAME AT ALL (the Crash forums are a serious mess of posts right now), but instead we're gonna get our subscription feature back online first, and then we'll worry about the people that blew the $50 on a game that doesn't work.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 01:45:31 PM by Destructor » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2007, 02:57:23 PM »

wow, it's sounding like it's a good thing I've got other games that are sucking up all my play time. and they removed the quirky banter from SP?   thumbsdown

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2007, 03:09:32 PM »

Normally we would point you to the direction of dev tracker but with so many posts happening from everyone it is hard to follow. We are doing the best we can right now with getting updates out to you. We totally understand the frustration but let us get subcriptions working and we can then focus on other matters.
Aye, how can they expect people to subscribe to the game if it's not working properly for those folks to begin with?  saywhat

I'm still going to try to find at CC today (think I tracked it down; availability is spotty around here) just so at least I can say "How can you expect me to subscribe when I paid $39.99 for a game that doesn't work?"  tear  slywink

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2007, 03:14:28 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 03, 2007, 03:09:32 PM

Aye, how can they expect people to subscribe to the game if it's not working properly for those folks to begin with?  saywhat

yeah, at this point I'd say I'm out for the Founders subscription.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2007, 04:27:56 PM »

I can't help thinking (maybe I'm just a cynical business reporter  disgust) Namco/Bandai demanded Hellgate release before their quarterly financials (most big companies are issuing these around late October/early November) whether it was remotely ready for release or not (I think only a publisher, esp. one without a huge PC games track record, would force the release of something so buggy, and w/o the subscription feature ready to go). I hope Bioware/Pandemic realize they might face this situation in the future now that they've lost their independence.

And yet I am still looking for this in another hour or so. Just figure I should go for a sale price, if at all. smile Besides, I can't access anything at Hellgate official sites (forums, patch notes even) unless I'm registered as a player. Though I hear that's buggy too.  icon_surprised
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 04:31:28 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: November 03, 2007, 05:19:16 PM »

I mostly plan to play this solo, is it still worth playing it online rather than offline as it seems more likely that patches and fixes will filter through online much quicker than offline?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2007, 05:21:23 PM »

Started up a char today and found it to be pretty enjoyable.  I also found it funny that the game started off in Holborn, which is the area of London I actually spend the most time in when I go there (my office is there).  I laughed.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2007, 06:10:49 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on November 03, 2007, 05:19:16 PM

I mostly plan to play this solo, is it still worth playing it online rather than offline as it seems more likely that patches and fixes will filter through online much quicker than offline?

The online game will definitely be patched quicker than the SP one. And keep in mind that you have NO multiplayer options period if you go SP, so if you're at all interested in playing MP at any time, go play on the MP game.

Yeah, there's a slight bit of lag, but it really doesn't affect much.

And yes, the quirky banter (especially the insane fool at the beginning hub) has been removed. I thought it was an immersion killer anyway, so I'm glad it's gone.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2007, 06:24:30 PM »

Been playing a bit here, a bit there, just have my marksman up to level 4, almost five... having a lot of fun with this actually!  Seeing as how I went in not knowing too much nor hyping myself at all, the $40 pickup at Circuit City has been treating me well thus far.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2007, 07:02:24 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 03, 2007, 06:10:49 PM

Quote from: Reemul on November 03, 2007, 05:19:16 PM

The online game will definitely be patched quicker than the SP one. And keep in mind that you have NO multiplayer options period if you go SP, so if you're at all interested in playing MP at any time, go play on the MP game.

Yeah, there's a slight bit of lag, but it really doesn't affect much.

And yes, the quirky banter (especially the insane fool at the beginning hub) has been removed. I thought it was an immersion killer anyway, so I'm glad it's gone.

OK thanks for that, will do multi think,

So far i have tried Guardian and Marksman and prefer Marksman atm but not too far in.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2007, 07:05:43 PM »

Seems like quite a few are having probs with the game.  It's running fine for me on my now aging system.  I'm not playing an engineer though.  And that bug, if it's the same from beta, also means you can respec the attribute points of your drone each time you log in (actually an advantage).  Just remember to unequip the weapon before you drop.

I'm still having fun with the game.  It's addictive just like Diablo and TQ.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2007, 08:07:15 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on November 03, 2007, 07:05:43 PM

Just remember to unequip the weapon before you drop.

Actually, that doesn't work. Once you equip a weapon to your bot, it WILL vanish whenever you quit the game. Doesn't matter if you quit, crash, or unequip the weapon and then quit.

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2007, 09:39:16 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 03, 2007, 08:07:15 PM

Quote from: Hotfreak on November 03, 2007, 07:05:43 PM

Just remember to unequip the weapon before you drop.

Actually, that doesn't work. Once you equip a weapon to your bot, it WILL vanish whenever you quit the game. Doesn't matter if you quit, crash, or unequip the weapon and then quit.

Feh. Didn't realize that.  Not good.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2007, 09:55:13 PM »

I'm loving it. 

Still happy here.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2007, 10:10:23 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 03, 2007, 09:55:13 PM

I'm loving it. 

Still happy here.

I am also having a blast and have yet to have a single issue.  I have an engineer but I haven't raised my drone high enough to equip items on him yet anyways.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2007, 10:13:08 PM »

I pre-ordered this from Gamestop.com on 9/30/07 with Overnight shipping and it still hasn't arrived yet! WTF?

Is this normal for them?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2007, 10:27:24 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 03, 2007, 10:13:08 PM

I pre-ordered this from Gamestop.com on 9/30/07 with Overnight shipping and it still hasn't arrived yet! WTF?

Is this normal for them?

I never order online from GS, so I don't have a clue. On the flip side, they should refund your delivery fee. biggrin

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2007, 10:32:59 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 03, 2007, 10:27:24 PM

Is this normal for them?

I never order online from GS, so I don't have a clue. On the flip side, they should refund your delivery fee. biggrin

After I wrote that message the first thing I did was shoot off an email to them with that very request or I'd take my business to Best Buy or Circuit City and get the game cheaper from them. Seriously, 9 dollars for shipping - I expect my package the next day.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 03, 2007, 10:32:59 PM

Is this normal for them?

After I wrote that message the first thing I did was shoot off an email to them with that very request or I'd take my business to Best Buy or Circuit City and get the game cheaper from them. Seriously, 9 dollars for shipping - I expect my package the next day.

That is unacceptable in my book.  You should get your money back and tell them to go get bent!

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2007, 03:10:43 AM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 03, 2007, 10:32:59 PM

Is this normal for them?

you need to sneak into their offices at night and replace everyones desktop wallpaper with goat.se.......

Because I can,
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2007, 03:21:11 AM »

Level 5 now and still really enjoying it.  It's not groundbreaking, but I'm digging it.

gellar
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2007, 03:29:17 AM »

I've decided N. Va. Circuit Cities have basically given up on organizing their PC game shelves. I tried two stores today that were listed as having this available for in store pickup (which presumably means they have it in stock), but after combing their cramped shelves (basically, most CCs around here have literally 2, maybe 3 book shelves to cram PC titles on) that are arranged in no order, rhyme or reason whatsoever, I saw all of 3 Hellgate pre-order boxes and no sign of the game.

In fact, the only new PC game you could probably find without a headache is Half Life: The Orange Box because the garish color is so easy to spot even when the little PC games ghetto is a nightmare of spine-side, mostly black boxes.

What made this more amusing is the little Microsoft display cards nearby raving about what a "great platform for gaming" Windows Vista is, and the Games for Windows branding signs (remember all the ballyhoo when that was announced?) that point you to a shambling wreck of a PC games section where the new, old, pre-order, phased out, and "should be thrown in the dumpster" games are all bunched together like fruit at a produce stand. disgust

Thus my long winded say of saying I couldn't find Hellgate to save my life (Best Buy didn't have it either), and given the bad early reviews I'm reading at news sites (some seem completely aghast that the game released in the state it did), I think I'll take a wait and see attitude. Which means I can't post here after this because I'm "not in" and I really wanted and intended to be.  crybaby

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2007, 03:47:53 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 04, 2007, 03:29:17 AM

Thus my long winded say of saying I couldn't find Hellgate to save my life (Best Buy didn't have it either), and given the bad early reviews I'm reading at news sites (some seem completely aghast that the game released in the state it did), I think I'll take a wait and see attitude. Which means I can't post here after this because I'm "not in" and I really wanted and intended to be.  crybaby

You could always say you're 'in' with your fingers crossed behind your back or something. biggrin

And it only gets worse with me - I can't even connect to their frickin' servers now! This game WAS ABSOLUTELY NOT READY for launch!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2007, 04:55:54 AM »

I know this is a longshot... but does anyone have a preorder code?  I didn't preorder and I want to do the "Founder" offer but I can't without a preorder code.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2007, 06:38:10 AM »

Quote from: depward on November 04, 2007, 04:55:54 AM

I know this is a longshot... but does anyone have a preorder code?  I didn't preorder and I want to do the "Founder" offer but I can't without a preorder code.

Not I.

On a diffferent note, I scored the "Time to Die" achievement tonight. Didn't realize there was one, but I got it lol. I had to look at the journal to see what it was for. Turns out you have to kill 50 mobs in less than 30 seconds, and my encounter with a legendary zombie summoner and 4 rare zombie summoners (all bunched up in the corner of a street) made that a snap.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2007, 07:13:36 AM »

Yeah, I am also looking for a preorder code since Gamestop didn't give it to me frown  If anyone has one, please PM me.  smile

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2007, 07:28:56 AM »

Bill Roper has a State of the Game open letter up over at their site.  It smacks of blowing smoke up your ass considering the problems I've been reading about, but take it for what you will. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2007, 01:34:44 PM »

Quote from: depward on November 04, 2007, 04:55:54 AM

Best bet:  Hit a Gamestop and ask if they have any.

Otherwise, prepare to hit Ebay and pay at least $20 for one.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2007, 01:42:43 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 04, 2007, 07:28:56 AM

Bill Roper has a State of the Game open letter up over at their site.  It smacks of blowing smoke up your ass considering the problems I've been reading about, but take it for what you will. 

As far as I'm concerned, they need to fix the fact that people can't play their fucking game instead of getting the subscription service back up.

And the scary part? The crazed Fanbois who were SO happy they could just toss more money towards the devs. I about ripped somebody a new one when he posted that (considering that at the time, I couldn't get into the game AT ALL), but I refrained from doing so.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2007, 02:41:55 PM »

I hope you are able to play soon, Destructor. 

And I sincerely hope that Flagship gets their shit in order and in gear quickly, because this game just gets more fun the more time I put into it.  I am having such a great time with it right now.  Flagship needs to fix things pronto so more people can enjoy.  Knock on wood, my friends and I have had very few problems.

Since my initial impressions, I've turned as many settings up to max as I can, and the graphics are starting to look better to me.

Here's a few pics of my newest Marksman.

LD

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: