http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 07:13:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Hellgate: London) Who's in?  (Read 33770 times)
ROTC1983
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2007, 03:38:45 AM »

Ok, I understand I can't register...the thing is that from what I have read, you have to use the preorder code to be a founder.  I never got one of those frown

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2007, 03:48:23 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 01, 2007, 03:38:45 AM

Ok, I understand I can't register...the thing is that from what I have read, you have to use the preorder code to be a founder.  I never got one of those frown

ok, gotcha.

wait-  sonuva  mad  well, I guess that could make my decision easier.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2007, 06:41:37 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 01, 2007, 03:48:23 AM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 01, 2007, 03:38:45 AM

ok, gotcha.

wait-  sonuva  mad  well, I guess that could make my decision easier.

I am pissed, because the gamestop guys never gave me the preorder box...

Also, what server are we playing on?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 08:08:00 AM by ROTC1983 » Logged

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2007, 12:20:15 PM »

An update:

The preorder sold for $274.05.

And yes, he paid via Paypal.  Was very worth taking the $8 hit.  Holy hell.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2007, 12:25:41 PM »

Zarkon:  That's really awesome.  Nice job!

- - - -

I'm not sure it's necessary to start an impressions thread as this one should be just fine I think.  So, here are some of my initial impressions of Hellgate:London:

Not having played the demo or the beta left me with some pre-conceived ideas on what the game would be like, and I will say those ideas were pretty much right-on.  I have noticed this game seems to be a bit more polarizing than I anticipated as well from all I have read, with the negative voices being a bit louder, but that is somewhat immaterial I guess.

Graphics:  I think they are ok.  I certainly wouldn't call them bad, but I was expecting more detail.  Let me be more specific.  I think the character models themselves are weak.  The faces specifically are borderline embarrassing.  The animations of the player character and the monsters are poor, especially in regards to movement.  The swinging of swords or big blubbery arms aren't nearly as poor, which is actually a very positive thing due to the fact that once a character is covered in armor, they look much better.  The armor pieces, and for the most part the weapons I have seen, look to be a notch or two above the characters themselves.  Therefore, I would imagine once a character is fully decked out in gear, and has his swords swinging crazily in battle, things will be more appealing.  Spell effects are fine.  Will they win any awards?  I highly doubt it, but they are certainly passable and in some cases even cool.  The limited number of demons I have seen are also ok.  Animations aside, I think some of the demons look pretty good, especially the smaller ones with less bulk to show the flaws.  

One thing that strikes me as interesting is that everything looks better when it's further away, and you can't really get a close look at it.  Since I am playing two ranged classes, I am not seeing too many creatures up close, and that is fine by me.  Just as an example, when I play Guild Wars, I actually want to get close to the enemy monsters because they look so excellent.  It's just the opposite here, at least at this point.  The environments themselves seem fine so far.  Nothing to write home about, as they remind me of an older First Person Shooter type graphics engine, but nothing horrendous either.  I do like the post-apocolyptic sci-fi type settings, so I am a bit biased toward thinking positive here I guess.  The physics-engine reminds me of a FPS type game as well.  Certain things can be broken and shattered, or blown up (like barrels).  If you catch a demon in one of these explosions, you will see it fly into a wall at times, which is pretty cool.

Sound:  I think the sound is fine.  I had to play with my headphones on last night, so I can't comment on the 5.1 stuff yet.  I like good surround effects in games, so if it's done well, I will be pleased.  Explosions and guns going off are well done though.  Music is fine.  It seems to ramp up a bit when a big fight is coming.  Spells going off have some nice sounds as well.  I would guess most people will find the dialogue and voice acting to be poor, but that kind of stuff isn't a big deal to me.  It's hard to figure out what Flagship was going for in terms of comedy vs. realism when you hear some of the NPC's talk.  I do understand the complaints from people that wanted it to be less tongue-in-cheek though.

Gameplay:  I can't comment on gameplay from a melee character's perspective, as I made a blademaster and lasted all of about 6 monster kills when I decided I didn't like it.  So I will talk about it from the perspective of a ranged character.  I made all four ranged classes and tried them out a bit.  I finally decided that I will play a Marksman and an Evoker through the game most likely, as I found them to be the most fun for me.  In general, I like the gameplay.  The targetting is neat.  I play from the first person perspective (something I thought I would never do).  I really enjoy shooting things with rifles and seeing the targeting reticule get larger the longer I keep my finger on the trigger.  Shooting in bursts keeps the gun more accurate.  That's not something I expected from a game like this.  If you are dual-wielding pistols, you can map the right mouse button to be the right gun and the left button the left gun.  This is pretty cool in the way it feels.  Different weapon setups can also be mapped to F1-F4, which is great.  As an evoker, at least with the starting weapons, you don't get the really fast rate of fire, but there is no reticule per se.  It's more of either you have something targeted and within range, or you don't.  It works fine from a gameplay standpoint in my opinion.  The effects of your skills with both classes is cool.  After getting my first couple skill points in both classes, I got to experience a short range very inaccurate but continuous-fire spell for the evoker, and a grenade for the marksman.  They are cool skills and makes the fighting more enjoyable.  There is absolutely nothing ground-breaking about the gameplay so far.  It's pretty standard stuff.  But I think the combination of the premise, the backstory, the sci-fi theme, and the feel of the action make the gameplay fun.  At least so far.  Hubs function similar to Guild Wars.  You go into a hub, get a bunch of quests, sell some stuff, buy some stuff, go to a portal, and then you leave the hub and go to an instance area.  I don't mind this, even if it's far from seamless.  It's a matter of taste I guess.

Items & Stuff:  Initially, I really think this is the main draw of the game.  Getting stuff, equipping it, selling it, breaking it down for parts, enhancing it, etc...  I don't know too much about it yet, but it's obviously a big draw.   The game strikes me as being one where items/equipment are a huge factor of how things play out, whereas skill choices are not as big as in many games of this type.  This is opposite to Guild Wars, where the skills you equip are more important to playstyle than the items you equip.  For me, it's a nice change of pace.  I'm not saying it's better or worse, just different for me personally, which is cool.  I believe the "depth" of the game, if you can even call it that, will come from the equipment and combinations of add-ons and enhancements you can give them.  If that sort of thing pops your toaster, you'll probably really like the way Hellgate incorporated this whole mechanic.  I haven't had a chance to play the game long enough to make any type of informed comment on the environments as far as them repeating or becoming boring.  I suppose I could see it happening though.

Overall, so far, I can see the game being a great purchase for 40 bucks.  You go out, you kill stuff, you get stuff, you get more powerful, you do some quests, you kill more stuff, you watch some cool effects as you lay waste to huge groups of bad guys.  You can do it alone or do it with friends.  The whole subscription thing is meaningless to me at this point.  I don't find myself thinking about it one bit while I'm playing the game.  I went into it not even caring.  I spent 40 bucks and got a package, as-is, that is worth the price in my opinion.  I get to play with some friends and kill some stuff using some cool, tricked out guns or magic spells.  That's good enough for me at this early stage.  I'm sure the little nits will come as I play more (like the HUD which I think needs to be scalable), but my initial impressions from a fun-factor standpoint are very positive, even if from a technical standpoint I am underwhelmed.  On the other hand, if you pass on this game, do I think you will be missing something "grand"?  From what I've experienced so far, not by a long shot.

[more to come I'm sure]

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2007, 12:55:21 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 01, 2007, 12:20:15 PM

An update:

The preorder sold for $274.05.

And yes, he paid via Paypal.  Was very worth taking the $8 hit.  Holy hell.

I realize the dollar isn't doing so well on the world market, but holy shitballs!  Who would pay that sort of money for a silly preorder box? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2007, 01:50:28 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 01, 2007, 12:55:21 PM

I realize the dollar isn't doing so well on the world market, but holy shitballs!  Who would pay that sort of money for a silly preorder box? 

Those items that color your character into something cool must REALLY be worth something to the morons of the world.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2007, 02:36:14 PM »

Different weapon setups can also be mapped to F1-F4, which is great.

plus when you do that it removes them from your inventory list, freeing up some more room  thumbsup

When the servers were down last night I played some SP and noticed the NPC's ramble on like they did in the beta, where as in MP they don't say much for some reason.  Also, in SP it seems like I'm levelling quicker- I hit level 2 before even getting to the first station.  Granted, it was the very last monster I killed in that section but before I never hit level 2 until I was doing the Holbrook quests.  The whole section where you go after Werts leg gave me enough XP for another level too.

I did have one crash last night, but it was video driver related according to Vista.

I wish they had a way to randomize the opening section.  After playing the beta and setting up 3 characters for MP it's going to get old soon.

As for which sever I'm on: Shulgoth.

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2007, 02:47:15 PM »

From my understanding, the multiplayer "portion" of the game auto-patches and the single-player "portion" does not.  I wonder if that has anything to do with the different things you're experiencing?

I'm not sure I understand the difference to be honest, and what I heard could be wrong, but it's food for thought.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2007, 02:56:26 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 01, 2007, 02:47:15 PM

From my understanding, the multiplayer "portion" of the game auto-patches and the single-player "portion" does not.  I wonder if that has anything to do with the different things you're experiencing?

I'm not sure I understand the difference to be honest, and what I heard could be wrong, but it's food for thought.

No, you're completely correct - SP and MP are COMPLETELY different games. MP has the current patches (no crazy bambling of the NPCs, character adjustments, MUCH better framerate, etc), while SP is still basically in beta stage (as it's basically on the patch before the release version).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2007, 02:57:06 PM »

The official forums are reporting that SP is currently unpatched.

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2007, 02:58:16 PM »

I'm also on Shulgoth,

Characters:
Atragon - Guardian
Cyrina - Summoner (Going to reroll to Evoker and keep the name)
Cybil - Marksman (Going to ditch the name and reroll to Engineer)

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2007, 02:58:45 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 01, 2007, 02:56:26 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on November 01, 2007, 02:47:15 PM

No, you're completely correct - SP and MP are COMPLETELY different games. MP has the current patches (no crazy bambling of the NPCs, character adjustments, MUCH better framerate, etc), while SP is still basically in beta stage (as it's basically on the patch before the release version).

Darnit, I liked the crazy babbling.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
unbreakable
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2007, 03:06:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 01, 2007, 02:36:14 PM

Werts leg

LOL, nice.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2007, 03:12:59 PM »

I'm on Shulgoth, as well.  Would love to get some group play in this weekend.

Great impressions, btw, Lockdown.  I think you hit many nails on the head.  This is definitely a game for loot whores.  In fact, it aims squarely at the (large) portion of the D2 crowd who always salivated about having D2 in full 3D.

I had the same reaction as you did to the melee classes when I first started the game.  They animate clunkily and it didn't feel very fluid whacking mobs over and over until the loot popped out.  I would suggest trying a blademaster again (now my favorite class).  After a while, you get used to the rhythm of melee and the skills (e.g. Charge, sweeping strike) begin to expand the feng shui of zipping around at hyper speed, herding and laying waste to massive numbers of baddies.  Further, Blademasters are a bit more vulnerable than the other classes because, while they are pyrex cannons, they are always in the thick of it.  Makes the easy early stages a bit more exciting.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2007, 03:47:12 PM »

On Shulgoth as well.  Have a Blademaster named Faide

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2007, 07:33:42 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on November 01, 2007, 03:12:59 PM

...I had the same reaction as you did to the melee classes when I first started the game.  They animate clunkily and it didn't feel very fluid whacking mobs over and over until the loot popped out.  I would suggest trying a blademaster again (now my favorite class).  After a while, you get used to the rhythm of melee and the skills (e.g. Charge, sweeping strike) begin to expand the feng shui of zipping around at hyper speed, herding and laying waste to massive numbers of baddies....

OK.  I will try a blademaster again at some point then.

LD

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2007, 08:37:06 PM »

Quote from: infoghost on November 01, 2007, 02:57:06 PM

I sincerely hope that's due to some freak glitch, and not due to some completely moronic boneheaded decision.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2007, 08:43:50 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 01, 2007, 08:37:06 PM

Quote from: infoghost on November 01, 2007, 02:57:06 PM

I sincerely hope that's due to some freak glitch, and not due to some completely moronic boneheaded decision.

Considering how many major issues the game has right now, that can be argued both ways.

And BTW - there's technically only one server right now (the US one). The only way you'd get to see the other server is if you punch All Servers and ignore the fact that the other one is labeled as the European server.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2007, 10:05:47 PM »

With all of the problems this game seemingly has (not perfect launch, lots of little issues, etc. etc.)... I picked it up.  First PC game purchase in quite some time.  Basically, I wanted an MMO sort of feel (think Guild Wars) with a cooler setting and not having to require the timesink FFXI had when I played it... when I had the time to sink.

First character I created is Offred.  She's in the Shulgoth realm as well.  Marks(wo)man.  Though, I'm having caps lock issues - apparently my caps lock was on when I created my account name and password, so I need to have it capitalized when I login.  And for whatever reason, on my character select screen is says "Offred" but the in-game chat has it as "offred."

Whatevs though.  Good stuff thus far.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
unbreakable
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2007, 01:32:34 AM »

I poked around teh intarweb, read a bit about the game.  If I see it on sale somewhere (not GoGamer, since they screwed up my last order), I'll pick it up.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2007, 01:50:28 AM »

I'm liking my marksman a bit more than my Evoker right now.  I think it has a lot to do with finding a 'skillful rocket launcher' with a built in Napalm Strike skill that I can use as long as the gun is equipped and in-hand.  Talk about fun!  Seeing the rocket (or napalm) go off, and having an entire area covered with fire is just too cool. 

I've been running into these demons that warp in out of nowhere (usually in dark corners of dungeons) and then attack.  I'm running the game pretty loud, and everytime it happens, I think I jump about a foot out of my chair.  I'm having more fun with the game than I thought I would be, there is no doubt about it.

The things you can do to weapons/armor in terms of augmentation is something that will keep my interest for quite some time I think.

I included a pic of Poncho in one of the early hubs.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 09:49:34 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2007, 12:45:57 PM »

I want to comment on something I mentioned briefly before, because I think it's an important feature in a game like this, and they did a pretty good job in implemenation.

F1 / F2 / F3 are hotkeyed to three weapons configurations that you can set up.  It's relatively versatile in that the setup for each config. consists of four parts.  Your Right Hand Slot, Left Hand Slot, Rt. Mouse button action, Lft. Mouse button action.  You can also have the same weapon in multiple configurations.  Here's an example using my Marksman, but I'm guessing it applies equally to the melee classes:

F1:  Rt. Hand = XM155 Rifle.  Lft Hand = XM155 Rifle (it's a two-handed weapon).   LMB: Shoot Weapon in Rt. Hand.  RMB: Throw Grenade Skill.

F2:  Rt. Hand =  X55 Pistol.  Lft Hand = X45 Fire Pistol.  LMB: Shoot Weapons in Rt & Lft. Hand Simultaneously.  RMB: Rapid Fire Skill.

F3:  Rt. Hand = X201 Rocket Launcher.  Lft Hand = X201 Rocket Launcher (2-handed wpn).  LMB: Shoot Weapon  RMB: Napalm Strike Skill.

or you could take the XM155 Rifle and put it into config F2, which really just makes it the same as F1 but has a different RMB skill.  Early on, the choices may be easy, as you have a small pool of things to choose from, but I'm guessing later on it will be much more important.  I wouldn't be surprised if people start asking for more Fkeys to be added for this function as they level up either.

The F-buttons can be hit during battle and the switch takes place almost immediately, which is also helpful.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 12:48:34 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2007, 01:07:20 PM »

Nice writeups Lockdown.

Based on my very limited playtime I agree with just about everything you have said.  When I played the demo I made the mistake of playing as a melee character, which I didn't care for at all.  I bought the game yesterday and set up a marksman based upon your recommendations and I like the game much better.

This is the 1st PC game I have purchased since Company of Heroes last year.  My PC only runs it at 1280/720 in DX9 mode so the graphics aren't great.  But I think it will be fun in that Diablo 2 loot run way.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2007, 02:25:12 PM »

You know, while we had the weaponset swap function in Diablo 2 and Titan Quest, I rarely ever used it in those games aside from switching between ranged/melee or 1h+shield/2h. In HGL so far, I have three weaponsets readied for my engineer, all guns of course, and I actually switch between them frequently as the combat situation changes, as they all serve various purposes not just in damage, but in functionality.

That alone is a MASSIVE step up for me in fun factor over Diablo 2 & Titan Quest. Nice to have a loot-grabber game that actually makes me use lots of goodies rather than just sticking with one set! icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2007, 02:40:38 PM »

deno:  I progress pretty slow in these games, as I play so many things simultaneously, so if you have any marksman tips as you level up, please share.

LD

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2007, 02:45:46 PM »

I didn't get a chance to play at all last night thanks to The Witcher.  gah, too many games.....

Because I can,
depward

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2007, 02:58:08 PM »

This may be a general hardware problem, but I thought I'd ask since it applies to Hellgate - I have a Marksman.  Have a couple of pistols I have as F2 and my main gun as F1.  However, I can't seem to swap... at all.  My F1-3 keys are not responding and I'm not sure why... anyone have any insight?

Having fun with this, even if it doesn't look at all optimal on my computer.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2007, 03:03:37 PM »

Quote from: depward on November 02, 2007, 02:58:08 PM

This may be a general hardware problem, but I thought I'd ask since it applies to Hellgate - I have a Marksman.  Have a couple of pistols I have as F2 and my main gun as F1.  However, I can't seem to swap... at all.  My F1-3 keys are not responding and I'm not sure why... anyone have any insight?

Having fun with this, even if it doesn't look at all optimal on my computer.

Do you have a function key to enable the F keys on your keyboard (sort of like Numlock)?  With mine, I have to press it after every restart to get it to start registering F1, F2, etc. 
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »

Around level 13 with my BM and farther in to the story than I got on my level 15 beta character.  This seems odd since I always do all the quests and make sure to clear every level while minimizing level repetition (at least on this run through).  Anyway, I finally got to a level I find extremely challenging as it exposes one of the current weaknesses of my build (single target damage) and my gear (lack of stun defense).  Lots of huge enemies with shields and large health pools and the ability to stun me from range.  Gone now are my worries of HG:L being too easy.

Blademaster is proving quite squishy, too, which really ups the challenge.  Hit and run tactics with lots of speed and better defenses will be my next development focus.

Still hooked.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2007, 04:10:13 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on November 02, 2007, 03:53:29 PM

Around level 13 with my BM and farther in to the story than I got on my level 15 beta character.  This seems odd since I always do all the quests and make sure to clear every level while minimizing level repetition (at least on this run through).  Anyway, I finally got to a level I find extremely challenging as it exposes one of the current weaknesses of my build (single target damage) and my gear (lack of stun defense).  Lots of huge enemies with shields and large health pools and the ability to stun me from range.  Gone now are my worries of HG:L being too easy.

Blademaster is proving quite squishy, too, which really ups the challenge.  Hit and run tactics with lots of speed and better defenses will be my next development focus.

Still hooked.

is it a gradual ramp up in difficulty, or is it one of those 'BAM! Supertough enemies out of the blue!' moments?

Because I can,
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2007, 05:10:26 PM »

Hotfreak or CK:

That post made me think of something I've been wanting to ask.

I've noticed there are 'stims' you can buy from the vendor that have a positive effect on stuff like speed, or being stunned, etc...

Have you tried any of those yet and can you comment on how they actually work?  I'm guessing they are like a buff that lasts for xx seconds, but more specifically, are they "cures" you would take after you get stunned or slowed, or are they something you should pop beforehand to increase your resistances for a short while?

LD

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2007, 05:14:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 02, 2007, 04:10:13 PM

Still hooked.

is it a gradual ramp up in difficulty, or is it one of those 'BAM! Supertough enemies out of the blue!' moments?
Somewhere in between the 2.  The difficulty was steadily (2 steps forward, 1 step back) increasing, but this was definitely a leap forward.  Perhaps it was more situational too.  It was as if I had entered a level where each mob was suddenly a mini-boss -- none of them more difficult than I had dealt with before, but much deadlier in combination.

I would be interested to test out other classes on this level as well.  BMs kill fast but are VERY vulnerable.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2007, 05:14:33 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 02, 2007, 05:10:26 PM

Hotfreak or CK:

I've noticed there are 'stims' you can buy from the vendor that have a positive effect on stuff like speed, or being stunned, etc...

Have you tried any of those yet and can you comment on how they actually work?  I'm guessing they are like a buff that lasts for xx seconds, but more specifically, are they "cures" you would take after you get stunned or slowed, or are they something you should pop beforehand to increase your resistances for a short while?

Depends on the item.. antivenom would be used to remoe toxin effects... others are more a resistance buff.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2007, 05:16:36 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on November 02, 2007, 05:14:02 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 02, 2007, 04:10:13 PM

Still hooked.

Somewhere in between the 2.  The difficulty was steadily (2 steps forward, 1 step back) increasing, but this was definitely a leap forward.  Perhaps it was more situational too.  It was as if I had entered a level where each mob was suddenly a mini-boss -- none of them more difficult than I had dealt with before, but much deadlier in combination.

I would be interested to test out other classes on this level as well.  BMs kill fast but are VERY vulnerable.

I was cruising along with my engineer doing just fine until I hit the brain of 314.  At that point I started getting crushed.  Alot of it had to do with my equipment not getting upgraded in a while, it also has a lot to dow ith my spec.  I was trying to avoid using the drone but it just wasn't working without having the drone to keep the attention off of me so I put a few points into it and things have smoothed out a bit.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2007, 05:31:44 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 02, 2007, 05:14:33 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on November 02, 2007, 05:10:26 PM

Hotfreak or CK:

Depends on the item.. antivenom would be used to remoe toxin effects... others are more a resistance buff.
Haven't used "potions" a lot but they do seem to have different uses.  One boosts shields for a while, some boost resistances (though I'm not sure exactly what "Stun Strength" means -- stun is both a type of damage and a status effect), some cure effects.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2007, 11:49:35 PM »

I'm back from my Houston business trip. Couldn't find it at Best Buy tonight (bizarrely, my local store's inundated with Tabula Rasa Collector's Editions  icon_confused). I'm too tired to comb this thread. What's the verdict so far?  ninja2

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2007, 12:00:21 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 02, 2007, 11:49:35 PM

I'm back from my Houston business trip. Couldn't find it at Best Buy tonight (bizarrely, my local store's inundated with Tabula Rasa Collector's Editions  icon_confused). I'm too tired to comb this thread. What's the verdict so far?  ninja2

Buggy and broken. I've had nothing but problems getting the game to run (yet beta ran fine), and the times I do get it to run, there's a major memory leak which causes me to crash in 60 minutes of gameplay unless I turn the texture detail to High (instead of Very High). It really shows graphically too, IMHO.

Reading the official bug forum is upsetting, IMHO - there are a LOT of people with the same exact problem as mine.

However, when the game does work, it's fun to play. *shrugs*

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2007, 12:53:31 AM »

I was reading something on Blue's News about the lag being pretty intolerable (though they're apparently trying to trace the problems). It really doesn't sound like how they wanted their first game's launch to go.  icon_confused Thanks for the quick summary though. smile

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2007, 03:14:07 AM »

Anyone know how this plays on systems with older video cards?  I wanted to try this on my laptop.  My laptop can run Half-Life 2 with all settings on high pretty well, and has everything but a good video card.

I suppose there's some CD key or nasty copy protection that would make this impossible to play on both my home PC and laptop at the same time via LAN?

Despite not wanting this game before, my friend has expressed an interest in the game for co-op so now I'm tentatively looking into it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 03:16:34 AM by Turtle » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: