http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:04:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Hellgate: London) Who's in?  (Read 33809 times)
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2007, 06:46:56 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on October 30, 2007, 06:25:46 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on October 30, 2007, 06:16:15 PM

Well I think a more accurate comparison might be to Diablo II... but by the time the expansion came out, I was already far past burned out on the game.  So really, I'm not sure what it's staying power will be, even if they do make a good game.
Who knows what will happen with subscription content?  That remains to be seen.  But it's much more likely they can justify additional (wo)manpower with an income stream as opposed to the promise of one with an expansion.  Further, it seems, from my limited engagement so far, that content will be the real issue with this game.  The core gameplay is fun.  The loot collection is fun.  The item modification possibilities are cool....

If the new content merely offers more to do and more/better items and doesn't introduce new tactical elements or build strategies, subscription lives will most likely end up fairly short.  They have an incentive, at least, to come through.

See now, I disagree. I still play Diablo 2 & the expansion to this day. All I've wanted from Diablo 2 is more content (more skills, gear, levels, and enemies with new abilities/challenges to overcome). That's what I want from the ongoing content with Hellgate. If they provide that, they'll have a keeper on their hands for me and those like me. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on October 30, 2007, 06:46:56 PM

Quote from: Hotfreak on October 30, 2007, 06:25:46 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on October 30, 2007, 06:16:15 PM

Well I think a more accurate comparison might be to Diablo II... but by the time the expansion came out, I was already far past burned out on the game.  So really, I'm not sure what it's staying power will be, even if they do make a good game.
Who knows what will happen with subscription content?  That remains to be seen.  But it's much more likely they can justify additional (wo)manpower with an income stream as opposed to the promise of one with an expansion.  Further, it seems, from my limited engagement so far, that content will be the real issue with this game.  The core gameplay is fun.  The loot collection is fun.  The item modification possibilities are cool....

If the new content merely offers more to do and more/better items and doesn't introduce new tactical elements or build strategies, subscription lives will most likely end up fairly short.  They have an incentive, at least, to come through.

See now, I disagree. I still play Diablo 2 & the expansion to this day. All I've wanted from Diablo 2 is more content (more skills, gear, levels, and enemies with new abilities/challenges to overcome). That's what I want from the ongoing content with Hellgate. If they provide that, they'll have a keeper on their hands for me and those like me. icon_biggrin
I guess what I was trying to say was that more items and areas mean little without more options to change the ways you can play the game.  New, more difficult bosses with different abilities fits this bill, as does implementing more skills/more classes.  I hope they spend their money making sure the gameplay stays fresh as well as giving us more tilesets and weapons/armor.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2007, 07:35:39 PM »

Ah, I see. I gotcha, and I fully agree. icon_biggrin

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2007, 08:57:59 PM »

BTW, supposedly they restarted the Beta Servers about 25 minutes ago (4:30pm EST).  Regular purchasers can get in soon.

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2007, 09:22:41 PM »

Oooooh smile, thanks for letting me know Hotfreak...almost forgot they were going to reopen the servers.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2007, 10:02:38 PM »

Up and running.

I just signed in and created my 1st character...feel free to add DeimusVespillo to your friend lists. I'm going to be too busy to really go at it hard tonight or tomorrow, but Thursday and Friday nights are going to be a hack-a-thon. smile
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2007, 10:12:04 PM »

Darnit, I uninstalled the beta... guess I get to reinstall it.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2007, 10:15:45 PM »

Crap, Gamestop didn't give me a beta key...Oh well, I will wait one day smile

unbreakable
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2007, 10:20:25 PM »

Now since they are charging subscriptions, does this mean no boxed (or pay-for-download) "expansions"?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2007, 12:10:52 AM »

According to that Shacknews article (or perhaps another article I read somewhere), I think Roper basically said, "maybe at some point" or something along those lines.

Which I personally translate as, "Let's wait and see how things go with this unorthodox pay-for-content idea and make a decision later."

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:14:07 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2007, 12:14:33 AM »

I got a call from Aeris saying 'Hellgate London should be in Wednesday Evening'.  should be?  why do I have the feeling it won't be? especially as I've never had them say it would be in during the evening.  I did jump into the game using the beta client though and created Carver the Blademaster, Set the Marksman and Karina the Summoner (all 3 names were already taken when I tried to use them in the beta, but now they are mine!!!!)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2007, 12:26:07 PM »

In as Arkon the Engineer, Aryssa the Evoker and Gralen the summoner.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2007, 12:31:39 PM »

I just had a couple of my really good friends from High School (who I talk to off and on) call me and ask if my brother and I were getting Hellgate London. 

"We should all hook up and play together.  It would be fun!" they say.

Guess that takes me right off the fence, now doesn't it?

I love that aspect of our hobby, truth be told.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2007, 12:33:55 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 31, 2007, 12:31:39 PM

I just had a couple of my really good friends from High School (who I talk to off and on) call me and ask if my brother and I were getting Hellgate London. 

I'm jealous. I don't have one friend in real life who plays computer games. All together now...AWWWWWW.... crybaby
Seriously though, I'm sure I would be enjoying this hobby so much more with real-life friends interested in it as well.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2007, 01:34:51 PM »

First off:

AWWWWWW, for Arclight.

B:

In as Xflagger(Blademaster), BrotherDaddy(Guardian(someone has to do it)) and IpsoFacto(Engineer).

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2007, 03:54:04 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on October 31, 2007, 12:33:55 PM

I'm jealous. I don't have one friend in real life who plays computer games. All together now...AWWWWWW.... crybaby
Seriously though, I'm sure I would be enjoying this hobby so much more with real-life friends interested in it as well.

i know we've butted heads before elsewhere, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy a game or two together.  add me to your friend's list, if you'd like.  i have two characters so far:  saij and caij.  i'll probably make up a third tonight and go with the highly imaginative name gaij.   icon_biggrin

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2007, 06:27:07 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 31, 2007, 03:54:04 PM

Quote from: Arclight on October 31, 2007, 12:33:55 PM

i know we've butted heads before elsewhere, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy a game or two together.  add me to your friend's list, if you'd like.  i have two characters so far:  saij and caij.  i'll probably make up a third tonight and go with the highly imaginative name gaij.   icon_biggrin

Damn decent of ya Hepcat. If I had the game I'd take you up on that. My system is so iffy I'm probably waiting on the upgrade before buying any newer games.
Thanks.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2007, 07:23:53 PM »

So where is the guild information?

Or is Ron under lock & key in study mode?

LD

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2007, 07:41:45 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 31, 2007, 07:23:53 PM

So where is the guild information?

Or is Ron under lock & key in study mode?

You need a subscription to start a guild and the facility for handling subs has been down for a little bit. frown

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2007, 08:22:47 PM »

Got my characters created last night:

Farscry - Engineer
Althalus - Summoner
Brienne - Guardian (too appropriate!)

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2007, 08:30:14 PM »

Just curious, how does the Founder's subscription work?

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2007, 08:38:57 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on October 31, 2007, 08:30:14 PM

Just curious, how does the Founder's subscription work?

You buy it for $150, you get a permanent subscription to the elite account, and you pray that the game doesn't die an early death or that Flagship stops doing substantial content updates. icon_twisted

I'll be trying the sub, but I'm wary of any kind of permanent sub with a high cost of entry.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2007, 09:14:22 PM »

How long will the founder opportunity stay open?  Thanks for the responses so far.

Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2007, 09:29:15 PM »

Which server? Shulgoth or Abbadon
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2007, 09:40:20 PM »

So I noticed on Ebay that the preorder kits are sellnig...pretty well.  About $15-25 each, for items that are $5-10 in stores.

So I was at Wal-Mart this morning (where I work) and picked up the last 3 we had, since HGL came out today.

Kept one, put the other two on Ebay for $25 BIN with a 99 cent starting bid.

One sold in less than an hour at $25.  The other got nibbles.

It's now at....$41.

Let's just say that these two preorder boxes have paid for my copy of HGL, and I'm tempted to make a hour drive to see if I can score more.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2007, 10:01:19 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on October 31, 2007, 09:14:22 PM

How long will the founder opportunity stay open?  Thanks for the responses so far.

I think the last shot to sign up a founder account is the end of November. I'm tempted, but with a lack of guarantees, can't risk it with my budget.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2007, 10:07:42 PM »

Either I'm getting fake-bidded to death over on Ebay...or I'm in the middle of a bidding war with possibly two guys in Germany (where they don't have wal-Mart, making this hard to get for them).  The bid jumped from $41 to...$160....to $200. 

WTF.
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2007, 10:17:06 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on October 31, 2007, 09:40:20 PM

So I noticed on Ebay that the preorder kits are sellnig...pretty well.  About $15-25 each, for items that are $5-10 in stores.

So I was at Wal-Mart this morning (where I work) and picked up the last 3 we had, since HGL came out today.

Kept one, put the other two on Ebay for $25 BIN with a 99 cent starting bid.

One sold in less than an hour at $25.  The other got nibbles.

It's now at....$41.

Let's just say that these two preorder boxes have paid for my copy of HGL, and I'm tempted to make a hour drive to see if I can score more.

SHIT! I just bought the collectors edition at Best Buy and the had 5 or 6 pre order boxes on the shelf. Which are now 40 miles away....
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2007, 10:20:43 PM »

Yeah, I think they're going for $10-15 each.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2007, 11:03:10 PM »

I asked the guy at BB what they do with the pre-order boxes after the game has come out and I guess they just sell them at the $10 price until they are gone.
My thought was, if I bought the game today and took the preorder box to the counter, why wouldnt they just apply the $10 from the preorder box to the game?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2007, 11:11:14 PM »

Okey dokey... I'm in.

Poncho (Engineer) and Brynn (Marksman).

I tried the melee classes and hated them.  I am very glad they have ranged classes in the game, that's for sure.

No respecs is going to make placing points in the skills a hair-pulling experience for me.

I hope you all went with Shugoth...

Oh, please tell me there is a petition somewhere for the devs to decrease the default hud size.  It is enormous and it doesn't have to be. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:13:56 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2007, 11:13:56 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on October 31, 2007, 09:14:22 PM

I think it shuts down a month after launch.

And yes, the game is still as buggy as the beta was - I crash (apparently running out of memory) every 45-60 minutes without fail.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2007, 11:17:40 PM »

In as Goldchamp
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2007, 12:51:04 AM »

infoghost - engineer

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2007, 01:29:26 AM »

OK.  So I went peeking into the settings xml file in my Hellgate folder and found a UIscaler setting which is currently at 0.  Me messing around with xml files is scary in and of itself, but I'm going to see what I can figure out.  Probably a whole lot of nothin'.

I like the game.  I think the graphics are slightly above average at best, the animations pretty much stink, but it's a lot of fun so far. There's a lot of little negatives to be honest, but it's not worth mentioning at this point.  Loot whores should probably apply.

LD

Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2007, 01:40:10 AM »

Are the servers down? I can't even get to the webpage..
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2007, 01:47:51 AM »

So....it's at $274.  I'm thinking it's full of fake bids, but I'm going to close the auction in the morning.  If this is real, this is completely insane.
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2007, 03:13:57 AM »

I am kinda pissed...I guess you have to preorder to be a founder...well, I did preorder but they never game me the preorder box.  Does that mean I won't be able to pay the founder price?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2007, 03:33:57 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on November 01, 2007, 03:13:57 AM

I am kinda pissed...I guess you have to preorder to be a founder...well, I did preorder but they never game me the preorder box.  Does that mean I won't be able to pay the founder price?

last I looked the subscriptions were offline completely.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2007, 03:35:26 AM »

Subscriptions AND Multiplayer are completely offline as of last check. Go read the forums (if they're working) in the meantime - they're filled with bug complaints of issues that were identified all throughout beta and should've been fixed before launch.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: