http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 07:02:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Half Life 2] Well I just did that for nothing!  (Read 2319 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2008, 01:10:43 AM »

First time playing through HL2 and I saw there was an achievement for playing through Ravenholm just using the grav gun, so I figured I would give it a shot.  Made it through, taking a lot longer in spots I could have simply pulled out a gun. Didn't get the achievement  icon_mad Supposedly, even if you pull out the crowbar and swing it, it ruins it.  But I don't remember ever pulling the trigger on any other weapon.  icon_mad

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 01:23:16 AM »

I'm a huge achievement-whore, but even I don't bother with ones like those...they are incredibly lame
Kemper Boyd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 01:56:44 AM »

Jee-zus! How did you deal with the fast zombies - especially during the "gutter rattling" scene right before riding the tram over to Father Gregori (sp?)?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 02:06:37 AM »

Well, one could argue that even if you got the achievement, you did that for nothing.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 02:17:57 AM »

Quote from: Kemper Boyd on March 21, 2008, 01:56:44 AM

Jee-zus! How did you deal with the fast zombies - especially during the "gutter rattling" scene right before riding the tram over to Father Gregori (sp?)?
Yeah, that's as far as I got before giving up on that particular achievement.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 02:45:49 AM »

Quote from: Laner on March 21, 2008, 02:17:57 AM

Quote from: Kemper Boyd on March 21, 2008, 01:56:44 AM

Yeah, that's as far as I got before giving up on that particular achievement.

Believe it or not, you can just run around in circles and you are able to stay out of their grasp until the basket comes over. I panicked at that point and just started darting around and surprised myself.

The hardest part for me was right before you go down the building elevator and those guys crash through the skylights.  That one took me a few times to get through.

The experience wasn't a complete waste - I learned that wall radiators are really effective at taking out zombies.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 02:53:35 AM by Teggy » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 03:00:05 AM »

I don't want to sound like one of those obnoxious teenagers, but that achievement was EZ, loozers!

Actually, I was expecting it to be a royal pain, but as long as you keep moving, it's not too tough. 

BTW, I can't remember, but I think you might get the achievement before the fast zombies show up.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 05:14:44 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on March 21, 2008, 02:06:37 AM

Well, one could argue that even if you got the achievement, you did that for nothing.

that is, until Home comes out and has 'Accomplishments', right?  even though it's the same exact thing as Achievements...
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 08:09:17 AM »

Hmm nope I'm pretty sure that would also be for nothing.  Achievements/Accomplishments are for losers! smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 12:52:59 PM »

Well, I won't harp long on my anti-achievement stance, but this is just such a great example of its problem.  Getting through Ravenholm with the grav gun should be fun because you got through Ravenholm with the grav gun, not because you'll unlock a small icon you'll never look at and get arbitrary points that don't do anything.

You know what, here you go:

Print this out.

And I give you 500 wonderpoints as well.  You can write +500 on a sticky note if you like.

Yay!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 02:17:09 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 21, 2008, 12:52:59 PM

Well, I won't harp long on my anti-achievement stance, but this is just such a great example of its problem.  Getting through Ravenholm with the grav gun should be fun because you got through Ravenholm with the grav gun, not because you'll unlock a small icon you'll never look at and get arbitrary points that don't do anything.

Print this out.

And I give you 500 wonderpoints as well.  You can write +500 on a sticky note if you like.

Yay!

Well it was fun, but I still want my nerd points.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 02:31:15 PM »

I think I'm increasingly getting addicted to achievements because I did a few trade ins last night and almost picked up The Orange Box just so I could rack up the achievements through the whole HL2 series and Portal. In my opinion, they're little bonuses and should be treated as such, unless you're playing a story-intensive game where paying attention to the plot is crucial. If you play something like "Conan" where the plot is "kill everything that's not you" then going for achievements on the first play through doesn't strike me as that bad. I've played through HL2 about a dozen times now and unlocking things would have totally ruined the immersion for me the first time. Now? Bring 'em on.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 02:50:29 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 21, 2008, 02:17:09 PM

Print this out.

Yay!

But it only counts if other people can see your icon and wonderpoints.  Is there a link to WonderLive! where we can check his account?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 21, 2008, 02:50:29 PM

Print this out.

Yay!

But it only counts if other people can see your icon and wonderpoints.  Is there a link to WonderLive! where we can check his account?

I forgot to mention that you're supposed to safety-pin the icon printout and the +500 post-it note to your chest when you're out in public.  Sure, you don't get exposure to as many strangers who don't care about your points as you do on Live, but with my system you're entitled to look down at people with disdain if they have fewer wonderpoints pinned to their chest.

It's kind of like Boy Scout merit badges, but with less accomplishment and more geekiness and spite. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 03:43:05 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 21, 2008, 03:00:56 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on March 21, 2008, 02:50:29 PM

Print this out.

Yay!

I forgot to mention that you're supposed to safety-pin the icon printout and the +500 post-it note to your chest when you're out in public.  Sure, you don't get exposure to as many strangers who don't care about your points as you do on Live, but with my system you're entitled to look down at people with disdain if they have fewer wonderpoints pinned to their chest.

It's kind of like Boy Scout merit badges, but with less accomplishment and more geekiness and spite. 

I love Wonderpoints!  What else can I unlock?

depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 03:45:03 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on March 21, 2008, 05:14:44 AM

that is, until Home comes out and has 'Accomplishments', right?  even though it's the same exact thing as Achievements...

Because he said he's really looking forward to the "Accomplishments" aspect of Home, right?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 03:50:40 PM »

... and get arbitrary points that don't do anything.

I do like that the majority of achievements in Mass Effect actually have an effect on subsequent playthroughs.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 03:56:40 PM »

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 04:11:31 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on March 21, 2008, 03:56:40 PM

You've unlocked Wonderment: JRPG Dots!

+300 wonderpoints!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 04:16:25 PM »

the only thing that will make the PS3 Accomplishments that are displayed in Home worth it is if you can mount the corpses of your defeated enemies on the walls of your 'Home'  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 21, 2008, 04:11:31 PM

+300 wonderpoints!

Damnit!

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 08:30:19 PM »

+300 wonderpoints!

Nice biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 11:35:41 PM »

Quote from: depward on March 21, 2008, 03:45:03 PM

Because he said he's really looking forward to the "Accomplishments" aspect of Home, right?

haha I'm making an assumption of course, but I don't ever want to see you 2 harping the wonders of 'Accomplishments' later!

me?  I'm definitely looking forward to it for the PS3, it's about time... like I said I'm a huge achievement-whore
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 02:33:16 PM »

Who said the two have to be mutually exclusive?

While I didn't get the achievement, I had fun attempting it.  It honestly never occurred to me to try to do the entirety of Ravenholm with only the grav gun before I saw the achievement listed.

The false choice posited by the anti-achievement folks just doesn't hold up.  Videogame structure is almost entirely based on giving the player a little pat on the back every so often in order to get them to continue; achievements are simply another way to do so.  Just because they may require the player to go outside the path of least resistance to finish the game doesn't make that play choice any less valid or fun.  If anything, it's a way to get more bang for your buck.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 02:40:25 PM by Laner » Logged
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 03:35:51 PM »

+300 wonderpoints!

OHHHH! Wonderpoints!!! What about me:

"!"
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 08:42:07 PM »

This was actually one of my favorite experiences playing through Orange Box.  I thought it really heightened the tension, and I probably would never have tried it if it wasn't an achievement.  So add my little checkbox to the pro-achievement camp, as usual.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 10:19:04 PM »

Quote from: Laner on March 22, 2008, 02:33:16 PM

Teggy did, at least for himself, when he said "Well I just did that for nothing."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 10:40:40 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 22, 2008, 10:19:04 PM

Teggy did, at least for himself, when he said "Well I just did that for nothing."

Well, not really, because he didn't actually get the achievement.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 01:12:13 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 22, 2008, 10:40:40 PM

When I made the post Teggy had not yet said he did indeed have fun with the grav gun run itself.  From his two posts prior his experience was "for nothing" and "a complete waste of time except for learning about radiators" since he didn't get the achievement.  In that case, if he had gotten the achievement I don't see how that would magically have made the grav gun run gameplay itself fun for him.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 04:06:14 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 23, 2008, 01:12:13 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 22, 2008, 10:40:40 PM

When I made the post Teggy had not yet said he did indeed have fun with the grav gun run itself.  From his two posts prior his experience was "for nothing" and "a complete waste of time except for learning about radiators" since he didn't get the achievement.  In that case, if he had gotten the achievement I don't see how that would magically have made the grav gun run gameplay itself fun for him.

It's the pat on the back thing that was being discussed earlier.  Old school gaming was all about trying again and again until you beat a level.  That sense of achievement is now acknowledged, Pavlov-style, by a little sound effect and a visual pop-up.  Plus a cool icon.

Triggering reward-center in brain = more fun, magically.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2008, 04:17:41 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 23, 2008, 04:06:14 PM

That sense of achievement is now acknowledged, Pavlov-style, by a little sound effect and a visual pop-up.  Plus a cool icon.

so gamers who love achievements are dogs.  gotcha  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2008, 04:34:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 23, 2008, 04:17:41 PM

That sense of achievement is now acknowledged, Pavlov-style, by a little sound effect and a visual pop-up.  Plus a cool icon.

Sounds about right to me
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2008, 08:12:57 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 23, 2008, 04:34:56 PM

Sounds about right to me

woof.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2008, 08:21:36 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 23, 2008, 08:12:57 PM

Sounds about right to me

woof.

/bark

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2008, 09:32:07 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 23, 2008, 08:21:36 PM

Sounds about right to me

woof.

/bark

oddly enough I've always pictured WBS as a Poodle  icon_twisted

Because I can,
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2008, 02:28:32 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 23, 2008, 09:32:07 PM

Sounds about right to me

woof.

/bark

/Grrrrrr

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2008, 03:31:01 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 24, 2008, 02:28:32 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 23, 2008, 09:32:07 PM

Sounds about right to me

woof.

/bark

/Grrrrrr

no, it's 'Gir':

Because I can,
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2008, 02:03:15 PM »

I ended up getting that achievement, yes it was a pain, but worth it in the end.  I look at achievements like collectibles, so I try to grab as many as I can without taking too much time to do it.  If I miss one, I'm not about to replay the game again just to grab it.  (Unless it's a game I really  love, like Dead Rising...)

glyc

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2008, 03:46:15 PM »

If I can make one more anti-achievement argument before overstaying my welcome in the thread too much...

Quote from: Glycerine on March 25, 2008, 02:03:15 PM

I ended up getting that achievement, yes it was a pain, but worth it in the end.  I look at achievements like collectibles, so I try to grab as many as I can without taking too much time to do it.  If I miss one, I'm not about to replay the game again just to grab it.

So here we have two people, Glycerine and Teggy, who did the grav gun thing on their first run through Ravenholm.  (I'm making an assumption for Glycerine since he said he got the achievement and doesn't replay to get achievements he missed.)

On their first and possibly only run through Ravenholm, both of them didn't once get to blast zombies with a shotgun.  It's a really fun game experience, and neither one of them got to do it.

But besides the fun of the shotgun, there's the developer's intentions for the game.  The designers clearly played up the shotgun vs. zombie fun, not only by making the weapon available for the first time in Ravenholm, but by having it's arrival heralded by Father Gregorio's "Let me get you a more suitable weapon."  Great gaming moment, and yet both Teggy and Glycerine immediately stuffed the more suitable weapon in their pocket because they were playing by the achievement how-to-play checklist.

Yes, the designers also made the level a grav gun playground.  But that should just be an available option of how to approach the level instead of the standard way to run through.  Indeed if you look at Gamefaqs there's a 2005 FAQ on how to play through to the end of the game with just the grav gun, so people have certainly already opted to have fun that way.  The difference is that the 2005 players chose to ignore the shotgun moment out of their own volition, not because they had a checklist on how to play each level 'properly' for the most efficient point collection.

And yes, Glycerine and Teggy weren't forced to play the way they did.  But they were enticed by the achievements as they are designed to entice, and if someone wants achievements it seems quite natural to want to collect as many as you can on your first run through to collect them more efficiently.  Thus, the achievements become the game, or at least the instructions on how to play the game.  You lose both the game creator's vision for a scenario like Ravenholm as well as the freedom to find your own path.
unbreakable
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2008, 04:04:47 PM »

So achievements obstruct self-determination?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: