http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 08:58:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [GCN] Gamecube component video?  (Read 1107 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2005, 10:54:48 PM »

Anyone here own and use the Gamecube component video cables? Does the upgrade to progressive scan really make a difference? I know the cube only does 480p so it isn't true hi def, but was wondering if p-scan alone makes a big difference. (I hope so as I have some on the way! smile )

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 11:03:04 PM »

Yes!!!!!

Huge difference if you are using a decent size HDTV.  I found non-progressive scan games on my TV all but unplayable.  Its really an amazing difference.  

Now if its a smaller set I can't comment.  But on my 55" Mits HDTV the difference was literally night and day.  480i generally gives a much more washed-out, blurry appearance.  

Games like Starfox Adventures and Metroid Prime had absolutely stunning visual quality in progressive scan.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 12:28:23 AM »

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Kevin mentioned, the difference is day and night.  I use a 46" 4:3 HDTV as my primary gaming TV, and compared to 480i most games look stunning.  Rogue Leader, Paper Mario 2, Resident Evil 4, etc. are almost like entirely new games when you compare them to 480i.  If you already have a HDTV then it's a no brainer - go buy a component switchbox (if needed) and component cables ASAP!!

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 12:46:39 AM »

When I got my TV, I hooked the Cube up via s-video like before, and tried out RE4.  It looked okay, and I haven't played the Cube since.  A few weeks ago, I put in Mario Party 6.  Boy howdy, did that sucker look bad.  The bright colors, clean lines, and high contrasts really threw the awful look into perspective.  I ordered a set of component cables that day.  They're backordered until June though, so no Cube for me until then.   :x

I will say, it doesn't look any worse than your average PS2 game running in 480i.  Progressive scan does make a world of difference.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 02:34:48 AM »

Thanks for the info guys! smile

Chaz, I ordered mine from LikSang. I have ordered from them in the past and had no problems. It's $5 more than from Nintendo, but at least I don't have to wait till June.

Link

-John

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 02:05:35 PM »

I had tried to order these from Nintendo once and they cancelled my backorder.  If you have these backordered, keep an eye on your order status.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 05:53:41 PM »

Funny, I can see my order with Nintendo, but they won't let me cancel it.  Looks like I'm going to have to call them to do it.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 10:24:48 PM »

I ordered them from Nintendo when it said they were backorded till this june and I got them in about 4 days... just to let you know that their shipping system isn't the most up to date.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 03:40:40 AM »

Just an FYI for those who may want one of these component video cables and is fed up with waiting for Nintendo. My LikSang order status changed to shipping today, so it would seem they really do have them in stock.

I can't wait to see Metroid Prime and RE4 in progressive scan in a week or two...or four! smile

-John

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 05:29:34 AM »

Since no one else mentioned it, I'll point out that before you order cables, make sure your cube is one of the older ones that has the digital port.  The new cubes don't have it as Nintendo said no one uses it.

I think my cables shipped from Nintendo after about a week.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: