http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 05:23:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [GBA] Summon Night: Swordcraft Story Impressions  (Read 2344 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: July 28, 2006, 08:50:45 PM »

As asked somewhere else, I guess I'll have to post some impressions of this fun little GBA game that came out yesterday/today. biggrin

How best to sum it up in a sentence or two... Howabout this:

Take the combat sequences of any of the Tales series, toss it onto a pure 2D plane, and have only one character to worry about, and you end up with what the core game of SN:SS is.

It's far more than that though. For example, in combat, you can have up to 3 weapons equipped (out of 5 general types), all of varying speeds and attack ranges (the drill and knuckle weapons are point blank, but generally fast, while the axe is slow and powerful), and you have a helper (one of four, which is preselected for you based on questions answered at the start of the game) who can cast spells and use items on you, and you can face up to 4 targets at once.

The whole reason you fight is to collect/find items to make bigger and more powerful weapons out of. As stated above, you have 5 weapons (sword, spear, axe, knuckle, and drill), and some weapons are better against certain opponents than others (the spear has long range, the axe/drill will destroy opponent's weapons if they block, the sword is average in speed/attack range, etc), so you have a reason to keep a full set of items on you.

There's a storyline (which is generally light hearted, with bits of humor here and there) that involves you competing for who's gonna be the next craftsmaster of your home town. Your father was one, he vanished one night, you're gonna be like him, yadda yadda. Generic plot number 7, I think, but it's a fun, enjoyable generic plot.

The game as a whole is fast (combat especially so), and is a lot of fun to play. Good music and sound effects (love the combat music). It's apparently spawned a series over in Japan (two GBA games and I think a PS2 title is under development) as well.

Well worth the purchase and the time played so far, IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 09:49:36 PM »

Picking up my copy today.  I don't like how I'm hearing that you can beat it in ~7 hours, but hey, if it's fun I don't have that much of a problem with that.

Good stuff Destructor!  I shall be playing it today and I hope I share your enthusiasm!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 11:03:00 PM »

I've heard the average time is more like 20 hours.  Since there are a ton of weapons to forge, I'm guessing playtime will depend largely on how many of them you create.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 07:18:55 AM »

Played about an hour of it so far:

Pretty 'meh.'  The lesbian undertones going on with my main character (Pratty) and my guardian is pretty entertaining.  I suppose.  Yeah sure, I'm your 'fiancee' . . . weirdo.

Character portraits are nice looking.

The music, so far, is pretty atrocious.  It reminds me very much of the music from Final Fantasy Legend II for the original GBA - and that's not a good thing.  Come on - FFIV Advance + Riviera have decent music, why does Summon Night's sound so bad?!

Fighting is fine, though I haven't done a whole ton of it yet.  I guess I like how it's so simplistic.  Dash in, swing, dash out - dash in, swing, dash out - and so on.

So yeah, pretty 'meh' on it now but we'll see as I continue to put more time into it.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 08:31:39 AM »

I'm really enjoying it.  The writing is sharp, the character interaction is well-done, and with a seemingly small cast, it looks like there will be a lot of development.  The graphics are nice and personally, I enjoy the music.  I guess it is kind of cheesy, but I think it adds to the SNES-era feel to the game.  The fighting is simplistic so far, but I can see it becoming very addictive.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 09:06:26 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Pretty 'meh.'  The lesbian undertones going on with my main character (Pratty) and my guardian is pretty entertaining.  I suppose.  Yeah sure, I'm your 'fiancee' . . . weirdo.

That bit is a bit strange (especially if you choose the female lead and get the female guardian - which the game shouldn't allow, IMHO (or maybe have a male guardian in that case)), and there's somebody who loves his (I think it's a him) curry a bit too much, but beyond that I haven't seen any issues there.

I'm about 4 hours in and I'm having a blast. Lots of action with an entertaining storyline.

One thing to keep in mind - your guardian has the ability to enhance some of the weapon types (depends on the guardian). Once you've gotten lots (usually in the 80-100 range) of Technique, try to craft the weapon again. If the game asks you if you want to use your Mystic Ore (available from the weapon mobs you encounter every so often), do so. You'll remake the weapon, but it'll be elemental enchanted, thus making a much stronger weapon.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 04:26:38 PM »

I'm now about 8 hours in -

I'm quite surprised by Summon Nights and enjoying it more than when I first began playing it.  In the beginning when I was playing it my thoughts were:

a) dungeon crawler
b) bland 'story'
c) crazy lesbian undertones which was making me 'hot-n-bothered'

But now, after having played for around eight hours or so, my thoughts back then seem ludicrious.  Sure the game centers around the combat (which I find both simplistic and easy yet fun) but there's also, surprisingly, a really good story that drives the gameplay.  I wasn't thinking there was going to be!  I was thinking that all I was going to do was go through that labryinth... and that's it.  But that's not the case!

The writing is great, thanks for Atlus' localization team.  It has quite a bit of humor.

The lesbian undertones going on with Pratty and her Guardian Beast Sugar are still there!!  Funny stuff if not a bit awkward.

Multiple endings should make the game have some sort of replayability.  The thing is - I'm PRETTY SURE how I can influence how to get each ending.  It's pretty easy to figure out.  But that's cool.

Anyway, I'm finding Summon Nights to be a really, really good GBA RPG.  It's bright, colorful, well-written and just fun.  What do you all think who have played the game?  Destructor?  Eddie?  Others?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 05:19:06 PM »

Just picked this up at lunch, impressions may take 6-8 subway rides for delivery.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 05:23:59 PM »

I'm still enjoying the heck out of the game. I'm finding limited time to actually play it (my last major plot point was about finding somebody washed up on shore), but it was a ton of fun. Love the simplistic (yet entertaining) combat system, and the humor is very well written. Excellent job to Atlus' translation team.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 06:35:42 PM »

Just finished this puppy up.  Without going into any detail at all, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Probably the best RPG I played for the GBA (yes, even beating out the shoddily put together port of FFIV).  And I'm anxiously looking forward to picking up the second Summon Night game the day it comes out!

Very much recommended!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 06:40:51 PM »

How long did it take you to finish?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 06:47:23 PM »

13.5 hours good sir!  Ended up being level 49 at the end.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 07:36:28 PM »

Well, crap.  I can't find this damn game anywhere.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 08:08:19 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
Well, crap.  I can't find this damn game anywhere.

Gamestop still has it in stock online if you're willing to wait a few days for it to arrive.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 09:21:39 PM »

Just found a copy at GameCrazy.  I hate that store, but I'll have to brave it to pick this up.  smile

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006, 11:33:18 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Probably the best RPG I played for the GBA (yes, even beating out the shoddily put together port of FFIV).

yikes! - better than the golden suns? riviera? superstar saga? consider me boggled :shock: ...

just got mine via ups from gamestop, &, tho the music's a kinda grating (spoiled by the ds, maybe?), i'm already seeing a pretty neat little game here (very nice graphics, btw). but, with eternia to finish, & dirge of cerberus around the corner, gonna have to put it on hold for a bit...

thanks again to everyone for getting me to check it out...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2006, 11:42:29 PM »

Yeah, I caved today too and picked it up.  Probably won't get to it for al little while but don't want to jump through hoops to find it later.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 07:58:42 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on August 11, 2006, 11:33:18 PM

Quote from: depward
Probably the best RPG I played for the GBA (yes, even beating out the shoddily put together port of FFIV).

yikes! - better than the golden suns? riviera? superstar saga? consider me boggled :shock: ...

just got mine via ups from gamestop, &, tho the music's a kinda grating (spoiled by the ds, maybe?), i'm already seeing a pretty neat little game here (very nice graphics, btw). but, with eternia to finish, & dirge of cerberus around the corner, gonna have to put it on hold for a bit...

thanks again to everyone for getting me to check it out...
You know what?  Yeah, I believe so.  I'm not a fan of Golden Sun at all, so that's easy to pick SN over that.  Riviera I enjoyed a LOT but it's a different sort of game.  SS I never played!

So see?  Not much competition I suppose   nod tear

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 01:07:29 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 11, 2006, 11:42:29 PM

Yeah, I caved today too and picked it up.  Probably won't get to it for al little while but don't want to jump through hoops to find it later.

Ditto.  Get it while the getting's good I always say.
Got that new robot game from Atlas as well.

Personally I'm still stunned my local EB had either of them.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 10:53:55 PM »

I probably just need to RTFM, but I thought I'd throw a couple questions out there:

1.  Is the number of times your Guardian-thing can cast a spell determined by it's level?  Right now, it can only cast it's healing spell once before I have to find a restore point (I'm at 11, he's at 10), and I'm wondering if that will increase as we go.  Maybe it's determined by which slot it's equipped in?

2.  I bought an amulet at the store that is supposed to reduce enemy encounters, but it won't let me equip it (doesn't come up as an option in the equipment slot).  Am I missing something?

Put in a couple hours today, and it's a fun little game.  I'm enjoying the battle system much more that I thought I would, since 'real-time battles' usually has me running for the hills.  The fact that it can be beaten in under 20 hours is also a big plus for me.  Anything over that, and I usually start to lose interest.  The one problem I can already see is the insane encounter rate.  Fighting a battle every 2 steps might get grating after a while.   Hence, the question about the amulet.  smile

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 12:09:25 AM »

1) Yes - the amount of times you can cast a certain spell will increase based on level. Keep in mind though - you can only cast a maximum of 5 spells total PER battle (the little stars on the lower right). But some spells (like healing) can be cast outside of battle, too.

2) While I've never tried it out (as killing guys for experience is fun and worthwhile, IMHO), I believe the items to decrease (and increase) the spawn rate are single use items, not equipable ones. Check your item menu.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 04:57:15 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 14, 2006, 12:09:25 AM

2) While I've never tried it out (as killing guys for experience is fun and worthwhile, IMHO), I believe the items to decrease (and increase) the spawn rate are single use items, not equipable ones. Check your item menu.

Yep, that's it.  Thanks.

One other question.  How did you guys allocate your stats?  I'm at level 14, and have been going in a pattern of 2 defense, 2 attack, and 1 agility.  I haven't really run into any problems yet, but I figured I'd better check before getting too much further along.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 03:10:02 PM »

I've been putting it entirely in Attack every level (with a few ones early on in Agility to get it above zero when using Axe weapons). Haven't had any issues, nor do I think I really do much more damage as I would spreading them out otherwise.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 03:25:05 PM »

pretty much had to force myself to put this down & finish eternia - very good (& addictive) little game...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 07:06:01 PM »

I plugged every single stat point into attack and had no problems.

Brinstil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 07:25:09 PM »

I just downloaded some gameplay videos of this off ign. I think the music in this game would drive me to homicide.  mad

“The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike. Everyone will know discipline.”
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 11:43:44 PM »

The music is actually rather catchy, and very reminiscent of the SNES era.

Brinstil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 12:12:55 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 14, 2006, 11:43:44 PM

The music is actually rather catchy, and very reminiscent of the SNES era.
Hmm, maybe the videos on ign were bad choices. But the music they had on there made me want to stick a screwdriver into my ear.

“The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike. Everyone will know discipline.”
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2006, 02:06:47 AM »

The music in the IGN videos is pretty representative of the game's music.  I like it, though slywink

Brinstil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2006, 02:56:54 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 15, 2006, 02:06:47 AM

The music in the IGN videos is pretty representative of the game's music.  I like it, though slywink
Maybe you're a robot...  :icon_eek:

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2006, 12:18:38 AM »

well, i still kinda preferred riviera, but, damn, summon night is a great game! (not a whole lotta games get me diving right into the post-finale bonus areas, but this one did). just pre-ordered the sequel , due early october?!...

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2006, 02:31:08 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 04, 2006, 12:18:38 AM

well, i still kinda preferred riviera, but, damn, summon night is a great game! (not a whole lotta games get me diving right into the post-finale bonus areas, but this one did). just pre-ordered the sequel , due early october?!...

The sequel is due out next month? !@#$!$

Well...at least it'll give me another game to play in short bursts at work. biggrin

depward

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2006, 06:25:28 PM »

And I'll have to pick it up, GAH, too many games coming out!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: