http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 07:14:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (GBA) Final Fantasy VI impressions  (Read 4315 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2007, 06:46:39 PM »

Picked it up today at lunch (Best Buy). Opened the box, looked at the cart and the manual. The manual is the typical size for an RPG on the GBA - a bit larger than normal. That's all I got now. Will probably play some later in the afternoon.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 08:20:25 PM »

Picked it up at lunch myself along with Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. Plan to dig into both of these later.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 08:41:04 PM »

Will be picking it up as well as soon as I get off of work. No idea when I'll actually play it though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 09:08:26 PM »

Of course, I show up to Gamestop and I was told they only had copies for those who reserved the game.

"Dude, this is why you reserve games with us!"

Um, yeah.  I'll go to BB tonight and pick it up $5 cheaper I suppose.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 09:24:09 PM »

I just really hope they did a great job on this one, as opposed to the inefficient port to the PS1 for FF6. Please please please! And let the music directly translate, not the tinny quality and poor midi emulation on the PS1 port! (not a slam on the PS1, just a slam on the anthology port)

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 09:49:59 PM »

I will have to purchase this today now...I have been waiting on this for a while.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 12:16:08 AM »

Graphics: Looks exactly like the SNES version. The 'swirl into battle' effect seems a bit fast though, if you want to get picky.

Sound: Sounds like the SNES version. It might not be exact though due to limitations on the GBA's hardware, but it's damn close to my non-headphone ears.

Gameplay: Yup - it's the same core game there. Translation seems to be unchanged compared to the SNES version.

Loading time: What loading time? You drop in and out of battles instantly, save instantly, pull up the menu instantly, and you're not forced to watch an extremely slow pan to your characters while you hear the winning music theme just because Squarenix wanted you to hear it fully each and every single time it happens or some other insane reason (yes, I'm looking at you, FF3 on the DS).

Now to find more time to play it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 01:35:09 AM »

Will there be any easter eggs in this one that aren't in the SNES or Anthologies version?

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 01:45:57 AM »

I made it to Figaro. I played through the whole game back in the day on the SNES, but I remember next to nothing about it now. My only real memory was that the music was awesome (particularly in the final boss fight). Well, the music is definitely great. Definitely enoying it so far, but it's not really triggering any memories, so I just can't compare it to the original. Definitely graphically reminiscent of the SNES. Thumbs up so far.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 07:02:55 AM »

if the game looks like the snes version...did the ps1 look like the snes version?,,as the ps1 version is the only version i have played

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 09:57:44 AM »

Ah, I guess there is an extra dragon cave that is available biggrin

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 02:46:28 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan
if the game looks like the snes version...did the ps1 look like the snes version?,,as the ps1 version is the only version i have played

Yup, the PS1 was a straight graphical port. That was one of the things they nailed on the PS1 port. icon_smile

Very glad to hear that performance is just right, as is the sound.

Quote from: Destructor
you're not forced to watch an extremely slow pan to your characters while you hear the winning music theme just because Squarenix wanted you to hear it fully each and every single time it happens or some other insane reason (yes, I'm looking at you, FF3 on the DS).

I love FF3 on the DS, but that particular aspect of the game drives me bonkers.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 02:51:01 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 07, 2007, 12:16:08 AM

Translation seems to be unchanged compared to the SNES version.

I know there are a few small differences (for example they didn't want to use the word Death or anything in the SNES version so it was changed to Doom and the like for the names of some enemies).  That has been corrected. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 03:15:07 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 07, 2007, 02:51:01 PM

Quote from: Destructor on February 07, 2007, 12:16:08 AM

Translation seems to be unchanged compared to the SNES version.
I know there are a few small differences (for example they didn't want to use the word Death or anything in the SNES version so it was changed to Doom and the like for the names of some enemies).  That has been corrected. 

Also I believe (although I'd have to fire up my SNES copy to check) that some spells have become 'standardized' (what the latter games have been using). Fire, Blizzard, and Lightning, instead of spells like Fira, Firaga, etc. Same with some of the summons.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 04:16:09 PM »

From a Penny Arcade post from a Japanese website from a NeoGAF post...

Here's what's new:
- New Espers
- New 3 party dungeon
- Monster survival floor
- Windows and Menus based on FF4 Advance standard
- BGM arranged for 8 sound channel music
- Portrait graphics and battle backgrounds enhanced
- Monster dictionary and music player
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 09:06:47 PM »

According to the review in Nintendo Power, if your party is wiped out, you get to restart with your experience in tact, as in Dragon Quest.  Does anyone know if this is true?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 09:09:59 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 09:12:42 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 07, 2007, 09:06:47 PM

According to the review in Nintendo Power, if your party is wiped out, you get to restart with your experience in tact, as in Dragon Quest.  Does anyone know if this is true?

According to the blurb that pops up at the first save point, oddly enough, yes. You'll lose any gold and items you've gained since you last saved, but experience gained is kept.

But IMHO, the game was easy enough back in the SNES era that dying is the least of your worries.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 09:54:45 PM »

I also had to laugh when I had Terra, Wedge and Biggs beating a path through Narshe at the beginning. Not only do Biggs and Wedge gain levels quickly, but you pick up quite a lot of gil from each fight. A stark comparison to FFXII, not to mention it's funny seeing canon fodder level up right from the start. icon_lol

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 11:56:22 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 07, 2007, 09:06:47 PM

This is definitely how it works, and this was true in the original FFIII release on the SNES as well.

The music is significantly lower quality than the SNES version.  A lot of the percussion just isn't right.  Same deal with some of the sound effects.  It's not bad, mind you, just not as good as the original.  Also, there does appear to be some slowdown in battle during some spell animations.  The translation is slightly different.  For instance Cyan's ability SwordTech is now Bushido.  And the characters have their classes listed on the status screen (why is Locke and "Adventurer?  would have been much better to call him a "treasure hunter"...).   Really I'm just nitpicking here.  For a GBA game, it's a great port.  I played this one to death back on the SNES so the differences really stick out to me.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 12:07:40 AM »

Damn, this game is hard to find.  Every Gamestop/EB in town is sold out, as is the Best Buy, Circuit City, and Target I stopped by on the way home.   eek

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
depward

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 01:09:50 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 10, 2007, 12:07:40 AM

Damn, this game is hard to find.  Every Gamestop/EB in town is sold out, as is the Best Buy, Circuit City, and Target I stopped by on the way home.   eek
Oh snap!  I found mine at a Fred Meyer... might want to look there (if you live near one).

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 06:20:51 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on February 07, 2007, 09:54:45 PM

I also had to laugh when I had Terra, Wedge and Biggs beating a path through Narshe at the beginning. Not only do Biggs and Wedge gain levels quickly, but you pick up quite a lot of gil from each fight. A stark comparison to FFXII, not to mention it's funny seeing canon fodder level up right from the start. icon_lol

oh,is this the first game that features wedge and biggs?....they were at top of the communications tower in final fantasy 8..i am guessing it is some homage to star wars..are the names in any other FF game,like cid or chocobos?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2007, 06:26:09 AM »

Tempted to pick up another GBA for this game... alternatively I could borrow a friend's....

Pikachu, I Blame you!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2007, 12:45:08 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 10, 2007, 06:26:09 AM

Tempted to pick up another GBA for this game... alternatively I could borrow a friend's....

Why wouldn't you get a DS Lite instead?
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2007, 01:17:32 PM »

35-40 bucks vs. 150.  Also I haven't seen much that really interests me on the DS.  <shrug> I also haven't looked that hard, way too many games for what I have now.

Which is why I would more likely just borrow a friend's GBAsp.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2007, 07:44:29 PM »

Found a copy, finally.  Every Best Buy, Gamestop, EB, and Circuit City in Salt Lake is sold out until next week.  I managed to track down the last copy at Gamecrazy, which is also the last one at any of their stores.  Madness...

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 03:37:33 AM »

A couple details.  My first real RPG was FFVII.  I never had a SNES, so I don't have any "nostalgic" memories of FF VI (i.e. omg, best RPG EVAR!) like most people do.  I tried it once on the PS1 FF Anthology, but only got about an hour into it.   I've always been very skeptical about it, mainly due to the seemingly fanatical following it has.  I'm also not usually big on old-school RPG's, mainly because they feel very dated.  I've tried all the previous Final Fantasy games on either PS1 or GBA, and have never gotten more than a couple hours in before getting bored and/or frustrated.

That being said, I spent about 6 hours with FFVI today, and so far, it is a truly brilliant game and is certainly worth the heaps of praise it receives.   The core gameplay is fun, but the story and characters are simply incredible.  Not sure why this one grabbed me when other old-school games didn't, but I am having an absolute blast with it so far. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 03:48:34 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 12, 2007, 03:37:33 AM

Not sure why this one grabbed me when other old-school games didn't, but I am having an absolute blast with it so far. 

The FF6 Rules!/FF7 Sucks! crowd notwithstanding, I think FF6 and FF7 are far closer in tone, story, and gameplay than most will admit, with the chief differences being one of hardware and character focus (FF6 is more of an ensemble).  FF4 paved the way, but I think FF6 is a big leap over old-school RPGs of the time and instead is basically the precursor to the style of Console RPG that would become predominant in the PS1 generation. 

It's always amazed me that so many people want to place FF6 on a pedestal and complain about what Console RPGs would become in the wake of FF7 when I really don't see much of a difference.  I think they are both exceptiona RPGs that have stood the test of time. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 03:59:16 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 12, 2007, 03:48:34 AM

Quote from: Gratch on February 12, 2007, 03:37:33 AM

Not sure why this one grabbed me when other old-school games didn't, but I am having an absolute blast with it so far. 

The FF6 Rules!/FF7 Sucks! crowd notwithstanding, I think FF6 and FF7 are far closer in tone, story, and gameplay than most will admit, with the chief differences being one of hardware and character focus (FF6 is more of an ensemble).  FF4 paved the way, but I think FF6 is a big leap over old-school RPGs of the time and instead is basically the precursor to the style of Console RPG that would become predominant in the PS1 generation. 

It's always amazed me that so many people want to place FF6 on a pedestal and complain about what Console RPGs would become in the wake of FF7 when I really don't see much of a difference.  I think they are both exceptiona RPGs that have stood the test of time. 

The similarities have surprised me as well, and all in a good way.  To this day, FF VII is my favorite game of all time, and FF VI just has that same "feel" to it.  Maybe it's because of the identical battle mechanics, the extremely similar music (there's a few tracks that if I heard them outside the game, I'd be hard pressed to say whether they were from VI or VII.  And I'm a huge VG music junkie!), or the strong characters, but FF VI simply captures that same magic that FF VII had.  I'm very glad a gave it another shot!

My only concern so far is there have already been 3-4 times where I had no earthly idea where I was supposed to go or do next, and have had some trouble finding certain caves, forests, etc. even with the help of a walkthrough. 

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 04:12:58 AM »

I know of a store in this area that has a few copies of FF6 Advance.  If someone wants one and wants to pay tax+shipping for it, I'd be happy to try to get a couple.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2007, 05:14:31 AM »

FF6 holds up well because it was much, much better than most of its contemporaries.  It was light-years beyond most games of the time in terms of story and characterization.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2007, 07:12:48 AM »

I am sure this is a silly question-but if you don't have a handheld is this game worth playing on one of those anthologies cds for PS1?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 01:37:58 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 12, 2007, 07:12:48 AM

I am sure this is a silly question-but if you don't have a handheld is this game worth playing on one of those anthologies cds for PS1?

Play it on an emulator instead.  The PS1 port sucks because of insane loading times just to go in and out of the menus. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2007, 01:53:51 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 12, 2007, 01:37:58 PM

Play it on an emulator instead.  The PS1 port sucks because of insane loading times just to go in and out of the menus. 

+1.  One of the main reasons I quit playing the PS1 versions was because of the ridiculous load times.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2007, 04:57:41 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 12, 2007, 01:53:51 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 12, 2007, 01:37:58 PM

+1.  One of the main reasons I quit playing the PS1 versions was because of the ridiculous load times.

Agreed; even the battle code was inefficient and had a lot of animation delays on the menus in particular. The PS1 port, in short, completely blew chunks. However, that anthology was worthwhile if only for the FFV port on it (which I found very playable.

I'll grab FFVI on the GBA since it sounds like aside from the sound downgrade, it's a great port overall.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2007, 07:48:47 PM »

Dumb question.  It seems like the characters get additional spells when they hit certain levels.  Is there any other way to gain spells or abilities (i.e. equipping certain items, etc.)?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2007, 08:00:49 PM »

This week's Player One Podcast has an interview with Ted Woolsey who did the original translation of FF6 for the SNES (he also worked on Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and Super Mario RPG).

Good interview and some of the more interesting tidbits to me:

- Discussion over Nintendo of America standards and practices on what types of material needed to be changed to be acceptable for American audiences

- He only had 30 days to do the FF6 translation

- Discussion of the difficulties in having  to convey the same information/dialog using much fewer words than the Japanese edition

- He had Final Fantasy V almost fully translated when the decision was made not to release it and instead to create Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

- Ted had a role in creating story/dialog for Mystic Quest but was very limited thanks to an excessively small ROM size

- Even then Square had lofty sales ambitions.  They were continuously frustrated that none of their output could hit close a million in sales in the US in the 16 bit generation. 

- Ted was scheduled to do the Final Fantasy 7 translation but when Square's American branch relocated to LA from Redmond he decided he didn't want to move his family and quit the company.  Which is too damn bad considering how poor FF7's translation ended up being. 

- Relatively famous composer Jeremy Soule (Total Annihilation, Morrowind, Oblivion, KOTOR, NWN, etc) did the music for Secret of Evermore.   

depward

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2007, 08:04:05 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 13, 2007, 07:48:47 PM

Dumb question.  It seems like the characters get additional spells when they hit certain levels.  Is there any other way to gain spells or abilities (i.e. equipping certain items, etc.)?
Your characters learn new spells by equipping Espers or certain weapons & armor.  Each spell has a rate of how fast they learn it.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2007, 09:09:05 PM »

Quote from: depward on February 13, 2007, 08:04:05 PM

Quote from: Gratch on February 13, 2007, 07:48:47 PM

Your characters learn new spells by equipping Espers or certain weapons & armor.  Each spell has a rate of how fast they learn it.

I'm about 6 1/2 hours in and haven't come across any Espers (other than the one Terra encounters).  Is that normal, or am I just missing something?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2007, 11:55:20 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 13, 2007, 08:00:49 PM

- Relatively famous composer Jeremy Soule (Total Annihilation, Morrowind, Oblivion, KOTOR, NWN, etc) did the music for Secret of Evermore.   

He did? Wow.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: