http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 09:50:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [GBA] Final Fantasy 1 & 2: Dawn of Souls  (Read 1771 times)
Kagath
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2004, 10:17:20 PM »

Anyone get this yet? I'm interested, but I don't have the case at the moment to pick it up.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 10:32:26 PM »

I've read some good reviews on it but am holding off since I have the PS1 version.  I cracked it open yesterday and it's pretty fun so far, though I've been doing a lot of generic leveling up.  Don't know whether that's really required or not.

If I didn't have the PS1 games, I'd probably get this one and probably wouldn't regret it.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 10:36:35 PM »

I haven't gotten it yet but it is in the Target ad this week for $24.88
Which is a great price for a new GBA game.

They won't have it until Wednesday but it is worth waiting I think.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 10:38:22 PM »

Can you pricematch that to like Best Buy and then use one of thier Gamer's cards for the 19.99 and above games also?

depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 12:29:48 AM »

Would also like to hear some impressions.  I have the ps1 Origins but I would like the GBA cart so I can plug in and play whilst doing my business on the pot   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 01:12:44 AM »

On my Christmas list....
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 01:15:41 AM »

I have FF: Origins for PS1. It's fun classic gaming. Although do beware of the strange levelling system in FF 2. It's a good game, but not my favorite FF.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 02:24:11 AM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"
I have FF: Origins for PS1. It's fun classic gaming. Although do beware of the strange levelling system in FF 2. It's a good game, but not my favorite FF.

The preview of this I read in GMR said that Square "fixed" the problems with FF2.

Look, I even found a link!  Memory, you've really outdone yourself today. biggrin

Quote from GMR
Final Fantasy II, though, has been rebuilt from scratch—and the results are fantastic. The second Final Fantasy uses a "no experience" system in which party members improve through in-battle actions: Attacking with heavy weapons builds strength, casting spells improves magic power, and so on. Unfortunately, every previous version has been insanely unbalanced against the player, requiring hundreds of extra random battles just to survive. Though the "no experience" system is intact, the nuts-and-bolts implementation is completely different. This version of Final Fantasy II is the first one to be actually playable, and that's reason enough to celebrate.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 02:28:13 AM »

"I've been doing a lot of generic leveling up. Don't know whether that's really required or not."
Presuming they didn't make the game easier for the GBA, then for FF1 at least, it's very much required.  I have yet to make it out of a dungeon without being almost dead, and that's after several level-up/scouting trips into the dungeon.  The game is very hard, at least on the "Hard" difficulty setting.

Also, assuming they kept the option from the Origins games, I'd suggest that anyone playing change the setting that automatically switches targets if an enemy dies to "off".  Combat is very boring if you use the auto-switch.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 02:50:21 AM »

I have the ps1 Origins version also along with the guide for it. How different is the new GBA one from that one? I haven't had a chance to start Origins yet unfortunately though.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 03:15:35 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "Raven VII"

The preview of this I read in GMR said that Square "fixed" the problems with FF2.

Look, I even found a link!  Memory, you've really outdone yourself today. biggrin

Quote from GMR
Final Fantasy II, though, has been rebuilt from scratch—and the results are fantastic. The second Final Fantasy uses a "no experience" system in which party members improve through in-battle actions: Attacking with heavy weapons builds strength, casting spells improves magic power, and so on. Unfortunately, every previous version has been insanely unbalanced against the player, requiring hundreds of extra random battles just to survive. Though the "no experience" system is intact, the nuts-and-bolts implementation is completely different. This version of Final Fantasy II is the first one to be actually playable, and that's reason enough to celebrate.

Yeah the levelling system is out of whack. But I didn't fight hundreds of battles; I used the select, un-select, select, repeat to level all my weapons up. One whole level per battle. I was insanely overpowered when I entered the first dungeon.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 06:31:58 AM »

IGN posted a review if you haven't looked:

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/569/569570p1.html

8.5 ain't too shabby

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 04:16:55 PM »

Thanks, I must've missed that one. Some good info in there. I guess that I will have to pick it up for my commuting.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 04:38:25 PM »

I have played about 45 minutes so my impressions are not real deep.

However so far it is wonderful!  I am loving the retro feel but with all the modern touches.  Things like save anywhere and auto equip the best equipment really improve the game play and make the game enjoyable.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 07:12:27 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
I have played about 45 minutes so my impressions are not real deep.

However so far it is wonderful!  I am loving the retro feel but with all the modern touches.  Things like save anywhere and auto equip the best equipment really improve the game play and make the game enjoyable.

Great.  I need this NOW!  Too bad the "local" target is about 1 and a half hours away.  Maybe I'll just settle for full price then . . .

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 07:59:03 PM »

Circuit City also has it for $25 this week.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
depward

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 08:18:35 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Circuit City also has it for $25 this week.

And that is an hour and a half away as well.  It stinks to live out in the boonies sometimes   frown

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 08:32:13 PM »

Just to reiterate a question from above:

Can you pricematch the sale prices to like Best Buy and then use one of thier Gamer's cards for the 19.99 and above games also?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: