http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 11:36:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Gamecube] Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow Review Discussion  (Read 1801 times)
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2004, 07:43:21 PM »

Splinter Cell review is up.  Ask away here if you have any questions.  Here is the link: http://www.consolegold.com/Reviews/review/242.html

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 10:14:02 PM »

"Splinter Cell ultimately is more like playing a game of 20 questions against an Ubisoft level designer than playing a videogame."

That's a pretty nice comparison. Your review is quite harsh, but I welcome it. All other reviews were raving about this game, and even though I loved the first one, Pandora Tomorrow just isn't as good.

It's far more linear, has lousy missions, a bad story, fewer action scenes etc... (small spoiler about mission 3 now:)
Take the train mission. Every critic and his grandmother loved that one, but it's as linear as Dragon's Lair for crying out loud!

Oh well, it's not a terrible game either smile But it's nowhere as good as the original...

EDIT: Which, admittedly, was linear as well, but at least it was novel biggrin
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 02:40:31 AM »

Quote from: "The Rocketman"
Your review is quite harsh, but I welcome it. All other reviews were raving about this game, and even though I loved the first one, Pandora Tomorrow just isn't as good.

I bought #2, played multiplayer for a while, couldn't dedicate time to it, and then played the single player missions. I got 4 or 5 missions in, and said "meh" and it's been traded in for something else (I think that and 5 bux got me black arrow).

Another sub-par Tom Clancy game. Christ, and now a 3rd person Ghost Recon 2. WTF are they doing there? They should check the bowl before they flush to be reminded that their shit DOES in fact STINK just like the rest of us.

Oh, and SC:PT had horrible script problems. You could tell the person writing the text for the game was fluent in engrish.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 03:17:09 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Oh, and SC:PT had horrible script problems. You could tell the person writing the text for the game was fluent in engrish.

The game was made by UbiSoft Shanghai and they obviously didn't do any localization or grammer checking.  I'm hopeful that the UbiSoft Montreal-backed Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory will be better in that regard, much like the first game.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 07:33:45 AM »

"Not surprisingly, the game itself is very dark.  Surprisingly, many of the levels are so dark that they border on on unplayable.  I had to adjust the brightness on my television in order to play, and even then was forced to use the night vision goggles in situations that realistically shouldn't have required them."

Also very true! Like the jungle missions. They take place around sunset, with a nice red skyline, yet you can't see a damn thing! Nice to see someone else noticed this too.

I guess it's my biggest disappointment of the year (although Full Spectrum Warrior didn't live up to expectations either). Either way, I haven't tried multiplayer yet, because I don't have a headset, and people won't play with me then. I hope it's as good as they say...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 07:52:11 AM »

Quote from: "The Rocketman"
Either way, I haven't tried multiplayer yet, because I don't have a headset, and people won't play with me then. I hope it's as good as they say...

From what I hear, multiplayer is the reason to own the game.  Otherwise you just paid $50 for an expansion pack, and not a particularly good one at that.  With a good group of people (like us!) it is supposed to be a fantastic and fun experience.

SC: Chaos Theory looks like it will be amazing.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 05:29:45 PM »

I'm nervous about them getting another sequel out in under a year when the one they had more than a year to create was so lackluster.  We'll see.  I don't want to hate this franchise, but they don't make it easy to love.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 05:30:57 AM »

Quote from: "aledromo"
I'm nervous about them getting another sequel out in under a year when the one they had more than a year to create was so lackluster.  We'll see.  I don't want to hate this franchise, but they don't make it easy to love.

Well, you can argue Splinter Cell 3 has been in the works for 2 years.  You see, Pandora Tomorrow went to UbiSoft Shanghai...UbiSoft Montreal (creators of the original, Rainbow Six 3, Prince of Persia, etc.) has probably been working on SC3 at least since the original came out.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 01:24:22 PM »

Quote from: "aledromo"
Splinter Cell review is up.  Ask away here if you have any questions.  Here is the link: http://www.consolegold.com/Reviews/review/242.html

I thought the review was dead on!  Every word was also true of the Xbox version.  Did the Xbox version have multiplayer?  Yep.  I don't hop online though, so I was only in it for the singleplayer experience.

I particularly liked the "...player versus the game designers" (paraphrased) sentence. LOL!  How true!  How true!  That was particularly insightful.

I had a TON of fun with the first game and quit playing PT into the first mission.  Talk about *L*I*N*E*A*R.  One monster frustrating time.

PT really did sux major.  I doubt I'm going to be picking up future games in the serious.  It soured me that bad.
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 03:16:09 PM »

Diamond, if I have reinforced one person's path away from Splinter Cell, my work here is a success.  Again, the Multiplayer might be great, but if that's all you're selling, don't bother with the rest.  And if that's all you have, don't release one without it!  Good to hear that the original team has been spending time on the new one, if only for the sake of the fans.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: