http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 11:10:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [E3 2012] Watch Dogs  (Read 14886 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: May 29, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »

I just saw my first successful hack, and it was performed by yours truly. The trick of hiding inside a car will only work against the weakest of opponents, and I haven't encountered those yet. Instead, I tried to do something unexpected. I parked my car, then took cover behind it before starting the hack. Predictably, the enemy hacker came running almost straight for the car and looked inside, but he couldn't see anything since I was covering on the other side of it. When he kept searching nearby, I crept from side to side, always keeping the car between me and him, and always staying in cover. He never figured it out, despite being less than 2 meters away from me several times. He even got so desperate after a while that he started unloading his gun towards the various cars parked within the area, but since I was standing outside mine, it obviously didn't do anything. Had he tried to blow it up, things would have been different. By the time the hack finished, the opponent seemed no less confused than he was to begin with. smile
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 29, 2014, 05:40:47 PM »

You all should keep these detailed impressions coming, they are doing more to sway me than the reviews I've read.

I loved Infamous and don't want to feel let down if I go this route next.  Sounds fun. 

Question, is their a lot if explicit language or sex?  From what I've read it doesn't seem to have any of this, but want to make sure.

Wake up.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 29, 2014, 05:48:40 PM »

There's some cussing, but nowhere near as bad and often as the GTA series.  I haven't seen anything regarding sex, other than some descriptions when you profile someone.  I heard you can spy on someone having sex but don't see anything. 

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 29, 2014, 05:50:18 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on May 29, 2014, 05:40:47 PM

You all should keep these detailed impressions coming, they are doing more to sway me than the reviews I've read.

I loved Infamous and don't want to feel let down if I go this route next.  Sounds fun. 

Question, is their a lot if explicit language or sex?  From what I've read it doesn't seem to have any of this, but want to make sure.

In my limited playing I have noticed any, but I did see a video review where a profiling showed some sex... (wire figures of a girl and guy getting it on in a office.  no nudity, but you knew what was going on)

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 29, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »

Quote from: naednek
At some point during the last year, Watch Dogs was a must have for almost everyone, and somehow the perception changed, and what I hear people complain about makes no sense.  It's like they are trying to find something not to like just to not like it.  But the things they list doesn't match up.  Granted, it's all opinion, but their wrong opinions

It's not like the game is getting trashed. A metacritic score in the low 80s isn't exactly clearance-bin material.  icon_biggrin

The running theme in both the professional reviews and in this thread has been that the game is fun. The difference seems to be in how innovative/fun it is for a next-gen game. Some people think it's game of the year levels of fun, others (like me) think it's fun but nothing we haven't really seen before. I think this perception may depend on a lot of factors - how hyped you were, what other open world games you've played, E3 perception vs reality, etc.

I don't think there's any conspiracy - in fact, if anything the reviews have been remarkably consistent when taken as a whole.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: May 29, 2014, 06:58:02 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 29, 2014, 05:50:18 PM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on May 29, 2014, 05:40:47 PM

In my limited playing I have noticed any, but I did see a video review where a profiling showed some sex... (wire figures of a girl and guy getting it on in a office.  no nudity, but you knew what was going on)

I haven't gotten to it but I believe there is some side mission storyline about stopping a sex traffic ring, but as far as I know it should be totally optional if that isn't your thing. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: May 29, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »

I believe this is the first time I've had fun with multiplayer in years and years. I think the secret was to make the multiplayer into an optional part of the singleplayer campaign, with quick confrontations that feel meaningful within the greater narrative. This way the online invasions have turned into a mission type in the same way as crimes, gang hideouts, and so on.

Also retried the cover strategy I wrote about earlier, and it really works, as long as you've got an object you can take cover behind from multiple sides. This time I managed to pull it off in an area without any cars nearby at all. A nice tip when you're invading another player is that you don't have to start hacking as soon as you've profiled him. Once you profile him, you can start the hack at any time as far as I can tell, even if the target has left the area. That way he'll have to spend some time reaching you, and you can spend a little time between profiling and hacking to position yourself out of the center of the target circle.

I suspect that this strategy's greatest weakness is cameras. If the target is clever enough to hack into a camera that is behind you, you'll stick out like a sore thumb.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 29, 2014, 07:08:38 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 29, 2014, 06:54:48 PM

Quote from: naednek
At some point during the last year, Watch Dogs was a must have for almost everyone, and somehow the perception changed, and what I hear people complain about makes no sense.  It's like they are trying to find something not to like just to not like it.  But the things they list doesn't match up.  Granted, it's all opinion, but their wrong opinions

It's not like the game is getting trashed. A metacritic score in the low 80s isn't exactly clearance-bin material.  icon_biggrin

The running theme in both the professional reviews and in this thread has been that the game is fun. The difference seems to be in how innovative/fun it is for a next-gen game. Some people think it's game of the year levels of fun, others (like me) think it's fun but nothing we haven't really seen before. I think this perception may depend on a lot of factors - how hyped you were, what other open world games you've played, E3 perception vs reality, etc.

I don't think there's any conspiracy - in fact, if anything the reviews have been remarkably consistent when taken as a whole.

Did you really think that Next-Gen is going to happen overnight, or right when the PS4 or Xbox1 was released?  It's a slow gradual process.  And that's graphically speaking. Just look back from the Xbox to Xbox 360 for proof.  There wasn't a lot difference between the two consoles at first.  Yes the hardware was better, but there was some considerable delay for the graphics to catch up.

Your above post is in terms of gameplay, and that's  a much more longer process than graphic progression.

Maybe it's because I play on the PC platform primarily, and I'm already accustomed to seeing better graphics that look "next-gen".  That's a laughable term, because, it's not next-gen, it's the consoles playing catch up to the PC counterparts.  It's the natural flow of gaming.  PC always looks the best, consoles catch up to a moderate PC build, and then a year or two later they are back to being behind again.    It's just the concept of people complaining about it not being next-gen is funny.  What is next gen to them?  CGI quality graphics now?  That may happen at some point, but it's not going to be done in the next iteration.  It's going to be done over time, like all graphical progressions.  20+ years ago we were playing in sprite based environments.  Before that text.  Overtime we have pushed the bar a little higher to what we see now, but next-gen doesn't mean OMG awesome graphics overnight!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 07:17:20 PM by naednek » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: May 29, 2014, 07:28:11 PM »

I don't think YellowKing was talking about graphics, actually. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was referring to the experience beyond that. The new generation of consoles (I'd rather not call them next-gen. They're current-gen) can do lots of things with AI, complexity and persistence that Watch Dogs frankly doesn't. Still doesn't prevent it from being fun.

Edit: Bleh, after re-reading the above post, I realize my answer was superfluous. Ignore.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 29, 2014, 09:43:51 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 29, 2014, 07:28:11 PM

I don't think YellowKing was talking about graphics, actually. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was referring to the experience beyond that. The new generation of consoles (I'd rather not call them next-gen. They're current-gen) can do lots of things with AI, complexity and persistence that Watch Dogs frankly doesn't. Still doesn't prevent it from being fun.

Edit: Bleh, after re-reading the above post, I realize my answer was superfluous. Ignore.

I addressed that I knew he was talking about gameplay and I responded to that.  But it's also been mentioned in the previous pages about Watch Dogs graphics not being Next Geny enough...
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 29, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »

Quote from: naednek on May 29, 2014, 05:48:40 PM

There's some cussing, but nowhere near as bad and often as the GTA series.  I haven't seen anything regarding sex, other than some descriptions when you profile someone.  I heard you can spy on someone having sex but don't see anything. 
Gratuitous violence and murder but no sex? America is going to love this game!
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 29, 2014, 10:24:42 PM »

The first "next-gen" feature I can remember from the 360 era was Kameo's ability to render hundreds of fantasy trolls you had to wade through between levels.  That game was a childishly simplistic and linear platformer with zero replay value, so it wasn't for another ten months that the rendering technology was put to worthwhile use in Dead Rising.

I don't remember any specific technical feat being touted by the PS3 when it launched, but the first game that really wowed me was Uncharted.  It shipped one full year after the system launched.

The PlayStation 4 has been on the market for about half that time, and I have both Watch Dogs and inFamous: Second Son in my collection.  If not for a free-on-PC voucher, Assassin's Creed IV would be there too.  I don't have any effective way to debate whether or not these games "feel next-gen enough" to other people, but I can say that I'm pretty happy with how the new generation has been going so far.

-Autistic Angel
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 29, 2014, 10:29:28 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 29, 2014, 10:24:42 PM

I don't remember any specific technical feat being touted by the PS3 when it launched, but the first game that really wowed me was Uncharted.  It shipped one full year after the system launched.

It wasn't a launch title, but an early touted PS3 technical feat that sticks out in my mind was with MotorStorm, how the vehicles' wheels would dig into the mud and leave tracks.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 29, 2014, 11:37:43 PM »

Giving this another shot tonight and tomorrow night.    All of your descriptions of your antics have been giving me ideas to try.    Keep it up!
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 30, 2014, 12:18:58 AM »

I'm enjoying it after only a couple hours of play. GTA games (at least single player) never has grabbed me the way Assassins Creed or Far Cry has. It's fun, and that's all that matters to me. Oh and feel free to invade my game, I promise not to put up much of a fight slywink

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 30, 2014, 12:36:50 AM »

Yes, TiLT is correct - I wasn't talking about just graphics. While I picked on them a bit, the next-gen "experience" is about much more than that. It's bigger worlds, better AI, etc. As long as a developer has to make sure their world fits inside a 360, that XB1 title is going to be held back.

And while I realize that it will take time for next-gen consoles to catch up in terms of graphic quality, there's a perfect example in Infamous: Second Son about how a next-gen game that is not shackled to older platforms can look fantastic. That game looks much better than Watch Dogs, and it came out two months ago.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 30, 2014, 12:37:19 AM »

Enjoying the random online stuff. Kinda wish I was invaded more. But I did a few of the missions where I'm racing from point-to-point in a car and the other player is controlling the cops. For some reason I got like 4 of those missions in a row. It seems like its difficult on the person using the cops to be effective as I was able to complete the course twice. The other two times it said I lost connection with the player - guessing they disconnected since I was doing well in both of them.

I then had a hack attempt that went terribly awry. When I was brought in to the persons game they were speeding away on a bike. So I had to chase after them for about a minute and a half (you get 5 minutes to start the hack) before they stopped. Then I got a bit scared approaching the area as I was on a bike and figured I would be easy to spot. So I grabbed a car and headed over to the guy. I found a place to park and waited. I basically had about two minutes left to hack them at this point. But they decided to run around the corner to a location I couldn't hack them from the car. I panicked and got out of my car and started heading around the corner.

But wouldn't you know it. They decided to round the corner just as I was. I slowed to a normal walk thinking I could fake it. But it was pretty soon after that they identified me, even before I started the hack.

I ran like hell and they opened fire. Thankfully they were not a good shot and I was able to zig-zag out of most of the fire. I then climbed a wall and figured I would be smart and circle back on them. But they were still at the wall! If I had just kept going I would likely have gotten away clean. But they saw me and started shooting again. It was only a matter of time before they finally killed me. Terrible. Lost a lot of points there.

I had a second hack that I felt so bad for the person. They were at the top of a parking garage which is probably the worst place to try and locate someone in. But I started the hack and hid close to the stairwell. If they rounded the corner they would have seen me easy. But they ran off in the opposite direction. So I headed down the stairwell to the next level and found a spot in between both levels that would be next to impossible to spot me from. I didn't see them again till sometime near the end of the hack where they were driving their car like a madman in the garage. Felt bad but I'll take the points.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:42:54 AM by Crawley » Logged
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 30, 2014, 01:17:45 AM »

I'm... enjoying this? I guess.

I've been grabbing about an hour or two of play a night on this over the course of the week, and to be honest, the first gameplay session just didn't grab me. I don't really have a lot of affinity for the main character, and the tone of the game just wasn't doing it for me - it's serious and grim enough in the early campaign missions that going back to open-worlding around, with the requisite accidentally running over people and slamming into cars, already felt way too grim, and then topping it off, having the ability to hack people, steal money, see details, was almost a little too much for me - I sort of felt like I was playing a scary, calculating, mass-murdering sociopath, and it felt even worse than playing Trevor in GTAV just because of the darker tone.

The second evening, I got to the part of the game where you open up the skill tree more, which was probably a low point for me. Doing missions where the easiest path through is to kill (some) security guards was unsettling - the silenced pistol plus hacking for explosions is a really unsettling way to get through missions. Fortunately, I stuck it out, and the farther away I've been able to get from the main plot since, the more fun I've had. The rest of that session, and tonight, I've been knocking off random missions (gang hideouts, convoys, etc), grabbing skill points and checkpoints, and it was much more enjoyable.

Now that the campaign seems to be throwing a few more clearly identifiable 'baddies' at me, who are killable for reasons beyond just that I snuck into their restricted area, hopefully it will even out in tone and be a little more conventional fun for a while. Otherwise, this might be one where I do a ton of side missions so I can become ridiculously powerful, and then just blaze through story missions as quick as possible just to see the plot.

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 30, 2014, 02:38:23 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 29, 2014, 10:18:00 PM

Quote from: naednek on May 29, 2014, 05:48:40 PM

Gratuitous violence and murder but no sex? America is going to love this game!

Not sure how far people are along in the game. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
There is a main mission in Act 2 that is heavily involving illegal sex trading with an auction of women etc.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 30, 2014, 02:44:54 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 29, 2014, 06:54:48 PM

The difference seems to be in how innovative/fun it is for a next-gen game. Some people think it's game of the year levels of fun, others (like me) think it's fun but nothing we haven't really seen before. I think this perception may depend on a lot of factors - how hyped you were, what other open world games you've played, E3 perception vs reality, etc.

I guess I question why the reviewer should measure this game up to some imaginary "next-gen" standard it needs to live up to.  If anyone thought games right off the bat (especially cross-gen ones) were going to be some massive leap from the previous generation, they were deluding themselves.  It should be measured on the quality and entertainment of the game itself, not some imaginary perception of what the game should be.

I still continue to have tons of fun in it and, keep in mind I am a huge AC fan, I think it blows AC out of the water for fun things to do outside the main mission structure.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 30, 2014, 03:06:41 AM »

Ok the online races are a blast too. These are the 3-8 man races. Played about 10 of those in a row I was having so much fun (and winning ;D). Had a really neat race around Chicago in the mini-Cooper like cars which was so fun as it was very open where you could go. It was a close race for everyone to the end.

Then it blew my mind a bit when a race with motorcycles came up. That one was equally crazy as it started in the southern burbs on the dirt then ended up in the city at the end. Absolute madness on that one as there were a choices to make and so many crashes.

Then there was another motorcycle race on the L tracks. Dodging L trains and hopping on and off the tracks. That one was a blast too.

I do have to say once you get ahead in the race it seems like its difficult to get deposed. You can start triggering all the traffic lights and barriers and what not and the people behind you will have to deal with it. I had a few races where I came in first by like 10 seconds. But I did have one race where I hit a wall early on that stopped me cold and put me firmly in last place. Then during the final lap I was able to gain ground (think there were the full 8 in that one) and get 3rd.

Also liked after the race, during the next voting phase, you could smash your car in to the other racers that are waiting or get out and start shooting them. Mindless fun while you wait.

I did notice a few people that were rubber banding around but not too bad. The worst were people who left their mics open. Thankfully there's the mute.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: May 30, 2014, 04:32:24 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on May 30, 2014, 03:06:41 AM

Ok the online races are a blast too. These are the 3-8 man races. Played about 10 of those in a row I was having so much fun (and winning ;D). Had a really neat race around Chicago in the mini-Cooper like cars which was so fun as it was very open where you could go. It was a close race for everyone to the end.

Then it blew my mind a bit when a race with motorcycles came up. That one was equally crazy as it started in the southern burbs on the dirt then ended up in the city at the end. Absolute madness on that one as there were a choices to make and so many crashes.

Then there was another motorcycle race on the L tracks. Dodging L trains and hopping on and off the tracks. That one was a blast too.

I do have to say once you get ahead in the race it seems like its difficult to get deposed. You can start triggering all the traffic lights and barriers and what not and the people behind you will have to deal with it. I had a few races where I came in first by like 10 seconds. But I did have one race where I hit a wall early on that stopped me cold and put me firmly in last place. Then during the final lap I was able to gain ground (think there were the full 8 in that one) and get 3rd.

Also liked after the race, during the next voting phase, you could smash your car in to the other racers that are waiting or get out and start shooting them. Mindless fun while you wait.

I did notice a few people that were rubber banding around but not too bad. The worst were people who left their mics open. Thankfully there's the mute.
Red Dead Redemption had this.  fun way to mess around for a minute

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: May 30, 2014, 07:48:29 AM »

By the way, there is nudity in the game. Like, full nudity and sex. Caught that from a podcast talk. So buyer beware if you're concerned about that.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: May 30, 2014, 08:18:10 AM »

Does anyone know if it's possible to use Disable Helicopter while driving? I'm completely unable to look at the helicopter from my car during a chase, which means I have to get out of my car to disable the heli, and then get back in. Needless to say, that is both pointless and dangerous. There has to be a better way, right?
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 30, 2014, 10:03:52 AM »

My first and only try so far in the online hacking had been a disaster.

As soon as I was in the other person's game, I saw him head straight towards my area on a motorcycle and started profiling and promptly found me. I hadn't been able to start the hack yet, nor do any kind of set up. Then I tried to get away and he ran me over, lol.

Maybe I'll try again later.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: May 30, 2014, 10:45:44 AM »

Quote from: Tokek on May 30, 2014, 10:03:52 AM

As soon as I was in the other person's game, I saw him head straight towards my area on a motorcycle and started profiling and promptly found me. I hadn't been able to start the hack yet, nor do any kind of set up. Then I tried to get away and he ran me over, lol.

Bad luck. I had an opponent come running straight for me too, but I pretended to be an NPC, and he didn't profile me. I placed a hack on him myself and went into hiding immediately afterwards.

Your opponent will get no warning that you're in his game until you start to hack him. His only clue may be that the game won't allow him to start any missions while you're there. It's the same way with tailing missions too, except that he'll never even know you were in his supposedly single-player game unless you screw it up. Your target was quite likely as surprised as yourself when he profiled you and realized that you were an actual human being.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 30, 2014, 11:33:01 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 30, 2014, 10:45:44 AM

Bad luck. I had an opponent come running straight for me too, but I pretended to be an NPC, and he didn't profile me. I placed a hack on him myself and went into hiding immediately afterwards.

Your opponent will get no warning that you're in his game until you start to hack him. His only clue may be that the game won't allow him to start any missions while you're there. It's the same way with tailing missions too, except that he'll never even know you were in his supposedly single-player game unless you screw it up. Your target was quite likely as surprised as yourself when he profiled you and realized that you were an actual human being.

This is my main problem with Invasion.  It's a form of forced PvP and while I have no qualms about PvP I'd rather do it when I want and not when someone decides to invade my single player experience

edit- Glenn Beck claims that Watch_Dogs teaches people to hack into your phone/tablets in real life.   icon_eek
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:45:35 AM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: May 30, 2014, 01:19:15 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 30, 2014, 11:33:01 AM

This is my main problem with Invasion.  It's a form of forced PvP and while I have no qualms about PvP I'd rather do it when I want and not when someone decides to invade my single player experience

If it really was forced, I would have agreed with you. However, the game allows you to easily opt out of the multiplayer. It also doesn't appear that you're simply invaded because someone decides to do so. The game apparently doles out multiplayer sessions along with regular events, which means you are unlikely to be hacked repeatedly in short succession. I think the only time when people may intrude upon your game deliberately is as a revenge act after a failed tailing attempt, at which point they're given the option to head straight into your game to take their vengeance upon you.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 30, 2014, 01:57:05 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on May 30, 2014, 11:33:01 AM

Quote from: TiLT on May 30, 2014, 10:45:44 AM

edit- Glenn Beck claims that Watch_Dogs teaches people to hack into your phone/tablets in real life.   icon_eek

To be fair, Glen Beck wasn't saying that it literally teaches you HOW to hack.   He's saying that it is teaching children that a world where you hack into people's private lives is normal and you can actually be the hero doing so.   

"The idea here is they are teaching you to hack and then become the ultimate voyeur in other people's lives, including their bedrooms, by hacking into their phones and everything," Beck said during a segment on violence in video games. Beck noted earlier on in the show that game series' Call of Duty had been said to teach the perpetrator of the 2011 Norway attacks how to shoot to kill.

"This game is teaching you to hack into whatever is docked in your bedroom. What the heck is wrong with us? What are we thinking? We are inviting this into our home and our lives. We are teaching our kids for entertainment purposes," Beck continued.

And per my dad who was in Army is Strategic Planning, video games actually ARE teaching us to be able to shoot to kill.   Prior to video games, the vast majority of battlefield small arms enemy casualties were taken by less than 10% of soldiers.   The vast majority of soldiers intentionally never fired their small arms or when they did they would shoot to miss.     After several generations of kids growing up on video games, the population has not become more violent because of it, but soldiers on the battlefield are far more likely to shoot to kill and actually use their firearms for that purpose.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 30, 2014, 02:37:55 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on May 30, 2014, 01:57:05 PM

After several generations of kids growing up on video games, the population has not become more violent because of it, but soldiers on the battlefield are far more likely to shoot to kill and actually use their firearms for that purpose.

We want soldiers on the battlefield to shoot to kill! 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: May 30, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 30, 2014, 02:37:55 PM

Quote from: msduncan on May 30, 2014, 01:57:05 PM

After several generations of kids growing up on video games, the population has not become more violent because of it, but soldiers on the battlefield are far more likely to shoot to kill and actually use their firearms for that purpose.

We want soldiers on the battlefield to shoot to kill! 

actually, you usually want to wound them as that then forces them to devote resources to saving them. 
/MilitaryNerdGlasses

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 30, 2014, 07:20:27 PM »

Well, I traded in black flag and infamous today, only had to pay $.54 for this. Seems like a good deal to me.

Sent from my mobile device

Wake up.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: May 30, 2014, 07:44:39 PM »

I just had an interesting couple of online encounters that showed off the power of emergence in stuff like this. It started with me hacking another player, but apparently he was AFK, because he just stood there and let me hack him. However, he had made some mayhem on that street before I got into his game, so there was a massive steam leak that was causing large amounts of cars to queue up and honk their horns. It was a true traffic jam with perhaps two dozen cars at all. Once my hack was done, I was about to leave the place when I was informed that I was being hacked myself, and that the hacker was hiding in... the traffic jam. Suddenly, a random action done by one player had gone through my game and turned into an advantage a third player was able to use against me. I had to keep running around, checking every car, even if I wasn't sure he was even hiding in a car in the first place. He had nearly succeeded (I think he was at 95% or so) when I finally found him hiding in one of the cars. I failed to catch him because police intervened when I opened fire, but at least I managed to stop him from winning.

You never know how one of these hacker contests will turn out. Their nature varies according to where in the city you are and what's been going on there recently. Hunting down a hacker in a suburban neighborhood is very different from hunting him down in a downtown traffic jam, or in a rural industrial area.

Then some other guy tailed me but got my attention because I was trying to start a mission and couldn't. As I ran around searching for the guy, he triggered a massive blackout of the entire area, making my task even harder. He won in the end, that bastard. Tongue
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 30, 2014, 09:50:21 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on May 30, 2014, 07:20:27 PM

Well, I traded in black flag and infamous today, only had to pay $.54 for this. Seems like a good deal to me.

That is why Gamestop make out like bandits.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 30, 2014, 11:34:40 PM »

Point taken, but I wasn't planning on playing either one again, and getting a game I do want to play for $0.54 was pretty convenient.

Wake up.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 31, 2014, 01:36:49 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on May 30, 2014, 11:34:40 PM

Point taken, but I wasn't planning on playing either one again, and getting a game I do want to play for $0.54 was pretty convenient.

I see both sides of this. They are a shitty company with their practices...but it's so convenient when they actually give you a decent trade in value. Especially when they are running " deals". I've been trying to go to best buy instead, even though they are just as bad , but they seem to give better trade in values.

Back on topic , this game is really growing on me .
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 31, 2014, 01:39:06 AM »

From a quick peek at eBay, it looks like you got pretty close to the going rate for the two games anyhow.  I'm usually last in line to defend GameStop, but in this instance they gave you a pretty fair deal.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: May 31, 2014, 02:05:10 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 30, 2014, 08:18:10 AM

Does anyone know if it's possible to use Disable Helicopter while driving? I'm completely unable to look at the helicopter from my car during a chase, which means I have to get out of my car to disable the heli, and then get back in. Needless to say, that is both pointless and dangerous. There has to be a better way, right?

I had my first helicopter involved chase earlier and ran into the exact same problem. Of course, I was in the city proper so it wasn't like they'd be down low either for me to look at.

Thankfully I evaded them pretty easily. I had shaken off all the ground vehicles and all was left was the chopper. I saw a spot where a train track was overhead and slammed on my brakes underneath it. The chopper stopped and started making a slow turn, thinking that I had backed out the other direction. Once he'd made a 180 turn, I floored it, and he never saw me leaving.

I was actually pretty impressed because I figured that choppers would have super-amazing 360 degree vision, but no, they're limited too.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 02:08:00 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: May 31, 2014, 02:16:41 AM »

Man, you must be really lucky, Destructor.  I've had many chases with helicopters and now they were at the point today where they are also shooting my car with sniper rifles and doing massive damage, which is about the only way the cops can destroy my car. 

Not being able to shut down helicopters from the car seems like a total oversight; doing that would be a no brainer and help things a ton. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 31, 2014, 04:17:16 AM »

Finished all 100 hotspot check-ins tonight. I've been plowing through side content like crazy. Now I'm working on ctOS towers and hubs.

As much as I've criticized the game, it's still all I want to play at the moment. It's an incredible time sink. I've put in around 8 hours so far and have only done two campaign missions.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: