http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 10:30:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [E3 2012] Watch Dogs  (Read 14307 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 23, 2014, 08:24:25 PM »

Well I just watched the IGN twitch and it was...fine I guess.  It seemed like all the hacking stuff was just another layer over the GTA formula.  Which isn't bad perse but it didn't really blow me away.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2014, 08:37:30 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 23, 2014, 08:22:34 PM

Some people are just overly sensitive of even the slightest criticism, even if that criticism is just a personal preference.

That's the thing though: It wasn't personal preference. You made a factually wrong statement. You will note that I didn't insult you or the Xbox One, apart from pointing out a well-known bug in its hardware and Microsoft's unwillingness to fix it. I merely pointed out, in detail, why your statement was wrong. You're free to have your own opinions, but when you make claims like the PS4 being unable to draw perfect blacks and it being washed out in color, you should be prepared to have someone correct you.

And let me reiterate: The symptoms you are talking about will not affect you in any way, shape or form. No matter if you play your games on Xbox One or PS4, they will have that "washed out" look you dislike. This is because they both show the full color spectrum available to your TV. It's only when communicating with recording devices that the Xbox One's bug comes into play, not when communicating with a TV. And again, if you somehow prefer the crushed blacks, you can set either console to display them by choosing to use full dynamic range. You may have one of those rare TVs that actually support full dynamic range though. In that case you'll get the same effect by using limited dynamic range on your console of choice. You'll figure it out.

But trust me, you'll quickly go back to your TVs standard dynamic range after trying this out. I'm not kidding when I say that games are pretty much unplayable with crushed blacks. If you want to give it a quick test and have the latest Thief game, try playing that with the wrong dynamic range on either console. You'll quickly find that it's impossible to get anywhere when you do so.

This isn't an attempt at a war. This is an attempt to explain this phenomenon in a way that illustrates why it's such a problem, and why many of us find it very grating when people say that crushed blacks look better. It's not a console war. It's more of a TV war, if anything.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »

Man my Philips LCD HDTV is so much better than that Sony Bravia crap
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2014, 09:27:30 PM »

Quote from: naednek on May 23, 2014, 09:17:50 PM

Man my Philips LCD HDTV is so much better than that Sony Bravia crap

OH! IT IS ON NOW BRO!!!
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2014, 09:34:08 PM »

Watched some of the Twitch thing too. It looked pretty decent to me. Its not straying too far from the GTA/Saints Row formula. I did really enjoy the little augmented reality segment with the alien invasion. It seems kinda like mindless fun. And the Carmegeddon one wasn't too bad either. Other than that it seems typical open world game.

But mainly I'm getting this because its Chicago. I'm going to have perverse fun wandering around, going to all the places I worked in the loop, and riding the L. Even though I don't care to be in the city, my commute to the city sucks, and I hate riding the L. biggrin
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2014, 09:54:56 PM »

yeah, I'm still decently excited for next week.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »

[Edit] I deleted all my comments because I don't want to contribute anymore to the drama. Just suffice it to say that often HOW you say something is more important than WHAT you say.

As far as Watch Dogs goes, I'd say my excitement level would be considered "moderate." I was SUPER hyped for it back when I thought it would be a launch title, but cooled on it as the months went by. Watching videos didn't do much to raise my excitement because it looked basically like GTA with hacking. That's not a bad thing per se - I enjoy GTA-like open world games. However, my hype level for them tends to ebb and flow. Right now I think I'm on a downswing with open world stuff which is why I'm probably a little apathetic.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:49:18 PM by YellowKing » Logged
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2014, 04:33:36 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on May 23, 2014, 09:34:08 PM

But mainly I'm getting this because its Chicago. I'm going to have perverse fun wandering around, going to all the places I worked in the loop, and riding the L. Even though I don't care to be in the city, my commute to the city sucks, and I hate riding the L. biggrin

I'm excited about Chicago too, reminds me of the many hours I spent on Midtown Madness for the PC.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2014, 09:35:16 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 23, 2014, 10:02:46 PM

[Edit] I deleted all my comments

This is becoming quite the pattern with you. Over the last 6 months or so, you've posted some particularly vile (and I do mean vile) stuff, particularly about me as a person, and then deleted it afterwards. Do you really think people don't notice this?

There's drama here because you create it. End of story.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2014, 11:37:13 AM »

Number one, my original comments about the PS3 were in no way, shape, or form, "drama." I simply stated an opinion. It was your choice to confront it.

Number two, the comments I deleted were not derogatory towards you or anyone else. I was simply defending my opinion.

Please don't try to insinuate that I was making personal attacks and then deleting them, because it's not true. My comments were up for at least a couple of hours. I'm sure many folks read them and can attest that they were not personal attacks against you in any way.

The common pattern here is that you choose to argue points or make mountains out of molehills, then play the victim when someone calls you out on it. All I did was state an opinion. Forge chose to call my comments "insane," and you chose to pile on by trying to demonstrate how smart you are. Either of you could have just let it go, or debated my comments in a respectful manner.

Yes, I did post some personal attacks against you in the heat of the console wars. That's history. I've apologized for it. I've extended the olive branch to you numerous times and you've always found a way to ignore it. I have posted no personal attacks since then, and I don't plan on ever doing it again. Why you choose to make this some kind of personal vendetta is beyond me, but I just want to talk about games.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »

You apologized and then stopped your personal attacks? No you fucking didn't, and I certainly haven't forgotten or forgiven you for it. The stuff you posted and then deleted back then was worse than posts people have gotten banned over in this very forum before. Those were personal attacks of the worst kind, and this is the first time you've even acknowledged that you posted them in the first place. That's the kind of thing I expect you've been posting when you delete posts again. I was kind enough to let it slide back then, but I might have made the wrong call in hindsight.

No, I haven't attacked you or your opinion in this thread. I have challenged facts you've posted. If you take a step back and look at how this started, you'll see that it was you who made the first "shots". This is how it always starts. I have ONLY argued the facts. Don't mix me up with forge, for I'm not him.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »

TiLT, if you have evidence to back up your claims, then please post it. Otherwise, stop trying to get me in trouble. I'm no longer interested in playing the game.

Any personal attacks I posted back then were a direct result of your constant baiting and pushing my buttons. It's unfortunate that I stooped to that level and let you get to me in that fashion, but be assured that they were not unprovoked. It's a mistake I don't plan on repeating, no matter how many times you wish to bring it back up. I've been around GT and OO a long time. I think most people know that I don't go around attacking people willy-nilly unprovoked.

Also, I didn't fire any shots whatsoever. If you perceived my opinion on the black levels of the PS4 as "firing a shot" against a console I own and enjoy, then that's your problem.

Once again I'm going to try to steer the thread back to Watch Dogs. My biggest problem with the game right now is trying to avoid buying something else to fill the three day wait!

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2014, 12:55:14 PM »

If you aren't aware of it Yellowking, then I'm sorry to tell you , that you are often instigating trouble in these threads.

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2014, 12:56:03 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 22, 2014, 05:07:49 PM

new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_q-s3QdmU8

oh, and what's this?  They added in quotes from gaming sites.

The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

I saw this - supercool! Congratulations on that, Gamingtrend! You are moving up in the world :-)

A new one
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2014, 12:56:18 PM »

Take it to PM, ladies.

Oh wait. I'm not a mod.

Still. I am wise.

And I know a thing or two about feuds here. Just let it go boys.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 24, 2014, 12:53:21 PM

TiLT, if you have evidence to back up your claims, then please post it.

What claims? That you've deleted vile posts? I can't show evidence for that, but maybe the mods are able to see pre-edit posts? We all know what thread it was in anyway.

Or are you talking about the crushed blacks thing? I thought I backed that up. What else would you like to know? I'm willing to dig up more concrete info for you, if that's what you want.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 24, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »

I am no longer going to respond to trolls. I think anyone with an ounce of common sense can see who the true instigator in this thread was. Once again I tried to steer the conversation back to the game, and once again TiLT continues with the attacks. I've tried repeatedly to stop the argument, and he continues to prod and provoke. TiLT, if you wish to continue, then by all means take it to PM. Or better yet, just put me on ignore. Let's continue with the game discussion.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: May 24, 2014, 01:32:22 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 24, 2014, 01:27:52 PM

I am no longer going to respond to trolls. I think anyone with an ounce of common sense can see who the true instigator in this thread was. Once again I tried to steer the conversation back to the game, and once again TiLT continues with the attacks. I've tried repeatedly to stop the argument, and he continues to prod and provoke. TiLT, if you wish to continue, then by all means take it to PM. Or better yet, just put me on ignore. Let's continue with the game discussion.

Huh? You asked me to back up my claims. Why would you do that if you wanted to end the conversation? If you want it to end, just end it. Don't desperately try to get the last word in in some strange attempt to "win".
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 24, 2014, 01:33:44 PM »

I've tried to end it like four times now and you keep resurrecting it. It's almost comical at this point. You want it ended? Consider it ended (for the fourth or fifth time).

To everyone else, I've put TiLT on my ignore list since he seems to be unwilling to do the same for me. Hopefully this will eliminate the drama. Let's get back to the game discussion, and I apologize that the thread got derailed.

I will, however, state that from screenshots/videos I've seen across a wide variety of games, the PS titles (particularly the darker scenes) tend to look a little more muted and washed out. That's all I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to start a console war or push anyone's buttons. This perception is probably due to the crushed blacks or whatever, but again, it's just personal opinion. It doesn't stop me from buying PS games or enjoying PS games, and I understand that on a technical level that the PS color is more accurate.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:39:22 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 24, 2014, 01:37:21 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 24, 2014, 01:27:52 PM

wow...just...wow - Consider your sage advise taken.

A new one
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 24, 2014, 01:58:38 PM »

No, we don't have a way to see posts that were pre-edited.  However I saw yellowking's post before it was edited, and didn't see any personal attacks being made.  I don't remember word for word, but he was essentially backing his opinion.  Whether if it was right or wrong, I don't care.

Obviously there's bad blood here.  It's carried on since the 2014 console wars, and it's spilling over to other threads.  It's happened before, and people were eventually banned.  None of us wanted to ban that person, but it was getting so vile it had to be done.  It was old yeller all over again.

Don't make me pull out my shotgun.  It took me a long while to get over that.

With that said, I thought Tilt's technical input was interesting and thought he did a good job describing  what YK was seeing.  While YK's post was a little passive aggressive, I don't see anything that was against the COC.  However the bickering over and over between the two of you is getting old, and it sounds like YK has taken the steps to move on and not carry this further.  If it takes using the ignore feature to make it work, that's cool, but it's just too bad we can't just be adults and learn to keep things polite between each other.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 24, 2014, 01:59:12 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 24, 2014, 01:33:44 PM

I will, however, state that from screenshots/videos I've seen across a wide variety of games, the PS titles (particularly the darker scenes) tend to look a little more muted and washed out. That's all I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to start a console war or push anyone's buttons. This perception is probably due to the crushed blacks or whatever, but again, it's just personal opinion. It doesn't stop me from buying PS games or enjoying PS games, and I understand that on a technical level that the PS color is more accurate.

If you like the way that looks, why not adjust the TV settings on your PS4 input to achieve the same thing?  Most modern sets store individual settings for each input.  Just notch the Brightness a little bit down, the Color or Vividness a little bit up, and you'll have the visuals you prefer without giving up a chunk of performance.  Everybody wins!

-Autistic Angel
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2014, 02:23:28 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 22, 2014, 05:07:49 PM

new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_q-s3QdmU8

oh, and what's this?  They added in quotes from gaming sites.

The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

"Nothing else like it". Could be the Mona Lisa, could be Patterson in New Jersey; really nothing else like it. Or certainly you would hope so  icon_confused

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2014, 02:39:13 PM »

I thought "Nothing Else Like It" was the tagline for LocoCycle.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 24, 2014, 02:51:03 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 24, 2014, 11:37:13 AM

Forge chose to call my comments "insane,"

Sorry, I assumed you were aware of all the fictional connections of your handle and would get it as the jape that it was.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 24, 2014, 03:16:09 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on May 24, 2014, 01:59:12 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on May 24, 2014, 01:33:44 PM

If you like the way that looks, why not adjust the TV settings on your PS4 input to achieve the same thing?  Most modern sets store individual settings for each input.  Just notch the Brightness a little bit down, the Color or Vividness a little bit up, and you'll have the visuals you prefer without giving up a chunk of performance.  Everybody wins!

-Autistic Angel

Yeah, I think if you just set the PS4 to Limited Range, you can accomplish the same thing.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 24, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »

No worries forge. When does the review embargo lift?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 24, 2014, 11:41:30 PM »

Well that's funny, I guess I preordered this from Amazon last June and forgot about. Just got my shipment notice.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 25, 2014, 06:04:37 AM »

I preordered it from Amazon for the PS4 around the same time but ended up cancelling at the last minute. I have a crap ton of other titles on my plate at the moment and really need to decide if I'd rather PC this one... so waiting for the embargo to lift.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: May 25, 2014, 09:07:22 AM »

The embargo lifts the same day as the game is released. It's pretty shady, considering how hard Ubisoft is working on trying to make us pre-order.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 25, 2014, 04:40:49 PM »

I'm sorry. Did you guys forget this is a place to share passion about a HOBBY! You know fun stuff you do in your free time. Yes, the word FUN was used! Jesus fucking Christ! I know other place are worse, but sheesh. Kinda weird since I get along w/ all the above parties.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 25, 2014, 08:53:05 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 24, 2014, 11:41:30 PM

Well that's funny, I guess I preordered this from Amazon last June and forgot about. Just got my shipment notice.

Same for me, PS4 version.  Had I remembered the preorder I think I would have canceled it, not due to the quality of the game or PS4 but just to wait and see how the game is reviewed.  I don't have a overwhelming desire to play Watchdogs and probably would have skipped it unless it comes very highly rated.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 25, 2014, 09:19:05 PM »

Otter has forsaken meeeee!  ninja
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2014, 01:05:01 AM »

I do not trust games where the embargo lifts the same day it launches.   I have no problem marching into Gamestop on Tuesday and canceling my $5 preorder if this isn't a great game.   Wildstar begins Saturday anyway.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 26, 2014, 01:05:22 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 25, 2014, 09:19:05 PM

You have been Otterly forsaken.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 26, 2014, 01:12:13 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 24, 2014, 09:35:16 AM

Quote from: YellowKing on May 23, 2014, 10:02:46 PM

[Edit] I deleted all my comments

This is becoming quite the pattern with you. Over the last 6 months or so, you've posted some particularly vile (and I do mean vile) stuff, particularly about me as a person, and then deleted it afterwards. Do you really think people don't notice this?

There's drama here because you create it. End of story.

Incorrect.    You know exactly what you are doing, and you toe that line so precisely that it's almost a form of art.   Bravo that you can get away with it and even garner some supporters along the way rather than get the warning you truly deserve.

I admit that I'm a loose cannon on forums at times, but a person that can cause Yellowking to get enraged has truly accomplished a feat.   Those of you that have been around these forums (Gaming Trend and OO) for years know this if you stop and think about it long enough.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: May 26, 2014, 01:46:30 AM »

I imagine the PC download will be quite large so hopefully they allow preloads of this through Uplay, though i'm not sure if they have done that in the past. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 26, 2014, 01:57:56 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 25, 2014, 09:19:05 PM

And yet I was online last night playing BF4 on XB1 and where were you?  Hmmmm?????

I really have not looked at WatchDogs multiplayer to even think that it might be a big focus for the game.  Is multiplayer looking to be a good draw?

I have to admit I ordered for the PS4 with the thinking it would be another game for the system, so far my PS4 library consists of AssCree 4 and..... nothing else.  I haven't turned on the PS4 in quite some time.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 26, 2014, 01:59:04 AM »

I'm a little scared about the review embargo, but it doesn't always mean bad things. I read an article where they took like 8 games with launch day embargoes and tallied whether they wound up good or bad. The end score was 3 bad, 5 good I think. Not definitive in and of itself, but sometimes the embargo is just to prevent spoilers. The big pre-order push combined with the embargo certainly has me on edge, however.

I also have no problem canceling my pre-order. I'm prepared to cancel it even if the game gets positive but not great reviews. I've got enough on my plate without paying $60 for mediocrity.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 26, 2014, 02:47:18 AM »

I think multiplayer looks good.  It has three modes, the dark souls style invasion like thing, the tablet controlling the police and city version, and team on team which looks like it could be a blast with a good crew.

I got rid of BF4 quite a while ago, just too many issues to be worth it for me.  It was one of the few games that wasn't digital, so I took advantage of the ability to get rid of it.

I couldn't care less about reviews or embargos.  Rarely means anything that it's being held up other than some guy who makes a bunch of money wants to delay it for whatever reason. 

At any rate, I'll play with ya Otter, and if nothing else, if you play on XB1 there is a chance I'll show up hacking you while you're playing and don't even see me until it's too late slywink
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: