http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 06:06:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [E3 2010] - Official Gaming Trend Coverage Begins  (Read 18478 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2010, 07:44:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 14, 2010, 07:05:14 PM

Giving the audience free 360s actually kind of burns me up since most of them (from what I gather at least) are journalists.  Seems like a huge conflict of interest to me.  This isn't Oprah.

nah. ms's been purchasing people for so long, it's more like a tradition at this point smile ..

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2010, 07:45:02 PM »

300 bucks for the new 360, was planning on getting one with HDMI anyways, bigger hd and built in wifi is icing on the cake.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2010, 07:45:39 PM »

apparently Gametrailers have shown a few more details on the new 360 and the HDD is different

kinda glad that i didn't buy that 250Gig HDD now

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2010, 07:50:40 PM »

Giving the audience free 360s actually kind of burns me up since most of them (from what I gather at least) are journalists.  Seems like a huge conflict of interest to me.  This isn't Oprah.  

Yeah. The more I think about it the more it pisses me off. Yes, I'm jealous. But beyond that E3 is an event for companies to show off their wares to journalists. Part of me is happy the spectacle is back, but the other wonders why since the people that are there are working. It seems like hand job journalism to me. That's why I like the idea of PAX. You are advertising to your core evangelists, not someone who will write a piece and then move on. Bottom line, I wouldn't be mad if it was a bunch of gamers who got a free console. Still be jealous though.

Yes I know most journalists are gamers as well, but they were also paid to be there.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2010, 07:54:21 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on June 14, 2010, 07:50:40 PM

Yeah. The more I think about it the more it pisses me off. Yes, I'm jealous. But beyond that E3 is an event for companies to show off their wares to journalists. Part of me is happy the spectacle is back, but the other wonders why since the people that are there are working. It seems like hand job journalism to me. That's why I like the idea of PAX. You are advertising to your core evangelists, not someone who will write a piece and then move on. Bottom line, I wouldn't be mad if it was a bunch of gamers who got a free console. Still be jealous though.

Yes I know most journalists are gamers as well, but they were also paid to be there.

I can assure you that everyone from GT that is there went on their own dime.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2010, 07:54:30 PM »

skip to about 2hrs 5 minutes

http://www.gametrailers.com/e3/livefeed/microsoft

it has got an Ethernet port icon_biggrin

looks more like the PS3 HDD,a little door opens at the back

$50 off for the current 360

it was correct about the power source for the Kinect-no power source needed with new 360..but needs one for the old 360s

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on June 14, 2010, 07:55:54 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 14, 2010, 07:40:55 PM

someone posting on Kotaku(not sure where he got this from,i think he is making it up)said that with this 360 you wont need your own power source for the Kinect,but with the old 360s you do

I would really doubt this. It's usb connection, why should it care what it's connected to.

Not all USB ports output enough power. My old Powerbook needed a special two-port forked usb cable to run my old portable hard drive.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2010, 07:59:18 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on June 14, 2010, 07:54:21 PM

And Ron was the only one at the MS Conference.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2010, 08:01:09 PM »

wonder what i can trade my current model in at amazon for. 100 bucks would mean only 150 to upgrade, good price imo.

with rock band 3 coming i need more space. with DLC needing more info in it I can see it getting up there in space. 30 some gigs for rock band already and I haven't gotten any dlc in months.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2010, 08:03:28 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on June 14, 2010, 07:57:35 PM

someone posting on Kotaku(not sure where he got this from,i think he is making it up)said that with this 360 you wont need your own power source for the Kinect,but with the old 360s you do

I would really doubt this. It's usb connection, why should it care what it's connected to.

Not all USB ports output enough power. My old Powerbook needed a special two-port forked usb cable to run my old portable hard drive.

you two have lost me now...not sure where USB has come from,i was talking about electric,not how the kinect kinected(<<see what i did there )to the 360...but about how the Kinect has to be plugged into the wall if you have an old 360

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2010, 08:10:33 PM »

pics from Kotaku again

Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »

Doubt you could say the same for Gamespot or G4.

And I want to be clear. I'm not mad at the people covering the event. I'm irritated because most, maybe just some I don't really know, of those who attended got a second 360 (Simple lust on my part which I acknowledge). It's irritating to me because the general public, in my narrow view of the moment, never get these kind of opportunities. I just don't get who Microsoft is trying to please here.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2010, 08:20:03 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on June 14, 2010, 08:18:54 PM

Doubt you could say the same for Gamespot or G4.

And I want to be clear. I'm not mad at the people covering the event. I'm irritated because most, maybe just some I don't really know, of those who attended got a second 360 (Simple lust on my part which I acknowledge). It's irritating to me because the general public, in my narrow view of the moment, never get these kind of opportunities. I just don't get who Microsoft is trying to please here.

reviewers of the new 360 icon_biggrin

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2010, 08:24:35 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on June 14, 2010, 08:18:54 PM

It's ourtright bribery.  MS knows damn well that getting a $300 piece of hardware for personal use is going to color the journalists' impressions of the events and their subsequent writeups. 
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2010, 08:25:32 PM »

Well, I missed the whole thing, except for this thread.  Why?  I forgot, of course, because I have a crappy memory - plus I was slaying monsters on the Wii.  Maybe that's ironic...   Roll Eyes

Microsoft will never let me remain ignorant though, I'm sure when I hop on XBL there will be some kind of super-extravaganza-lollapalooza video to DL after I finish with the Jurassic beasties.   Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2010, 08:26:38 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 14, 2010, 08:03:28 PM

you two have lost me now...not sure where USB has come from,i was talking about electric,not how the kinect kinected(<<see what i did there )to the 360...but about how the Kinect has to be plugged into the wall if you have an old 360
As soon as you put an update to your first post I deleted mine, though apparently not quick enough. th'Fool is right, there are some devices that need more power than what a single USB can give. It does seem odd to me that the older version would need a power plug, but that the newer one does not. So would that mean that they were able to reduce power consumption with better parts, but then transferred that savings to a new device? Which then wouldn't that mean that the new 360 is just as likely to red ring as the older one. Granted it got better with Jasper, but still doesn't that fail as well.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2010, 08:26:45 PM »

Overall a good showing, although too much Kinect based stuff, only some of it worth playing though. What were the major core games shown? Halo Reach, Fable 3, and Gears 3?

Excited for the Sony conference, I want to see more stuff about core games, but afraid I'll just see more Motion control stuff like the MS conference.

That said, I may finally get a new 360 to replace the one my little sister took.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2010, 08:29:03 PM »

Easily the worst conference since sony's 2006 conference.

New crytek game looked cool but it was just a pre rendered trailer, fable 3 looked a big meh and so did halo. Gears 3 looked pretty awesome.

Then there was lots of gimmicky games and a slim/redesign which looked cool too but I wont buy. That was it for exclusive stuff.  icon_neutral

Here's a amazing list of kinect games.  Roll Eyes

Hope sony will focus less of stupid gimmicks.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2010, 08:30:59 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 14, 2010, 08:26:45 PM

Overall a good showing, although too much Kinect based stuff, only some of it worth playing though. What were the major core games shown? Halo Reach, Fable 3, and Gears 3?

I thought it was really poor.  Very little for the core games (two of which aren't even exclusive) and the Kinetic stuff just looked like HD Wii stuff which is disappointing considering how much they've talked about how it was going to offer something different for the past year.  

I'll be shocked if Sony and Nintendo don't blow them away.  Sony has already revealed so many new titles in the past few weeks that I'm assuming they've got some really major stuff left for the conference (unless they spend the whole time on Move) and Nintendo should actually have a really exciting conference since 3DS will presumably be there.  
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2010, 08:37:16 PM »

The power transmitted via USB to use a device is relatively limited; for instance, it takes hours to charge an iphone through USB whereas plugging it into a wall charges it way faster. The Kinect will have its own connection setup to the new 360 (even if it looks like USB2.0, it cannot xfer that much power) so the old 360's won't be able to step up. This is where an external power source would come in.

e.g. : It may be that the ports are now USB 3.0 on the 360 slim (3.0 @ 5Gbit/s, USB2.0 was 480Mbits/s), and the mA was upped to a range of 150mA - 900mA from 100mA - 500mA for USB 2, although Voltage dropped from 4.4-5V to 4V).

For the amount of data that the system is receiving on USB 2.0 for the camera/tracking function, they would need to dedicate it to data stream so power would need to come off a different source. Since USB3.0 is USB2.0 backwards compatible, it would make sense that this is what it's doing.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2010, 08:45:58 PM »

Yeah, but as silly as they sound, such kinnect stuff would get a little use for my family, so Kinnect is somewhat of a success to me. By the way, when is the second MS event? This one was the one with the cirque? Kind of hoping they showed more core games at the other one.

Sony probably has full story+gameplay trailers for the games they've already announced, so far they've really only shown short gameplay snippets for those, not fully produced movie style trailers.  We know it should include LittleBigPlanet 2, Killzone 3, Infamous 2, The Agency, GT5, SOCOM 4, The Last Guardian, and Motorstorm 3. Then there's the maybes, like Resistance 3, Agent, Reday At Dawn's game (twisted metal?), White Knight Chronicles 2, and anything else they have up their sleeves. Yeah, I'm kind of playing up how many core games there are exclusive. slywink

But sadly, it's likely they just got those game reveals out of the way to have room for Move.

Just show me all the LBP2 info they can and I'll be happy. R3 wouldn't hurt either.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2010, 08:46:46 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on June 14, 2010, 08:26:38 PM

As soon as you put an update to your first post I deleted mine, though apparently not quick enough. th'Fool is right, there are some devices that need more power than what a single USB can give. It does seem odd to me that the older version would need a power plug, but that the newer one does not.

Yeah the USB 1.1 and earlier spec could only power simple, low power consumption peripherals such as mice, gamepads, etc. I'm fairly certain the original 360 though has USB 2.0 ports. The reason I say that is I have a flight stick that works on both the 360 and PC, and when connected to Windows it shows all the characteristics of a USB2 device - doesn't require external power, has advanced P'n'P with auto device ID'ing and it holds it's calibration when disconnected. That said it's still possible to have USB2 peripherals that require external power. My guess is that Kinect device requires too much power for the original 360 USB bus and the Slim's bus is better powered, or possibly it has a special USB port that's individually powered for the Kinect.

So would that mean that they were able to reduce power consumption with better parts, but then transferred that savings to a new device? Which then wouldn't that mean that the new 360 is just as likely to red ring as the older one. Granted it got better with Jasper, but still doesn't that fail as well.

It's not the power consumption that caused so much problems in the original, so much as the heat generated by the CPU and GPU which caused their solder mounts to crack on the motherboard. Reducing the size to 45nm for both should have resolved that, provided the new smaller case is well vented - appears that it is. As well, the amount of power required to supply a USB port for even a power hungry device, is still damn minimal when compared to advanced processors.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2010, 08:48:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 14, 2010, 08:30:59 PM

Quote from: Turtle on June 14, 2010, 08:26:45 PM

I thought it was really poor.  Very little for the core games (two of which aren't even exclusive) and the Kinetic stuff just looked like HD Wii stuff which is disappointing considering how much they've talked about how it was going to offer something different for the past year. 

I'll be shocked if Sony and Nintendo don't blow them away.  Sony has already revealed so many new titles in the past few weeks that I'm assuming they've got some really major stuff left for the conference (unless they spend the whole time on Move) and Nintendo should actually have a really exciting conference since 3DS will presumably be there. 

I sort of hope Sony goes on stage tomorrow and goes 'Yeah that Move motion dohickey?  TOTALLY FUCKING KIDDING ON THAT ONE.  Motion controls blow ass.  We just did that to fuck with the other guys.  Here's some awesome games!'

Would never happen, but I'd laugh my balls off.
Andrew Wonser

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2010, 08:49:45 PM »

Right now, I'm underwhelmed. Nothing really grabbed me and said spend $450. As much as I hate Sony for dropping backward com compatibility I'm still leaning towards them as my first step in this generation of gaming. Not that a bunch of press demos has ever swayed me to buy a console yet. But I just want something more than a bunch of shooters and that's the angle Microsoft has been leveraging. Though I will give them kudos for not hamfisting the Kinect device onto Halo Reach, or forcing Epic or Infin er Treyarch to do it with theirs.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2010, 08:50:09 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 14, 2010, 08:45:58 PM

Yeah, but as silly as they sound, such kinnect stuff would get a little use for my family, so Kinnect is somewhat of a success to me. By the way, when is the second MS event? This one was the one with the cirque? Kind of hoping they showed more core games at the other one.

My daughters would love Kinectimals and a few others no doubt.  But I've already got a Wii so I'm not paying $150 (rumored) for a Kinect just for them.  I need to see something that I would personally have some interest in to buy it.  Though my wife might really enjoy the fitness program so that may be the reason we end up buying one.  
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 14, 2010, 08:45:58 PM

pretty sure this was the second one,that circus thing was last night,and will be on MTV tomorrow

EA one is about to start

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2010, 09:03:41 PM »

So they mention an internal swappable hard drive.  Did they finally go the Sony route and make it to where you can put bigger drives in there that aren't over-priced XBox ones?  Anyone hearing anything about this?  I don't see a drive in the picture of that new model.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2010, 09:05:47 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 14, 2010, 09:03:41 PM

So they mention an internal swappable hard drive.  Did they finally go the Sony route and make it to where you can put bigger drives in there that aren't over-priced XBox ones?  Anyone hearing anything about this?  I don't see a drive in the picture of that new model.

you can see it in that gametrailers link i posted(this page or last)...skip to about 2hrs 5 minutes,and they show a lot of it,the back(all the ports and connections) the sides etc..and the little door you take off to get to the HDD which he takes out,its a lot smaller
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:09:00 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2010, 09:08:47 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 14, 2010, 09:05:47 PM

So they mention an internal swappable hard drive.  Did they finally go the Sony route and make it to where you can put bigger drives in there that aren't over-priced XBox ones?  Anyone hearing anything about this?  I don't see a drive in the picture of that new model.

you can see it in that gametrailers link i posted(this page or last)...skip to about 2hrs 5 minutes,and they show a lot of it,the back(all the ports and connections) the sides etc

So it is just the same old XBox hard drive they use?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2010, 09:11:11 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 14, 2010, 09:08:47 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 14, 2010, 09:05:47 PM

you can see it in that gametrailers link i posted(this page or last)...skip to about 2hrs 5 minutes,and they show a lot of it,the back(all the ports and connections) the sides etc

So it is just the same old XBox hard drive they use?

sorry see edit..nope,a lot smaller

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2010, 09:11:59 PM »

this stream is crap on youtube now..had to go to gametrailers,much better
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:16:28 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »

OK cool, looks like Need For Speed is back on right road - pun fully intended.  slywink thumbsup
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2010, 09:18:16 PM »

Someone make sure Leo is sitting down, Dead Space 2 coming up!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2010, 09:19:26 PM »

I guess as someone who's been playing video games for over 25 years, my status as a "core" gamer has morphed into something completely different than the vast majority of people here. I thought the stuff MS showed in their presentation was really exciting. I'm less and less about the whiz-bang, more mature stuff like Halo and Call of Duty and Gears of War and more about the Kinect stuff, especially Kinectimals, because I want to see cool stuff I can play with my family, especially my 6 year old daughter.

It's really interesting reading the reactions of people here and elsewhere in the "hardcore" game press. Lots of disappointment and outright anger, although I don't understand why. It's clear MS, and I assume Sony, are really going for the more casual and family gamer segment with their motion control products. Obviously a response to the Wii, but if they can out-Wii the Wii, then more power to them. I think the whole notion of the full body controller in of itself is pretty exciting.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2010, 09:22:21 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on June 14, 2010, 09:19:26 PM

It's clear MS, and I assume Sony, are really going for the more casual and family gamer segment with their motion control products.

Actually, Sony seems to be doing the sensible thing and is appealing to hardcore gamers with Move by showing off games like Resident Evil 5, Little Big Planet 2 and SOCOM 4, all three of which are Move compatible.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2010, 09:22:32 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 14, 2010, 09:18:16 PM

WOOT!

I can't find a friggen live stream that works though frown
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 14, 2010, 09:25:36 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 14, 2010, 09:22:32 PM

WOOT!

You'll love it - and there is going to be a continuation at the Sony show.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 14, 2010, 09:27:02 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 14, 2010, 09:25:36 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on June 14, 2010, 09:22:32 PM

WOOT!

You'll love it - and there is going to be a continuation at the Sony show.

except for the part he finds out it's Kinect/Move controls only  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 14, 2010, 09:27:44 PM »

Medal of Honor throws down the gauntlet! 24 player MP.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2010, 09:28:07 PM »

Pretty cool way to show it off. I like now much snappier the movement feels. But at the same time, the necromorphs are more varied, tougher, and thus a bit deadlier.

And *gasp* Sony actually properly showing off 3rd party games? It's a strange world we live in now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: