http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 07:48:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DS] Which Pokeman game?  (Read 1911 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2379



View Profile
« on: July 24, 2008, 04:42:23 PM »

Need recommendations for my 7 year old son. He's starting to really get into Pokeman, which I know nothing about. He's going on a trip so I would like to get him a Pokeman DS game for the flights, etc.

Any recommendations?? (I think they have some RPG too, which i'd like to stay away from)
Logged
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11470


hmm...


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 04:47:10 PM »

Why stay away from the RPGs?
Logged
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2379



View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 05:35:06 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 24, 2008, 04:47:10 PM

Why stay away from the RPGs?

Because I don't think he can handle anything too complicated at this point.
Logged
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2379



View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 05:39:15 PM »

I'm researching and it looks like there are different names. Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, etc. Do i just randomly pick one? Should I just take the newest one hoping that it's the most updated? GT, I pick you!
Logged
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4127



View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 05:59:28 PM »

Quote from: Jag on July 24, 2008, 05:39:15 PM

I'm researching and it looks like there are different names. Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, etc. Do i just randomly pick one? Should I just take the newest one hoping that it's the most updated? GT, I pick you!

Diamond and Pearl are the most recent "standard" Pokemon games, Ruby and Emerald are the prior set. Between a set, you cna pretty much pick at random. If he has a friend with pearl, he should get Diamond. If he has a friend with Ruby, he should get emerald, etc. They are complementary for the collect em all people. His friends will be playing the most recent ones, so that would probably impress him the most. On the other hand, Ruby and Emerald would be cheaper. In fact, you should be able to fnid some of the GBA pokemon games even cheaper than the DS games.
Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11470


hmm...


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 06:37:27 PM »

Ruby and Emerald are GBA games; Diamond and Pearl are the only main series ones for the DS.  They're also what I thought Jag meant by 'RPG type' Pokemon games.  They're also also entirely appropriate and perfect for a 7-year-old.
Logged
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1707


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 06:54:53 PM »

What are the differences between the sets of games? I never understood that so pretty much just ignored this whole series of games just for that. Are they totally different RPGs or just different pokemon guys in whatever one you choose?
Logged
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11470


hmm...


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 07:02:48 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on July 24, 2008, 06:54:53 PM

What are the differences between the sets of games? I never understood that so pretty much just ignored this whole series of games just for that. Are they totally different RPGs or just different pokemon guys in whatever one you choose?

The color and gem named ones are all progressive upgrades to the same exact RPG-lite formula the 1996 game had: Small town kid begins with one pokemon and goes on grand adventure to catch and train more pokemon, gain badges by beating gym leaders, and then conquering the "final four" bosses.  Assorted side quests and side activities scattered about.

Then you've got the Mystery Dungeon ones that are roguelikes, the Stadium/Arena games on consoles that just have the battles, and assorted other weird offshoots like the one where you take pictures of them from a mining cart and whatever Pokemon Ranger was supposed to be.
Logged
Eel Snave
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2792



View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 07:32:20 PM »

Yeah, get Pokemon Diamond or Pearl if the price isn't an issue.  It's surprisingly fun, even for me, and the reading is very easy.
Logged
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2379



View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 07:40:23 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 24, 2008, 06:37:27 PM

Ruby and Emerald are GBA games; Diamond and Pearl are the only main series ones for the DS.  They're also what I thought Jag meant by 'RPG type' Pokemon games.  They're also also entirely appropriate and perfect for a 7-year-old.

It was the Roguelike ones I want to stay away from right now. RPG lite is ok, just nothing more complicated ... yet.
Logged
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11470


hmm...


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 07:47:44 PM »

Quote from: Jag on July 24, 2008, 07:40:23 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on July 24, 2008, 06:37:27 PM

Ruby and Emerald are GBA games; Diamond and Pearl are the only main series ones for the DS.  They're also what I thought Jag meant by 'RPG type' Pokemon games.  They're also also entirely appropriate and perfect for a 7-year-old.

It was the Roguelike ones I want to stay away from right now. RPG lite is ok, just nothing more complicated ... yet.

Ah, ok.  Then do what coop said and get either Diamond or Pearl, whichever version his friend doesn't have.

If he starts lamenting that he can't find his favorite Pokemon from the TV show in the game then shoot me a PM.  Not every creature is available in every cartridge, and even then some are really hard to get.  I collected quite a few of them when the game first came out and I'd be happy to breed some of the rare ones to wire to you and your kid if you wanted them. 
Logged
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2379



View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 24, 2008, 07:47:44 PM

If he starts lamenting that he can't find his favorite Pokemon from the TV show in the game then shoot me a PM.  Not every creature is available in every cartridge, and even then some are really hard to get.  I collected quite a few of them when the game first came out and I'd be happy to breed some of the rare ones to wire to you and your kid if you wanted them. 

I have no idea what this means, but thanks  Tongue

He's really first getting into it, with the cards, etc.

Frankly i'm just happy he's showing an interest in something other than sports. Watching sports, watching sports news, reading sports stats and playing sports.
Logged
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11470


hmm...


View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 08:46:56 PM »

Quote from: Jag on July 24, 2008, 08:38:00 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on July 24, 2008, 07:47:44 PM

If he starts lamenting that he can't find his favorite Pokemon from the TV show in the game then shoot me a PM.  Not every creature is available in every cartridge, and even then some are really hard to get.  I collected quite a few of them when the game first came out and I'd be happy to breed some of the rare ones to wire to you and your kid if you wanted them. 

I have no idea what this means, but thanks  :p

lol

If your son really likes any of these pokemon for whatever reason, he can't get them at all in the DS game without trading with someone or importing them from a GBA cartridge.

If he really wants any of these pokemon that are tied to the Pearl/Diamond version he doesn't have, he can't get them without trading.

Since a lot of kids get really tied to their favorites from the TV show or their favorite card or favorite animal or whatever, if there's some he wants but can't get then if I have them you can PM me and we can find a time for me to transfer them to you via the DS wi-fi.
Logged
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 446


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 02:19:23 AM »

Hehe, "breed them and wire them" does sound kinda scary. smile

My concern about Pokemon Diamond/Pearl is that I heard somewhere that the game is highly addictive and should not be played by young kids (my daughter is Cool. Not sure if it's a BS and I haven't played this game myself (yet). What do you guys think?
Logged
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 377



View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 05:54:22 PM »

My 8 year old daughter has the DS Diamond game and I can't say anything but good things about it.  We restrict her time so I don't know how "addictive" it is for her but she only gets to play it a certain amount a day.  She also has Pokemon Ranch for the Wii and loves to transport the Pokemon from the DS to the Wii and back.

The best thing about the game is that it requires (and therefore encourages) a lot of reading.  My daughter's a pretty good reader and likes to read but when she's playing the game, she works her way through all the conversations, sometimes asking about hard words.  She's also doing math without realizing it, as she compares and subtracts the power numbers to figure out matchups, etc. 

Maybe that is me rationalizing her play time but compared to other action-type games, she gets to play, read and add and subtract while having fun.
Logged
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2379



View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 05:59:22 PM »

Quote from: jament on July 25, 2008, 05:54:22 PM

My 8 year old daughter has the DS Diamond game and I can't say anything but good things about it.  We restrict her time so I don't know how "addictive" it is for her but she only gets to play it a certain amount a day.  She also has Pokemon Ranch for the Wii and loves to transport the Pokemon from the DS to the Wii and back.

The best thing about the game is that it requires (and therefore encourages) a lot of reading.  My daughter's a pretty good reader and likes to read but when she's playing the game, she works her way through all the conversations, sometimes asking about hard words.  She's also doing math without realizing it, as she compares and subtracts the power numbers to figure out matchups, etc. 

Maybe that is me rationalizing her play time but compared to other action-type games, she gets to play, read and add and subtract while having fun.

This is why i'm looking into getting it as well. I recognized that from the card games. That it forces kids to read and analyze numbers.
Logged
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7930



View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 07:09:34 PM »

Quote from: Jag on July 25, 2008, 05:59:22 PM

Quote from: jament on July 25, 2008, 05:54:22 PM

My 8 year old daughter has the DS Diamond game and I can't say anything but good things about it.  We restrict her time so I don't know how "addictive" it is for her but she only gets to play it a certain amount a day.  She also has Pokemon Ranch for the Wii and loves to transport the Pokemon from the DS to the Wii and back.

The best thing about the game is that it requires (and therefore encourages) a lot of reading.  My daughter's a pretty good reader and likes to read but when she's playing the game, she works her way through all the conversations, sometimes asking about hard words.  She's also doing math without realizing it, as she compares and subtracts the power numbers to figure out matchups, etc. 

Maybe that is me rationalizing her play time but compared to other action-type games, she gets to play, read and add and subtract while having fun.

This is why i'm looking into getting it as well. I recognized that from the card games. That it forces kids to read and analyze numbers.

I couldn't agree more with what Jament has said here. You needn't look any further than Pearl or Diamond, because those 2 have the most content that will benefit your daugther in the ways he's described. Just make sure she doesn't skip the story dialogs. If my kids start skipping I reduce their playtime with the game. Afterall, you don't need as much playtime if you're not bothering to read the dialog text; amazing how quickly they become thorough readers again.  slywink

BTW For an excellent stocking stuffer for her at XMas, look for a copy of Pokemon Pinball GBA. My 8 yr old daughter will happily sink way too much time into that game. smile
Logged
Jag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2379



View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 12:23:42 PM »

So now he is addicted to Pearl(?) and wants to buy Diamond for his bday. Is this the same exact game? Is it just better to do what Wonderpug said and download the missing Pokeman? Any ideas??
Logged
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4127



View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »

Quote from: Jag on September 27, 2008, 12:23:42 PM

So now he is addicted to Pearl(?) and wants to buy Diamond for his bday. Is this the same exact game? Is it just better to do what Wonderpug said and download the missing Pokeman? Any ideas??

99% the exact same game and from a gameplay perspective not worth having both, on the other hand, it's only money vs your child's happiness.  icon_twisted
Logged

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3633


View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 01:10:44 PM »

Pokemon Diamond is exactly the same game as Pearl: same characters, same plot, same progression through the game.  The only difference is a tiny fraction of different pokemon that appear throughout the game.  Diamond and Pearl aren't really intended to be owned by the same person, but to allow two different players to trade the unique pokemon to each other.

If you own a Wii, your son *might* appreciate Pokemon Battle Revolution instead.  He needs to set his expectations appropriately, though: unlike the Pokemon Colosseum games, Battle Revolution does not have its own adventure mode.  The only purpose in the game would be to allow him to see all of his pokemon battle in full 3D.  $50 seems pretty steep for that which is one of the reasons why it got such poor reviews, but I still think that he'd enjoy it more than buying another copy of the game he's already playing.

Alternatively, if he wouldn't mind a very slight drop in graphical quality, Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald are all excellent GBA games which would be 100% compatible with his DS.  He'd get a completely different adventure, and could even use the system's dual-slots to trade pokemon to and from his DS cartridge!  Obviously the older GBA games won't support the second screen or any touch-screen feedback, but again, I think they'd be a wiser purchase.

Finally, if he's up for a much different sort of adventure, you could consider Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness or Explorers of Time.  These games transform your character into a pokemon (the type is determined by a personality test at the beginning of the game) who then delves into randomly generated dungeons to rescue or arrest other pokemon.  These games are easier than their GBA predecessors, but I don't know if he might be turned off by the different style of gameplay.

-Autistic Angel
Logged
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7930



View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 05:49:45 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 27, 2008, 01:10:44 PM

Alternatively, if he wouldn't mind a very slight drop in graphical quality, Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald are all excellent GBA games which would be 100% compatible with his DS.  He'd get a completely different adventure, and could even use the system's dual-slots to trade pokemon to and from his DS cartridge!  Obviously the older GBA games won't support the second screen or any touch-screen feedback, but again, I think they'd be a wiser purchase.

Don't forget Pokemon Green Leaf and Fire Red for the GBA. My son contends that they're the best  of the Pokemon games that were released for GBA; believe me he's played them all. Afraid it isn't possible to download Diamond or Pearl pokemons to the GBA games, you can only upload. Still it would be worth it for him to be able to upload the GBA pokemons that aren't in Diamond later on.

You might also want to consider Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness for the  Gamecube if you have a Wii. Both are good games and run perfectly on the Wii; you do need a Gamecube controller though.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 06:32:32 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 65 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.017s, 2q)