http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 12:56:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DS] Wario: Master of Disguise... greatest game ever?  (Read 1158 times)
unbreakable
« on: March 15, 2007, 03:55:51 PM »

I've been playing Wario: Master of Disguise for two days, and have to say... this is quite possibly the best game I've played in a long time.

As a platformer, it's extremely fun, and changing disguises really adds a good dimension to the puzzles.  The game also has possibly the best use of the stylus of any game: you are literally playing with one hand on the controls, and the other holding the stylus.  The stylus can be used to change costumes on the fly, as well as aiming your weapons or attacking.  The boss fights especially involve being able to quickly switch costumes, which- thanks to the control setup- is not hard at all.

I'm also laughing at the story.  The dialogue isn't going to win awards, but it's still funny (especially Wario's tagline for his master thief persona: "silent but deadly").  There are also plot twists, so it doesn't just come off as "ho hum, go collect the five MacGuffins to save the universe"... even though you are, essentially, collecting five MacGuffins.  Or, you can just skip through the story and enjoy it as exploring the levels.

Like most Wario games, it revolves around his greedy persuit of treasure.  In this case, he is plundering treasure from chests.  To unlock a chest, you play a minigame.  While the minigames aren't as diverse (or bizarre) as in WarioWare, they are pretty fun, and it's always a nice change of pace.

Then, once you are done with the level, you can view the collection of minigames, and play through them in progressively harder difficulties.

Anyway, if anyone is wondering if this game is good... it is.
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 04:42:11 PM »

Wow, I've heard some .... average things about the game.  Surprised @ your impressions.

Interesting though, I might be interested in it.  I've been craving some platforming goodness on the DS & was thinking of Yoshi's Island.  But maybe I'll look into Wario!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »

I'd heard very blah things too, but I want it to be good.  Anyone else try it?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 05:19:47 PM »

Perhaps it just appeals to my particular tastes.  I was always a huge fan of the old platformers like Mappy or Bagman, where you are running around the levels and various collecting treasures.  It always felt like there was so much explore and discover.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 05:20:48 PM »

Quote from: depward on March 15, 2007, 04:42:11 PM

Wow, I've heard some .... average things about the game.  Surprised @ your impressions.

Interesting though, I might be interested in it.  I've been craving some platforming goodness on the DS & was thinking of Yoshi's Island.  But maybe I'll look into Wario!

I haven't played Wario (yet) but Yoshi's Island is a top-notch platformer and probably a safer bet. (Game Rankings has Wario at 65% and Yoshi's at 82%.)
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 05:44:05 PM »

I checked IGN's review, and the scoring pretty much tells the tale: their score is 6.0, and the average reader ranking is 8.1.

The reviewer also bagged the controls, which I find to be pretty good (assuming you aren't trying to use the stylus with your wang).  The review states that changing disguises should be done with button presses, but IMO cycling through them would be a lot harder than simply remembering the shapes used to switch.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say the reviewer already had the review half written before even playing, and likely played for about 30 minutes while eating lunch.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 10:25:05 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on March 15, 2007, 05:20:48 PM

Quote from: depward on March 15, 2007, 04:42:11 PM

I haven't played Wario (yet) but Yoshi's Island is a top-notch platformer and probably a safer bet. (Game Rankings has Wario at 65% and Yoshi's at 82%.)

The only downfall of Yoshi's Island 2 is that it gets insanely hard in the latter stages.  I really wanted Wario, but stayed away due to the low opinions.  I would be willing to give it a try if it was actually pretty decent.  Can you give more details, unbreakable, as to why you like it so much?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 02:51:16 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 15, 2007, 04:56:37 PM

I'd heard very blah things too, but I want it to be good.  Anyone else try it?

Yup, but only into the second episode so far.
Great-lookng game. The graphics are bright and crisp.
I like the costume-switching mechanics and the powers on the different suits.
There is some nice interactivity in the environments (e.g. objects to shoot, etc).
The story is sound and there's some decent humor as noted already.

I'd say that if there's a weak point it's that the mini-games aren't very interesting,
but they aren't the central feature here. I'm not entirely certain the gameplay has the legs
to keep me playing through the finish (rare for me), but I've definitely enjoyed it so far
and I would have played it more if not for the fact I've been very busy at work the last couple
of weeks trying to figure out how to run my own store for the fiirst time.

Re: costume switching, it works pretty well, but sometimes there's a bit of a trick.
For instance, I find that cosmic wario recognition is MUCH better if you don't
complete the loop when drawing his helmet.

If you like the sound of a platformer with more of a puzzle focus then
I think this is definitely worth a shot. I find myself more and more in disagreement
with reviews lately. Another recent example is the really well done Diddy Kong Racing
which got lousy reviews and deserved much better.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 02:53:39 AM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 03:41:59 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 16, 2007, 02:51:16 AM

Another recent example is the really well done Diddy Kong Racing

I was thinking the same thing until I got to the first trace race (or whatever it's really called).  The third boss race where you have to draw a line over a top-down perspective to get your racer to follow.  Feels like it should be like Kirby Canvas Curse, but it's not.  It's virtually unplayable.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 01:43:38 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 16, 2007, 03:41:59 AM

Quote from: Misguided on March 16, 2007, 02:51:16 AM

Another recent example is the really well done Diddy Kong Racing

I was thinking the same thing until I got to the first trace race (or whatever it's really called).  The third boss race where you have to draw a line over a top-down perspective to get your racer to follow.  Feels like it should be like Kirby Canvas Curse, but it's not.  It's virtually unplayable.

Agreed, but it's also entirely optional AFAIK, so while it's a definite head scratcher, I don't think it justifies awful scores.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 05:37:21 PM »

I think the biggest thing I can say negative is that sometimes the levels are confusing, and finding everything can involve a lot of backtracking.  But that can be said about just about any platformer of this type.  And yeah, I would have liked to have seen a broader range of mini-games: by the third level, you have seen all the basic forms of them, and are simply getting more of the same, but as mentioned, the mini games are fun enough, and are just a small part the game (I view it as kind of an occasional change of pace).

If you enjoy platformer games, especially something like "The Lost Vikings", it's pretty likely you will enjoy yourself.  I've found a lot of the puzzles challenging, and sometimes getting around the levels requires creative uses of multiple costumes.  The boss fights can be really fun as well, especially the higher levels: I just finished level 6, and I still haven't unlocked all the costumes or leveled them all up, so there are still a bunch of new abilities ahead of me.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 01:17:29 PM »

I played this a bit on my flight to Ottawa and I really liked it.  It isn't quite a traditional platformer and that might set some people off.  I thought the controls were done well and I like the puzzle solving aspect of the game.  I am only on the seconde level, so maybe it gets boring, but I have no issues with the backtracking or anything like that.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 03:37:41 PM »

Played a demo of it @ Gamestop & enjoyed it.  Dunno if I want to plunk down some CASHMONEY for it, but we'll see.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 02:51:00 AM »

I am now onto the 5th level and I absolutely love this game.  I went and read the IGN review to see why they scored it only a 6.  They complained about the drawming mechanism, but I have had absolutely zero problems with it.  The boss in the 4th zone require decent switching between the costumes and I had no issues doing so.  The only complaint I feel is justified is that the mini games are kind of lame.  It would be nice if they had like 50 or so to rotate through, but there are only a few and the only I ever have trouble with is the tracing one.  Honestly, that is my only complaint and  while I recgonize this isn't a 9+ game by any means, I would give it a score somewhere in the 8s based on what I have played.  Figuring out the puzzles to get those out-of-the-way treasure chests have been great and I even managed a snicker or two out of the mostly juvenile plot (what did you expect with a Wario game, though?).  I have also enjoyed the variety in the levels.  Anyone who can't stand kiddy should definitely stay away and even those who don't mind it might want to wait for it to come down in price (like I have been doing forever for Super Princess Peach), but I think some of you out there would really enjoy it.

unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 04:23:42 AM »

I'm at the ending right now.  So far, have been having quite a bit of fun with the title.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 03:28:37 PM »

I picked this up based solely on this forum, and I'm enjoying it, though I have yet to get through the first level.  I have had a couple of issues drawing disguises (Wario will bash instead of letting me draw a circle), but I think that'll change once I get used to where I need to draw (don't draw the circle on the head, though that's what I want to do). 

My bigger complaint is that I keep going to the boss without the ability I need to defeat him, and there's no way to leave.  I just have to get the stuffing beat out of me or start over at the save point.  But really, should I be allowed up there without whatever the star mode is?   That kind of level design makes me nervous for that rest of the game (Of course, it's entirely possible that I've missed something, and I do have the power to beat him, but it doesn't seem that way).

Still, I do see the potential here and look forward to playing it more.

EDIT TO ADD: And it is entirely possible.  I read a FAQ and saw that I have everything I need.  Not sure why I'm seeing a star icon as a hint, but no matter.  I was actually doing what I'm supposed to do in the battle, but I couldn't tell I was hurting him.

Back to liking this game more now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 04:30:39 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: