http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 10:49:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DS] Two New RPGs from Square- One is FFXII Spinoff  (Read 1406 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2006, 03:35:41 PM »

Latest Famitsu reveals two new Nintendo DS RPGs from Square.  One is a FFXII spinoff that supposedly takes place after FFXII.  The other is a modern day RPG that is a new IP.  Don't know much else yet (and there aren't any screenshots of the FFXII game).  Scan here.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 04:20:52 PM »

And we can expect them when?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 04:22:30 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 13, 2006, 04:20:52 PM

And we can expect them when?

Almost certainly next year in Japan.  Hopefully in the US next year too.
Orpheo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 05:22:45 PM »

Why do they continue with these spinoffs?  Have they made a good one yet?  FFX-2 was asstacular even compared to FFX, that FF7 action game isn't getting good reviews, both movies kind of bit...
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 05:58:05 PM »

Quote from: Orpheo on September 13, 2006, 05:22:45 PM

Why do they continue with these spinoffs?  Have they made a good one yet?  FFX-2 was asstacular even compared to FFX, that FF7 action game isn't getting good reviews, both movies kind of bit...

<anal>
FFX-2 is a sequel, not a spinoff.
</anal>

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 06:34:46 PM »

Quote from: Orpheo on September 13, 2006, 05:22:45 PM

To a degree FFXII is a spinoff itself- it shares the same world as Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.  And while I'm probably in the minority, I really enjoyed the Kingdom Hearts spinoff Chain of Memories. 
Luminescent Pubes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 06:37:44 PM »

FF12 is the same world as Tactics?  I thought it was just Tactics Advance.

Gamertag: omg nintendo64
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 06:40:38 PM »

Quote from: Luminescent Pubes on September 13, 2006, 06:37:44 PM

FF12 is the same world as Tactics?  I thought it was just Tactics Advance.

Yes, Ivalice.  Though I believe the events of Tactics are "ancient history" in the time of FFXII. 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 06:50:14 PM »

saw this as a rumor in the latest EGM interesting news indeed.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 07:18:08 PM »

RPGamer has some details on these games, plus Heroes of Mana, a strategy-RPG set in the Mana universe, and Kingdom Hearts 2 : Final Mix, which looks to be a combination of KH2 and Chain of Memories.  KH2 will probably be Japan-only, but the rest should hit the US.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 07:50:22 PM »

Can't beat all the DS love that Square is throwing Nintendo's way. I wonder why they've chosen it over the PSP, and the only thing I can think of is that some of these lesser know titles by them can be developed for less and be more profitable on the DS versus the PSP.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 07:58:02 PM »

I wonder why they've chosen it over the PSP, and the only thing I can think of is that some of these lesser know titles by them can be developed for less and be more profitable on the DS versus the PSP

$$$$

Japan is still SE's bread and butter (especially Dragon Quest and stuff like the Mana games which don't hold nearly as much sway in Western markets) and the DS's domination there makes it pretty much a no brainer which platform to support, which has only been further affirmed with FF3's 500k first week sales and subsequent sellouts. 

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 10:54:21 PM »

AllRPG has some details on these new games.  According to them, Wonderful World is an action-RPG using the touch screen, Heroes of Mana is an RTS/RPG hybrid, and the FFXII game is a strategy RPG in the vein of FF Tactics.  All three are for the DS.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 12:08:17 AM »

Sounds awesome.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 12:44:19 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 13, 2006, 10:54:21 PM

AllRPG has some details on these new games.  According to them, Wonderful World is an action-RPG using the touch screen, Heroes of Mana is an RTS/RPG hybrid, and the FFXII game is a strategy RPG in the vein of FF Tactics.  All three are for the DS.

that settles it! - i'm starting my own "ds killed the gameboy color" thread now!...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 12:55:19 PM »

...and the FFXII game is a strategy RPG in the vein of FF Tactics.

Should I just start drooling now?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 03:18:08 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 16, 2006, 12:55:19 PM

...and the FFXII game is a strategy RPG in the vein of FF Tactics.

Should I just start drooling now?

this is going to be good. 

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 12:22:56 AM »

There are some scans with screenshots for Heroes of Mana here.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 02:33:21 PM »

Adding to the SE love for the DS- Front Mission the First, enhanced version of the PS1 port of Super Famicom original, was just announced today.  Alas, since it looks like we aren't getting the supposedly pretty damn good FM5 here, we might not get the DS game either  :icon_sad:
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 02:52:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 20, 2006, 02:33:21 PM

Adding to the SE love for the DS- Front Mission the First, enhanced version of the PS1 port of Super Famicom original, was just announced today.  Alas, since it looks like we aren't getting the supposedly pretty damn good FM5 here, we might not get the DS game either  :icon_sad:

That makes me a sad pirate kitty.  I'll have to go get drunk on rum now.  icon_frown

I was a huge fan of Front Mission 3.  I snagged FM4 on release day, but it was different enough and a slow enough start without much complexity so I got bored.  Tried it again recently and forced myself to get further, and fortunately I did because the game really improves drastically after about the first two hours.  I hate that the first two hours suck so hard, because that's quite a shame.  However, since then it's been a blast.

From what I've read, FM5 is better than either 3 or 4, which means I would absolutely go nuts on that game.  So it's disappointing that it still shows no signs of being brought over for a Western release.  icon_frown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 02:57:51 PM »

It's pretty bizarre too, since Square localizes even more obscure things like the SAGA series here.  Kinda hoping that Ubisoft or someone else picks it up, but we are nearing a year since the Japanese release of FM5, so its looking pretty doubtful. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: