http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 09:05:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DS] Thirteen upcoming games to watch...  (Read 1914 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2005, 02:56:01 AM »

I blatantly ripped the following off of Shacknews, so all opinions etc. do not represent those of this poster.  Namely, I would have put ANIMAL CROSSING in all caps in some annoying color.

Anyways, worth a look for DS owners:

----------------snip-----------------------------------------------
So I was looking around Nintendo's website and came across this list of DS games and was blown away. This system is going to have some kick ass games come out this year and later on down the line. Just check out this amazing list:

A Boy and His Blob DS - Q4 2005 - I loved the original NES game where you fed the blob jellybeans to make him change into different objects. I don't know how I missed this one at E3, but I'm sad I did. This time there's going to be 15 different jellybeans and 15 different levels. Plus, the game looks great.
http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=94f43d12-49c2-43dc-8e0e-991323b06c06&

Animal Crossing DS - Q4 2005 - I doubt I really have to explain this game much, but if you liked the GameCube's Animal Crossing, then this is going to be insane. Playable online and with a portable system. Can't go wrong.
http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=cd055a64-9a87-421e-8a00-cf13feb0569a&

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - Q4 2005 - This game looks like another great portable Castlevania game. The movie that's on that website looks fantastic. From what I remember at E3, this game was quite fun as well.
http://www.konami.com/gs/gameinfo.php?id=15

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - TBA - A completely new Crystal Chronicles for the DS. If this is anywhere near the quality of the GameCube version, it will be awesome. I'm sure they'll fix some of the major complaints of that version as well. It might even be able to hook into the Revolution's FF:CC that's being made. I can't wait.
http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=6fc90f7e-b5ac-486e-963a-bc857b817388&

Guilty Gear Dust Strikers - Q4 2005 - Up to 4 players at once while battling over two screens and with 21 different characters to choose from. The DS needs a good fighting game, and this one might be it. I know that Guilty Gears X2 was fairly good, so hopefully this one will follow in its footsteps.
http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=63b9ed28-4472-4284-937a-dbfb75c53963&

Mario and Luigi 2 - Q4 2005 - The original Mario and Luigi was on the GBA and was 20 hours of pure fun. This one doesn't look to be anything less of the same. It'll definitely be something I'm going to pick up this season.
http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=c6e9969e-692f-47e1-b82a-8b765cc42fe5&

Mario Kart DS - Q4 2005 - I don't think I even need to explain the greatness of this game. Mario Kart. Online play. Portable. 30 courses. Fan-fucking-tastic.
http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=5e3e5dba-3044-4c95-b037-da682d56864b&

Metroid Prime Hunters - Q4 2005 - Some may not have liked the demo that came with the DS, but from what I've heard it's been completely overhauled. The demo was a hackjob that needed to be pushed out as fast as possible to accomidate the release of the DS. I really think this game has the potential to be great. At least something to watch for.
http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=06538594-faae-4099-9b2d-c18a91353902

New Super Mario Bros. - TBA - This was one of the games that most excited me at E3. I've been waiting for a new Super Mario game ever since Super Mario World came out. It looks like I won't have to wait much longer. The multiplayer was a blast, and the single player looks nothing short of wonderful. One of my most anticipated games by far.
http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=ad5a45fd-b1c2-403c-970a-9e3ffa35a5b8&

Nintendogs - Aug 22, 2005 - This game may not be your cup of tea, but I still think it's going to be a good game. It's one of the reasons that the DS is doing so well in Japan. I think it'll bring in a lot of gamers to the DS that wouldn't normally play a shooter or rpg. At least something to watch.
http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=0d8421b7-6c97-48d5-95f1-f11a16bac6a4

Sonic Rush - Q3 2005 - I thought that this game looked good at E3, but I really don't remember that much about it. I'm hoping that it'll have some of the greatness that original series did way back in the day. I have hope for this one.
http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=sonicrush&id=sonicrush_hp_sp

TMNT 3: Mutant Nightmare - Fall 2005 - I can always use a great Turtles beatemup. 50 stages, four player, abilities that evolve. It just sounds great. I've been waiting for another good TMNT game since way back in the nes days.
http://www.konami.com/gs/gameinfo.php?id=153&pid=8

Trauma Center: Under the Knife - Winter 2005 - I remember a game way back in the day that was called Life or Death that allowed you to be a doctor and try to help patients. You would operate on them and, using the right tools, would save their life. This game looks pretty similar and may not be most people's type of game, but it looks fun to me.
http://www.atlus.com/trauma_center

Also to note, there's apparently a Secret of Mana game that might be tentatively titled World of Mana in the works. I hope it's more like the SNES game than the GBA game as that one kind of sucked. The SNES one though, is one of my all time favorite games.

I have to mention this game, even though it's for the GBA and not the DS specifically (the DS can play it too, of course).

Rebelstar Tactical Command - September 2005 - This is by the guys who made the original X-Com. Turn based sci-fi rpg. So much greatness. It's going to be awesome.
http://namco.com/games/rebelstar/

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 03:10:18 AM »

I'm looking forward to a lot of those games . . . namely Nintendogs.  TheMissingLink and I went to an EB Games and the clerk told us that Nintendogs was only for girls.  Then I proudly exclaimed, "I'm getting it on day 1."

Animal Crossing is going to rock.

Final Fantasy I hope is good.

Guilty Gear seems interesting.  The Xbox game(s) are just too . . . crazy for me to play.  But I enjoyed watching my brother play when he did.

Trauma Center I've always kept my eye on.  Seems kinda fun!

Nice list there!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 03:15:06 AM »

The only one I'm really worried about is Metroid.  I loved the demo, but according to those who saw it at E3 not much has changed.  The single player looks to be almost nonexistant, and since it *won't* support WiFi play the audience for this game is going to be pretty limited...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 03:15:42 AM »

I just got my DS and I couldn't be happier.  It's a very cool system, plays all the GBA games and I can take it anywhere.

One game you forgot which is coming out in the next month or two is Advance Wars: Dual Strike.  Although I'm not sure about the "real-time" part of the gameplay.  Anyone know more about that?
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 03:32:16 AM »

There's a review of Advance Wars in this month's EGM... lemme go dig it up...

Ok so it got a 9.0, 8.5, 9.0 meaning they like it.  No realtime as far as I can tell - same turn based game with 6 new units, a bunch of new CO powers (including new ones that can be earned w/ XP), the ability to swap out COs, and the ability to control armies on two  different fronts (one on each screen).

Still, looks like a winner.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 04:13:25 AM »

There's also Final Fantasy 3 and Lunar : Dragon Song.

"Also to note, there's apparently a Secret of Mana game that might be tentatively titled World of Mana in the works."
From what I understand, SquareEnix announced at their party event that "World of Mana" is the collective name for a group of games across many platforms that will relaunch the "Mana" series.  Presumably, the DS will be one of the platforms.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 06:56:11 AM »

I'm passing on Advance Wars for the time being...Fire Emblem and Makai Kingdom are taking up all my srpg time as of right now.

Nintendogs is going to RULE.

Animal Crossing DS is one of the reasons I purchased my DS.

The Crystal Chronicles game could be tons of fun.

Battling over two screens in Guilty Gear?  Sounds cool.

Mario Kart DS?  So totally in.

MAN the future looks bright for the DS.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 10:40:30 AM »

There's also Lost in Blue, which looks really innovative.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 01:00:16 PM »

There is also this lil device:
http://www.m3adapter.com/

Looks like movies and music for you DS owners.  Nice of you to catch up with us PSP folk. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 01:17:53 PM »

I am excited about Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

It just sounds great.  A game where you get to try to figure out what happened in a crime, get to examine evidence and get to trap the witness in a lie!  It sounds different enough to be great!

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 01:26:52 PM »

My DS is kicking my PSP's butt in time I spend with it.  

I'm sure I'll pick up Nintendogs and Animal Crossing.  Trauma Center sounds intriguing.  I can imagine it could be like the board game Operation.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 05:41:22 PM »

Burnout Legends is also coming to the DS in November.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 07:12:45 PM »

I have Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Meteos.  I don't think I'll ever need to buy another game.  slywink

Seriously though, there are some exciting things on the horizon for the DS.  I'm sure I'll pick up FF3, Lunar, Advance Wars DS, Castlevania, and FF:  Crystal Chronicles, and we've also got Xenosaga and Baiten Kaitos games in the works as well.  Trauma Center looks quirky enough that it might be worth a shot.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Farscryold
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 09:33:16 PM »

Hey, Dimmona, I had that Life or Death game, my first pc game ever back on a Tandy 16-color system with no hard drive.  We had to upgrade the system memory to play it, needed to be something like 128KB or something along that line.   :wink:  I played the heck out of that thing, drove me nuts because I never could manage to get an appendix safely removed.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 10:42:23 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
One game you forgot which is coming out in the next month or two is Advance Wars: Dual Strike.  Although I'm not sure about the "real-time" part of the gameplay.  Anyone know more about that?
You're thinking of the GameCube version, something that I refer to as a "monstrosity."  

The lawyer game, surgery game, and Advance Wars will probably push me over the DS edge at some point, even though I am already resigned to hate it.  I hate its unwieldy design, it's awkward looks, and most of all hate that people push things like Nintendogs in my face as reason to buy it, so that makes me hate that I actually want one because I played the shit out of Life & Death 1 AND 2 from good ol' Spectrum Holobyte back in the day.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2005, 11:03:22 PM »

Is FF3 for the DS Final Fantasy 3, or is it Final Fantasy 6 (aka, 3 in the USA?)

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 12:44:05 AM »

It's the Japanese Final Fantasy 3, and assuming it comes to the States, will finally complete the main-line FF series in the US.  SquareEnix announced it a while ago, but haven't really said much about it since.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2005, 06:57:02 PM »

I'm thinking Nintendogs is going to be like Animal Crossing on the GCN was: a cute looking game that ends up sucking you in and consuming your every waking moment.

My daughter is really jazzed about it, and even my wife has expressed interest after she heard one of the choices was a Beagle.

Looks like this one's gonna be coming to my house real soon.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2005, 07:39:10 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Quote from: "warning"
You're thinking of the GameCube version, something that I refer to as a "monstrosity."

According to Gamespot:
We had a chance to get a hands-on demo of Advance Wars DS from the Nintendo booth at E3 2005, and here are our first impressions of the game in action, including a look at the new real-time battle mode in which you can go head-to-head against the computer or another player.

The aspect of the game that Nintendo is pushing is definitely this new battle mode, which is the unique addition for the DS version of Advance Wars. Although it's visually similar to the standard turn-based battling of the older games, the real-time play seems to be, well, faster paced and more frenetic than the standard gameplay mode.

That's where I got the real-time part.  It kinda has me worried.
pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2005, 08:17:01 PM »

Quote from: "PaulBot"
My daughter is really jazzed about it

So is mine - her birthday (and her brothers) are the end of the month and I'm upgrading their SPs (she was on the fence until I showed her the E3 movies).

We've been negotiating which version to get - for me, it's the King Charles Spaniel smile so I need to get her one of the others.

Has anyone seen pictures of all the US breeds posted anywhere?

Chris.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2005, 09:56:34 PM »

Don't forget that you can eventually buy all of the puppies in from all versions in all versions.

Warning, that's the first I've heard of a real time mode, EGM's review doesn't even mention it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 02:54:28 AM »

Quote from: "pricecs"
We've been negotiating which version to get - for me, it's the King Charles Spaniel smile so I need to get her one of the others.

Has anyone seen pictures of all the US breeds posted anywhere?

Chris.

I'm going for the Spaniel as well!

And if you go to the official Nintendogs site - Nintendogs Official Site - and put your mouse on the three graphics of the three different versions of the game, then the breeds and a picture of them will pop up.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2005, 05:43:10 AM »

"One game you forgot which is coming out in the next month or two is Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Although I'm not sure about the "real-time" part of the gameplay. Anyone know more about that?"

There's a preview at 1Up that explains the new real-time action mode in the game.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2005, 03:09:55 PM »

I'm not comfortable with my sexuality enough to enjoy Nintendogs.

Actually, I tried the demo in Wal-Mart and it just didn't do anything for me.  Guess I'm too jaded.  Or not jaded enough.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2005, 04:01:42 AM »

I finally found the playable demo for Nintendogs...it sure was cute.  I had all of 'em jumping rope biggrin

It has that cute factor, but I hope there's lots of stuff to collect/things to do.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: