http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 02:58:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DS] Portrait of Ruin soon!  (Read 841 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2006, 03:11:53 PM »

Oh man, like I needed more games to have to buy.  Now the latest Castlevania title is coming out next month.  I still pull out Dawn of Sorrow and try to defeat the boss mode just for grins.  *thud*  too...many...games........fun...overload.  (And I haven't even had a chance to think about Contact or Touch Detectives yet)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 03:55:59 PM »

The reviews for Touch Detective aren't very good.  http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/932719.asp

Even the good one doesn't seem to like it much in the summation.

Contact, on the other hand, is great

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 04:12:25 PM »

I'm really looking forward to Portrait of Ruin.  I'm a Castlevania newb... and I absolutely loved Dawn of Sorrow.  EB/Gamestop is offering a pretty cool bonus too - a 25 anniversary bonus that includes a stylus, soundtrack, and some other things.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 08:05:46 PM »

I want. I also want all the other goodies that come with it.

Preorder +1.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 09:21:26 PM »

I wonder if the stylus is for the DS Phat or the DS Lite.  Hopefully the latter.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 03:53:04 AM »

In ALL the way, even without the killer preorder bonus (most interested in the CD).

I'm tempted to try Touch Detective in spite of the reviews.

Let you guys in on something....
I've got Children of Mana. Just hit the first save point. I've got the day off tomorrow, so I'm hoping to play some more and post some impressions, possibly for Magical Starsign as well.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 05:31:08 AM »

I put in 13 hours of Children of Mana and came away disappointed.  Would like to hear your impressions though   icon_biggrin

siege

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 05:54:10 AM »

A lot of the upcoming DS games have been getting harsh reviews, but I'm still looking forward to them. Touch Detective, Magical Starsign, Children of Mana, and Contact are all in the 70% or lower range.  :icon_sad:
depward

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 06:07:42 AM »

Yeah, not to derail this thread about the wonderful, wonderful Portrait of Ruin, but Touch Detective is a game I'll probably just get anyway because it's Atlus and I support their work.  Children of Mana is a straight up dungeon crawler/hack-n-slash, and Magical Starsign has been getting poorish reviews.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 01:02:57 PM »

See, that's just the thing. That's the problem with so many reviews lately. Reviewers in many cases are scoring games not on the merits of the games themselves, but on either what the reviewer wanted or how a particular game innovates vs other titles. But who cares if the game is fun? Enchanted Arms is a great example. A game I enjoyed the heck out of through to the end but got lousy scores.

I used to recommend Game Informer on the basis of the strength of the reviews, but lately they tanked, IMO and I wont do that anymore (still worth it for other reasons, but I'm really annoyed about the reviews). They gave pokemon mystery dungeon a 3, and it's clear from the text that the reviewer hates the mystery dungeon franchise, so why in the heck is he reviewing this game. Meanwhile NBA Live gets a 7.5 --blink blink--

Back to Portrait of Ruin, I imagine it'll score quite well. The graphics like they're going to be a nice improvement from DoS and seems that they're going to be adding some nice wrinkles to the gameplay.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 01:32:05 PM »

By the way, I saw a larger picture of the stylus and it is for the DS Lite.  Definitely IN!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 01:33:37 PM »

Quote from: depward on October 25, 2006, 05:31:08 AM

I put in 13 hours of Children of Mana and came away disappointed.  Would like to hear your impressions though   icon_biggrin

Pretty impressive IMHO as according to EB/Gamestop, the game isn't due out until next week. I have seen it in 'other' places though...  icon_wink icon_lol

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 01:52:09 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 25, 2006, 01:33:37 PM

Pretty impressive IMHO as according to EB/Gamestop, the game isn't due out until next week. I have seen it in 'other' places though...  icon_wink icon_lol

Depward imported it a while back.  He posted some impressions way back when. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 02:11:06 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 25, 2006, 01:33:37 PM

Pretty impressive IMHO as according to EB/Gamestop, the game isn't due out until next week.

Correct. These came straight from Nintendo.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 02:58:25 PM »

from what i've gathered, it sounds a lot like crystal chronicles ( thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup) to me - not nearly as much fun solo as playing with someone (which, in my case, will be my wife). i've been looking forward to it, &, unless it's really awful, i'll likely be playing com before getting into ffxii...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: