http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 02:14:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [ds] Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan (quite possibly my GOTY!)  (Read 4898 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2006, 02:42:17 PM »

BTW, is that the same RSG that was used as an opening theme on Fullmetal Alchemist?
How many difficulty levels are there total?
I'm getting a lot of Cs so far..and that's on easy  saywhat

Ruining language with my terrible words.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2006, 02:58:37 PM »

There's 4 difficulty levels in all.  Easy, Normal, and Hard have the same sidekicks with a different middle guy, and Insane is a female cheerleading squad from America.

And don't worry about getting Cs on easy, this is very much a game that you get better and better at the more you play.  I remember thinking Hard difficulty was ridiculously fast, but now that I've been working on completing Insane, the Hard levels almost seem lazily slow in comparison.

And Kevin, keep on trying Ready Steady Go!   Normal RSG is much harder than most of the Hard difficulty levels.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2006, 03:05:02 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 14, 2006, 02:42:17 PM

BTW, is that the same RSG that was used as an opening theme on Fullmetal Alchemist?

Indeed it is.  What's funny is that the songs in Ouendan are covers so that, since my first exposure to the song was the game and only since then have I been watching FMA, I prefer the Ouenden "version" to the original. 

Quote from: wonderpug
And Kevin, keep on trying Ready Steady Go!   Normal RSG is much harder than most of the Hard difficulty levels.

That's what I figured since it was the same with moving from Easy RSG to the most of the songs on Normal. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2006, 03:50:29 PM »

Random translations/culture references for the heck of it:

In the Mayor Election level, the two candidates reach out their hands to three voters and each time the three voters point at their faces.  In Japan, when people point to themselves they point to their noses, whereas in America we point to our chests.

In the fight with the Giant Blue Mouse, the mouse is not trying to get an autograph from the salaryman.  The paper that the mouse is holding says "Giant Blue Mouse" on it, it's his business card.  In Japan, the exchange of business cards is very important.  You present your card with both hands (like the mouse is so politely doing) and the other person presents his in return.  The salaryman isn't searching for a pen, he's looking for his stash of cards so he can give one in return. 

In the Ghost love story, when he's typing on the keyboard he's typing something like, "About that time before, I'm sorry.  I love you."  Which makes the whole thing even sadder

MATSURI?  Those American tourists are excited to see a matsuri, or festival, which happen all over Japan in the summer and are known for their elaborate hand carried floats.  I didn't know that they raced the floats, but Ouendan knows better than I do.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, feel free to ask any "what the heck are those characters doing/saying?!" questions, but it's hard/impossible for me to figure out anything other than the katakana and hiragana.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2006, 04:29:37 PM »

It took me about 2-3 months to get past RSG on normal.

Seriously, yeah, I'd try it for a day, give up for a week or so, and then get a little better at it.  Amazing how that works out.

Fucking stupid Elite Beat Agents.  Music's gonna suck, it *will not* have the charm that Ouendan has, I can guarantee that.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2006, 04:46:25 PM »

You do realize that Elite Beat Agents isn't the same game, right? It has all-new scenarios.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2006, 05:20:23 PM »

Right, he's saying it's going to suck because it won't have catchy J-pop, or as much of the quirky Japanese humor and style. 

Even if it's not going to be as charming as the original, I'm just happy to see more and more of the odd-ball JP games being ported over to the States. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2006, 05:29:44 PM »

I'll reserve judgetment on EBA- it's from the same devs as Ouendan so I'll certainly be giving it a try.  And I can't understand anyone cursing it like TML did either- it's not like it is somehow supplanting Ouendan.  At best we get a worthy sequel, and at worst we still have the original so it's prett much win-win. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2006, 07:03:24 PM »

TML and I have chatted about this.  To me, I just don't think I would enjoy EBA as much as I did with Ouendan.  I know, different game and all... but the characters look dumb.  The 'scenerio's don't look as, I don't know, 'interesting' as Ouendan's scenerios.  I don't think I'll enjoy the music (i.e. Ricky Martin) as much as Ouendan's.

And frankly, if EBA just has different scenerios and music I won't like as much as Ouendan's, than why should I buy it?  Since I've played the hell out of Ouendan already, I'll most likely breeze through EBA.  And I won't have the ambition to play a Ricky Martin song with those dumb-looking agent characters.

Those are just my (judgemental) thoughts...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2006, 07:14:27 PM »

Quote from: depward on August 14, 2006, 07:03:24 PM

TML and I have chatted about this.  To me, I just don't think I would enjoy EBA as much as I did with Ouendan.  I know, different game and all... but the characters look dumb.  The 'scenerio's don't look as, I don't know, 'interesting' as Ouendan's scenerios.  I don't think I'll enjoy the music (i.e. Ricky Martin) as much as Ouendan's.

And frankly, if EBA just has different scenerios and music I won't like as much as Ouendan's, than why should I buy it?  Since I've played the hell out of Ouendan already, I'll most likely breeze through EBA.  And I won't have the ambition to play a Ricky Martin song with those dumb-looking agent characters.

Those are just my (judgemental) thoughts...

Of course you don't have to buy it.  But haven't you have enjoyed a sequel to something that was still quite good even if it wasn't at the level of the original?  If you are burned out on the game then, yeah, buying EBA doesn't really make sense, but for those of us who just want more then I don't see the issue.

But I was reacting more to TML's "fuck EBA" stuff which really doesn't make any sense.  It's not like we are getting EBA instead of Ouendan 2- Ouendan sold horribly in Japan (especially for a DS game) so that something like EBA even exists is a testament to the postive word of mouth from importers. 

And, honestly, I think there is a bit of elitism (not really the right word but close) involved.  For most of us importers, the music is fresh, new and different, the scenarios take on a whole charm of their own since we can't actually understand the language and some of the cultural references so we add our own spin, etc. EBA is, to us, closer to how the Japanese would see Ouendan- top hits that most are familiar with and cultural references that are less bizarre and more light comedy. 

Hell, maybe EBA will become an import sensation in Japan now smile
depward

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2006, 07:23:00 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 14, 2006, 07:14:27 PM

Hell, maybe EBA will become an import sensation in Japan now smile
Hey, wouldn't that be extremely weird . . .  icon_biggrin

No Kevin, I totally understand what you're getting at.  A big part of why so many North Americans like Ouendan (I'm willing to bet) is because of it's Japanese culture.  We're intrigued, charmed, and like it.  I'm sure that's why it has gotten such high praise from us importers.

You know . . . that quoted sentence could possibly come true.  I wouldn't exactly rule that out . . .

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2006, 02:44:43 AM »

Where did the Ricki martin thing come from?
Is that just a hypothetical example?
I hadn't realized the game wasn't big in Japan.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2006, 02:57:32 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 15, 2006, 02:44:43 AM

Where did the Ricki martin thing come from?
Is that just a hypothetical example?
I hadn't realized the game wasn't big in Japan.

Supposedly, La Vida Loca (or whatever it's called) is one of the tracks in Elite Beat Agents though I don't think it's ever been confirmed.  I do know that it wasn't one of the two playable tracks at E3. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2006, 03:51:25 AM »

wow...fired the game up after I got home from work (and played a bit of touch panic).
It's totally kicking my butt. I kep feeling like my touch screen isn't registering taps, but I know I just must be off slightly. I had to replay the restaurant opening a couple of times and now the one with the sculptor and the (gym teacher?) are completely thrashing me. I have the day off tomorrow, so perhaps a fresh start in the AM.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2006, 05:15:56 AM »

Quoted song listing from Gamespot:

Steriogram - Walkie Talkie Man
Deep Purple - Highway Star
Eve 6 - Inside Out
Ricky Martin - Livin' la Vida Loca
Savage Garden - Truly, Madly, Deeply
Weird Al Yankovic - Hardware Store
Linkin Park - In the End
The Offspring - Hit That
Queens of the Stone Age - Go With the Flow
Kylie Minogue - Locomotion
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
Barenaked Ladies - One Week

I just don't like those songs, aside from Kylie.  I mean, Savage Garden?  Bad taste in ME MOUTH.

You'll get better Misguided.  It's honestly where you'll start playing... and start hitting all of the notes all of a sudden... and things will just click for ya.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2006, 05:30:06 AM »

Quote from: depward on August 15, 2006, 05:15:56 AM

Steriogram - Walkie Talkie Man
Deep Purple - Highway Star
Eve 6 - Inside Out
Ricky Martin - Livin' la Vida Loca
Savage Garden - Truly, Madly, Deeply
Weird Al Yankovic - Hardware Store
Linkin Park - In the End
The Offspring - Hit That
Queens of the Stone Age - Go With the Flow
Kylie Minogue - Locomotion
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
Barenaked Ladies - One Week

I just don't like those songs, aside from Kylie.  I mean, Savage Garden?  Bad taste in ME MOUTH.

You'll get better Misguided.  It's honestly where you'll start playing... and start hitting all of the notes all of a sudden... and things will just click for ya.

Wait, it has Savage Garden and TML doesnt want it?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2006, 05:53:34 AM »

Hey now, that was an infatuation in high school.  I don't even know WHY.

Man, hrmm, that is one nasty playlist.  The charm of Ouendan was that I was playing songs that were FUN, songs I HADN'T passed judgement on before; playing "In The End", a song I've heard a million and two times already, just won't produce that same feeling.  Because in Ouendan, I learned the song.  I've heard this music before, so that new type of discovery is gone. 

I don't know.  I'm just bitter.  I've passed judgement on many of these songs, and while the thought of playing Eve 6's "Inside Out" makes me shudder and pout, I'm sure that *if* I do decide to grab the game, it'll probably be nearly as fun as Ouendan, just because of the quirky stories and addictive gameplay.

Don't mind me about the whole EBA thing, though, I'm just pissy.  I would *MUCH* rather have O!T!O2 with more j-pop than EBA, but I'll have to accept this as it is.

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2006, 06:17:54 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 15, 2006, 05:53:34 AM

Hey now, that was an infatuation in high school.  I don't even know WHY.

Man, hrmm, that is one nasty playlist.  The charm of Ouendan was that I was playing songs that were FUN, songs I HADN'T passed judgement on before; playing "In The End", a song I've heard a million and two times already, just won't produce that same feeling.  Because in Ouendan, I learned the song.  I've heard this music before, so that new type of discovery is gone. 

I don't know.  I'm just bitter.  I've passed judgement on many of these songs, and while the thought of playing Eve 6's "Inside Out" makes me shudder and pout, I'm sure that *if* I do decide to grab the game, it'll probably be nearly as fun as Ouendan, just because of the quirky stories and addictive gameplay.

Don't mind me about the whole EBA thing, though, I'm just pissy.  I would *MUCH* rather have O!T!O2 with more j-pop than EBA, but I'll have to accept this as it is.

It reminds me of what they have done with Lumines 2.  Bastards.   thumbsdown finger

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2006, 12:18:13 PM »

Quote from: depward on August 15, 2006, 05:15:56 AM

I couldn't find that on GS's spot but I do know that Wired's Chris Kohler stated that the list was fake when it was posted on GAF.  Has it since been confirmed? 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2006, 03:43:45 PM »

Heh. You guys were right. I just got past the two I mentioned from last night, and even managed to squeak by with a B on the sculptor's scenario (only the second one I've gotten).

The darned spinning disc is just killing me....I did manage a 6000 bonus on it once, so maybe there's hope for me yet  :slywink:

At any rate, while I like the quirkiness of the game and the j-pop, I like the gameplay itself as well. I have EBA reserved and at this point absolutely intend to pick it up on day 1.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2006, 04:29:25 PM »

A buddy brought this over today. While I think the game is kinda stupid, it is the best and most addicting stupid game I have played.

Good show.  thumbsup

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2006, 10:19:02 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on August 15, 2006, 05:30:06 AM

Wait, it has Savage Garden and TML doesnt want it?

Oh please do tell.  This is amazing stuff.  Suddenly his music threads are making sense.

I like Sweet Child O' Mine.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2006, 12:00:49 AM »

"NOA_KENT: the song list is still up in the air, not quite finalized.
NOA_KENT: But the songs they're considering are very good. I, myself, am a huge fan of Walkie Talkie Man"

That quote comes from Kent Miller, who is beginning work on the EBA website for Nintendo.

Ok, it's official, I'm an unbelievably huge geek.
After about a half dozen tries (the first quickie spin in the second segment kept throwing me off) I made it through Ready, Steady, Go on easy. I was pumping my fist and about jumped out of my chair I was so excited  saywhat Man that was brutal, and that's considering I've heard the song 50+ times. I got a "B" which is the highest mark I've attained on any level.

Actually, I was surprised I didn't get an A on one scenario. My favorite song apart from RSG was probably Over the Distance (the one with the ghost). On my second or third try, I only had one miss and still only managed a "B". Incidentally, I'm REALLY glad that my order came with some screen protectors, as I didn't have any before (can't get the ones I (HORI) like locally since the EB/Gamestop merger).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 03:20:46 AM by Misguided » Logged

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2006, 01:34:27 PM »

Just found this vid of EBA on youtube. Sorry, I don't buy this won't be every bit as sick and twisted as the original.
There are vids of the walkie-talkie man scenario too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:43:31 PM by Misguided » Logged

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2006, 10:46:21 PM »

attn: tml!

you need to check this out...

quendan! - it's not just a game...

(link fixed!)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 11:41:39 AM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2006, 11:28:51 PM »

MGS Portable Ops trailer in an OUENDAN THREAD!?

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2006, 11:37:20 PM »

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2006, 04:14:28 AM »

d'oh!...

try this...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: