http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 01:51:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DS] Nintendog impressions (yes I'm turning in my man-card)  (Read 5348 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2005, 12:24:51 AM »

So yeah, I picked up Nintendogs today (hard to pass up when its free).  I've only gotten to spend about 30 minutes with it, but so far it's kinda fun.  More so than any other game, this title feels tailored for the DS.  The animation is incredible (especially for a DS game), the voice recognition is a fun gimmick, and to my suprise the Bark mode is kind of cool too - in the 15 minutes I carried my DS around in my pocket at work today it already contacted one other owner and I got a free gift.  I'll post more impressions when I dig a little bit deeper, but so far this looks like a fun little throwaway title.

For what it's worth, the EB I picked it up at was selling them faster than the clerk could unpack them - I smell a huge hit for Nintendo stateside...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 12:59:04 AM »

My Eb said you couldn't get one in their Richmond Stores without Pre-order, to me that smells of poor ordering and product distribution via EBgames. Gamestop had them, but had poor trade in offers. I'm sitting on 40 bucks in credit at Eb and will definately be getting at least one version of Dogs, once the wife and I try it out for a week or so we'll probably grab a second copy.

Dimmona, can you have more than one profile or owner per cart? I was hoping we'd both get a chance to have our own dogs on the same cart for a while.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 01:17:46 AM »

Don't worry - you turned in your man-card already when you put up that crazy happy face up as your icon. biggrin  :roll:

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 01:41:00 AM »

Should be getting it tomorrow - can't wait!

TheMissingLink on PSN
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 02:10:50 AM »

Picked this up tonight, and it is fun and HORRIBLY cute.

As far as I can tell you can NOT have more than one "profile" per cart. You can (eventually, when you earn enough $) have 3 dogs in the house at a time and store 5 more at the "Dog Hotel". (Not sure how much the hotel costs.)

The EB I went to tonight was already sold out. I got mine at Circuit City.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 02:31:13 AM »

Kids are playing it non stop.  They are begging for an additional Nintendo DS so that each of them can have their own pet.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 03:02:41 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Don't worry - you turned in your man-card already when you put up that crazy happy face up as your icon. biggrin  :roll:

HAHA!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 03:06:46 AM »

My 3 year old daughter loves the game! smile

I think it is pretty interesting, but I bought it mainly for her...since she loved to play the "puppy game" whenever we went to Wal-Mart or Gamestop and they had it on display.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 03:28:49 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
For what it's worth, the EB I picked it up at was selling them faster than the clerk could unpack them - I smell a huge hit for Nintendo stateside...

Yeah I was at Fry's picking up Advance Wars DS and there were lots of people picking up Nintendogs.  I also went to three EBs looking for Riviera and all of them were sold out and still had a lot of calling or walking in asking about it.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 03:29:28 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Just because I want to have sex with Shiggy, you somehow think I'm gay?

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 05:15:06 AM »

I played for a bit. Good fun so far, that`s fore sure. I was kinda bummed that theres only one profile...but, the wife and I just get our own dogs. At least that`s possible. Super great animation on the dogs. A very fun title indeed!
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 05:36:24 AM »

aside from not picking up doggie-poo, what does the game bring to the table that a regular dog wouldnt?  From the little Ive seen/read about it, you just play with a virtual dog.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 06:09:58 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
aside from not picking up doggie-poo, what does the game bring to the table that a regular dog wouldnt?  From the little Ive seen/read about it, you just play with a virtual dog.

When I get sick of a puppy, I no longer have to drive to the beach and throw him into the ocean - I can just turn off my DS.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 12:34:13 PM »

I made the mistake of naming my black lab after my real black lab and every time I'd yell at the DS Dog, the real one would listen.

That may have been a bad choice... :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 01:28:20 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"

When I get sick of a puppy, I no longer have to drive to the beach and throw him into the ocean - I can just turn off my DS.
Yeah, but you have to charge the DS, which equates to more downtime than tying the puppy up and throwing him out into the ocean.

Plus I live on the coast, so it's really a short drive.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 01:50:19 PM »

The game is utterly cute and adorable.  And for the single guys out there, it quite possibly might get female attention. slywink
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 02:10:34 PM »

And, actually, you do have to pick up doggie-poo, though I guess it doesn't smell.  Or at least, not until the Revolution's controller comes out with its exclusive gyroscopic-3D-scent feature.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005, 04:19:17 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
The game is utterly cute and adorable.  And for the single guys out there, it quite possibly might get female attention. slywink
Gay guys get plenty of female attention too.  So try fondling up your best buddy in front of some chicks.  It just might work!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2005, 08:07:48 PM »

Bought two copies with the intentions of trying one out and then if we like it opening the other.

It seems this game will be in short supply all holiday season, to a degree. More than likely Nintendo's own doing, who knows.

You can't even get Dachshund version around here.

Eitherway, I was playing for all of 5 minutes and the wife was opening her copy to play. It will be neat to train the dog and win competitions. I'm going to train my intial puppy and then hold out for some of the other dogs to be unlocked.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005, 08:43:01 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"

When people get desperate enough to run the Chiuahuaha version out of stock, then I'll believe there's a supply problem.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2005, 08:49:07 PM »

Actually, the dachshund version has a great choice of dogs, despite the weak choice for cover pooch.  It's the one I went with (partly because we had a scruffy Shih Tzu, but also because the Siberian Husky rocks.  The Golden Retreiver is a hugely popular dog, too, not to mention the pug.  And you get the beagle, which you can name Snoopy if you want.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2005, 08:49:53 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Bought two copies with the intentions of trying one out and then if we like it opening the other.

It seems this game will be in short supply all holiday season, to a degree. More than likely Nintendo's own doing, who knows.

Eitherway, I was playing for all of 5 minutes and the wife was opening her copy to play. It will be neat to train the dog and win competitions. I'm going to train my intial puppy and then hold out for some of the other dogs to be unlocked.

This is fun? Maybe this is why I didn't understand Animal Crossing.
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2005, 09:32:06 PM »

don't you get the same dogs with each? you just start out with different ones?

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2005, 11:24:39 PM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"

All three versions have all 18 breeds in there, it's just that only 6 are unlocked initially.

So anyways, anybody figure out wth you're supposed to do about your dog's piss?  I can scoop the poop just fine, but whenever he takes a leak I see a 'pool' show up on the minimap and to my suprise *it freaking stays on the map* even when I played hours later.

I guess it gives me a nice way of tracking all of things my dog has peed on....

Also, how do you get your little mongrel to be more obedient?  I've taught him a couple of tricks (sit, spin, shake, jump), but I have to shout it out 10 times before he finally gets a clue.  Beating him senseless with the stylus, while fun, doesn't seem to help either.

Here's hoping I can unlock a baseball bat in the game...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2005, 11:36:01 PM »

I am going to restart and name my dog something simple, so that it's easier to talk to. I think it just takes time and a lot of repetition to teach the dog.

Rage, think Black and White(the game) with all the neat AI and things to teach your god avatar animal and get rid of the weak strategy game and stupid plot devices and you get what Nintendogs is about. It's just an easy way to kill an hour when you don't want heavy objective based gaming, a lot like Animal Crossing, it's just a different feeling.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2005, 02:10:39 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

When people get desperate enough to run the Chiuahuaha version out of stock, then I'll believe there's a supply problem.

I bought the Chiuahuaha version. I wanted a shelty like I had as a kid! My shelty Ally is ridiculously cute. This is defintiely the most soothing, therapeutic game ever.

For those looking for a specific version, try Circuit City. Mine had all 3 versions in ample supply and is in the same shopping center as an EB that was sold out.

-John

ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2005, 02:29:03 AM »

Hey guys, do you think Nintendogs is worth getting a DS for?
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2005, 02:31:15 AM »

Quote from: "weleavefossils"

All three versions have all 18 breeds in there, it's just that only 6 are unlocked initially.

So anyways, anybody figure out wth you're supposed to do about your dog's piss?  I can scoop the poop just fine, but whenever he takes a leak I see a 'pool' show up on the minimap and to my suprise *it freaking stays on the map* even when I played hours later.

I guess it gives me a nice way of tracking all of things my dog has peed on....

Also, how do you get your little mongrel to be more obedient?  I've taught him a couple of tricks (sit, spin, shake, jump), but I have to shout it out 10 times before he finally gets a clue.  Beating him senseless with the stylus, while fun, doesn't seem to help either.

Here's hoping I can unlock a baseball bat in the game...

From what I can figure out, the pee-spots are spots the puppy remembers later.  It's his territory, just like with a real dog.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2005, 06:10:49 AM »

This thread makes me think that Nintendo is doing just fine.
And it makes me glad. I hope the Revolution does this well.

PSN ID: EduardoX
depward

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2005, 06:15:43 PM »

Been playing it for a couple of days now and I'm really enjoying it!  It isn't an "intensive" game where you really need to have to sit down and think about it when playing.  Just power it on, throw the frisbee a bit with my spanial Lady, go out on a walk, do this and that, and that's it.  Just a fun little time-waster.

Is it worth getting a DS for?  Eh.  I don't think so.  If there are other games, though, you're interested in the future (and have some GBA games you're interested in playing) Nintendogs will be a fun addition to your library.

A couple of questions - my doggie does well with commands.  Call her name once and BOOM she's running to me.  She also does "Shake", "Sit", "Lie Down", "Roll Over" very well as well.  But when I went into an obedience contest APPARENTLY my definiton of "lie down" wasn't the exact definition of what I should have done in the contest.  That bugs me.  But oh well.

So hey, that wasn't a question.  But this is - what is the little "drawing bone" I sometimes get after petting my dog?  I can then grab it and drag it so my doggie eats it.  What the heck is that about?!

Oh, and the pee spots I have no clue about either.

Fun game!  I'm enjoying it!  Does it have that "staying power?"  I'm not too sure it does.  Is it a fun game to power on to play a bit everyday?  Definately.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2005, 07:36:45 PM »

Can you starve the dog and beat it from when it's a puppy to steadily turn it into a killing machine?

Actually, knowing how the Japanese don't pull the punches when it comes to sim games, (like that Princess Maker series, you could turn your daughter or princess or whatever into a whore if you really neglected her), I wouldnt' be surprised if that was really an option.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2005, 08:35:35 PM »

I'm enjoying the game so far.  I usually spend more time than I intend to when I pick it up to play.  It doesn't always respond to my trick commands after it's learned the trick, but maybe it takes more time or I went too close to the mic.

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Can you starve the dog and beat it from when it's a puppy to steadily turn it into a killing machine?

I had some similar thoughts.  What happens if I don't feed or give any water to my puppy? I couldn't do that!   It would be realistic to have it die, but I doubt that happens.  

I get a laugh from the line in the manual, "If your puppy poops while on a walk, be sure to touch the poop to scoop it up!"  
Touching poop never sounds good, even from a touch screen.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2005, 08:49:15 PM »

I am sadistic, I thought about doing those things, but when I came face to face with my little puppy I couldnt do it.  They are just too darn cute!

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2005, 10:27:54 PM »

I am enjoying my time with it so far.  My pug Corky is awesome.  He's so cool biggrin  Now I want a *real* pug really really bad!!

The puddles stay on the screen...why is that?  Should I steer Corky clear of these areas or what?  Don't really get that.

And sometimes I'll see presents while I'm walking Corky and it won't be on the top map, and I'll be tapping the shit out of the presents but nothing will happen...what's up with that!?

It's the perfect pickup and play for 15 minutes at a time.  So like, 2-3 times a day (perfect for a break in-between classes and I JUST KNOW a girl's gonna come up and get with me for playing it *WINK*) feels just fine.

Starting to get more and more unique of items.  Hope I can get some other music or something eventually.

Those two commentators are silly.

Nintendogs isn't revolutionary or anything, but it'll be enough to tide me over on "pet sims" or whatever till Animal Crossing DS comes out.

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2005, 01:35:42 AM »

you can get those presents by pulling back on the leash as you walk by them.  Then your face-smashed snot blower will go back to the present and pick it up.  The word Pug really needs an "ly" on the end of it.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2005, 01:59:11 AM »

Went to the Mall tour today and they had a bunch of kiosks of this set up and it was pretty much impossible to play the demo.

What was great was the 30 or so people who had their DS's and their games and everyone was in Bark Mode. Me and my wife got about 4 new breeds and  it was neat to hear people's messages and read their profiles. Deifnately the best part of the game is meeting other dogs.

Some girl had a black schnauzer with a spiked collar, and it just looked cool. This game will/is definately a hit with the everyone crowd, and I saw kids talking to each other that you'd never think would be. Kind of neat as well.

Also, this game has only gotten more enjoyable. Sure it's really only for a good 20 to 30 minutes here and there, but I just trained my Dog in agility drills and she smoked the competition. It was very cool.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2005, 09:31:55 PM »

Just thought I'd update this thread with some more impressions:

Still having fun with this stellar game.  Is it revolutionary?  In some ways yes.  From an interactivity point of view, it's pretty slick with the ability to use voice commands and so on.  Furthermore, the interactivity aspect makes me really connect more with my dog Lady.  She's a Cavalier Spanial.  And I feel bad if I don't power on right when I get up in the morning and feed her and take her for a walk.  I know, I'm lame, but hey!  It's true!

Maybe it's because of my breed, but my dog still hasn't learned the jump command.  In fact, when she does his little bum-waggle, which is an indicator to tap above her head so she jumps, she might do it 1 out of 10 times.  Maybe it's due to breed and the kind of dog I have.  Or personality.  Who knows.

My brother, Gatorfavre and his wife and I all got together and had our Nintendogs interact together several nights ago.  Unfortunately, you can only interact 1-on-1, which is slightly disappointing.  But I could REALLY see how each dog had his or her own personality.  My dog is pretty mellow.  And she is pretty shy with toys and such (though, it is HILARIOUS to see a balloon pop in her face after playing with it for a bit).  The other dogs were most definately not as mellow and laid back as mine . . . in fact (I forgot whose it was) one dog was INSANE.

So still having a lot of fun with Nintendogs.  I want to hopefully build a high-enough cash stash to purchase a new place (preferably the $5,000 place) though, I doubt it really does anything to the actual experience other than a change of scenery.  But, for the price-point and for the new experience of really interacting with a game, it's well-worth it.  Go pick it up if you haven't!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2005, 11:33:00 PM »

Gator I have the Cavalier KC too, and she won't jump either, however we destroyed the competition in both obedience and agility, and she's come on quick with Disc. I think the more physical aspect are our breeds strong points though.

Jumping and begging she won't do, and other tricks too longer to stick, so I may focus on Disc and Agility.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2005, 11:42:02 PM »

My shelty can do a back flip! She is awesome! smile

-John

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2005, 02:40:12 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
My brother, Gatorfavre and his wife and I all got together and had our Nintendogs interact together several nights ago.
Kinky!

I think I'll wait for Nintendogs II: Thunderdome, where you not only feed, water, and love your puppy, but lead him into glorious combat in post-apocalyptic, dog-on-dog pitfights to the death.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: