http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 06:14:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DS] Meteos and Kirby - 2 impressions for the price of 1  (Read 2637 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2005, 05:56:26 AM »

Wow, two sets of actual impressions in the first post on the first page of a thread?  What's next - Republicans and Democrats saying nice things to each other?  Rage and Nintendo saying nice things to each other?

At any rate, on to the impressions....

Meteos
Quick summary: Best DS game yet - wth are you waiting for go buy it!!

I picked up both Kirby and Meteos yesterday afternoon, and once I popped Meteos in I proceeded to play it nonstop for the next 4 1/2 hours - if my battery hadn't died I would probably have played it even longer.  If you're not familar with the basic concept of this puzzle game, both the IGN and Gamespot video reviews do a pretty good job explaining it.  Basically you manipulate   various colored blocks to turn them into rockets, and launch them to the top of the screen.  Once they hit the top, they turn into 'bullets' that are used to attack your opponent.  Each planet you face off with has varying degrees of gravity, different looking blocks, etc.  It's another one of those quick to learn, impossible to put down types of puzzle concepts that will keep you coming back for more.  It also helps that it's a unique concept and not another Tetris type of clone.

So what makes this better than any other puzzle game out there?  Quite simply, the amount of depth and attention to presentation they've put into this puzzle game is astounding.  This line from the IGN review summarizes it best:
The game's production has this uncanny Super Smash Bros. feeling, which can be attributed to the designer of Meteos, Masahiro Sakurai, who was also responsible for the original N64 fighter during his days at Hal. Meteos is the designer's first puzzle game, but it features the same attention to interface to Smash Bros.

Some of the things I've noticed so far along these lines:
- Lavishly designed menus with a great interface for navigating them
- Full stat tracking
- Tons of single player gametypes, each of which is extremely customizable.  Heck, there are even three different 'story modes', two of which also feature multiple branching (and something like 11 unique endings).
- Detailed backgrounds, tons of great music + sound effects
- Playable credit sequence
- Tons of different planets to find and play through
- Tons of multiplayer game types.  Not only does it support the ability to download multiplayer games to another DS that doesn't have the cartridge, it also has the ability to download a seperate single player demo for your friends to try out.
- Awesome looking FMV intro
- Tons of unlockables - music, planet backgrounds, etc.
- Fusion room lets you create new planets, items, music, rare metals, etc.

The only downside I've seen so far is that it's impossible to put down.  I think that's it's not only the best game out there on the DS right now, but the first real 'must have' game for the system.

Kirby
Because of my Meteos addiction I was only able to play Kirby for about 2 hours (I'm on world 3), but so far I've liked what I've seen.  It definitly feels like a much more fleshed out version of Yoshi's Touch-N-Go, although I had a hard time adjusting to this game from Yoshi initially (it took me a while to get used to Kirby sticking to the lines).

The thing I like about Kirby is that it definitly has that Tony Hawk 'open ended' feeling to it - there are infinite ways to guide Kirby through the level, and what seems like an unlimited amount of secrets/combos to be discovered.  There's definitly a lot of game here too; there are multiple challenges/gametypes for each single player level, and you can use the medals earned from all of those games to unlock all sorts of various stuff.  I like the fact that the game does a Pictochat ping in the background in the off chance that someone wants to chat with you while you are playing.

Graphically, the game has a very interesting watercolor look to its characters and backgrounds.  Some of the backgrounds are very sharp looking, while the characters themselves could be a little more detailed.

Overall, a strong game that plays up to the strengths of the DS' capabilities - if you already have Meteos and are looking for a second game to pick up, then Kirby might be a winner.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 07:37:54 AM »

Kirby is tons of fun - I'll second that.  I actually bought a DS a couple of days before that came out just for that game (and Meteos!) and I think it's an AWESOME game.

Picked up Meteos today as well and I echo your thoughts.  It's really good . . . really really good.  I am very impressed.  The puzzle dynamic is higher than other puzzle games due to the varying "gravity" levels that the different worlds have.  Plus a pretty (if not pretty rediculous) entertaining story is intertwined in the gameplay, which is neat.  It took me a bit to start looking horizontally for combinations instead of vertically (though, when you get three like-colored tiles vertically, sometimes that comlumn just flies away), but I soon got into the hang of things.

Good stuff!  It does have a Super Smash Bros. sort of feel, even with how some of the menus look.  It takes the non-gameplay aspects of SSBM (such as the unlockables and stat tracking) and plugs them into this game, which I like.

So, like you Dimmona, I'm enjoying both games immensely.  Go pick them both up!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 11:44:34 AM »

I picked up Kirby last weekend - I was going out of town and wanted something new.

All I can say is that this type of game is exactly what the DS is about - I'm having a blast. The whole mechanic of drawing lines to direct Kirby is very intuitive - the later levels have me scribbling like a deranged cartoonist on crack  biggrin

Meteos is this weekend - unless I can find it in downtown Chicago before my flight home today :wink:
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 02:48:37 PM »

We'll have a review of Meteos up within the next 7 days. biggrin
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 04:49:39 AM »

Update: Meteos still rules :-)

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 05:25:00 AM »

Ok, I think I need just one more game as tempting as Meteos to come out and I'll finally give in and buy a DS.  Advance Wars in August maybe?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 05:46:16 AM »

Nintendogs.  That's all you need to know.

Believe me, I thought it was the gayest thing ever...but after hearing they had a pug version available and looking at some videos, it looks cool as HELL!

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 05:58:12 AM »

I still don't get Nintendogs, is it just a really really good version of the Dogz PC games?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 08:08:59 AM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
I still don't get Nintendogs, is it just a really really good version of the Dogz PC games?

I don't know about that, but think of it as a 21st century answer to tamagotchis.  Some of the gameplay videos look neat, like when you walk the dog or throw a frisbee to him/her, that sort of thing.  And the whole microphone voice recognition thing is a pretty nifty addition.  I agree that it looks quite fun and I'll be purchasing a copy when it comes out.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 02:05:53 PM »

Just picked up Meteos last night and what a great little game.  The only drawback is that it can get a little stressfull.  

I have kirby and suggest that people buy both they are very very good games that you will have a blast playing.

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 02:09:47 PM »

Is Kirby anything like Yoshi: Touch and Go? My wifes addicted to Yoshi, so I've been very tempted to get Kirby for her. Is is cute? She loves that.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 02:46:40 PM »

Is anyone else finding Meteos just goes into a you-can't-win level of difficulty after 3-4 minutes?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 03:35:35 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Is anyone else finding Meteos just goes into a you-can't-win level of difficulty after 3-4 minutes?

Actually, I'm finding it the opposite.  For the Star Trip, I've already defeated Meteos on straight, branched and the other one.  I'm finding it too easy - on the default difficulty level.  What difficulty are you playing at LE?

Another question - is that it for the story mode?  Am I missing something with the Star Trip modes?

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 04:18:40 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
Is Kirby anything like Yoshi: Touch and Go? My wifes addicted to Yoshi, so I've been very tempted to get Kirby for her. Is is cute? She loves that.

It is veyr similar to Yoshi, except that it goes above and beyond Yoshi in that there is level progression and bosses and such.  Much more like a platform game than just an arcade game.  Cute doesn't even begin to decribe the game. smile

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 07:34:22 PM »

Bastards!!! :wink:  I must buy one of these now. I wanted to avoid it, but thanks guys, I`m gonna get kirby! I`m thinking since I already have lumines, that`s enough puzzle for me for right now.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2005, 07:42:29 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Actually, I'm finding it the opposite.  For the Star Trip, I've already defeated Meteos on straight, branched and the other one.  I'm finding it too easy - on the default difficulty level.  What difficulty are you playing at LE?

Another question - is that it for the story mode?  Am I missing something with the Star Trip modes?
I find the adventure mode easy, except when it comes to one of the obscure goals like launching charred Meteos.  What I find near impossible is surviving for more than three minutes in 'Deluge' or 'Simple' mode.  The Meteos just fall way too fast, and it's next to impossible to get it all under control before anihilation.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 09:31:31 PM »

Meteos is already one of the best games I've ever played on any platform and this Kirby isn't far behind. I'm having a hard time putting it down when I have time to play and I'm thinking about playing when I can't!

Add these two to an already solid, far underrated lineup, plus what's on the horizon through out the rest of the year, and it's hard to believe true gamers would have something to complain about on a DS. I love my PC gaming and I adore my Gamecube, but the majority of my gaming time has been on my DS since I purchased it in April. That's not including the instant improvements it made to my existing Game Boy library.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 11:47:36 PM »

Meteos and Kirby are two of the best games released this year on any system!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2005, 01:17:14 PM »

I tried to hold out, but I can't.  I'm going to buy Meteos later today.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2005, 06:37:10 PM »

Looks like I will also be getting this game today, it is time to trade in my PSP games since I havent played any of them for about a month and a half.  Funny thing though, the psp is still getting a lot of play time...  gotta love Zelda games on the PSP  :wink:

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2005, 05:16:14 PM »

So I finally picked up Meteos.  Let me start off by saying controlling a puzzle game with the stylus is awesome.  The game is fun, and the idea is interesting.  Like others have said this game's menus have a strange resemblence to Super Smash Bros.  The music however, reminds me of Star Fox.  Anyway, the game is fun but doesnt feel as deep as Lumines.  It seems like there is less strategy in this game and I really wish it had something like the puzzle mode in Lumines.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2005, 12:37:47 AM »

Oh, there's definitely strategy in it.  Stuff like figuring out which planets favor wide launches vs. vertical launches vs. secondary launches.  I had an a-ha! moment when I figured out the multiple uses for flinging individual blocks at the bottoms of already launched blocks, since you can either use the individuals to nudge a launched bunch hovering near the top over the edge, or can use them to complete chains for secondary launches.  I'm absolutely loving it.  I just need to figure out strategy for the multiplayer stuff.

Also, I can manage to get to the almost six minute mark on simple or deluge on some of the planets, but on others, the speed picks up way too fast.  I kinda like the stress.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2005, 02:19:10 AM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
I had an a-ha! moment when I figured out the multiple uses for flinging individual blocks at the bottoms of already launched blocks, since you can either use the individuals to nudge a launched bunch hovering near the top over the edge, or can use them to complete chains for secondary launches.

I recently had that a-ha! moment as well biggrin  At first I was like, what's the good in flinging blocks up? (Since Dep told me it was useful)  Then I started fooling around with it and man, that is fun as hell biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2005, 05:31:23 AM »

I grabbed Kirby thanks to you guys :evil: . It always happens, I read about it, and I want it... :wink: . Great game. I simply love it. I really echo everyone`s opinions about it.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2005, 05:33:53 AM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
I grabbed Kirby thanks to you guys :evil: . It always happens, I read about it, and I want it... :wink: . Great game. I simply love it. I really echo everyone`s opinions about it.

And thus your destiny to join the Pink side has been completed young Harpua.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2005, 06:23:16 AM »

I just got done beating Kirby for the first time.  It took me a pretty long time because of all the other games I'm playing (Meteos, Super Mario, Golden Sun...) and how whenever I completed a stage on the main game I would have to get all the medals in the Rainbow Run mode.

But the end boss was pretty neat!  I must say, I was very much impressed with the whole game in the way it was utilized for the DS.  There's more to do with the game in fact . . . so I'm not done with it yet, not in the least . . .

Meteos is still really great.  I think it has more depth and more strategy than Lumines personally.  I didn't like how I could just do the "survival strat" in Lumines and that's it and have to play for like, an hour and a half to get a score.  Meteos is challenging in different ways.  They're both puzzlers - both great puzzlers in fact - and it's nice to see that puzzle games still are a great deviant from the normal dominant adventure/RPG/platform games.

I really enjoy playing Meteo.  It really does seem like a true "boss battle."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: