http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 10:27:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DS] Jagged Alliance impressions  (Read 660 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2009, 09:04:32 PM »

Picked this up this afternoon. Thirty plus page manual, fairly beefy for a DS game I imagine.

I haven't played the original JA in years but recently did get some time in on JA2. It had more bells and whistles so I'm might be getting confused over things I think are missing but just were never in the original JA on the PC.

You start off the game getting the back story on this little island that's now under the control of some bad guys, all except one sector, sector 60, where you have to go to help the good guys out. You contact the mercenary organization A.I.M. to hire folks. You *don't* get your own character in the game, but I don't remember if that was the same in JA1 or just in JA2.

After hiring in your folks you get to equip them with the stuff they brought plus some stuff you have laying around the local sector. Then you got into the tactical map proper.

Control is by either a cursor controlled by the D-pad plus the "A" key to initial actions, or (far easier) using the stylus. Tapping once does one thing, tap and hold brings up a menu, double tap does something else. The shoulder buttons swap the overview map and the tactical map between the top and bottom screens. There's also an inventory screen and options screen.

I played through a couple of days with three mercenaries. The manual is pretty small compared to what I remember, but you do need to read it because there's a lot of functions that may not be obvious when you play.

Shooting isn't too hard. You click the bottom of the touch screen on the guy's weapon which brings up a menu of which shot type you want, fast, normal or precise. Then you click on the target. You scroll the map with D-pad and you have the option to also active screen scrolling by tap and hold on the tactical map borders.

Gun reloading is automatic. Didn't figure that out for awhile!

Overall after an  hour I can say that I'm not unhappy. I keep thinking some features might be missing, but it might just be a JA1 versus JA2 thing. Otherwise it really does seem to be Jagged Alliance on the DS. That's a good thing. Maybe X-Com can be next?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
KC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:17:59 PM »

Thanks for being the guniea pig!  How are the graphics?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 10:32:39 PM »

Finally some impressions! 

Does it feel like you can see enough of the terrain with the zoom level they give you?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 11:34:25 PM »

I have just been playing Chinatown Wars on the DS and the graphics are comparable. You can see enough of the terrain to play without a problem, since you also have an overview map on the other screen. When the developers decided to maintain enough of the tactical map in the window to be playable it resulted in your mercenaries being pretty much indistinguishable from one another in the near overhead view, but you can jump from one to another by pressing the "select" button.

Since you can scroll the map with the +Control, those of you who are right-handed will find it easy to use the stylus in the other hand to do things. Us lefties just have to switch between those controls, but again after playing for awhile it becomes second nature.

Item dropped on the ground or in open crates can be seen, but can't be uniquely identified till you tap or click on them. Back in the bad old days of 1994 screen resolution this was the case as well as I remember. Again, it's not really a problem after playing for awhile.

People who have become accustomed to JA2 or later games of this genre may be off-put by the simpler and less refined game play. However, as a DS game it's got a lot more content than you probably see in the majority of other DS games.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 03:43:04 PM »

Well? Any more impressions, or has anybody else picked this up?
I hadn't had the chance to hit an EB yet, but will do so this week.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 06:38:38 PM »

I'm also waiting for more impressions and the inevitable price drop to $19.99
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 07:00:43 PM »

I've played it a while more and don't really have more to add than what I posted. It's Jagged Alliance, but on the DS. Controls are a bit unusual, but you get used to them. Honestly, once you've played JA2, the original seems rather limited. I'd only get this game if you have a hankering for turned based squad combat but want, for some odd reason, to play it on the DS.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: