http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 01:39:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DS] Is is just me, or...  (Read 1207 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2005, 11:50:21 AM »

1.  ...is the DS the most uncomfortable handheld in the world?  Maybe it's just my hand size, but after 10 minutes with the DS my hands start to cramp up something fierce.  I literally have to take a break every 30 minutes or so just to be able to keep playing.

2.  ...is the top screen on the DS (the GBA screen) smaller than the one on the GBA SP?  Maybe it's just that the unit itself is bigger, but it seems like the DS screen is so much smaller.

3.  ...does the DS feel like a cheaply made piece of junk?  It's functionally fine, but it just feels so cheap.  The PSP had a bit of weight to it, and everything on it just felt solid.  I feel like something is going to break on the DS every time I pick it up.

Don't get me wrong, I love the unit so far.  But some of these things kinda bug me.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 01:07:44 PM »

I don't know...more weight isn't always good (though it may feel good). Yeah, my PSP feels solid, but I sure wouldn't want to drop it!

Ruining language with my terrible words.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 01:24:48 PM »

Can't talk...too many games to play...

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 03:00:18 PM »

Your #1 and #3 are common complaints. I'd say only the first one really "matters" though. Being able to properly control the unit is an important issue. Whether you think the plastic casing is dense enough or not doesn't affect how the games play.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 03:16:29 PM »

Concerning issue #3 - you have got to be kidding me.  You're saying you felt more comfortable holding your PSP than your DS?!  The PSP didn't feel like a "portable" gaming machine to me because it was so delicate.  I couldn't take it anywhere without the risk of breaking something on it!  The DS is a lot more durable.  I take my DS around with me everywhere.  With my PSP I had to put it in a case, put a cleaning cloth on the screen, and hold it delicately whenever I got it out to play.

I have the same problem with issue #1.  It's a bit cramped.

And #2 I'm not too sure, because I never owned a GBA.

But I can't believe what you said for #3!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 03:52:50 PM »

As delicate as the PSP is, it is undeniably more comfortable to hold.  The real test is the shoulder buttons.  On the DS, I have to make a claw to get to them, on the PSP, it's an easy task.  There's something about the back of the PSP that makes it comfortable.  The DS, unfortunately, requires three hands to play.  That cramping thing is a real issue.  My fingers go dead after about twenty minutes, I break for two, then they fall asleep in five, and it's an ongoing cycle.

Of course, even though it's torturous, I play the DS way more often then the PSP.  The games are much better.  And I have to admit. I'm shocked.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 04:01:24 PM »

The size is the biggest problem for me and handhelds.  I can never really enjoy them because my huge hands cramp up easily.  I want a portable that's the size of the original X-Box controller and held the same way.  Just plop a giant screen in the middle of that sucker. smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 04:23:18 PM »

Pretty much disagree with 1 and 3.  I find the DS just as comfortable to hold for extended periods as any other handheld.  And I've never agreed with the cheaply made comments.  While its not "sexy" like the PSP, I've always thought the DS felt plenty solid and well constructed.  

Re: 2) I don't think that's correct.  Both DS screens are, I believe, larger than the GBA screen which is why GBA games are displayed as letterboxed and windowboxed to preserve the original screen size of GBA games.
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 04:56:26 PM »

It's just you. I've played Zelda: Minish Cap in the car for up to 4 hours and I felt just fine, and I have large hands.

The screens are the same size, and infact the screens are slightly larger than the GBA/SP screen resolution, so if you're playing a GBA game on your DS, there will be a small black border around the graphics to compensate for the smaller size.  Also, the touch screen is *slightly* dimmer than the top screen because of the touch interface.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 05:36:53 PM »

Just wanted to comment on the Durability comment, the DS is classic Nintendo durable. I would bet that you could run over it with something heavy, flip it open and have it turn on with no issues.

I've thrown in around a lot and it's been abused by my wife and my cat has accidentally knocked it flying off the end table and there have never been any issues.

At times it can feel uncomfortable, but it really depends on the game. A game like Kirby Canvas Curse or Yoshi Touch and Go feel natural, but Ridge Racer DS gives me fits at times and I need to sit down and be very still with it when I play Ridge Racer. Otherwise it's fine to use for the most part.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 06:52:07 PM »

I should probably clarify.  I can count on one hand the number of times any of my 'portable' gaming systems have left the house.    99% of my gaming is done on the couch, so portable durability (i.e. getting dropped, bumped, etc.) is not a concern.  Maybe that's why the PSP felt so much more durable to me.

I think that maybe the hands thing isn't necessarily the size of one's hands, more that certain hand sizes have a hard time.  For example, with my particular hand size, the bottom corners seem to dig in to an area between thumb and forefinger and become very uncomfortable.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: