http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 04:38:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DS] Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales - Review  (Read 3059 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
unbreakable
Guest
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2007, 04:07:31 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on April 16, 2007, 03:09:57 AM

Quote from: unbreakable on April 16, 2007, 12:46:10 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on April 15, 2007, 03:11:04 PM


ps: what do i do to unlock the western island in the underwater section?...

It's one of the things the books unlock.  Just check the secrets (the magnifying glass icon) to make sure you get them all.

crap! - tell me it's not the level five battle mode in 3 piggies pt 1 (volg kicks my butt!)...

That one is kind of easy, once you realize you win or lose it right in the beginning.

Your first move is doing one of two things- you are either placing the biggest piece, or stopping (cock-blocking?) Volg from placing the biggest piece.

Either way, from that point on, you will try to run the best game possible.  Another trick is to wait while a house is almost completed: if it has, say, 3-4 pieces left, and Volg is trying to finish it, wait with one piece of it while he fills in the rest.  The AI as the advantage in that it knows where all the pieces are at, and it head rights for them and right to drop them off.  To combat that, you can be devious.
Logged
unbreakable
Guest
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2007, 05:22:03 AM »

I really, truly love this game, don't get me wrong... but I was kind of disappointed in how the card battles kind of took a backseat in the game.
Logged
ROTC1983
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4414


Is it really that Kampfy?


View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2007, 06:25:39 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 16, 2007, 05:22:03 AM

I really, truly love this game, don't get me wrong... but I was kind of disappointed in how the card battles kind of took a backseat in the game.

I agree with you in that aspect.  If the card battles would have been utilized more, I would have been a happy camper.  As it is right now, the parts still cause the game to be awesome in its entirety. 
Logged

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 11:36:11 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 16, 2007, 04:07:31 AM

That one is kind of easy, once you realize you win or lose it right in the beginning.

Well, then come over here and do it for me, because I've tried a couple dozen times and can't do it.
The difficulty on that one is really annoying, because, unlike the Ugly Chocoling game where you have to spot the chocoling, the AI characters know where the pieces are and where they fit. The limited view of the playing field and not having a clue where the big pieces are at the start made this incredibly frustrating for me. IIRC, I managed to beat level 4, but level 5 ain't happening.

Yeah, the card battles are fun, but underutilized.
Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4416



View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2007, 12:08:51 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 16, 2007, 04:07:31 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on April 16, 2007, 03:09:57 AM

Quote from: unbreakable on April 16, 2007, 12:46:10 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on April 15, 2007, 03:11:04 PM


ps: what do i do to unlock the western island in the underwater section?...

It's one of the things the books unlock.  Just check the secrets (the magnifying glass icon) to make sure you get them all.

crap! - tell me it's not the level five battle mode in 3 piggies pt 1 (volg kicks my butt!)...

That one is kind of easy, once you realize you win or lose it right in the beginning.

Your first move is doing one of two things- you are either placing the biggest piece, or stopping (cock-blocking?) Volg from placing the biggest piece.

Either way, from that point on, you will try to run the best game possible.  Another trick is to wait while a house is almost completed: if it has, say, 3-4 pieces left, and Volg is trying to finish it, wait with one piece of it while he fills in the rest.  The AI as the advantage in that it knows where all the pieces are at, and it head rights for them and right to drop them off.  To combat that, you can be devious.

thanks for the assist - finally beat it last night. after maybe a dozen bad starts, got 2 big pieces (blocking volg both times), then proceeded to grab whatever i could (like a chocobo outa hell) & won by 2 points (so hang in there, misguided)...

i wish the card battles played a bigger role as well (& really hope this game isn't the last we see of them), but, like rotc says, i still think the game's pretty damn awesome as is...
Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15493


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2007, 03:05:30 PM »

I have to dissent here on the card battles.  Honestly, for me, they're kind of a "Oh, crap, I have to do this again" thing.  I think it's putting the pack together.  It's more of a pain for me than fun.  Yet I like unlocking all the cards.  Go figure.
Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
unbreakable
Guest
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2007, 06:27:51 PM »

There are a few "Promo" cards, but I'm not sure if they will show up outside Japan.  I think you will need to use the game to connect to... something... somewhere.

Anyway, here they are (there are 5 total, I'll add another post).

[attachment deleted by admin]
Logged
unbreakable
Guest
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2007, 06:28:55 PM »

And here is the Chocobo card.

These cards are pretty good.  If I played this multiplayer, they would really be worth some effort to get.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Logged
fyedaddy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 884

Ass


View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 06:55:52 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 11, 2007, 04:49:03 PM

I'm really, really liking this game.  It's funny, I was JUST asking about a good card-based game for the DS, and this flies in under my radar.

The ratchets up my interest a few levels. How much of the game is the card battles vs the rest of the adventure?
Logged

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4416



View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2007, 07:32:41 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 18, 2007, 06:27:51 PM

There are a few "Promo" cards, but I'm not sure if they will show up outside Japan.  I think you will need to use the game to connect to... something... somewhere.

Anyway, here they are (there are 5 total, I'll add another post).

nice...

yeah, i'd read that the cards were going to be available at ds download stations (like at gamestop), but i, too, am beginning to wonder if it'll ever happen...
Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
unbreakable
Guest
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2007, 11:34:02 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on April 18, 2007, 06:55:52 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on April 11, 2007, 04:49:03 PM

I'm really, really liking this game.  It's funny, I was JUST asking about a good card-based game for the DS, and this flies in under my radar.

The ratchets up my interest a few levels. How much of the game is the card battles vs the rest of the adventure?

There are actually about... 8 battles total, plus one training battle.  If you want to get two more cards, you repeat them again after you beat the game (and they are a bit harder, but you'll have better cards at that point, too).

It's still worth it, the game is really fun.  It's just that the focus of the game isn't the card battles.  If you like playing a lot of different minigames, you should have a lot of fun.
Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4850


Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action


View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2007, 02:19:23 AM »

Unbreakable is right. You spend a lot more time collecting the cards than actually dueling with them. Still, it does add some meat to the game, but it isn't the focus per se.

Holy cats! Does this game have the longest credits sequence or what?!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 03:37:55 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 47 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.015s, 2q)