http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 12:29:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DS] Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales - Review  (Read 3071 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2007, 08:03:17 AM »

IGN has posted their review for FF Fables: Chocobo Tales and the game has scored an 8.2.

Link: http://ds.ign.com/articles/778/778218p1.html

I know as much as the next person that IGN is a bit on the generous side for their scoring, but I do like what they say in the closing comments:

The game might feel a bit "kiddy" in its focus, what with those great, big, cute Chocobo eyes peeking at you from the box art. But even though the idea might skew young, the product is surprisingly enjoyable for the older crowd. Don't expect a huge, elaborate "the world's gonna end and we're gonna die!" emo storyline in Chocobo Tales, because the only danger here is a diabetic coma from the sugary sweet overload. The mini-games are clever and fun, and the card battle actually offers something simple yet challenging, and significantly different from the Yu-Gi-Oh crowd. This game surprised me on how fun it was; even if you're not a Final Fantasy junky I think you'll like it too.

I'll definitely be buying this when I finally get an additional DS for my son. BTW the games graphics aren't too shabby either.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 08:07:01 AM by kronovan » Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 02:29:43 PM »

Looking forward to it. Picking it up tomorrow.
Will be hard to get Puzzle Quest out of the DS though biggrin

Ruining language with my terrible words.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 03:00:35 PM »

picking it up today smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 03:09:14 PM »

spent enough time with it to get to the first couple card battles (which are fun). don't know if my big hands or failing eyesight, but some of the minigames are nasty! great presentation, very slick little game...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 03:29:19 PM »

I played through the first chapter, myself.  Didn't get to a card battle yet, though.  Semi is right, it's a well put-together game.  It looks great, there's a fun theme that seems to be consistent throughout.  I have a hunch I'm really going to enjoy this one.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:20:13 PM »

It is in stock at work...I am going to have to purchase it...now to find the money to buy it biggrin

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 11:00:21 AM »

Well, I bought it...the game is fun beyond belief.  If you have any questions, just let me know biggrin

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 11:50:41 AM »

I've played for about an hour and a half, and it's really impressive so far. Great-looking game, maybe the best I've seen on DS, and I've enjoyed the minigames so far.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 01:43:30 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 06, 2007, 11:50:41 AM

I've played for about an hour and a half, and it's really impressive so far. Great-looking game, maybe the best I've seen on DS, and I've enjoyed the minigames so far.

The one quest where you
Spoiler for Hiden:
blow into the mic to make the mouse/hamster fly caused me to be out of breath.  Sheesh.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 04:41:58 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on April 06, 2007, 01:43:30 PM

Quote from: Misguided on April 06, 2007, 11:50:41 AM

The one quest where you
Spoiler for Hiden:
blow into the mic to make the mouse/hamster fly caused me to be out of breath.  Sheesh.

Hahaha, I did that one a while ago and looked up to realize I had just barely made gold on my first attempt.
Some of the minigames are really tough! The job juggler one is giving me fits, for instance.
I've played about three hours now and seem to have a nifty green deck in the making.
I don't know how long the game is or how long it'll hold my attention, but it's extremely well done thus far.

If you're the type that thinks games lately are too cute, though, stay far away.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 08:46:40 PM »

Yeah, the game is disgustingly cute. biggrin

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 11:47:26 PM »

This game is kicking my ass more than I expected it to.  The first boss card battle
Spoiler for Hiden:
he keeps pulling out a fourteen point health regeneration card right before I put him down.  Three times that happened.  Aargh.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 12:11:17 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 07, 2007, 11:47:26 PM

This game is kicking my ass more than I expected it to.  The first boss card battle
Spoiler for Hiden:
he keeps pulling out a fourteen point health regeneration card right before I put him down.  Three times that happened.  Aargh.

I expect to lose the first time.  When I lose, I just build a deck to counter all of his/her attacks.  Then I usually succeed or find out that a card combo might not be that good.

unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 07:21:16 AM »

I picked this up, but now I have too many unfinished DS games.  I still haven't opened Scurge: Hive, and I still have to finish Lunar Knights and FF3.  And I just end up playing Puzzle Quest for hours anyway.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 02:42:47 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 07, 2007, 04:41:58 PM

Some of the minigames are really tough! The job juggler one is giving me fits, for instance.

well into the game (now after the third crystal), & enjoying it much more than i'd expected, but, yeah, many of the mini-games (& that one in particular) i'm still having a helluva time with, to the point of sometimes barely being able to advance the story - beneath the sugary coating, this game's reminding me more'n'more of trauma center, frantic-activity-wise...

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 02:43:28 PM »

Heh, I kind of needed a diversion from PQ for a bit. I was trying to forge high level items before heading into the next phase of the story and it can be pretty tough.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 05:58:12 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 07, 2007, 11:47:26 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

LOL. I got to this fight this morning, and I had this really neat deck I had assembled entirely out of green cards.
You can probably guess how that went. saywhat
I yanked all my greens out and got him pretty good on take 2.
I managed to drop a freeze on him then nail him with a blue attack.

In regard to your specific issue, yeah, he's got a card that gives him 2 hp per red in his pool,
so you might want to look for some CP crush cards. I know I have at least one at that point
that kills 2 cp of the same color as the opponent's card.

I really like the card battles so far. While it is going to be too simple for someone
that loves Yu-gi-oh! or Marvel Vs., there's more here than you might think.
This isn't simply a case of picking the right color of 4. You've got to put a deck
together that will allow you to activate your crystal abilities, attack, defend, etc.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »

thought i'd had it, as far as not being able to advance the story, at cactuar/adamantoise pt 2, but finally managed to beat it (by 1/6 of a second!), & have reached the 4th crystal...

occasionally close to impossible difficulty levels on some of the minigames aside, & speaking as someone who's never played a card game (aside from the 2 metal gear acids), i'm really impressed with how beautifully this game's been put together. the incorporation of characters, music, & other elements of the ff mythos is a genuine treat, the 'unlock everything' game design is pretty damn addictive, the card battles are more than challenging enough, & the pop-up storybook graphics, in particular, are just plain gorgeous...

if you're into final fantasy, you really need to check out this game - easily one of my favorite ds titles at this point...

unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 04:49:03 PM »

I'm really, really liking this game.  It's funny, I was JUST asking about a good card-based game for the DS, and this flies in under my radar.

Did anyone manage to beat the bomb puzzle in under 16 seconds?  I can't do it... too hard...
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 05:58:19 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 11, 2007, 04:49:03 PM

I'm really, really liking this game.  It's funny, I was JUST asking about a good card-based game for the DS, and this flies in under my radar.

Did anyone manage to beat the bomb puzzle in under 16 seconds?  I can't do it... too hard...

not me (need to go back & try again) - tho, of all of'm so far, i still think job juggler is the hardest...

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 05:59:32 PM »

I picked this up for my flight to Israel and I must say I absolutely love it.  The mini and micro games are great (I think Job Juggler is great Final Fantasy fan service) and I really like the card game as well.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 06:57:53 PM »

Yeah, the job juggler isn't a cakewalk.  It might be doable, however.

I really had fun with the balloon pop game.

But I really, really, really hate the book with that rhythm game.  It became easier once I realized you can just let the chocobo rest on the instrument button (I was tapping the button in time with the beats), but it's still hard and annoying.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 06:59:33 PM by unbreakable » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 08:09:25 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 11, 2007, 06:57:53 PM

Yeah, the job juggler isn't a cakewalk.  It might be doable, however.

I really had fun with the balloon pop game.

But I really, really, really hate the book with that rhythm game.  It became easier once I realized you can just let the chocobo rest on the instrument button (I was tapping the button in time with the beats), but it's still hard and annoying.

i had a harder time with the first rythmn book than the second - found that just ignoring the enemies & concentrating on being where i was supposed to be made it easier...

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 08:24:25 PM »

Just beat it in 15"84.  Woot!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 08:47:03 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 11, 2007, 08:24:25 PM

Just beat it in 15"84.  Woot!

Are we talking about the arrow maze bomb wall thing?  That is the only one so far that I'm planning on just skipping.  18 seconds+ was near impossible for me.  Any trick to it, Grue?

unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 11:25:37 PM »

While I as trying it, I figured I would need to be around 5 sec each match.  I never completed one faster than about 5.5 sec, which is still too slow.

I'll have to try it in the morning, I seem to be sharper then (a great thing you can see if you play Brain Age a lot).  If I can't get around 5 sec, I'll just leave it to being old and slow.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 01:50:42 AM »

There's no real trick to it other than reading the arrow real fast and interpreting both direction and how many squares over you need to tap.  I just kind of did it over and over again, getting better each time until I got through.  It probably took about 20 tries or so.

Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 12:52:14 PM »

I concur with everyone else - great little game and a nice diversion from Puzzle Quest for a little while.

The bomb puzzle has got me beat as well. The quickest time I was able to manage was 16.57 - is the reward for gold even worth it?

Looking forward to playing a little more of this quality title.
unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 03:58:40 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 12, 2007, 01:50:42 AM

I just kind of did it over and over again, getting better each time until I got through.  It probably took about 20 tries or so.

Yeah, that is kind of why I gave up.  Now after a few minutes I can pretty much gauge if I'm going to be able to do it.  I must have played the bomb thing about 100 times before throwing in the towel.

There is one puzzle later on I was surprised I did so well in: it's in the schoolhouse, where you have to arrange pieces to form a path.  The first time it took me about 90 seconds, but by the third try I had about 32 sec.  The next attempt got me the gold star.

So if you aren't improving too much in successive playthroughs, that particular minigame might not be your thing.  I actually wish one of those gamer-god kids were around, it would be nice to have them complete some of the really tough ones (like the bomb puzzle).  But on the other hand, it might detract from some of the enjoyment of the game: if something gets hard, you just have the kid do it, rather than powering through to your eventual victory.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 05:00:34 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 12, 2007, 03:58:40 PM

So if you aren't improving too much in successive playthroughs, that particular minigame might not be your thing.

agreed. while i've been surprised by how well i've done on some of the games on second or third try (finally got gold on bubble bounce last night), there are a few i just can't get anywhere with & am pretty much passing on, as i don't wanna wreck what's otherwise been a great time by whacking my head against a wall repeatedly (& no, that's not one of the minigames)...

unbreakable
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2007, 05:21:02 PM »

LOL, I got Bubble Bounce last night, too.  I got 42 exactly, and yelled out "In Your Face!!!".  For some reason, I had the hardest time getting more than 38 bubbles.

Ooohhh... one which really makes me want to throw the DS is the one where you stab the jar.  It's entirely, literally, luck based.  And to make it worse, gold star is 20 points, and on my first play I got to 18.  And haven't even come close since then.

The one where you have to use the gold needle on the Goblin is another rough one.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 05:23:34 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2007, 06:56:22 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 12, 2007, 05:21:02 PM

LOL, I got Bubble Bounce last night, too.  I got 42 exactly, and yelled out "In Your Face!!!".  For some reason, I had the hardest time getting more than 38 bubbles.

Ooohhh... one which really makes me want to throw the DS is the one where you stab the jar.  It's entirely, literally, luck based.  And to make it worse, gold star is 20 points, and on my first play I got to 18.  And haven't even come close since then.

The one where you have to use the gold needle on the Goblin is another rough one.

I was stuck at 41 bubbles forever.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2007, 03:18:47 PM »

went ahead & finished last night (63% of cards, 18 chocobos). the final boss battle's pretty funny, & very much in keeping with the quirky atmosphere, & the post-game save returns you to the moment right before it, which is nice...

can't say enough good things about the game - were i younger, & my reflexes/vision better, & my hands smaller, i'm not sure how long i'd've kept playing this...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2007, 12:10:52 AM »

The unicorn music repeating game - WTF??! 

The timing just doesn't seem to match the music at all.  After a bunch of attempts, I've only pulled off 4 points in the first level!  Is anyone else having trouble with this one?

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2007, 04:35:23 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 15, 2007, 12:10:52 AM

The timing just doesn't seem to match the music at all.  After a bunch of attempts, I've only pulled off 4 points in the first level!  Is anyone else having trouble with this one?

You don't tap the instruments to the timing.  You need to tap before it gets to that instrument.  So, as soon as they show you the first instrument in the pattern, go ahead and put the chocobo there in preparation.  Then, as soon as the last note for that instrument has played, move him to the next instrument.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2007, 02:12:11 PM »

Yeah, it isn't a rhythm game per se....you have to be standing on the right symbol when it plays...no tapping required.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2007, 03:11:04 PM »

just got the last 2 chocobos (& a few more cards) - damn, this game's addictive smile ...

ps: what do i do to unlock the western island in the underwater section?...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2007, 12:39:34 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 15, 2007, 02:12:11 PM

Yeah, it isn't a rhythm game per se....you have to be standing on the right symbol when it plays...no tapping required.

Quote from: The Grue on April 15, 2007, 04:35:23 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 15, 2007, 12:10:52 AM

You don't tap the instruments to the timing.  You need to tap before it gets to that instrument.  So, as soon as they show you the first instrument in the pattern, go ahead and put the chocobo there in preparation.  Then, as soon as the last note for that instrument has played, move him to the next instrument.

Thanks, guys.  That'll help.

unbreakable
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2007, 12:46:10 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on April 15, 2007, 03:11:04 PM

It's one of the things the books unlock.  Just check the secrets (the magnifying glass icon) to make sure you get them all.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 03:09:57 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 16, 2007, 12:46:10 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on April 15, 2007, 03:11:04 PM

It's one of the things the books unlock.  Just check the secrets (the magnifying glass icon) to make sure you get them all.

crap! - tell me it's not the level five battle mode in 3 piggies pt 1 (volg kicks my butt!)...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: