http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 02:52:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DS] Clubhouse Games Impressions?  (Read 1634 times)
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2006, 03:42:19 PM »

Nope, don't have any (we're on page one anyway)

Anyone care to comment and push this to page 2 so we can get some impressions?  icon_wink
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 03:50:26 PM »

I'm all for pushing it to page 2 and here is my contribution.  I will be picking it up either at the end of the week or beginning of next.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 04:04:43 PM »

Even though it showed as shipping on Monday, no one in my area has it still.

EDIT: Oops, scratch that.  Best Buy has it.  I'll get it this afternoon.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 04:05:22 PM »

I wouldn't mind giving this one a shot either. I believe we got it in the store on Tuesday.

*wonders whether a disco ball in the dark is still tacky*

Ruining language with my terrible words.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 05:24:05 PM »

My impression is that it's $15 too expensive.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 06:36:42 PM »

the Nintendo Power review said it was fun, but that the multiplayer versions had weird time limit or turn limit etc. rules that were imposed on the games. Sounds like they made changes for the sake of portability/ease on time use.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 09:41:34 PM »

Mahjong with a stylus.  What more do you want?  Good enough for me.  I suppose it's too much to ask for a few different tile sets, but hopefully there are different board layouts.  I can't believe I am excited to pay $25-30 for what would undoubtedly be bad PC freeware.  But finally, with a stylus!

Now when will Ultimate Board Games and Ultimate Brain Games hit the DS?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 10:28:40 PM »

IGN has a review - here.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 11:22:49 PM »

Quote from: stiffler on October 11, 2006, 09:41:34 PM

I can't believe I am excited to pay $25-30 for what would undoubtedly be bad PC freeware.  But finally, with a stylus!

And there are so many other games.  It's kind of overwhelming.

I'm enjoying the alternate modes, too.  Stamp mode is kind of fun.  You play all the games, essentially.  There is a flaw in the system, though, where if you're good at a game, you get enough stamps that you probably only have to play it once, but if you're bad, you may have to play three times.  Good for training, I guess, but I like playing the games that suit me more.  Still, you can play those in free mode and unlock things.  There's also a mission mode where you're given challenges to overcome in each game (correctly calling someone a cheater 5 times in a game of BullshI Doubt It, for example).

A lot of quick fun to be had here, for sure.

Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 07:05:20 PM »

This game looks to be fun for the whole family, anyone else buy this yet?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 08:00:20 PM »

I bought it over the weekend and have really enjoyed it.  I have mostly been playing Stamp mode to unlock the extra games.  I did go online and tried to play Spades, but I could never get a game going.  I did get a Texas Hold 'Em game with another person going and when I was about to win, he disconnected and I don't think I got the win in my record, so that kind of pissed me off.  I didn't reconnect to see if maybe it just needed to update or something, so it might not be an actual problem.

There are a great many games in the software and some of them I didn't realize what they were until I played them because they are given names other than the trademarked ones.  For instance, Stratego, UNO, and Parcheesi are in the game, but with different names.  The game is great for quick gaming sessions where you just want to play something real quick and not have to think too much.  I think this will do well as a game that gamers and non-gamers alike can enjoy.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 09:40:31 PM »

I'm having a great time with it.

Stamp mode is actually better than I thought since you will always progress even if you don't understand the game and lose (you get one stamp regardless).  It's been a fun way to learn some of the games.

Mahjong is fun.  Only one tileset but that's okay and there are have 20 or so board layouts.  I just had to give the symbols different names to know what I was looking at.  The blinking "available" peices are hypnotic and I love the way they stack the used peices on the top screen.  I haven't seen this feature before and it helps with my awful memory.

The other games are actually a lot of fun even if I did find bowling to be rather tough with my lack of stylus-fu.

If you want some quick fun board/card games then you should enjoy it.  Like I said many times, I bought it for mahjong and have been pleasantly surprised with the rest of the game.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 05:20:15 PM »

I got it and enjoy it.  I'm really digging darts for some strange reason.  It's very relaxing to play and the control for throwing darts is very well done.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 05:45:32 PM »

I like the game overall, but I have some gripes:

1. I buy games like this to pick up and play the games I want to play. Stamp mode was a pain in the ass for me because half the games I will never play again and I didn't wanna play them to begin with. Plus making me unlock some of the ones I did wanna play felt cheap.

2. Bowling and a few others games just don't have the right feel with the stylus and are pretty crappy.

3. Too many Japanese games I care nothing about (Shogi, etc)

4. Many of the games are kinda basic, barebones, and thus don't have much depth or customizability.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 06:59:48 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 20, 2006, 05:45:32 PM

I like the game overall, but I have some gripes:

1. I buy games like this to pick up and play the games I want to play. Stamp mode was a pain in the ass for me because half the games I will never play again and I didn't wanna play them to begin with. Plus making me unlock some of the ones I did wanna play felt cheap.

2. Bowling and a few others games just don't have the right feel with the stylus and are pretty crappy.

3. Too many Japanese games I care nothing about (Shogi, etc)

4. Many of the games are kinda basic, barebones, and thus don't have much depth or customizability.

I agree with those gripes, though I am enjoying Stamp Mode and think it goes pretty fast.  Shogi, in particular, was the worst.  Too much to take in, and the fact that there's no option to have non-Japanese characters displayed on the pieces (in Mahjong, too and that card game that Nintendo got its start publishing in the 1800s) sucks and makes it overly difficult.  The bare bones games are a godsend in Stamp Mode, I think, but even if you never play those or the Japanese ones or bowling and darts, that still leaves a crapload of great games to play many times, which is no doubt why you actually like the game, as you said.

Mission Mode is a little scattershot, for me.  The first one you can select (for Doubt It) is proving impossible for me, but the rest in that block were a breeze.  A bad choice, as I can see people never giving Mission Mode a fair chance if they can't get past the first mission.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 12:48:23 AM »

I just finished Stamp Mode, in fact.  I was suprised to find out I was playing on Easy.  There's still Normal and Hard to go (doubt I'll get through those, though.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 12:28:45 AM »

It's pretty good for what it is, but some of the thing annoy me. Like Rummy, I should have access to the entire discard pile for instance. What I really want though, is stats. Games like these need to keep every stat you can think of.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 08:49:10 PM »

My Best Buy had this for $25 today (though it rang up for $29.99 initially) which is much more in the range I am willing to pay. I haven't played it yet, but for now just wanted to let people know (check your local BB).

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 03:01:41 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 22, 2006, 12:28:45 AM

Like Rummy, I should have access to the entire discard pile for instance.

???  What Rummy rules have you been using?

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 03:41:36 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 23, 2006, 03:01:41 PM

Normal Rummy, everyone I have ever played with played like that. You can take any of the lower cards if you are going to play them right away, but you must take all the cards on top of it too. Top card you can take and keep in your hand.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 05:01:01 PM »

My wife is helping me with Escape, but after about an hour of playing, no luck. How on Earth do you beat that? If you can't move and turn the big pieces, its impossible.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 05:36:35 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 23, 2006, 05:01:01 PM

My wife is helping me with Escape, but after about an hour of playing, no luck. How on Earth do you beat that? If you can't move and turn the big pieces, its impossible.

I couldn't begin to tell you how I did it.  However, because I love you, I searched on Gamefaqs and found a solution in the following post:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=933040&topic=31121274

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 05:45:53 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 23, 2006, 03:41:36 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 23, 2006, 03:01:41 PM

Normal Rummy, everyone I have ever played with played like that. You can take any of the lower cards if you are going to play them right away, but you must take all the cards on top of it too. Top card you can take and keep in your hand.

I was confusing it with Gin Rummy, which is the version I normally play.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: