http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 05:17:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Deus Ex] Video walkthru  (Read 638 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2011, 04:09:36 PM »

It's as close to spoiler free as you can get, but if you are interested in the game you might want to check out my recent trip to Montreal. 

http://gamingtrend.com/2011/08/18/deus-ex-human-revolution-exclusive-behind-the-scenes/

This video is the first of several, culminating with my full review on Tuesday.   I'll give you a hint...it's everything you hoped it could be, and then some.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »

Did you play PC or Console, Ron?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 04:31:01 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on August 18, 2011, 04:16:53 PM

Did you play PC or Console, Ron?

I've played all three.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »

Nice interview. Looking forward to the rest. It's interesting to see how much they can do with Excel. What did you think of the original hacking game? Did it really seem too complicated?

Ale
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 04:16:49 AM »

Quote from: Alefroth on August 19, 2011, 12:34:00 AM

Nice interview. Looking forward to the rest. It's interesting to see how much they can do with Excel. What did you think of the original hacking game? Did it really seem too complicated?

Ale

Yea, it was just entirely too complicated.  The one the replaced it with is really a simple but entertaining and challenging minigame.  It's enough to keep you on your toes. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 01:14:48 AM »

I'm torn on the video approach, to be honest.  For one thing, the sound is sketchy in places and I found I had to jack it up to hear what was being said (and even then it was hard to follow.)  Then you have the camera often fixed on one person while they have a conversation with someone "off camera," which is odd.    But the basic idea of videos is interesting.

Also, I'm surprised not to see anymore videos yet.  Once this game hits on Tuesday the interest in them is probably going to drop way off - much better to have them out now to drive people to the site to watch when interest is at its peak, IMHO.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 01:35:45 AM »

Is a two camera approach out of the question on these vids?  While I enjoyed seeing the dev, it felt like I was seeing too little of the game/display. (I'm honestly curious, as I don't know how it was recorded)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 03:24:09 AM »

I would love to see GT write this info out as an article, using shots from the video. This design process will probably very interesting to people, especially fans who want to know how they got there from updating the original.

Also, that bit of info about the conversation system being a little randomized was really good info, not sure if anyone else reported on it.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 04:10:16 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 21, 2011, 04:16:49 AM

Quote from: Alefroth on August 19, 2011, 12:34:00 AM

Ale

Yea, it was just entirely too complicated.  The one the replaced it with is really a simple but entertaining and challenging minigame.  It's enough to keep you on your toes. 

What was the original hacking game?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:21:59 AM »

You would initiate a hack by scanning the system, then choosing a port to begin hacking from, each port would have different properties that would affect how the hack would go.

Then when you did the hack, you were constantly switching between two mini games and watch your back.

Watch the video, it's quite an interesting system in and of itself, but just way too complicated to be one part of a larger game. I suspect they could release a deus ex HR standalone mini-game that used those mechanics, kinda like those hacker based indie games.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 09:24:29 PM »

2nd video posted -an interview with David Anfosi the producer of the game: http://gamingtrend.com/2011/08/22/interview-with-deus-ex-producer-david-anfosi/

We have 2 more vids we should be posting tomorrow (along with the review).

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 12:27:49 AM »

Maybe it is just me, but I was avoiding this thread because I assumed it was a walk through video for the first Deus Ex, or perhaps one for the newest one.  I didn't think it was a design/development interview and walk through at all.  Maybe a thread title change would help?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: