http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 07:34:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [DEMO] Battle for Middle Earth II  (Read 2193 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2006, 10:31:54 PM »

You can grab it and any other cool demos RIGHT HERE from the best and fastest site out there. Dont wait on those exclusive crap sites smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 10:39:11 PM »

So.. four hours to download.

No thanks.

1.3 gigs for a four level demo with only two sides?

Lame.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 10:40:04 PM »

You ARE the man!

I'm guessing 30 minutes for me.

Thanks

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 12:03:45 AM »

Not sure how long it took me...was at 6% before I could stand up smile..I went to watch an old SG1 rerun. 360kps

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 01:20:27 AM »

Took me 31 minutes to download and another bunch to unpack and install.  I DO NOT want to be a voice of negativity regarding this game, as I bet many will like it.  

But I will state, for the record, after playing the tutorials and 1 skirmish game, that I am disappointed.  I will leave it at that, other than to say I will not be buying the game.  Bummer for me.  I do hope those people who were really looking forward to it love it though.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 02:24:22 AM »

Does anyone know if this is the same thing as the beta?
siege

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 02:40:18 AM »

Quote from: "Punisher"
Does anyone know if this is the same thing as the beta?

It is.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 04:20:44 AM »

Lockdown i'm with you on this one.  To me the graphics are terrible as well.  And it's a huge resource hog.  Takes forever to load and when i quit it takes a couple minutes to get back to my desktop.  I'm running it at 1280 x 960 with an Athlon 3700 and X800 Pro.

I'm staying far away from this and uninstalling now.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 06:50:12 AM »

How many players can you have in the singleplayer skirmish?

I never really cared for the first one, felt it was a waste of $50. So definitely going to take a cautious wait and see approach on the sequel. However even if it does end up sucking, if the price is right ($30 or less) I'd consider the xbox 360 version just because I want to support the RTS scene on consoles so more developers star filling this empty gap.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 06:50:40 AM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Took me 31 minutes to download and another bunch to unpack and install.  I DO NOT want to be a voice of negativity regarding this game, as I bet many will like it.  

But I will state, for the record, after playing the tutorials and 1 skirmish game, that I am disappointed.  I will leave it at that, other than to say I will not be buying the game.  Bummer for me.  I do hope those people who were really looking forward to it love it though.

I feel the same way.  It also made me realize I need a better video card to play on the "high" setting.  It looked pretty crappy on medium and bumping it up to high gave me a nice looking slideshow.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 04:36:03 PM »

I have to play it on low.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 05:12:36 PM »

I will try it tonight. Wasn't there some hooplah about this having the new version of starforce on it or something? Anyways, I will try it later.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 10:06:47 PM »

Tried a skirmish of it. Did'nt really like it. The building of walls sucked. It would'nt let me build walls where I needed them. there was nothing there to block the wall yet it was red'd out and I could'nt completely block ,yself in. So thats a skip. Saves me time and money to know it isnt what id hoped.

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 05:17:35 PM »

ran just fine on my system and I even forgot and left MS office mail running in the background.

Medium graphics and I think I ran it at 1280x1024
AMD athlon 2500 barton
1 Gb ram
256 MB video card radeon 9550

I particularly liked the dragon hero that the goblins get.  He has some way cool attacks; a fireball and a fire missile that looks like a dragon made of fire.  Watching him knock down and scatter enemy formations was pretty awesome too.

I also like how you can see upgrades on the units; banners, shiny weapons etc.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 06:32:57 PM »

ya it ran great for me too but quitting back to my desktop was a different story.

i'm surprised at how many people on other forums are liking this.  the first thing i thought when i played it was, "man this game is gonna get ripped by alot of people".

oh well, to each his own smile

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2006, 10:18:59 PM »

Downloaded finally, now I can give it a try in a little bit! smile
Chaplin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2006, 11:02:17 PM »

Personally,  I like it.  And its not like fantasy based RTSs with good AI (for Skirmish or Buddies vs AI games) are falling off of trees.  

Graphics could be better, but its not horrible or even bad.  I like them in fact, but I can see why some might not.  The engine does not seem to run efficiently, true.  It seems to suck up a lot of resources and have a hard time letting them go even when you exit the program.  However, thats not exactly a killing point for a game for me (otherwise I would never play BF2).

Things I like about the game:

1)  Full on fantasy!  Not just knights and swords and a gratuitous orc here and there.  We got trolls, Orcs, Evles, Treants, Nazgul riding Wurms, Dragons, Dwarves, and whatever else.  I really don't care that its Tolkien, but I do like that its NOT historical.

2)  AI that is challenging.  This is a FREAKING huge deal to me and worth its weight in gone gold. slywink  I really enjoy playing skirmish or LANing it up vs the AI with some friends.  So darn many games out there just have pathetic last minute AI (god bless Larkin and crew and their DoW Skirmish AI which has given me many a fun DoW vs AI time).  A fun AI just can make a game for me, but this may not be a factor for those who only Campaign (script AI) or are hardcore MP rush fest junkies.

3)  Squad based unit mechanic.  Kohan really started it for me.  Rise of Nations helped it along, now DoW has made it so I just cant stand "create 1 single guy per 60 barracks and cntrl # a million of them together" games.  I like the squad creation mechanic SOOOOO much more.  I feel it makes it a lot easier to get the formation, flanking, etc gameplay going rather than attack move + micro.  Again, this could just be me, but this is why I am buying the game for me.

4)  I like the building/ troop/ hero level up stuff.  I wish there was more healing to make it easier to maintain, but still, its cool to worry about losing your level 3 mine or level 2 archery range.

5)  Siege warfare.  I was just recently digging around for a siege type game.  I was looking at Stronghold2 and Lord of  the Realm 3 very strongly, but ultimately the rest of  the game hurt both games for me.  So, I loaded back up BFME1 and got a descent fix of this as I worked hard to man the walls and fire down on the enemy trolls while running my horsemen out a side passage to flank the ballistas crushing my walls.  BFME2 does not allow stanind on walls now, but it looks to have a more expanded siege/ fortress settup options.

These are very subjective points.  They are things that matter to me in an RTS and are rather rare in RTS offerings.  As such, this game is darn cool and an exciting purchase for me.  Maybe not for others.  I just thought I should say something about these points as the thread seems a bit negative and a bit sparse on content.  But everyone has different things that appeal to them.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 03:23:36 AM »

I managed to bag Gollum in the last game I played and got the ring from him.  I used Shelob to transport the ring back to my fortress, she was level 10 and it bumped her damage big time.  Once you get it to the fortress you keep gaining power points to spend on the specials.  I still think drogoth is bery cool but the Balrog will give him a run for the money.  Summoning him in is just sweet and all the attacks (the whip is very nice) he has are very well done.  If someone ever sends a Balrog at your armies just pray you have enough units to keep him busy until his timer runs out; he just sweeps things out of his way.  Did I mention that the Balrog can fly too.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 10:55:07 PM »

It's off to be turned into a game box and CD:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/index.php#4912

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 09:31:46 PM »

What is the deal with games not supporting widescreen? Supposedly you CAN change the rez to a widescreen format but it cuts off the top and bottom. That's just dumb. Rise of Nations supported widescreen AGES ago, and Empires at War supports it just fine, so apparently the technology exists (and has existed for some time) to support it...  :roll:

See my list of games I have and want.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 02:44:10 AM »

Quote from: "Nakor"
What is the deal with games not supporting widescreen? Supposedly you CAN change the rez to a widescreen format but it cuts off the top and bottom. That's just dumb. Rise of Nations supported widescreen AGES ago, and Empires at War supports it just fine, so apparently the technology exists (and has existed for some time) to support it...  :roll:

Here is a thread about this stuff from the ea forum:  
link

Right now the game does not support 1280x1024 because that is a 5:4 ratio, where as the game is built at a 4:3 ratio. 1280x1024 when supported by other games is in fact slightly skewing the picture.

The game will support 1280x960, which is 4:3.

Now, when the game ships, you can always mod the options.ini and have the game run at 1280x1024, it's a pretty simple manuever.

I also agree. I understand how passionate people are, but to come on here and somewhat threaten/manipulate our support is not the greatest tactic to get us to change or add something.

So, that is the answer. If enough people want 1280x1024, i'll see what we can do about putting it in.

LCD folk should be just fine at 1280x960.

APOC

Edit:  IMHO, all, and I mean *ALL* RTS games should be pausible to issue orders.  If hardcore players don't like it, they don't have to use it.  End of story.  Why alienate potenitally 25-50% of players?  The first was awesome except for the massive stress I felt...there was no way to even slow the game down a bit.

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 02:47:55 AM »

Wow, nice FUD by EA.

I know of games that will render perfectly well in multiple resolutions. See WoW for example.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 01:43:35 AM »

Yeah, that explaination is LAME at best. Who hardcodes screen resolutions these days?? Oh yeah, these guys. True, some lame games will crop the top and bottom to give you "widescreen" but not every game "skews" the picture when viewing at different ratios. Some programmers are competent enough to support both 4:3 and various widescreen ratios... all without editing an ini file.

See my list of games I have and want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: