http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 05:56:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Danish game] Limbo - the future of games?  (Read 3016 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:52:56 PM »

So, a danish company is producing what they claim to be the future of gaming. simplicity is the key here, they say.

You can say a translated newpiece here: http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=da&u=http%3A%2F%2Fkpn.dk%2Fspil%2Farticle1644693.ece&sl=da&tl=en and the gametrailer, which is VERY cool here: http://www.limbogame.org/

I gotta say, I like the art direction myself a lot, and appearently so does the danish government, since a part of it just gave 11 million kroner to them

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 02:20:12 PM »

I've seen this trailer months/years ago for some reason. Or at least I know I've seen it before.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 07:10:24 PM »

Man, this looks awesome.

I can't wait to check it out.

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/63756/limbo/videos/limbo_gameplayteaser_51210.html

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 07:41:21 PM »

You had me up until you said 'Danish' ;-)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 09:20:47 PM »

You had me up until you said Xbox only frown

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 10:11:45 PM »

So the future of gaming is a platformer?  Hehe.  It does look neat though.

Oh and this should prolly get moved to console section.

morlac00 on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:50:19 PM »

It looks good, but it's really not "the future of games". If any serious developer said that, they'd get laughed at on every forum and news site across the internet. However, this "indie" developer gets a pass since they're small. slywink

It is, basically, just another indie platformer with a cool art style and premise.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 06:33:30 AM by Turtle » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 06:16:59 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 01, 2010, 10:50:19 PM

It looks good, but it's really not "the future of games". If any serious developer said that, they'd get laughed at on every forum across. However, this "indie" developer gets a pass since they're small. slywink

It is, basically, just another indie platformer with a cool art style and premise.

You are only saying that because you are all bigots and hates danes!!

Anyways, the article is annoyingly gone, so I cant comment on what they meant when they said it was the future of gaming...but I think I have some vague memory about it being because of the size of the game? I.e. its very very small in terms of how much room it takes...

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 06:42:36 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 02, 2010, 06:16:59 AM

Damn! You caught me. Yeah, I can't stand those pesky Danish, I mean, are you a pastry, or a country? Make up your damn minds!  icon_twisted
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 06:47:26 AM »

you say that like it's a bad thing  Tongue

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 06:48:22 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 02, 2010, 06:47:26 AM

you say that like it's a bad thing  Tongue

no no, its good for molepeople to have a hobby...  ninja

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »

NEWS FLASH! Just released on Steam Aug. 2! icon_cool It was in Steam's indy showcase last night and hooked me right away.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/48000/

Official site:
http://limbogame.org/

The playable demo features a pretty lengthy playable chunk too. The Steam forums suggest the full game's rather short and maybe even $9.99 seems a bit much for it, but I'll probably pick it up soon. It reminds me a bit of Trine in terms of the gameplay, albeit there aren't multiple classes.

I haven't been playing anything in months now, and sometimes it takes little games like this to get me re-interested.  icon_smile

I definitely found it intoxicating. It makes imho incredible use of lighting, shadows, sound cues etc. It's very minimalist and if you have an open mind about that kind of stuff, very immersive if a bit... monochrome.  icon_cool

Keep in mind, if you can't stomach your kid alter-ego getting decapitated, chopped up by bear traps, drowning and otherwise getting whacked on occasion, don't even try the demo.  We put the fun in funeral To me, it's kind of like your guy getting wacked in the old Prince of Persia games, it's almost warped fun although it inspires me to try to keep him safe too.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:52:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 21, 2011, 02:45:31 PM

It reminds me a bit of Trine in terms of the gameplay, albeit there aren't multiple classes.

It's much more similar to Another World, which has been remastered and re-released at the link I just posted, btw. The first half of Limbo is much better than the second half sadly, but the first half is very good.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 03:02:20 PM »

I find it like Trine in terms of maneuvering objects in the environment to get past areas.

I played Another World in its heyday (I think I got the DOS version in 1993, which had been apparently retitled "Out of This World," which is how I remember it). I'm afraid my 18 year old memories of it aren't much use to me now. I remember using a gun, which is very un-Limbo-ish.  icon_smile

GoG.com offers that, fwiw:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/another_world_15th_anniversary_edition

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 04:53:22 PM »

I did buy it. Though I've died about 149 different ways in about a half hour of play. Clearly, the future of gaming is dying repeatedly and often.   icon_redface It's fun, I just find I have to screw up a million ways to Sunday until I figure out how to get past certain areas. In some cases, it's not so much a puzzle as figuring out what you need to do fast enough not to get chomped by something.

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »

Blue's mentioned this. The headline just sounds... wrong  saywhat but it's good news apparently

Limbo Developer Playdead Buys Itself Back From Investors
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36876/Limbo_Developer_Playdead_Buys_Itself_Back_From_Investors.php
Thanks to the financial success of its first game, Limbo, developer Playdead Studios has bought itself back from its investors -- a move that grants the studio greater financial and creative independence.

The announcement came from investment bank GP Bullhound, which advised the sale. Playdead is now solely owned by its founders and management.
I don't know about it being the "future of games," as much as being a fun platformer with a very unique look and style.

Although I'm still enjoying it, I definitely periodically just plain get stuck at certain areas and have to refer to online game FAQs and walkthroughs when I'm stumped. Sometimes I really have to think waaay outside the box to understand how to traverse an area.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:16:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 02:01:41 PM »

This apparently hit the 1 million global sales mark, and a Mac version is planned:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/127436/limbo-sells-1m-mac-version-coming
Independent developer Playdead announces the sales success of LIMBO, saying their puzzle-platforming adventure "has now sold over one million copies worldwide played by gamers in 153 countries in 9 languages across 3 platforms. This success has enabled Playdead to expand its independence by fully acquiring the company from early investors, laying the groundwork for the studio to begin developing and financing their next title." They also announce plans for an OS X edition:

Hot on the heels of this milestone, Playdead today also announced that a Mac version of LIMBO is in the works and will be released before the end of the year. For information about the game, including news of the upcoming Mac launch, visit the official website at: www.limbogame.org/.
While I appreciate it, and it definitely helped snap me out of a months-long "gaming funk," (now I'm awash in games and ready for the early 2012 "gaming depression" to set back in.  icon_razz), I just got tired of getting stuck on every other level and having to reference Gamefaq every other second to figure out how to get through a level. I don't think I'll finish it.

Playing
PC
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »

They have expanded quite a bit now. Saw them in the news yesterday and they also showed a bit of their new game although it was still clearly in a very early stage. It looked kind of like mirrors edge in the same 2d locked camera, only more puzzly but with actual 3d figures and stuff and not just black and white silhouettes this time around. They also talked about that they were very close to the one million sales but hadn't quite reached it yet, they had a over 300% profit though from the budget to what they have earned so far and they bought a lot of the old investors out.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 08:20:28 AM »

Limbo with a flashlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LfGtO3kULks

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 04:49:49 PM »

ooooo... a special edition is out now.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:58:52 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 09:41:02 PM »

Sony got greed when negotiating for this; they could have had an exclusive:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/sony-lost-limbo-deal-because-it-wanted-ip-rights

Sony lost out on the chance to release million-selling indie adventure Limbo before Microsoft because it wanted rights to the IP, the company has admitted.

Speaking at the Develop Conference in Brighton last week, Sony Computer Entertainment executive producer Pete Smith admitted that the company was in talks with Danish studio Playdead about releasing Limbo exclusively on PSN. Talks broke down, however, after Sony insisted on retaining IP rights as part of the deal.

still, if it was an exclusive you can understand them wanting the IP rights in case it took off just so they could keep it exclusive.

Because I can,
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 04:25:41 AM »

Bought this on Steam for 2.50 earlier.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on July 18, 2012, 04:25:41 AM

Same
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 01:45:03 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on July 18, 2012, 10:45:14 AM

Quote from: Misguided on July 18, 2012, 04:25:41 AM

Same

+1, that was the deal I was looking for.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: