http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 09:05:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [CG Review] Doom 3 for Xbox  (Read 940 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2005, 01:31:32 PM »

Hit the front page as always...

Questions?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 04:26:18 PM »

great review!  pretty much sums up my experience so far... except for the 15 - 20 hour part.  since i'm lost all the time (yes even in 3-ft. wide corridors), get turned around quite easily, and can't remember the room i've walked into 20 times already - well, you can imagine how much "money's worth" i get out of games! and no map :cry:,  but everything else is nearly perfect... pure gold, indeed.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 01:34:20 AM »

They did a fantastic job of porting this over.  One of the best I have seen.  And the coop is off the charts fun.  No lag whatsoever and definitely the best part of the game.  I have one question though-how do you save your progress?  Cuz if you play through a third of the game and build up a nice arsenal only to lose all of that and have to start from scratch would about ruin the experience for me.  

Also, once you get the communicae off and they tell you reinforcements are on the way, about what percentage are you in? Can't remember.  That's how far me and a buddy got tonight.  Had to quit and sure hope we can pick up where we left off.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 05:55:52 PM »

Question for anyone who has the Collectors edition - are Doom/Doom 2 upgraded at all (like the jDoom port), or does it look just like the original?
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 06:28:11 PM »

on quick glance, to me Doom II looks pretty much the same - i never played Ultimate Doom, btw.  the corridors look brighter and cleaner, so they may have "brightened" it up a bit - and, therefore the enemies are clearer - from a distance.  as soon as you get up on them though, they turn into big pixelated blobs - and there aren't a heckuva lot of pixels either!

however, that said, i know i'll be playing it and enjoying it a lot more than the N64 version, which i quit in frustration due to the controls.  the XB version supports dual analog sticks, and the character moves very fluidly and easily, which makes a gigantic difference.  i didn't go very far, so the jury will still be out.

i did take a quick look at Ultimate Doom - it's the same as, or worse than, Doom II, as far as graphics go, and the music is very, very old school.  both can be played co-op, and deathmatch up to 4 players though.  the explosions, or gas bombs (or whatever the giant green pixel cloud was) are pretty funny to watch.

good luck with your (apparent) decision, i'm glad i got the extras - i already had fun just taking a quick look! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 06:31:57 PM »

Maybe when it hits platinum....maybe...
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 07:54:30 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
however, that said, i know i'll be playing it and enjoying it a lot more than the N64 version, which i quit in frustration due to the controls.  the XB version supports dual analog sticks, and the character moves very fluidly and easily, which makes a gigantic difference.  i didn't go very far, so the jury will still be out.

I can't imagine Doom with dual analog sticks.  In the original Doom you can't look up and down, so this might be fun to pick up.  It sounds like more than just a simple port.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 08:01:01 PM »

oops, you still can't look up and down, sorry - but you can turn on a dime and look around all at the same time, still a big difference IMO.  you don't really want to look down, anyway, all you can see when you're close enough to want to do that is a pixel blob.  still, i'm having fun with it!  and really, it's only 10 bucks extra, so IF you wanted Doom 3 badly enough to spend 50 bucks, then you only need to decide if 10 more is worth it to play Doom II with two analogs. and the "metal" case is really, really nice - better than the Halo 2 special edition.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: