http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:31:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [CG] Vision of Intent for PC Gaming Coverage  (Read 3579 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2005, 01:42:33 PM »

Readers,

I'm taking steps to bolster our PC section and I'd like to know what you as readers would like to see.  Here are some thoughts of things that I was planning to integrate into our coverage or improve in the future:

PC Previews (already in place)
PC Reviews (already in place)
PC Accessory Reviews (mice, speakers, etc.)
PC Hardware Reviews (vid cards, sound, etc.)

I want to come at the hardware side with a different approach than most of the sites out there - the reviews will be more aimed at how it changes the gaming experience.  Stats and figures will play a minor role but its more important how it improves what you are already doing and how long it'll 'last' I think.  What are your thoughts?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 04:35:31 PM »

Intelligent interviews with game developers - perhaps gather questions on the forums.

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 03:06:18 AM »

I'm not really big on the idea of CG doing hardware reviews like Video and CPU reviews. Unless you plan to do something off the beaten path, I think it will be a waste of your resources.  Maybe Accessory  stuff? They still make game pads and joysticks for pcs but they hardly are ever reviewed

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 04:20:01 AM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
I'm not really big on the idea of CG doing hardware reviews like Video and CPU reviews. Unless you plan to do something off the beaten path, I think it will be a waste of your resources.  Maybe Accessory  stuff? They still make game pads and joysticks for pcs but they hardly are ever reviewed

I agree with rob. its hard as shit to get a lot of support for hardware reviews, they take a lot of resources and time to do, and there are, frankly, sites that do them to perfection.

I like the PC reviews stuff itself, my thoughts are only to get critical. It was something I tried to do more and more towards the end of my last site, and I found I enjoyed it more when I really gave the games a good hard look rather than sort of funneling everything into the averages.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 05:02:22 AM »

Honestly, PC or console, I'd like to read genuine articles about gaming.  Not interviews, but full-length timely stuff on a company, or a genre, or a graphics development.  You guys do a great job compiling the news, and it'd be nice to add more substance to the main CG page beyond the usual news and reviews that other sites do.

I've had free subscriptions to three or four different gaming mags and the writing in pretty much all of them sucks.  OXM is taking on more in-depth articles and colums, and if the tone can be kept professional (versus the "what I think about RTS/RPG/FPS gaming" that most online sites like to write -- I presume because writing them takes no real thought or skill)  it'd be an awesome addition to an already good site.  The great advantage seems that you already know your demographic, as represented in the forum.  What gaming needs is less crap designed for 13 year olds and more real writing geared toward individuals who like to game, but who aren't 15-20 years old.  We know games, and developers, and it'd be great if that knolwedge base got more reflection in the media.  I think Gamespot does a good job of this kind of writing, which is maybe why their reviews are so harsh.  

Is this a rant?  I can't tell.

P.S.  You guys gotta sell that Advanced search feature more.  I don't know why every gaming site out there doesn't have something like that - it's brilliant in its simplicity.

ANyway, that's my ramble for you.  Keep up the great work.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 07:42:05 PM »

All good input.  Let me ponder it...

Thats why I share the vision, you guys can tell me if I'm facing the right direction. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 09:05:11 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Thats why I share the vision, you guys can tell me if I'm facing the right direction. smile

/daily insubordination complete

biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 06:31:23 AM »

I would say keep the accessory reviews very short and to the point.  You can always link to the product's home page rather than putting in a lot of filler.  Honestly, I don't need more than is it so good that I need to replace my current  mouse? or If I'm in the market for a mouse, is this one of the best available.

On hardware, you might consider a focus on "budget upgrades."  What $99 can I spend that will give me the most for my money, etc.  The new high end stuff gets covered to death, but if you could consistently point out sweet spot for GPU's, chipsets, hard drives, etc. that could be useful and not found everywhere else.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 05:31:02 AM »

I'd also agree that you should stay away from hardware and accessories.  You can make quick blurbs on them, but there are a lot of other sites that do this better and it most likely won't draw much in the way of viewers.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 02:51:26 PM »

I'll agree that while I'm mostly a PC gamer, I don't think I need hardware reviews as much as I need hardware news -- When a new Video card or new processor is hitting market, new motherboard form factors and new chipsets that are upcoming, that sort of thing.  Give me a firstblush and a link and I'll be good to take it from there.

Done posting
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 08:57:56 PM »

Personally, I think GAME RELATED hardware reviews are very lacking anywhere; it could be a really good niche to fill.

I have purchased just about every quasi-stupid game controller idea out there, just because somebody wasnt there to say "hey, this joystick sucks" or "this gaming keyboard kicks butt!".

There are definitely a lot of sites that do computer hardware, like THG, and they really do a great job.  But there is still a big gap in the coverage, and it would be nice to have a one-stop-shopping place for game hardware.

Thats the way I see it, anyway.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 12:07:49 AM »

Quote from: "the Nightbreeze"
I'll agree that while I'm mostly a PC gamer, I don't think I need hardware reviews as much as I need hardware news -- When a new Video card or new processor is hitting market, new motherboard form factors and new chipsets that are upcoming, that sort of thing.  Give me a firstblush and a link and I'll be good to take it from there.

I agree with this.  Harware news is good.  The main focus though, should be game news/updates, reviews, release dates, and maybe interviews where possible.  Maybe patches and mods as well?

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 02:10:04 AM »

Echoing the same felling as everyone here about accessory reviews.

Something I would really like to see, and that I miss in CGM, is the versus. Taking a game (FPS, Strategy, RTS, etc) playing a few games and describing what your experience was, why you did this, why this move worked, etc. Kind of like what CSL was doing with X-Com but not to such a grand scale.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 04:02:46 AM »

Hm... I'd personally take the extra resources from the potential of hardware/accessory reviews and put it toward more/sooner PC game reviews -- maybe more from the indie/'shareware' scene?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 07:44:51 PM »

OK.

Here is something I would like to see, but it is somewhat off-the-wall:

How about you guys do a Ron vs. Loren type of thing on a monthly basis like they do with Bruce vs. Tom in Computer Gaming Magazine?  That article at the back of their mag every month is always the first thing I read, no matter what the rest of the mag has in it.

You could take any two staffers and do this really.  If you haven't read it, it's sort of like an After-Action-Report of the game they chose, and is usually hysterical.  Tom is the serious gamer, while Bruce is sort of the casual gamer (or vice-versa).  

I know lots of people love this type of thing, and it would add quite the personal touch to the site (although it is quite personal already).

They do it with PC Games (obviously), but I don't see any reason you guys couldn't do it with PC or Console games, considering XBox Live is so easy to use.  Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, PGR2, Mortal Kombat, etc...   Really, the list of games you could pick from is almost endless.  The format they use is key.  One guy writes what he was doing, then the other guys writes.  It's simple yet brilliant imo.  I don't know if there is any online site that does this on a regular basis, is there?

Anyway, that's my suggestion.

LD  :wink:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2005, 08:16:25 PM »

I don't read CGM, but I am willing to pick it up and look at how they do it.  I think it's a pretty good idea and one that Ron and I could probably get done every month.  I guess one of my early questions is whether people would want to see current games or months old games that we talk about (like Half-Life 2 for an example)?  I can already think of a good one for this month...Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, but that's just me thinking off the top of my head.

We hope to have the tools to make this type of thing easier to do and get formatted (without doing it by hand) pretty soon, so I think this is a good idea, but I'm looking for more information on what kind of games people would like to see in these columns.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2005, 09:31:33 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I don't read CGM, but I am willing to pick it up and look at how they do it.  I think it's a pretty good idea and one that Ron and I could probably get done every month.  I guess one of my early questions is whether people would want to see current games or months old games that we talk about (like Half-Life 2 for an example)?  I can already think of a good one for this month...Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, but that's just me thinking off the top of my head.

We hope to have the tools to make this type of thing easier to do and get formatted (without doing it by hand) pretty soon, so I think this is a good idea, but I'm looking for more information on what kind of games people would like to see in these columns.

I think this type of column would be fun. I also think guest columns, whether they are Superhiro's hilarious oddities or Rage's Ramblings could appeal to the community. I am also firmly convinced it would be a bad idea not to have me be named the official ruler of all I survey, just for shits and giggles.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 02:33:48 AM »

L -

I think any game you pick would be a hit honestly (well, with the exeption of "true" sports games, as the AAR's for them are relatively boring, even to me, a giganto sports fan.)

If you pick up a copy of Computer Gaming and look toward the back of it for the Tom vs Bruce article and read through it... you will totally get it, and see that most any "versus-type" game would work.  

For me... old game, new game, wouldn't matter.  And I think it would be a riot if you guys did it.  Trust me, if you read the column to get an idea of how it's done, you would see the possibilities are endless.

I hope this gets adopted.  I have a quasi-friendship with Tom over e-mail, and he says the feedback they get for the article is extremely positive.

Edit:  Here is a link to a pretty old one, but you can at least get the gist of how it's done.

Tom vs. Bruce Example

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 03:37:37 AM »

I would'nt mind reading a Tom & Bruce type writeup on even very old games.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 05:25:03 AM »

I want to see more reviews of naked women playing on their PCs. Er....um...that is.....oh,nevermind.  :?

Ye Olde Farte
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 03:02:26 PM »

seconded..err wait..uhh nm

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2005, 05:31:42 AM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
L -

I think any game you pick would be a hit honestly (well, with the exeption of "true" sports games, as the AAR's for them are relatively boring, even to me, a giganto sports fan.)

If you pick up a copy of Computer Gaming and look toward the back of it for the Tom vs Bruce article and read through it... you will totally get it, and see that most any "versus-type" game would work.  

For me... old game, new game, wouldn't matter.  And I think it would be a riot if you guys did it.  Trust me, if you read the column to get an idea of how it's done, you would see the possibilities are endless.

I hope this gets adopted.  I have a quasi-friendship with Tom over e-mail, and he says the feedback they get for the article is extremely positive.

Edit:  Here is a link to a pretty old one, but you can at least get the gist of how it's done.

Tom vs. Bruce Example

I must be a terrible publicist.  While I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more write ups like that here, I did create Talk Strategy to house all kinds of gaming stories including head to head battles.   I've written long columns on my site on why I believe strategy and tactical games make the best fodder for AAR's and story write ups, but to put it simply those are the games where you write the story.  Your commands and decisions dictate the course of events.  It's interesting to read about why you made each decisions often because it's not the reason I would have done it.

Talk Strategy was started off a similar discussion at Gone Gold.  I apologize if I've done a poor job getting the word out.  Please stop by and check it out.  You can click the WWW link below my sig.

Just for clarity, I would add that the Tom vs Bruce articles are in Computer Gaming World.  For obvious reasons, I think those types of articles and AAR's are a welcome addition to any site.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 08:01:24 AM »

I concur with the users wanting accessory reviews.  I want to see a database of old and new joystick, wheels, and wireless pads, which aren't reviewed often.
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2005, 11:56:27 PM »

Mice, keyboards, mouse pads, and hamsters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: