http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 05:52:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [CG] 2 hour Fable Shakedown  (Read 1301 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2004, 05:59:47 PM »

Fable was released to the public yesterday and the big question on everyone's mind is "With Peter M.'s promises being whittled down, is Fable all that it was advertised to be?"   Well, the short answer is yes.  

You start off as a young kid in a villiage living with your dad, sister, and absentee mom.  Life is simple but almost immediately you are thrown many choices that will force you to one moral side or the other.  For instance, a farmer wants you to stand by some crates and watch things while his goes and 'uses the facilities'.  Do you stand there while a group of kids trys to taunt you into breaking into the farmer's property?  Do you succumb to their taunts and break into the barrels and then run off shirking your promise to stay put?  Do you agree to stay put, go and break the barrels, and then come back and pretend like nothing happened?  Its a simple choice, but you'll find that they get far more complex later on.  Its always simple when you are a kid....

Some horrible fate befalls your family and your mother and sister are taken hostage.  You are rescued and whisked away to the Hero Guild for training.  Here is where one of the hooks of the game hits you:  A hero isn't always a good person.  Being well known, doesn't always mean being well liked.  If you a Nazi, Hitler would be your hero.  If you are a Mongol, Ghengis Khan is your hero.  If you are the guy that walks into town and everyone is terrified of you, you can say you are 'well known' or of 'high renown".  You can also walk the light path and do the right thing making people love and respect you.  To say that he game has replayability would be an understatement.

While at the Guild, you learn the three basic combat types: Melee, Ranged, and Magic.  You are given all three in the guild, so you don't have to choose between them up front.  As you progress through the game you will be able to specialize through general experience gained through adventuring or thorugh specialized experience gained by using one of the three combat types.  If you are a caster, you might specialize in destruction spells.  Practice makes perfect, so the more you use it, the more xp you can spend on it.  I've not gotten far enough to see if trying to do all three will have a negative effect, but suffice to say you'll be more powerful if you specialize.  

The graphics of the game are well done.  The screenshots don't convey the amount of detail in the game.  Each piece of armor you buy is graphically represented.  Towns feel somewhat alive, and villagers seem to carry on about their business like they should.  The whole game seems to have a haze or glow about it (which could easily go away as I slowly shift towards the horn-wearing tattoo type) which adds to the overall feel of the game.  I've not encoutered any slowdown yet, even with 10-12 enemies on screen.   This could change as we move into the higher level magic effects, but thus far its fantastic.

Loading is minimal.  For the bulk of your adventuring, you'll load an area, adventure in it for a while, and then load the next area.  You can always teleport back to the guild for new missions, so don't think you have to load 10 areas to get somewhere, and then reload them all to get back.  

The voicework in the game is very good.  Each character is voiced (even you to a degree with your emotes) and I've not encountered anybody that sounds like they might belong to a Resident Evil game.  

I've just completed my training with the guild and taken my first mission.  I've killed a bunch of wasps that were bothering some villagers.  I faced off against their queen and defeated her as well.  Villiagers came and celebrated my successes and it felt good. (Pride is a vice you know...)  I'll show the Queen's head to anyone who will look...damn right I killed her!  

We'll see what today's adventure brings...
(i.e. this will be a long running thing until the review, and perhaps beyond if you guys are interested)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 06:06:11 PM »

Thanks!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 06:20:24 PM »

I have a hell of a lot more to write, but I'm kinda time-compressed at work.  :/

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 06:30:30 PM »

I LOVE the shakedowns! Don't care if they're 1 line or 50 pages!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 07:26:51 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I LOVE the shakedowns!

Noone cares what you LOVE.

-   -   -   -   -

Hey Ron -

When you get to it, I am most interested in your take on magic, the way it is handled, if you feel rushed when casting, the spell variety, etc. etc...

Please don't skimp on describing that when you get to it.

And ditto what jacktard-01 said about the shakedowns...  I love 'em too.

Sincerely,

jacktard-02   :wink:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 07:53:51 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I LOVE the shakedowns! Don't care if they're 1 line or 50 pages!

Why is that?  So you don't have to do them yourself?  biggrin

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 02:54:52 AM »

First off - It's Captain Jacktard and you are  Irving Jacktard, my half-brother and butler at Jacktard Estates.

Second - The whole world hangs on my every whim! :wink:

Fourth, no wait.. Third - I can only shakedown sports games and even then it's like a 60 second shakedown.

Tenth - Nobody cares about magic. People just want to run around and bust heads. Prancing around the forest in a robe with a 'wand' turning enemies into snails or something is lame. Why bother getting out of bed?

Seventh - I have nothing left to say.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 11:48:42 AM »

I'm tired of playing the goody two-shoes in RPGs, so with Fable I'm going all out evil and see the darker side of things.   :twisted:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 01:29:31 PM »

Here here Nth Power!  I'm tired of being the good guy too.  

As for magic, I find that some spells you need to start while the enemy is at far range, but for the most part you can fend them off or do severe damage before they can close to melee distance.  For those foolish enough to use a bow, you can cook them with lightning all day.

I wouldn't say I feel 'rushed' as much as overwhelmed at this point.  I strayed into an area that I was quite obviously not equipped for.  I killed all the bandits in the area but it cost me every potion I had.  

I have augmented my first weapon now.  I have a Katana that has a flame augmentation.  The sword burns while I swing it and causes a little extra flame-love to the enemies I hit with it.    It'll be interesting to see if they are all simple modifiers like flame or if some will be epic-style stuff that gives you A but takes away B and makes you hideous to look at or something like that.

I wanted to also comment on the skill system.  Becoming a Magic using Assassin is really as simple as going out there and doing it.  Stealing gives you skill points that you can use to bump up your Guile skill and using magic gives you Will exp.  You can also augment those experience points with general xp. (i.e. If it costs 500 xp to buy Fireball but you have 250 Will Xp and 1000 General XP, it'll take the 250 from your Will XP and then the remaining balance from your general XP)  My goal is to eventually 'persuade' some folks to leave their shop and make me the new owner.    Rumor has it that you can slaughter an entire town and own every building.  We'll have to see about that....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: