http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 08:34:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Article]Sony patents method to interrupt your gaming with an ad  (Read 255 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »

Oh boy  eek  Roll Eyes

From Eurogamer

Sony has patented an application that interrupts game playing to display an advertisement.

The patent, spotted by a user on NeoGAF, was filed in July 2011 by Sony Computer Entertainment America. It's called "Advertisement Scheme for use with interactive content".

Here's how it works: interactive content is suspended, an advertisement is displayed, then interactive content is resumed. Sony's patent images go into better detail, and are below.

First, game playing gradually slows down. You then get a warning that the game is about to stop. You then get the ad. Sony's example is: "BEST BRAND SODA. You've got to try it!" You then get a warning that the game is about to resume. The game resumes. There's mention of rewinding the game after the ad has run its course, too.

This latest patent is actually a continuation of a patent filed back in 2006, which shows Sony is at least still interested in the tech. But, as with all these patents, it remains to be seen whether ads interrupting gameplay will ever come to fruition.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 12:16:30 PM »

That sounds like something you'd opt for, though.

In other words, a way for a consumer to get a game for cheap.  Or trying to match the streaming model for movies.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 25, 2012, 12:16:30 PM

That sounds like something you'd opt for, though.

In other words, a way for a consumer to get a game for cheap.  Or trying to match the streaming model for movies.

some people have suggested ideas,be it F2P games of the future or maybe even PS4s free online level(pay for PSN+ and don't get them)

I wouldn't mind commercials (if we do indeed have to have them)while a level loads,but interrupting gameplay would be very annoying

if its what we dread,then this could be an indeal time for MS to grab some of SONY's loyal,but knowing Microsoft of Late,they would probably come up with their own system to get around the patent icon_evil

Burnout Paradise had the best idea,with billboards showing Lynx/Axe advertisements or Obama campaigns ..but other games genre's could be tricky that way

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 01:54:54 PM »

Ads don't normally bother me, but this sounds awful.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: