http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 03:54:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [All] Skinning your consoles (and why you should do it).  (Read 859 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2007, 06:11:32 AM »

The following is a paid advertisement (NOT) via the crew of Decalgirl.comicon_wink

Why is the DS Lite only available in white, onyx, and pink (in the US)? Why is the PSP only in black (again, in the US)? The Wii white (again, only...oh, wait)? Don't you wish that your console was of a different color to individualize it? To call it your own?

Now you can.

I remember somebody else here talking about the Decal Girl site a while back, and upon realizing that the Retro Lite looked really damn cool, I decided to order it in.

A few days later, and about 30-45 minutes of work, I now have a really dang cool white DS Lite.

How well does it work? How does it look? Those questions (and more) will be answered below.

Looking at the skin once I opened it up I was impressed. This is no simple sticker, folks. Instead, it's some sort of vinyl sheeting type thing that's smooth to the touch, yet has some actual thickness (but not much).

Figuring that the piece that would go on the top of my DS' cover would be the easiest to put on, I slowly peeled the skin off and placed it on. Very quickly I realized that I can't put on a sticker worth a damn, and realized it was crooked. But don't worry - the company has you covered. If you make a mistake, just lift the sticker right back up and place it again. Still not in the right place? Repeat until you have it done right.

And the best part? The skin really doesn't leave any residue behind like the site says so. Just lift and replace. No worry about making a mess underneath.

This was when I noticed my first 'issue'. The skin, while quite thin, picks up ANYTHING that gets underneath it. So, not only does the DS logo sorta stick up through the skin (which looks really damn cool IMHO), but any piece of dust, cat hair, debris, or air bubble is extremely visible through the skin. Fortunately you can just peel the skin back up, fix whatever is wrong with it, and place it right back down again.

That done, I worked on the inside. After punching out the speaker holes of the top part of the inside, I went to work. It was at this point that I was glad I had my Hori DS Lite Screen Protector on (which I HIGHLY recommend, BTW - best one on the market, period), as the skin completely covers the 'rough area' around the top screen. That means that there is no white at all around the top screen anymore. Just skin. And it means that the skin covers the outer edges of the screen protector. There's no getting it off (or on if I didn't have it on before) now.

Then the bottom skin. That one is ugly hard, as the DS is anything but a flat gaming device. Thankfully the skin is very flexible, and the skin was designed with the DS' construction in mind. A couple of tries and it's on perfectly. Now in this case the white rough area around the bottom screen is showing, but I could see why they didn't skin it - I wouldn't want to get that close to the bottom digitizer. Why risk it?

How does it look? See the attached shots below. I for one think it looks damn impressive, and it'll really be an eye opener against those who don't have some personalization to their DS. It doesn't look cheap at all, either.

Questions, thoughts, comments? Post away.

And mods, sorry for sounding like such a shill for the company. But I'm that impressed with the skin. It's very well made and well worth a purchase. And GT crew - if you're interested in turning this into a mini-review and/or news article, I have no problem with it. Go give them more business with your readership. biggrin

Tomorrow: Why everybody should own a hermetically (I hope that's spelled right) sealed dust-free room. Or what happens when I try to install this on my PSP.

As for the shots - the first is the DS' top, the second is the DS with the title screen running (flash on), and the third is the DS with Pokemon running (flash off). Any white 'spots' you see is a result of my light source, and NOT reflective of how the skin looks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 06:43:08 AM »

You can make your own clean room by steaming up your bathroom with hot water, then letting the steam settle.  The steam takes a lot of the dust out of the air as it does.

And to prevent body particles from falling off and messing up your system, you can also take a shower, which effectively steams up the room.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 01:02:21 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 02, 2007, 06:43:08 AM

You can make your own clean room by steaming up your bathroom with hot water, then letting the steam settle.  The steam takes a lot of the dust out of the air as it does.

And to prevent body particles from falling off and messing up your system, you can also take a shower, which effectively steams up the room.

Oh, I definitely know that. But with my experience, the steam trick only goes so far. But more on that later.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 01:04:14 PM »

That's the exact skin I used.

My write up was featured on the front page of cheapassgamer.

Almost a year later and it's still on.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 01:20:16 PM »

So you were the guy who did the writeup before (as I remember this link). I didn't have any issues with the stretching of the bottom skin though (but it was a lot of work getting it to fit right). And damn does it look great.

Now I have a NES DS. biggrin

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 01:20:48 PM »

Ok I am not even going to pretend to read all past the first paragraph and read the pictures, but I am seriously thinking about buying a stupid looking mass effect or blue dragon faceplate for my 360. That kinda counts as skinning.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 02:31:24 PM »

I've looked at several sites and seriously considered a Wii decal skin, I think it would look good, easy to do, and make the Wii look a lot different.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 02:46:42 PM »

If I had a handheld I'd think about skinning it, but skinning my consoles would just be a waste since all you can see are the fronts of them in my entertainment center.  I did take a black marker to my first 360's faceplate though to make it appear solid black, but that went away when I had to send it in for repairs.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 03:12:31 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 02, 2007, 01:20:48 PM

Ok I am not even going to pretend to read all past the first paragraph and read the pictures, but I am seriously thinking about buying a stupid looking mass effect or blue dragon faceplate for my 360. That kinda counts as skinning.

Soon as my warranty expires I'm buying a full shell replacement for my 360. Probably the straight black one so it doesn't stand out so hideously amongst the rest of my A/V equipment.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 03:35:02 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on June 02, 2007, 03:12:31 PM

Quote from: Calvin on June 02, 2007, 01:20:48 PM

Soon as my warranty expires I'm buying a full shell replacement for my 360. Probably the straight black one so it doesn't stand out so hideously amongst the rest of my A/V equipment.
Please let me know when you do-my warranty is already gone (launch system replaced through...my ways...once already) and would like to have a black 360 as well. Let me know if its hard, and the costs, etc (or if you have a link shoot it my way) And hey, answer my PM about that TV you have, pretty please? smile
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 05:21:43 PM »

I responded to your thread about the TV this morning slywink

One of the websites, hardocp I think, did a review of a decalgirl replacement shell and went over installing it in pretty good detail. I'll see if I can find a link.

*edit*
I found it biggrin
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 05:23:56 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 05:32:17 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on June 02, 2007, 05:21:43 PM

I responded to your thread about the TV this morning slywink

One of the websites, hardocp I think, did a review of a decalgirl replacement shell and went over installing it in pretty good detail. I'll see if I can find a link.

*edit*
I found it biggrin
Responded to your response in the tv thread! Thanks for the link-looks like Hard is finally back up, been down for ages.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: