http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 04:38:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [3DS] Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars  (Read 1609 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2011, 12:53:58 AM »

this one wasn't even on my radar for the 3DS; it's a turn based tactical Ghost Recon game set in what looks to be the same timeframe as their upcoming Future Soldier game, but this preview made me sit up.

Julian Gollop who developed revered games like X-Com and Laser Squad Nemesis, and is working with the Ubisoft Sofia/Bulgaria team on Shadow Wars

damn, there's someone with some decent experience behind this one instead of a quick cash in on the name.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:50:13 AM »

new trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4j83uymhN8&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 02:28:41 AM »

Seeing that made me think how much I'd like to see a metal gear acid title on 3DS. Looks pretty cool. Not sure it's something I'd run out and buy new, but I'd cerainly try a demo.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:15:43 AM »

Still interested.  Still want more information.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 08:21:03 AM »

a video walkthrough.

Because I can,
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:45:55 PM »

Just watched the video and it looks great. I enjoy this type of game though they tend to ramp up in complexity or difficulty to where they feel more like work than fun for me.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:43:48 PM »

Here's a review from GamesTM: 8/10

Shadow Wars could be criticised for not making any genuinely innovative steps forward in the strategy genre. But what it does do integrating just about every conceivable feature of turn-based strategy into a single cohesive whole is enough to make it one of the best handheld titles of its kind in years, and a surprising jewel in the 3DS launch line-up.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 03:35:49 AM »

that sounds fun.  when i do break down and get one i'll be sure to look it up. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 10:06:35 PM »

been playing a bunch of this today.  I've gotten through about 4 missions so far, and I admit I've been playing on rookie to get used to the mechanics and not end up walking away from it.  I may bump up the difficulty since you can change it for each mission, and I'm finally getting used to what the different colors on the map mean when moving and firing plus the effect of elevated terrain and cover that I shouldn't end up with a clusterf*ck on my first try at the next level.

Because I can,
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 01:48:12 AM »

Not getting a 3ds for a long while as I have too many ds games to still play (so I tell myself)

Must resist this game....why cant it have a ds version?! Why must they toy with my gaming weakness?! smile

<Hugs his dslite and psp to let them know there are no others>

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 01:51:41 AM »

gah!  almost finished with a mission, about to complete the last objective, and BAM! the game gives me an error and I have to restart.

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 03:55:06 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 28, 2011, 01:51:41 AM

gah!  almost finished with a mission, about to complete the last objective, and BAM! the game gives me an error and I have to restart.

Whoa!  That's not good.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 07:57:24 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 28, 2011, 03:55:06 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 28, 2011, 01:51:41 AM

Whoa!  That's not good.

That raises an interesting question: Can 3DS games be patched?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 08:11:06 PM »

I've played through the tutorial mission as well as the first 3 regular missions in this game now, all on the highest difficulty. It's been a lot of fun so far. You never seem to be fully aware of your objectives at the start of a mission, and receive them only after certain criteria have been met. For example, in the second mission your only objective as you start is to have your only troop, a medic, reach cover in an empty house before a bunch of soldiers converge on her and kill her. Once you get there, you get a new objective: Defend the house and stay alive. Once the attack has been stopped, a specific soldier in your team must plant a bomb at a certain spot on the map. Once that is done, all your troops must escape the map in a certain direction. All the missions I've played so far have been like this, with additional goals popping up depending on circumstance (for example: in one mission my heavy trooper was wounded, and I received a secondary goal to heal him fully, which earned me a star to spend on unit upgrades after the mission). The whole thing is very tactical and requires careful planning, at least on the highest difficulty.

The people who say that the 3D effects don't add anything to this game are jaded as hell. The graphics are bland in 2D mode but look a lot more compelling in 3D. Effects like dust blowing through the air suddenly look a whole lot better when that dust clearly isn't just dragged around a 2D-terrain but actually flies above it. Cover and heights are easy to spot with a third dimension available to you.

Even though I get somewhat dizzy from playing with the 3D on for a while, I can't see myself turning it off.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 02:52:56 PM »

Still playing and enjoying the game, even if nobody else bothers to talk about it. slywink

I think I'm 6 or 7 missions in now, and I'm still at the Elite difficulty (the highest). It's getting tougher, but nothing ever feels impossible. The last mission I was on was the first one where I ended up aborting and retrying because I chose a bad strategy, but once I tried a different approach, what seemed like nearly impossible suddenly got much more manageable. The enemies I was up against were about level 11, while my own men were level 4 or less, so Elite certainly doesn't skimp on the challenge.

I'm at the point in the campaign where I have access to all 6 squad mates, and I'm able to start unlocking the second "tier" of abilities for each of them. I'm even able to call in air strikes under certain conditions. Everyone except my sniper now have secondary attacks. These are mostly grenades (handy!), but one has a portable rocket launcher and my scout has a knife that deals insane damage. Upgrading is done through stars that you earn for achieving objectives. Most of the stars I've earned so far have been through objectives that were mandatory for mission success, but there's the occasional one that is awarded for achieving secondary objectives. For example, one mission I was on had me taking down two mobile SAMs in an occupied town. A small group of policemen were holding the town hall against the invaders, but they were going to get slaughtered quickly on their own. My secondary objective was to help them survive, which forced me to move far more quickly through the town than I otherwise would have and yet I still only made it in the nick of time. It was worth it since I received a star for my effort, and the surviving policeman even joined me as a playable character for the rest of the mission.

So far I highly recommend this game. There's been a lot of criticism over the lackluster launch titles for the 3DS, but Ghost Recon certainly delivers.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 03:11:20 PM »

Yeah, I have really been enjoying it as well, but am only up to about the 5th or 6th mission.  I do like their use of 3D in the game (especially the smoke) and the gameplay is interesting enough.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 03:17:49 PM »

I keep meaning to fire it up, but I keep getting trapped in Sunnydale.

Because I can,
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 07:24:31 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 01, 2011, 03:11:20 PM

Yeah, I have really been enjoying it as well, but am only up to about the 5th or 6th mission.  I do like their use of 3D in the game (especially the smoke) and the gameplay is interesting enough.

+1

I think the use of 3D in this game shows off how to implement it as an excellent graphics boost, not a gameplay feature.  It looks great and makes otherwise just "okay" graphics really pop.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 07:55:36 PM »

This is an excellent game, but not a genre that usually grabs me, unfortunately.  I'm only three missions in.  I also feel like I have to have enough time (and attention) available for the whole mission, and that just hasn't happened enough.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 01, 2011, 07:55:36 PM

This is an excellent game, but not a genre that usually grabs me, unfortunately.  I'm only three missions in.  I also feel like I have to have enough time (and attention) available for the whole mission, and that just hasn't happened enough.

I tend to keep my 3DS in sleep mode with Ghost Recon active. I'll start a mission, play a few turns (perhaps enough to reach an objective), then close the lid and take a break. Later I'll open it up again, play a few more turns, then close it. Sometimes I play longer sessions. I find the game works really well for this kind of approach. You can also save mid-mission if you want to play something else.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 01, 2011, 08:03:39 PM

I tend to keep my 3DS in sleep mode with Ghost Recon active. I'll start a mission, play a few turns (perhaps enough to reach an objective), then close the lid and take a break. Later I'll open it up again, play a few more turns, then close it. Sometimes I play longer sessions. I find the game works really well for this kind of approach. You can also save mid-mission if you want to play something else.

It's more that I feel the need to play a mission in one go.

Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 12:02:44 AM »

In theory you could also take quick notes about what you were doing on you mission if you know you need to walk away for a while.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 01:16:17 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 01, 2011, 09:23:31 PM

This goes against any kind of handheld gaming logic.  These games should all be about picking them up for as little as 10 minutes, but being able to put them on pause easily so that you can pick them up for another 10 minutes later.  Now, you could argue that they should develop a mission to be done in 10 minutes, but that isn't really enough time to get something good going.  I understand your comment about the genre not being to your tastes, but it seems a little silly to not play a game just because you feel you have to beat the entire level in one sitting.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 05:21:30 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 02, 2011, 01:16:17 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 01, 2011, 09:23:31 PM

This is an excellent game, but not a genre that usually grabs me, unfortunately.  I'm only three missions in.  I also feel like I have to have enough time (and attention) available for the whole mission, and that just hasn't happened enough.

This goes against any kind of handheld gaming logic.  These games should all be about picking them up for as little as 10 minutes, but being able to put them on pause easily so that you can pick them up for another 10 minutes later.  Now, you could argue that they should develop a mission to be done in 10 minutes, but that isn't really enough time to get something good going.  I understand your comment about the genre not being to your tastes, but it seems a little silly to not play a game just because you feel you have to beat the entire level in one sitting.

Huh.

Well, in a strategy game, you develop an overall strategy for how you're going to play through the level.  As you proceed, you keep the end goal in mind, but have to make changes as you go as new things develop.  When you stop in the middle, especially if you can't pick up the game again until, say, a day or two later, the train of thought you had gets lost.  Not to mention (and perhaps more importantly) your enthusiasm.  The levels are designed with that momentum in mind, it seems to me.  Plus there's a story.  This isn't like Civilization.

I'm not sure how the handheld gaming logic and strategy gaming logic (which seem to be at odds on the face of it) equal my being silly.

I understand there are people who like to play chess over long drawn out periods, coming back to it on and off over the course of weeks.  If I get up in the middle of a chess game, I'm done.  Not saying that I couldn't come back, look at the board and figure out my strategy or develop a new one, just that I wouldn't really want to.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:23:22 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »

Bullwinkls said: I'm not sure how the handheld gaming logic and strategy gaming logic (which seem to be at odds on the face of it) equal my being silly.
---
I feel exactly like you do with games like this. If I stop mid-mission, I have a tough time picking back up where I left off.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 09:28:04 PM »

I'm usually like that with strategy/tactical games too, but Ghost Recon is so deceptively simple and easy to understand that you'll remember what was going on within seconds after opening the screen.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 09:29:53 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 02, 2011, 09:28:04 PM

I'm usually like that with strategy/tactical games too, but Ghost Recon is so deceptively simple and easy to understand that you'll remember what was going on within seconds after opening the screen.

yeah, 'kill everything' isn't too tough to remember  icon_wink

(yes, I know there's usually more to it than that  icon_smile)

Because I can,
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 12:49:04 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 01, 2011, 02:52:56 PM

Still playing and enjoying the game, even if nobody else bothers to talk about it. slywink

I think I'm 6 or 7 missions in now, and I'm still at the Elite difficulty (the highest). It's getting tougher, but nothing ever feels impossible. The last mission I was on was the first one where I ended up aborting and retrying because I chose a bad strategy, but once I tried a different approach, what seemed like nearly impossible suddenly got much more manageable. The enemies I was up against were about level 11, while my own men were level 4 or less, so Elite certainly doesn't skimp on the challenge.

So should veteran strategy gamers start on Elite difficulty? How far into the game is 7 missions? I'm just wondering if you may hit a significant roadblock later on, or if you have already finished a significant portion of the game, and thus Elite difficulty is the sweet spot.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 08:47:23 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 03, 2011, 12:49:04 AM

So should veteran strategy gamers start on Elite difficulty? How far into the game is 7 missions? I'm just wondering if you may hit a significant roadblock later on, or if you have already finished a significant portion of the game, and thus Elite difficulty is the sweet spot.

Veteran strategy gamers should definitely start on Elite difficulty. The nice thing about Ghost Recon is that you choose a difficulty per mission, not per campaign. This means that if you encounter a roadblock you can just restart the mission with a lower difficulty, then potentially use a higher one again for the mission after the one you're struggling with.

I'm currently at mission 10 or so. There's supposed to be nearly 40 missions in the game, from what I understand. The difficulty is also said to ramp up gradually, but I haven't really noticed. There are harder enemies being introduced, but your squad gets tougher in turn.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 06:15:07 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 03, 2011, 08:47:23 AM

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 03, 2011, 12:49:04 AM

Thanks for the info TiLT. Looks like this one will go one my must buy list.

Veteran strategy gamers should definitely start on Elite difficulty. The nice thing about Ghost Recon is that you choose a difficulty per mission, not per campaign. This means that if you encounter a roadblock you can just restart the mission with a lower difficulty, then potentially use a higher one again for the mission after the one you're struggling with.

I'm currently at mission 10 or so. There's supposed to be nearly 40 missions in the game, from what I understand. The difficulty is also said to ramp up gradually, but I haven't really noticed. There are harder enemies being introduced, but your squad gets tougher in turn.

Thanks for the info, TiLT. Looks like a must buy for me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 03:52:22 AM »

I was looking around for hard info on how long this game is, and yikes.

Spoiler for it's:
it has 37 missions, lasting about 25 hours.

I've been playing one mission every day or so, at this rate it's going to be awhile.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 04:38:26 AM »

good length for a game like this.  ought to last a while.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 09:57:45 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 04, 2011, 03:52:22 AM

I was looking around for hard info on how long this game is, and yikes.

Spoiler for it's:
it has 37 missions, lasting about 25 hours.

I've been playing one mission every day or so, at this rate it's going to be awhile.

The game also tracks your total score as a percentage. Each mission may give you a set amount of medals based on the difficulty level. For example, the earliest missions give you 1 medal on the lowest difficulty, 2 on the medium, and 3 on the highest. Since I've been playing at maximum the entire game so far it gives me a good representation of how far into the game's content I am. It says I am at 11% after finishing the first 11 or so missions (the first two chapters). I assume it's also counting the skirmish missions, of which there's a good selection.

So yeah, it's huge.

I like how this game rewards true tactical thinking instead of just demanding you play one specific way to win. For example, in one of the later missions I did, I was tasked with taking out every enemy on the map (a rare victory condition actually). The twist was that the enemy controlled two command flags (each one produces 1 command point each turn, to a maximum of 20 points each) and could summon powerful reinforcements for every 6 command points they earned. This forced me to be quick. I managed to take control of the first flag reasonably quick and had a good shot at reaching the second flag one turn before the enemy could summon their second wave of reinforcements. I pressed on, using my abilities to the max, but suddenly came under intense sniper fire, flanking maneuvers and heavy fire from a trooper carrying a minigun. Every attempt I made to capture the flag quickly would end in my death, and delaying even one turn would send a new wave of strong reinforcements into my mids before I could even deal with the troops nearby. I decided to lick my wounds and do a hasty tactical retreat, seeking cover behind a group of stone fences with the enemy in pursuit. This gave me a good, defensible position but meant the enemy would be able to bring in 2-3 more waves of reinforcements. Even so, by taking up this defensive position I managed to turn near-defeat into victory by forcing the enemy to cross a large field while under fire from my sniper, and eventually getting into range of my heavy weapons guy who tore them to pieces. If things got really hairy, I had my regular soldier dude available with a rocket launcher and enough power points to decimate a small army on his own.

It was awesome.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2011, 08:16:21 PM »

I started playing this last night, after rushing the end of Layton: Last Specter to get to the end (bleh!). Played for maybe a couple of hours. I really like the game so far. I like the way information is presented. The one thing that I find awkward is if you want to specifically target something to get the enhanced movement grid, but doing so is certainly worth the effort.

But this is my kind of game: small number of units, no resource management to mess with, can easily see ranges etc. very nice so far.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: