http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 11:19:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3]Defiance  (Read 644 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:51:20 PM »

anybody heard of this one?,this is the first i have heard of it,its from the same people who did Rift

this is apparently a MMOFPS and 360,PS3 and PC people will all be playing on the same servers

there is some info on the E3 playtest here

GameInformer 1

Defiance ties into an upcoming, unannounced SyFy cable TV show. Since SyFy hasn't unveiled it yet, Trion isn't talking much about that side of the game. All we know is that the game's world and the show's universe will evolve together, where any big events in the show will be mirrored in the game. Characters from the show will also appear in Defiance, and Trion says that it's "talking about" having top players' characters possibly being mentioned in the TV show.

Defiance allows thousands of players on any of the three platforms to connect to a single server hosting a persistent open world. The gameplay is more Halo than World of Warcraft. It sports solid current-generation visuals, though nothing that compares with the Resistances or Battlefields of the world. Trion's challenge is to pull off its crazy three-platform cross-play and deliver solid gameplay. If that comes off, Defiance could be a bold step in a new gaming direction. Given the general excellence of Rift, I'm liking Defiance's prospects.

and there is a teaser trailer here
GameInformer 2

apparently,they are looking to launch sometime in 2011,so yeah take that as November release Roll Eyes

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:57:36 PM »

Yeah, its made by Trion, which makes me pretty excited. They did an awesome job on Rifts actually, so this could be interesting.

A new one
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:26:08 PM »

First gameplay clip up..

Trion Worlds has unveiled the first ever clip of gameplay from Defiance, a shooter MMO for PS3. If you donít know, Defiance is the first persistent online world that plays like a pixel perfect shooter. Unlike other shooter games where you can play co-op with 4 or 8 players at most, Defiance supports thousands of players playing together in a game that never ends. And if that doesnít raise your eyebrows just a bit, the world of Defiance exists not only in the game, but in a TV series of the same name that will air on the Syfy channel. The game and show will change and evolve together, to create an entertainment experience unlike anything youíve ever experienced. This kind of reminds me of what we thought MAG would be but better, letís hope this one turns out better than that did.

http://zoknowsgaming.com/2012/04/08/shooter-mmo-defiance-gameplay-clip/

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:54:20 PM »

I might have known anything to do with MMO means 360 gets rid

I hope MS actually start changing their rules with them for the next Xbox

as for the footage,looks decent enough,guessing there will be a F2P package?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:00:30 PM »

looks neat, the art style reminds me of the defunct starcraft: ghost
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 11:13:06 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 11, 2012, 10:54:20 PM

I might have known anything to do with MMO means 360 gets rid

the end of the trailer still says PC and consoles, and on their Facebook page they had a poll yesterday that lists PC, 360 and PS3, so I wouldn't write it off yet.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 03:56:46 AM »

Is there an actual Defiance thread besides this one? It's kind of old and meager.

Anyway, I traded for a PC code and have been playing this weekend. It's not a perfect game but there's a good amount of fun to be had. The mainline story missions are getting pretty fun, and the story is serviceable so far with a bit of mystery regarding where it will be going. Side missions are pretty bland, mostly variations on going to a spot and getting ambushed while you fetch some item. Being an MMO, it's interesting that there is never a "kill x" quest, but I think that has to do with how they work the multiplayer (more on that in a bit). There are 4 person co-op "dungeons" of a sort which are reasonably entertaining as well.

There is plenty to do between quests, time trials (driving can be a lot of fun), rampage events (like in GTA), small world events (rescue some soldiers on the road, etc.) and Ark falls, which are essentially rifts (from Trion's Rift) with guns. There are major and minor Ark falls, and even bonus rounds for minor Ark falls, just like Rifts. In a major event, you have to deal with several smaller Ark falls and then fight the big boss (pretty much just like Rift).

There's lots of achievements and they are actually worth going for because they will give you points toward leveling up or new outfits to wear. Outfits are limited to body and hat, but there seems to be quite a few of them.

Now, the criticism. The random events turn up way too much, and seem to always be the same ones in the same places. So it's like Guild Wars 2's problem with repeating events, but much worse. Ark falls will also get tiring after a while. I am not too far, so I don't know how things will change.

The game really needs a better explanation of levels and loot. I don't really get EGO level and XP, other than I get to level up my perks once in a while. There is no indication of what level the monsters you are fighting are. Guns are very odd in that you will often get loot that is not a damage upgrade but will have better reload time or other attribute. Guns have level numbers, but you can also level them by using them - not explained well at all. If you are in a quest area with another person you can do the quest together but it is unclear if monster level scales, or more monsters appear or what. Same for Ark falls - there aren't levels of Ark falls, but they might scale based on how many people are in the circle on the map. I have no idea, because the game doesn't tell you.

Inventory is handled pretty poorly. The compare method is pretty messy and you often can't compare items to anything equipped when you are shopping. Items also get stuck in inventory because they can't be sold or destroyed.

I have only played 1 round of competitive MP so far, but again, matchmaking is not explained well and I don't know if I was thrown in with people with vastly better gear or abilities than me.

So overall I am eager to move on with the story missions, but the rest of the game I'm not so sure about. I'm also curious to see how the tv show plays in, as the game takes place in California while the show is in St. Louis. Timing is also a question, since the main characters of the tv show make a cameo at the start of the game.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 04:24:33 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 28, 2013, 03:56:46 AM

Is there an actual Defiance thread besides this one?

yeah, there's one in the MMO section.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: