http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 04:32:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3]Dantes Inferno  (Read 6701 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2009, 08:04:31 PM »

Alright, played the demo last night.  It was alright but felt lacking compared to the Bayonetta demo.  I know I said in the Bayonetta thread that I would be embarrassed to play that in front of certain people, well, the first boob shot in this game would be far more embarrassing.  My gf laughed at it and said, "Really?  Is that the best most gamers can get?"  Bayonetta feels better than this game and so does both God of War games so far.  That being said, I've watched a lot of videos of this game on Game Trailers and I really like the look of some of the levels.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2009, 08:59:29 PM »

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on December 11, 2009, 08:04:31 PM

Alright, played the demo last night.  It was alright but felt lacking compared to the Bayonetta demo.  I know I said in the Bayonetta thread that I would be embarrassed to play that in front of certain people, well, the first boob shot in this game would be far more embarrassing.  My gf laughed at it and said, "Really?  Is that the best most gamers can get?"  Bayonetta feels better than this game and so does both God of War games so far.  That being said, I've watched a lot of videos of this game on Game Trailers and I really like the look of some of the levels.

The spoilerific boob shot was inappropriate, I thought.  I'm not someone who's offended by that stuff normally, and I wouldn't say I'm morally offended, but I did find it incongruous from a story-telling perspective.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2009, 09:47:19 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 11, 2009, 08:59:29 PM

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on December 11, 2009, 08:04:31 PM

Alright, played the demo last night.  It was alright but felt lacking compared to the Bayonetta demo.  I know I said in the Bayonetta thread that I would be embarrassed to play that in front of certain people, well, the first boob shot in this game would be far more embarrassing.  My gf laughed at it and said, "Really?  Is that the best most gamers can get?"  Bayonetta feels better than this game and so does both God of War games so far.  That being said, I've watched a lot of videos of this game on Game Trailers and I really like the look of some of the levels.

The spoilerific boob shot was inappropriate, I thought.  I'm not someone who's offended by that stuff normally, and I wouldn't say I'm morally offended, but I did find it incongruous from a story-telling perspective.

I certainly wasn't offended by it, but it really did make it feel like the game was trying way too hard to be mature.  IMO digital nudity is lame and really has no place in a video game.  I don't think it has/well ever actually contribute to a games story.  I think it just shows make some game makers are trying a little too hard to be hardcore.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:12:49 AM by WinoMcCougarstein » Logged

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2009, 12:11:54 AM »

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on December 11, 2009, 09:47:19 PM

I certainly wasn't offended by it, but it really did make it feel like the game was trying way too hard to be mature.  IMO digital nudity is lame and really has no place in a video game.  I don't think it has/well ever actually contribute to a games story.  I think it just shows make some game makers are trying a little to hard to be hardcore.

Well digital nudity does work in a few situations (see: Parasite Eve and F.E.A.R.)
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2009, 04:51:07 PM »

Yup, it's definitely God of War.  Since that's pretty much what I've been expecting all along, I'm not surprised at all.  But it's definitely God of War.

I'm thinking that since this is the very beginning of the game, they haven't cranked the Spectacle Meter up to 11 yet, but based on the video that ends the demo, that stuff's coming in later.  Still in on this one.  Considering getting it on the 360 because the icons on the QTEs were really hard to make out on the PS3.  I'll have to check the 360 demo to see if it's better.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2009, 05:02:01 AM »

After playing Bayonetta, this game feels clumsy and drab. I expected much more, but instead the demo made me feel like this game is simply another anemic pretender to the God of War throne.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »

There's a feature on XBL I found this morning that has a bunch of information on this game, I honestly haven't been paying attention to it so it was all new to me. I thought they did a really good job with the world and character designs, they seeemed appropriately hellish and I'm decidedly interested in seeing how this one pans out.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2010, 08:37:25 PM »

Check out Giantbomb's quick look: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dantes-inferno/17-1911/

My interest went from mild to major...

Sean Lama
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2010, 09:11:07 PM »

Since I love this genre, I'll be keeping my eye out for user reviews.  The demo alone wasn't enough to make me pre-order.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2010, 12:35:33 AM »

The story is what's starting the interest me, the gameplay itself I'm a bit weary of because I'm playing Darksiders right now and I don't need to go into another Scythe-wielding demon basher.

Did they have any of the animated cutscenes in the demo? Those looked really cool in GiantBomb's quicklook.

Sean Lama
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2010, 12:49:45 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 23, 2010, 12:35:33 AM

The story is what's starting the interest me, the gameplay itself I'm a bit weary of because I'm playing Darksiders right now and I don't need to go into another Scythe-wielding demon basher.

Did they have any of the animated cutscenes in the demo? Those looked really cool in GiantBomb's quicklook.

iirc there's a cutscene in the demo as well.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »

Finally played the demo yesterday evening and colour me impressed.

Sure this is God of War – but this time it is on the 360. I admit that I enjoyed hacking and slashing and some of the finishing moves etc etc.

I have to say that I was mightly impressed with the visuals – most notably the part when you are in the cathedral and the wall falls away from you – I was REALLY impressed with the detail and animation there. The visuals overall were really quite crisp and seemed to stand out on my TV.
I also enjoyed the part at the end of the demo when you can ride that big ‘Brumak’ looking thing.
I may make this a day one purchase.

Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2010, 06:45:55 AM »

Go to hell superbowl trailer is up.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »

meh. Not sure the trailer does the game demo any justice. I am really looking forward to playing this.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2010, 02:05:10 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 14, 2009, 05:02:01 AM

After playing Bayonetta, this game feels clumsy and drab. I expected much more, but instead the demo made me feel like this game is simply another anemic pretender to the God of War throne.

but...isnt that kinda your own fault? ;-)

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2010, 03:20:40 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 03, 2010, 02:05:10 PM

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 14, 2009, 05:02:01 AM

but...isnt that kinda your own fault? ;-)

icon_lol

First review I've seen is out.  Gamereactor gave it an 8/10

In all, Dante's Inferno is exactly what I hoped for it to be. Perhaps it's my old interest in religion and religious imagery that is talking here (not my love for 14th century poetry, which is more or less non-existent), but I adore Visceral Games' vision of Hell. With some of the most intense action in a long time, and some of the coolest bosses in many years, Dante's Inferno offers an intense experience to all the people who are waiting for God of War III. It's a good action game with some great design, even though it might be a bit too much for more sensitive people. Killing unbaptized babies, even though they have blades for arms, is not for everyone. You have been warned.

EDIT:  Oops, two more.  Still no one major, but both are positive.

Planet Xbox 360: 8.6
Being an avid God of War fan for a good part of my gaming career I had high-expectations for Dante’s Inferno, especially considering the studio’s last Xbox 360 outing Dead Space. The obvious comparisons between the two franchises were evident from the moment I booted up – the presentation was amazing and as I said before the game has a certain amount of polish to it that is always evident in titles from Visceral. Each one of the nine circles of hell was a unique gaming experience, adding something different to the overall feel of the title up to the very last boss battle. I would have liked to see a few more major, large-scale fights in Dante’s Inferno but there is always the hopeful sequel (and possible DLC). The last line in the game was “to be continued…” - only time will tell if Dante’s Inferno becomes a flagship franchise for EA but if my enjoyment of the first game is a sign of things to come I am very excited for the future. Sony Playstation owners have always had one franchise that I was super-jealous of, that being God of War, and thanks to Dante’s Inferno there is finally something of comparison available to us Xbox 360 adopters. If you are looking for a mature title that features some of the best action-adventure gameplay on Microsoft’s system look no further than Dante’s Inferno – in stores next week.

Digital Chumps gave 8.8
Gameplay Epic story and setting, with intriguing characters and a lot of entertaining combat and adventure. Expect familiar gameplay elements alongside a few cool unique ones that mix to make for an enjoyable experience with only a handful of snags. 
Presentation Visceral, impressive graphics with varied and smooth animations complimented by a nice color palette and a great framerate. The soundtrack is good, and the effects and voiceovers are even better. If anything, I thought Hell could have been a little spookier and more intimidating than it was, but Visceral still did an excellent job capturing this vision of Hell. 
Value I think this is the start of what will become a long lasting and consistently solid IP. Some very interesting DLC is already on the way and the game itself is plenty long and offers fans of the genre a ton of reason to play it at least once over. The included extra features, Resurrection Mode, the Gates of Hell challenges, and upcoming co-op multiplayer, add a lot to what already feels like a complete package. 
Fun Factor A handful of areas had me shaking my head in frustration, but the majority of the game is a tremendous amount of brutal action fun. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:31:19 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Roman

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2010, 03:39:51 PM »

looks promising. Thanks for posting the reviews

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2010, 03:54:06 PM »

Very promising news!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2010, 04:33:09 PM »

For some reason, I have it in my head to not want this game.  Darksiders borrowed from GoW with its combat, but this game just seems to be a direct copy, though not set in Greek mythology.  I just watched some of the Giant Bomb Quick Look and it basically confirms that for me.  I've got a PS3 and so I can wait for GoW3.  I will say, that I do think they added a little to it with the absolve vs. punish thing, but I just don't see this as something I would pay $60 for.  I might get it later this year if it drops in price.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2010, 04:44:52 PM »

I think some reviewers and gamers forget that not all gamers have PS3s.  There's a seemingly widespread assumption that all of us have PS3s, and that Dantes Inferno might be a good diversion until GoW3 arrives.  I don't own a PS3, and probably won't ever own one, so none of that applies to me.  I can't compare GoW to anything, since I've never played any of the GoW titles.  I also won't get offended or turned off by games that are labled as GoW clones.  If they're good games, I'm in.  There was an interesting backlash with Darksiders too, from GoW and Zelda fans (the G4tv review of Darksiders a good example).  It was almost like they were offended that the game followed or ripped successfull formulas from their favorite titles.

I would like to play the GoW series someday, but for me, even if DI is a direct rip off of GoW, it just doesn't matter.  If anything, maybe DI will inspire me to get a PS3 to play GoW3.   

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on February 03, 2010, 04:44:52 PM

There was an interesting backlash with Darksiders too, from GoW and Zelda fans (the G4tv review of Darksiders a good example). 

As both a GoW fan and a Zelda fan, Darksiders didn't bother me in any way.  As I mentioned, I felt it more borrowed from those titles (and Portal and Panzer Dragoon, etc.) than ripped them off.  Maybe it is because it is a hybrid of all those games and not just only using the GoW idea and making it dramatic and pulling it from mythology (albeit a different one).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2010, 06:10:55 PM »

Dante's Inferno pulls a little too obviously from its source, no question.

If the game is better than the demo, then I can get over that and enjoy it, but there's no question it's the most direct GoW rip off I've seen.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2010, 08:40:21 PM »

IGN liked it, for the most part.  7.5

Closing Comments
Dante’s Inferno takes a bold, visually impressive take on a literary classic and adds in an intriguing action focus to create a different kind of action title. Unfortunately, some derivative combat sequences and a shallow combo system prevent the title from becoming a truly great experience. The ending is obviously setting up a full-fledged series, but Dante’s Inferno suffers from unoriginal gameplay features that action fans have seen before, which keeps it from making its true mark.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2010, 08:41:48 PM »

While it's nice to see reviews coming out, it makes it even more annoying that Bioshock 2 reviews are embargoed.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2010, 10:31:12 PM »

I watched about 2-3 hours of gameplay from the final version on Tuesday.  I saw two boss fights.  It's God of War in Hell, with scenes and enemies designed to be offensive and grotesque on purpose.

It could be a rental for me, possibly.  Definitely not a game for the kiddies.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2010, 10:53:41 PM »

I like the art style they're going with, so I'm definitely in.  I find various visual takes on hell really interesting.  If the gameplay is very similar to GoW, that's fine.  GoW's gameplay has always been on the bland button-mashy side, and it set itself apart in the extreme gore and epic-ness department.  Dante's looks like it does the same thing, but in a different environment.  That's fine by me.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2010, 07:46:14 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 03, 2010, 08:41:48 PM

While it's nice to see reviews coming out, it makes it even more annoying that Bioshock 2 reviews are embargoed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the DI reviews were embargoed until yesterday because the game is available today in Europe.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2010, 07:57:58 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 11, 2009, 08:59:29 PM

The spoilerific boob shot was inappropriate, I thought.  I'm not someone who's offended by that stuff normally, and I wouldn't say I'm morally offended, but I did find it incongruous from a story-telling perspective.

It's funny, but the thing that seemed incongruous to me wasn't that, so much as the complete lack of blood. She's got a sword piercing her abdomen, yet there's no blood, and she looks as if she's simply resting. I found it really curious that they chose to depict her like that, looking peaceful and beautiful, even in that state. It would be interesting if there were a story-related reason for this, such as Dante's psyche simply being unable to register how horrific the scene really was.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2010, 08:43:07 PM »

Well, I am looking forward to Dante's Inferno especially since I don't own or played any of the PS GOW

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2010, 03:48:05 PM »

Gamefly is shipping this today, it's gonna be a good week with Bioshock 2 and this at home! 
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2010, 07:24:54 PM »

Well, my first attempt at using Gamefly to get a new release has proved successful!  Dante's Inferno has populated my "Games I Have Out" section.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2010, 07:57:31 PM »

As long as its even half the game God of War is, I'll enjoy it. Its going to be a wonderful companion to Bio-shock, as when I tire of Rapture and the first person mechanics, I can play some brainless action brawler, refreshing my palette for each back and forth.

The Superbowl commercial was very successful too IMO....multiple people at my Superbowl party commented "ooo whats that?"
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2010, 08:45:14 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 08, 2010, 03:48:05 PM

Gamefly is shipping this today, it's gonna be a good week with Bioshock 2 and this at home! 

drool crybaby Both Ebgames near my work and home are waiting until tmrw to sell. Was really hoping to pick this up today and play later tonight - ah well.

Roman

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2010, 09:43:25 PM »

Holy cow!  With Gamefly, they're telling me I can buy it for $43.  That's $17 off the price and it would be a new copy.

Not that I'm interested in purchasing it, but a person could definitely save money on new game purchases if they have an open slot with Gamefly when a new release ships.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2010, 09:47:38 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on February 08, 2010, 09:43:25 PM

Holy cow!  With Gamefly, they're telling me I can buy it for $43.  That's $17 off the price and it would be a new copy.

Not that I'm interested in purchasing it, but a person could definitely save money on new game purchases if they have an open slot with Gamefly when a new release ships.

Yeah I noticed that too.  Not bad!  I got the PS3 Divine Edition, I wonder if they ship you the codes if you keep it?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2010, 03:48:47 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 08, 2010, 09:47:38 PM

Quote from: MaxSteele on February 08, 2010, 09:43:25 PM

Holy cow!  With Gamefly, they're telling me I can buy it for $43.  That's $17 off the price and it would be a new copy.

Yeah I noticed that too.  Not bad!  I got the PS3 Divine Edition, I wonder if they ship you the codes if you keep it?
I've never bought one that did, but I am curious about this too as I have ME2 out from them. Obviously, I'm a little hesitant with a $15 card though, so I'm waiting until the buy price drops a bit.

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2010, 01:57:47 PM »

Toys R' Us is offering a $20 gift card on any future purchase today from 10 AM - 2 PM EST on purchases of Dantes Inferno, FYI if you're interested in picking it up and haven't pre-ordered.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2010, 03:31:56 PM »

friggin' Yanks and your deep discounts!  crybaby disgust

I am looking at 69.99!!! At least I have $100 on a trade in credit.

Roman

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2010, 06:10:10 PM »

just got back from lunch with the 360 version. PS3 version looked nice with all the extras - but I like the 360 controller better.

Might try to play this evening - although after playin MW2 last night until 1ish I am pretty beat today.......

Roman

Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2010, 06:41:16 PM »

The ONE time I decided meh I'll just preorder it on Amazon... We get a boatload of snow on release day. That UPS drive better frakkin put the chains on his truck.  crybaby
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: