http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:08:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3]Catherine  (Read 3991 times)
Zarkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 02:35:15 PM »

Vincent made a cameo in Persona 3 Portable, talking about his pregnant girlfriend.  Supposedly this takes place 6 months before Catherine, but I could be wrong.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »

It's all pretty connected, which is a nice touch.

http://www.destructoid.com/catherine-the-final-preview-yes-it-s-easier--206007.phtml

No mention of a Very Easy mode, but it's a good sign to read of all the difficulty tweaks. Not sure if they made it into the demo.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2011, 01:51:46 PM »

IGN's review is up.  9.0

Closing Comments

As if it wasnít already obvious, I loved my time with Catherine. In many ways, I was completely blown-away by it. While Iím sure some gamers will be turned-off by its anime-style presentation and difficult gameplay, I implore those of you who are looking for something authentically different and outright fun to give Catherine a go. This isnít a game just for puzzle fans or just for those who love anime. This is a game that melds so much together and is so different than anything else on the market that itís for just about anyone who really loves games.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 03:31:39 PM »

I suspect I would love the story of Catherine, but the puzzle-based climbing doesn't look like my cup of tea at all. icon_frown

-Autistic Angel
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2011, 05:31:34 PM »

Is it ALL just reverse Q*bert? Nothing more to the game than that?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2011, 06:51:59 PM »

Quote from: Devil on July 15, 2011, 05:31:34 PM

Nope, no Persona-like social interaction or interesting story or anything like that.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 15, 2011, 06:51:59 PM

Nope, no Persona-like social interaction or interesting story or anything like that.

Did you play the game yet?

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on July 15, 2011, 07:42:25 PM

Quote from: The Grue on July 15, 2011, 06:51:59 PM

Did you play the game yet?

Sorry, forgot to turn the sarcasm sign on. slywink  Just trying to make the point there is more than puzzles.  In fact, if the puzzles aren't your thing, that is what Very Easy mode is for.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2011, 10:34:34 PM »

I played the demo right before I wet to bed. I loved what I saw, with the exception of being unable to completely rotate the camera when climbing. More than once my character went "behind" the camera ad I lost my bearings.

I'm not sure if I missed a way to fully rotate the camera during my quick playthrough, but that is an absolutely horrible design decision if true.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2011, 12:14:28 AM »

I played the demo right before I wet to bed.

i liked the demo too but man youre REALLY getting into the spirit of the game huh? smile (this will only seem sliiiiiiightly less than juvenile if youve played the demo)

also i think im in devils boat as far as not liking the "puzzling" - i think even with a "very easy" mode id be dreading every instance of it.  which is a shame because the other 2/3s of the game seem VERY interesting (cinematic story and quirky social interactions).  sort of makes me that much more appreciative of what puzzle quest did.  im a gamer who never got into the whole bejeweled / hexic / etc etc etc so its rare that i enjoy a game that incorporates that.  also - reverse qbert = hilarious
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2011, 03:45:04 AM »

I played the demo.  I can't remember the last time a demo turned me off of a game this much.  I didn't like the writing or the story.  Pretty much all the characters were unlikable.  They weren't even unlikable in an interesting way. 

I didn't like the puzzles either.  Conceptually it's not bad, but it's not the type of puzzle I like.  I did feel like I was fighting the controls and the camera too much.

Needless to say, I'm out.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 01:28:23 PM »

It's like someone at Atlus made a bet to see just how crappy a game mechanic they could use sex to sell.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 02:13:11 PM »

I'm in for this, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be half price within a month, so I might wait to get it.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 08:46:08 PM »

I guess opinions differ greatly for everyone in respect to Catherine but the game is about a lot more than sex and it certainly has, in my opinion, a VERY fun game mechanic.  It has gotten stellar reviews for its addictive game play, amazing art, an excellent soundtrack, and a great storyline.  To quote 1up.com, "One of those rare games whose M rating means mature, not just "mature."

From 1up.com

Catherine surprised me. Plastered with scantily clad ladies and come-hither artwork, Atlus' marketing materials make it look like yet another sleazy, pandering gal game from Japan. The reality of the game is far different, and considerably more nuanced. It's sometimes sexy, and it's often sexual, but it uses its "adults only" tone in a genuinely adult way. The closest thing to explicit content comes in the form of a terrifying abomination ripped straight from Gerald Scarfe's sketchbook for Pink Floyd's The Wall. When Vincent isn't climbing boxes to escape a grisly death, he's hanging out with his friends at his favorite bar, trying to keep his life together, or contemplating the challenges of love and the responsibilities of adulthood. This isn't a game about saving the world or even necessarily being a hero; rather, it's about sorting out the mess one man has made of his life and determining how his own situation fits into the tangled web of his pals' and fellow bar patrons' lives. It's a game about intimacy, and the intimacy of its scale reinforces that theme by focusing on the seemingly trivial concerns of a small cast of normal people. Catherine is a lot less titillating than its packaging wants you to think, and that's a good thing.

http://www.1up.com/reviews/catherine-review

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2011, 02:30:08 PM »

Guess everyone who already got this died in their sleep and are unable to post impressions?

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »

Seems like I've heard a few people saying they're getting this on the PS3 for the better d-pad.  I played the demo on the 360 and didn't have any problems using the analog stick instead of the d-pad.  Was I missing something about the controls? Why would you use the d-pad vs the analog stick?

ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2011, 02:47:29 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 27, 2011, 02:40:00 PM

Seems like I've heard a few people saying they're getting this on the PS3 for the better d-pad.  I played the demo on the 360 and didn't have any problems using the analog stick instead of the d-pad.  Was I missing something about the controls? Why would you use the d-pad vs the analog stick?
More precise I guess since he can only move in 4 directions?

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2011, 03:15:19 PM »

I'm still worried about the "punishingly difficult" block puzzles in the game and just how much the new "very easy" difficulty level may offset that. The demo really turned me off to the puzzle aspect of this but the other persona-esque gameplay has me interested.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2011, 06:51:32 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 27, 2011, 02:40:00 PM

Seems like I've heard a few people saying they're getting this on the PS3 for the better d-pad.  I played the demo on the 360 and didn't have any problems using the analog stick instead of the d-pad.  Was I missing something about the controls? Why would you use the d-pad vs the analog stick?

i died literally 10 times because of the fucking 360 dpad. it's terrible. it kept going the opposite way I wanted it to. will probably just play with the analog stick from now on.

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on July 27, 2011, 03:15:19 PM

I'm still worried about the "punishingly difficult" block puzzles in the game and just how much the new "very easy" difficulty level may offset that. The demo really turned me off to the puzzle aspect of this but the other persona-esque gameplay has me interested.

you can switch between difficulties at the stray sheep. I wouldn't worry. Play on normal, switch to easy if you get absolutely stuck. That's my plan. I never saw a very easy mode.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2011, 07:04:50 PM »

Very easy mode command is in the manual. Hold the back button while having the easy difficulty selected

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2011, 07:13:39 PM »

what's a manual?  Tongue

I honestly don't think it's needed though. Easy has unlimited retries anyways, that's all you should need imo. The game teaches you how to deal with situations with showing you different patterns. Obviously you can use them whenever as they aren't really "learned", but more shown to us, the players. I've only played a few hours though.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »

Is there any way to turn down the music or turn up the voices?  The swell drowns out the narrator sometimes.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2011, 02:48:30 AM »

Love the game so far. Hate that bell but I understand why its there. To drive your nerves crazy.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2011, 08:54:47 AM »

Quote from: Scoop20906 on July 28, 2011, 02:48:30 AM

Love the game so far. Hate that bell but I understand why its there. To drive your nerves crazy.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG, DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2011, 11:00:08 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on July 27, 2011, 07:04:50 PM

Very easy mode command is in the manual. Hold the back button while having the easy difficulty selected

Turns out the manual is incorrect, you need to hold down select/back while sitting on the Golden Playhouse menu item.

Oh, and you have to repeat that each time you start the game. For that, you get extra "energy drinks" from what I've read.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:44:01 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2011, 10:34:14 AM »

well i'm close to the end now and the story is taking some interesting turns.

I hate the boss battles in this game. It's the only thing really not fun. It's less about solving the puzzle and more about just trying to not to die. It's frustrating because you have almost no time to think and if you mess up that's it. The other puzzles are much more fun because you have to think them through.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »

Tried the demo for this, and I think I'm going to pass...at least at the $60 price point.  I have the feeling it would be alot like the Persona games, where I love the story/social interaction, but don't like the actual gameplay (puzzles, in this case).  Might pick it up down the road sometime though.

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2011, 01:13:59 AM »

finished today. the ending sort of dragged on about 2 hours too long. i got a satisfactory ending, so not sure I want to play to see the other side. at least not right now.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2011, 03:01:01 AM »

Any idea how long it took you?

-craig

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2011, 04:31:42 AM »