http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 05:50:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3] Silent Hill:Downpour  (Read 1843 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2010, 02:59:38 PM »

Silent Hill returns, or should I say we return to Silent Hill.  it looks like they're not doing the non combat style of the recent Wii release and hopefully are skipping the combat vet aspect of Homecoming (which I skipped due to impressions from around these parts).

the variable side quests aspect sounds neat, I don't recall if the others had that since I have never replayed one of them; then again SH2 may have been the only one I finished.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:50:55 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 01:36:46 AM »

Now, I'm someone who thinks the combat vet returning to silent hill could have been a good premise as any for a silent hill game, but Homecoming was just your bog average rehash of all the regular silent hill monsters than its own proper game that explores how torn up inside a soldier returning from war can be.

If you think about it, PTSD ridden soldier is perfect fodder for the madness that is Silent Hill.

Of course, this one looks good too, it's an escaped convict that's now trapped in silent hill, and apparently you can fight back using improvised weaponry, or you can run as well. I bet you they track how often you run away as one of the factors that determines your ending (and likely what crime you committed to get in jail).
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 10:24:45 AM »

i need to get back to Homecoming..i know i was liking it about 3-4 hrs in,but it took me the whole game to find a certain amount of bullets and i pretty much had to use them all against one enemy and it pissed me right off,and didn't go back to it..this would be one of those games where i wouldn't of minded to of stuck it on easy difficulty,just so i could squeeze the story out of it..but there was no difficulty adjustment on the game

i am also guilty of liking all the other SH games,even The Room and Origins...other people have said they are crap,but i never understood that,i loved them

number 2 is the best,but i think number 3 was my least favourite(not included the dabble i had with Homecoming) IMO

still waiting for SONY Europe to stick Silent Hill 1 back up on PSN,it was up for 2 days and before i had chance to buy it,they took it back down...that was about 2 years ago crybaby

haven't tried Shattered Memories

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 03:51:14 PM »

well it's official called Silent Hill: Downpour, and is supposed to be featured in February's GameInformer.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 02:22:10 AM »

some more small details: side quests and a return to the more traditional camera.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 03:35:44 PM »

whole bunch of screenshots (plus some concept artwork) released. They're also saying Fall 2011 (no surprise there).

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 03:48:28 AM »

want to design a creepy burial sculpture?  if it's creepy enough it could be in the game.

Because I can,
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 06:54:36 PM »

I'll be waiting on gameplay reports on this one.  SH2 was one of my all-time favorite games, but SH: The Room did nothing for me.  I got stuck fairly early in the game and didn't have enough interest to keep playing.  If Downpour is more like SH2 (and those screen shots make it at least look that way), then I'll be watching this thread to see the comments on the difficulty of the game.  If not tooo bad, then I'd be IN!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 03:02:04 AM »

not quite Downpour related, but here's a teaser for short fan made Silent Hill film called The Confined: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVRHkIZCdnI&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:04:00 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 11:41:38 PM »

some new screenshots came out today.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 01:51:51 AM »

I'm in the boat that loved and stopped loving the series at SH2, I'd love for either the RE series or SH to bring back my love for the genre.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 01:24:58 AM »

30 seconds of gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jwNpIGRcig&feature=player_embedded

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »

and apparently it's been delayed until Q1 2012.  my October gaming bill is becoming smaller and smaller......

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 07:34:24 PM »

sounds like we'll finally see this on March 13th, it being one of 3 Silent Hill releases that month eek

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 11:20:59 PM »

dumbasses how rich do Konami think we are? the January release date for Silent Hill HD collection was perfect,there is nothing out!!!,now its due on March the 6th the same day as Mass Effect 3. Roll Eyes

while i will be struggling to get both Silent Hill HD collection and Mass Effect 3 at the same time,that means SH:Downpour the week after will have to do one,and its a good job i am not intending on buying a vita for their(terrible sounding)top down Co-Op SH game

so i will have to wait until a price drop happens for Downpour,the HD collection takes higher priority over that

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 08:47:15 PM »

Need to push it out before the fiscal year ends march 31th. icon_lol
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 12:26:52 PM »

Destructoid-8.0

It pains me to say that the bestiary is not exactly enthralling, either. Gone are the perverse animated Giger paintings that infested earlier games; gone is the sickening symbolism that past monsters brought with them. Instead, Downpour prefers rather literal and infinitely more mundane beasts, such as mutant prisoners and giggling ghost women. So much imagination went into Downpour's environments that it's a little disappointing to see an unvaried host of humdrum adversaries that could easily have populated any other game. They can be capable of providing a fright and are certainly intimidating in numbers, but they're disappointingly ordinary all the same. One expects a higher class of nastiness in Silent Hill.

At the risk of complaining too much, I should also add that Downpour would have benefited from a way to distinguish between weapons and other items, such as med kits or notes. An icon flashes for everything you can pick up, but it's the same icon no matter what type of object it is. This proves problematic because Murphy can only carry one weapon at a time, which leads to exasperating moments where he keeps dropping a fireaxe and swapping it for a ketchup bottle. Using another button for non-weapon pickups, or at least a separate on-screen prompt, would clear up the confusion.

Gamespot-7.5

Of course, combat isn't all you do in Downpour. The town of Silent Hill has a touch of open-worldness and is filled with puzzles and side quests to discover. The side quests are well tailored to the game's setting and imply there was once life in this desolate town. They include investigating a domestic murder, searching for a missing child, and venturing inside a collection of historic films. These optional quests are a smart addition and encourage, as well as reward, exploration

Gamesradar-7

As much as Downpour managed to win us over in its later acts, we should point out that our play-through was buggy, with significant stuttering and lag whenever the game auto-saves. It's a nuisance more than anything else, but it's still infuriating when it happens.

IGN UK-4.5

The most frustrating thing about Silent Hill Downpour isn’t the lousy combat, dull exploration, or even the technical gaffes. It’s the fact that every now and then while playing through the game’s story, you’ll see signs of brilliance; sunlight hinted from behind the overcast sky. From the Otherworld sequences to the interesting protagonist as well as the way the very town itself is molded to Murphy’s past all make for a game that could’ve really been something special for the series. However, all of the aforementioned issues play their role in making Downpour an unfun, disappointing experience.

does that IGN quote even make sense,or am i reading it wrong...it says the most frustrating thing its not [lists faults],then says it could of been great but because aforementioned faults...wait a minute you just said its not them

Eurogamer-6

With nothing truly thrilling in store, this is still a stoically acceptable video game. It may not shock you, but it can at least build a thick, oppressive atmosphere as the relatively clever plot keeps twisting and the grot and grime pile up and threaten to choke you. It can't handle fear - but it does a neat line in mild intrigue. Silent Hill: Downpour won't freeze you to your seat, but it will probably keep you playing to the end.

CVG-7.0

Downpour desperately wants to beSilent Hill 2, going as far as playing its music on its radios - the DJ is ripped from cult road movie Vanishing Point, for some reason - but it just doesn't understand. Downpour tries slow-burning tension and manages slow. It tries mystery and manages a lack of decent signposting (hilariously, even in a task that involves ribbons as signposts). And it tries foreboding and manages silly.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:31:49 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: