http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 02:15:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3] Record of Agarest War  (Read 1231 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2010, 06:34:08 AM »

uh.. wow, that's one interesting limited edition.  and this here debut trailer (nsfw) has me chuckling so hard I may give this SRPG a shot.

from Amazon's item description:

Product Features

* The fate of Agarest is in your hands, as well as your reputation with the ladies. Use the Link Gauge to track how your actions may alter the future world and Affection Rating to monitor how the female characters of the game feel about you.
    * Limited edition bonus items include: Limited Edition packaging, soundtrack CD, 26" x 20" Yearning Ellis pillowcase, 8.5" x 10.5" Sensual 3D Vira-Lorr mouse pad.
    * An epic strategic RPG with ginormous gameplay time, Record of Agarest War spans over 100 hours of gameplay, not including side/bonus missions.
    * Tired of just living through one lifetime in typical RPG titles? Then witness the Soul Breed system. Choose a bride at the end of your adventure and give birth to the hero of the next generation.
    * Perfect collaborative attacks by positioning your forces on the battlefield and wait for the right moment to string together massive combo attacks using multiple party members¿both in melee and at ranged attacks.

[edit] sounds like this is going to be on the PS3 too, but it's only available through PSN as a download?  is that right or did that change?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:38:00 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 01:28:31 PM »

Guess that answers the question of whether or not I'll be giving this one a try.  Pretty sure I'd be sleeping on the couch if Mrs. Gratch saw me playing that.  

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »

They do realize that neither Microsoft or Sony (or Nintendo for that matter) would authorize such a game on their consoles, right? And it would NEVER show up in stores because of the ESRB rating it would get.

Nudity is one of those 'evil' taboos you just don't cross in the US.

EDIT: Unless it was just cleavage shots, instead of total nudity, like the comments in the video suggest. Then that passes, even though we all know what's being held underneath the smallest of string bikinis.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 03:07:01 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 18, 2010, 01:33:42 PM

They do realize that neither Microsoft or Sony (or Nintendo for that matter) would authorize such a game on their consoles, right? And it would NEVER show up in stores because of the ESRB rating it would get.

EDIT: Unless it was just cleavage shots, instead of total nudity, like the comments in the video suggest. Then that passes, even though we all know what's being held underneath the smallest of string bikinis.

It's being released in US stores next week.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »

imported it (from europe) a few months ago, &'ve played it for a few hours - not so bad, but the graphics would've worked much better on the psp...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 05:48:42 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 18, 2010, 03:07:01 PM

Quote from: Destructor on April 18, 2010, 01:33:42 PM

It's being released in US stores next week.

I don't think there will be actual nudity, that's just part of their advertising campaign.

Because I can,
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 04:24:56 PM »

So a couple of local stores have this. I'm a whore for SRPG's and the limited edition is rather funny. I showed my wife last night (she is Japanese) and she just about laughed herself silly. So worth it? Can anyone comment on the gameplay? One of my favorite games is Disgaea - is it close to that at all?

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 08:03:45 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on April 29, 2010, 04:24:56 PM

So worth it? Can anyone comment on the gameplay? One of my favorite games is Disgaea - is it close to that at all?

can't, in fairness, offer an opinion on the gameplay - it's pretty standard, slightly tweaked (the mechanism for group attacks) srpg gameplay, at least early on. i will say, what with disgaea being one of my favorite games, too, that the game seems to be seriously lacking in charm/personality - the conversations/graphics are pretty flat (unlike the female characters smile ), & the setting's just not all that imaginative...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 10:52:39 PM »

I picked it up. What a laugh the packaging is. The mousepad is very um, comforting. LOL!  I guess I should go check out the game as well.

Vikki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 03:04:46 AM »

Big SRPG fan here, anyone have some gameplay impressions yet?
Vikki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 01:13:06 AM »

IGN review is in and it received a surprising solid 7.5

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1087903p1.html

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 01:37:27 AM »

On my way via Goozex now. From what I've heard it's actually a pretty decent SRPG. I haven't played one in forever (maybe since Fallout: Tactics?) so it'll be a nice change. Plus, I'm an anime fan so I'll probably be amused rather than put off by the other stuff.
Crusis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 02:08:56 AM »

The graphics aren't that great but the interface, menu's and pop up characters are very crisp. I can't really comment on gameplay except to say that it is a decent SRPG. I honestly don't care about the dating sim side. My wife and I are still cracking up at the game content and cut scenes. Ah - crazy Japanese games. Love em!

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 12:11:31 AM »

decided to get back into this while waiting for 3d dot heroes. man, this is a pretty dense little game! - not to mention it looks like it could go on forever! smile the combat's fun, but i can already feel myself getting a little bored with the story/conversations, &, with no ability to alter you party's skills in sight so far, it's feeling a little repetitive as well...

over-all, tho, a better-built game than i initially gave it credit for (& one definitely having the potential of being a major time sink). just a bit on the slow side...

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 06:53:39 PM »

Planning to start this tonight. As for the slowness, yeah, the couple reviews have noted it walks you through the first generation a bit slowly but they seemed ok with the pace after that.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 08:29:20 PM »

I was checking around online last night for information on the PS3 version, turns out to be download only. A 9GB download but since it doesn't come with any fancy mouse rack, it's $15 less than the retail price of the 360's Limited Edition. The official NA site has a pdf of the 360 manual here btw, if anyone ends up downloading this. Oh, and there's seems to be a bunch of free DLC for it as well.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 08:55:43 PM »

I'd love to know what could possibly be taking up those 9 GB.  From the looks of the game, I would think it would be a tenth of that size.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 06:35:41 AM »

it's also odd since I'm pretty sure the game only comes on 1 disc for the 360.

Because I can,
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 06:54:34 PM »

Just finished the first generation. There's a bit of repetitiveness to the game and the battlefields don't really change, but I'm still enjoying it as something different. The characters are fun enough and I haven't played a strategic rpg in forever.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 07:06:18 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on May 15, 2010, 06:54:34 PM

Just finished the first generation. There's a bit of repetitiveness to the game and the battlefields don't really change, but I'm still enjoying it as something different. The characters are fun enough and I haven't played a strategic rpg in forever.

Every review and bit of feedback I've read talks about the repetitiveness, which I imagine would get old quickly - especially in a 60-hour game (from what I understand).

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 07:21:20 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure it will be... that said, I hate stopping, so I'll try to push through even if it slows... we'll see.
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 01:10:10 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 15, 2010, 07:06:18 PM

Every review and bit of feedback I've read talks about the repetitiveness, which I imagine would get old quickly

Why, yes, yes it would. smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: