http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 12:54:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/PS3] Prototype 2  (Read 2853 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2010, 08:13:56 AM »

it definitely looks like Prototype.  I never did finish the first game (yet) but played enough to say I look forward to seeing them take things to the next level.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:11:19 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 08:17:58 AM »

i also never finished it due to the stupid aircraft carrier fight.  fast boss + super block + overpowered attacks was bad enough to start with.  add in a timed fight and you get ragequit. 

i suppose now that i am ps3-less i have to at least give it a look now.  (i much more preferred infamous over prototype).

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 09:24:38 AM »

I sure hope it's Prototype. I loved the first one. While Infamous (which was released almost exactly at the same time) was a series of frustrating gameplay experiences and horrible writing, I enjoyed Prototype tremendously from start to finish.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 02:43:04 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 05, 2010, 09:24:38 AM

I sure hope it's Prototype. I loved the first one. While Infamous (which was released almost exactly at the same time) was a series of frustrating gameplay experiences and horrible writing, I enjoyed Prototype tremendously from start to finish.

Funny, I enjoyed Infamous quite a bit and found Prototype to be frustratingly bad.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 03:02:11 PM »

I'm in the InFamous over Prototype camp, too, but I would certainly welcome a Prototype sequel.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 05:27:13 PM »

I actually finished iNfAMouS but I had more fun slaughtering innocent bystanders in Prototype.  I'm looking to both sequels too, and hoping they fix the minor annoyances of each, like the camera for interior fights in Prototype.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »

i loved the first Prototype...cool story, fun open world, and totally badass combat.  the final boss battle was a pain in the ass for really stupid reasons, but i thought everything else was really well done.  i'm definitely in for the sequel icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 06:22:37 PM »

I also liked prototype, despite the frustrating boss battles.  Most of the core game was fun.  The story was good too.  If they can address some of the stupid boss fight stuff, upgrade the visuals, and make the open world stuff more interesting, they would have a winner sequel.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »

Haven't played infamous yet -I'm sure I'd like it too-  but I loved Prototype. It's dev'd by a studio in my city, so this is good news for the local game industry.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 06:36:54 PM by kronovan » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 11:32:25 PM »

There was fun to be had in Prototype, but I liked Infamous more. I don't remember it too well, but what stuck with me was the repetitive nature of side missions. Flying was fun, and stealing tanks (and mowing down pedestrians  ninja) and helicopters added to the firepower factor. They definitely have an opportunity to improve some of the issues in the sequel, but we'll see if they go the way of Assassin's Creed or The Force Unleashed.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 04:58:53 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 05, 2010, 11:32:25 PM

There was fun to be had in Prototype, but I liked Infamous more. I don't remember it too well, but what stuck with me was the repetitive nature of side missions. Flying was fun, and stealing tanks (and mowing down pedestrians  ninja) and helicopters added to the firepower factor. They definitely have an opportunity to improve some of the issues in the sequel, but we'll see if they go the way of Assassin's Creed or The Force Unleashed.

mowing down pedestrians was fun, but towards the end it just got a little too dynasty warriors-ish with the standard grunts.  and going through crowds of civvies or infected just felt like a reason to show off the designers "really wicked blood splatter effects".  side missions were pretty bad though.  way too stingy with the time limits and not a lot of variety. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 03:06:10 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 06, 2010, 04:58:53 AM

Quote from: Teggy on December 05, 2010, 11:32:25 PM

mowing down pedestrians was fun, but towards the end it just got a little too dynasty warriors-ish with the standard grunts.  and going through crowds of civvies or infected just felt like a reason to show off the designers "really wicked blood splatter effects".  side missions were pretty bad though.  way too stingy with the time limits and not a lot of variety. 

You say that like it's a bad thing. Truthiness!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 02:11:30 AM »

ouch... 2012.....

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 01:45:41 AM »

A new teaser trailer

Sandwiches do fix everything.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 05:22:32 AM »

I agree with pretty much all of this. Boss battles = fail. Everything else = win. It did get seriously repetitive, but I think that's mainly due to me playing the hell out of it so much that I burned myself out. So yes, a sequel is welcome. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 10:53:26 PM »

And another video stating this one is "landing" in 2012 as already posted.  Throwing people looks like fun.  smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 03:38:31 PM »

new footage.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 06:15:39 PM »

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 04:06:57 AM »

icon_confused

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 04:32:23 AM »

OK, things they need to change for 2:

NO MORE FUCKING INDOOR FIGHTS! I'm throwing in the towel at the Supreme Hunter/Rescue Dana one in the first game (and a pre-emptive fuck off to whoever says 'oh, that one was easy') because half the time my guy on screen is trying to hump the camera.

LET CRITICAL MASS POWERS ACTUALLY DAMAGE BOSSES!  same fight, I get the guy into close range and pull it off but he takes no damage.

NO FRIENDLY FIRE FOR PROTECT MISSIONS!  especially ones like where you had to protect the doc in the morgue.  I probably did more damage to the barrier than the bad guys did.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »

Whine much? The indoor missions were easy.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 03:35:43 PM »

The campaign one, where you have to destroy the 7 tanks with the monsters coming down through the roof, really wasnt easy.

A new one
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 04:49:01 PM »

I found that the indoor battles were generally easy because no one could get away from me. biggrin There may have been a difficult one or two, but it wasn't something I got notably agitated with ... the final boss battle, however, was infuriating since he never really showed any sort of effect from any attacks and IIRC, it was a timed boss battle which makes it retarded.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »

huh? But you aren't invulnerable?

I actually never completed the last boss battle - I never quite understood the critical mass thingies of whatever they were called, and I think that was what was needed there... a bit sad, since I actually loved the game.

A new one
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 05:15:01 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 04, 2011, 05:09:08 PM

huh? But you aren't invulnerable?

I actually never completed the last boss battle - I never quite understood the critical mass thingies of whatever they were called, and I think that was what was needed there... a bit sad, since I actually loved the game.
Not to the last boss, you ain't. He's bigger, badder, and when you hit him he doesn't even flinch (IIRC).

It takes place on the deck of an aircraft carrier that is about to explode, IIRC.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 05:18:33 PM »

I missed this event:

Prototype was released two weeks after Sucker Punch Productions's Infamous, a game with many similar concepts including a character with superpowers, and a large open world environment that can be traveled by climbing up buildings and gliding about the city.[24][25] This led many game critics to compare and contrast the games.[26][27][28] In his Zero Punctuation review of Prototype, Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw compared the two games point for point, and determined that he could not tell which was the better game - Prototype won on open world gameplay and combat, while Infamous won on story and side missions.[29] To decide which one was better, he jokingly stated that he'd award the best game to the team which created the best picture of the other main character wearing "a woman's bra". To his surprise, both development teams rose to the challenge, producing said images, and forcing Croshaw to call it a near-tie, edging out in favor of Infamous, though he still noted that, like their games, both images created independently were nearly equal in the themes that they included.[30]

Here are those results for those who also missed it:

Cole (inFamous) :

Mercer (Prototype) :

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:22:47 PM by Purge » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »

That's awesome!  However, it's clear to me that the InFamous team won.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 05:43:17 PM »

I dunno... Cole as Lady GaGa is pretty damned funny. slywink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 06:45:44 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 04, 2011, 03:35:43 PM

The campaign one, where you have to destroy the 7 tanks with the monsters coming down through the roof, really wasnt easy.
Yeah, that was a pain, and them the one against the soldier who had homing attacks was annoying, and then the Supreme Hunter one inside the hive was irritating.  Most of the times the Devestator attacks barely scratched him (or missed him altogether even though he was smack dab in the middle of them) and the endless steam of enemies who could run just a smidge faster than you so you were constantly getting knocked out of critical mass. I finally beat it when I discovered the APC guns did more damage to him when the showed up.

And sure enough Alex was too stupid to properly finish the job...

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »

7.0 from IGN.

Closing Comments
Having no impact is kind of the M.O. of Prototype 2. I enjoyed leveling up Heller and completing side quests, but none of it really meant anything to me. Outside of the Achievements I have for my efforts, I doubt I'll remember much of Prototype 2's sterile side missions and curse word-laden dialogue. Prototype 2 is fun, but it sure is forgettable.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »

Well, it sounds like he thought the action was actually fun and upgrading was rewarding, he just didn't like the story or characters much.  It's not as if I expected to play an open world action game for the story, so I'm not sure his review influences me much.  Still waiting to hear more impressions.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 05:57:12 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 23, 2012, 04:29:48 PM

Well, it sounds like he thought the action was actually fun and upgrading was rewarding, he just didn't like the story or characters much.  It's not as if I expected to play an open world action game for the story, so I'm not sure his review influences me much.  Still waiting to hear more impressions.

Yep - here is my review.  http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/prototype-2/

The action is indeed fun, the new upgrade system is cool, but yea...the character and story are just plain terrible.  I think my review is an entertaining read..but hey..I wrote it. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
siege

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »

I rented it from a Redbox. Never played the original but I've played Infamous and it's pretty similar. Nasty screen tearing and uneven framerate in the Xbox version but that's the case in a lot of games recently.

So far I'm digging it. The powers and gameplay overall is a lot of fun but I can see it becoming extremely repetitive later on. There is little variety in the missions. Basically they serve as an excuse to run, jump, and fly around killing things.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 11:22:13 PM »

All these comments about repetition and little story to back up the generic open-world action make Prototype 2 sounds an awful lot like the original...a game that I had a blast playing from beginning to end...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 12:54:40 AM »

im with you disarm (though i actually sorta kinda liked the story of the first game).

prototype was the first game i ever solved, then immediately started up again (either on hard or new game + - whichever let the player continue to level skills - or maybe both im not sure).  i dont know what it was about it but i really enjoyed the game.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 04:39:12 AM »

so, an almost complete recreation of the first game, this time with a black protagonist.  great.  what's next for P3, an asian who sets out to take down heller during all the flying squirrel badassery?

at least, did they remember not to bring the most hated element from the original?  end fight against a super mutant even more full of bay-splosion-nade than you atop an aircraft carrier with tons of enemies who only shoot at you and not the guy actually trying to destroy the world?  oh and there's a time limit, but you don't know it until it's pretty much too late. 

after getting a sequel to the super-powered game of 2009 that i actually liked last year, i just don't think i'll be bothering with another cookie cutter sequel.  if i did, i would go get this the last time it came out and they called it crackdown 2 instead. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »

The game seems OK so far.  I can't say I truly enjoyed the introduction hours or anything.  I find myself doing much more stealth than I would have expected in a game I bought specifically for the smashing, slicing and stomping.  I still don't think some of the actions are as smooth as they should be, like trying to grab an enemy on the run and absorbing them.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 05:15:58 PM »

I have to say, I'm enjoying tuis one more than the last one (I actually cranked through the last few missions I had for the first game on Monday, ignoring the minigames that popped up).

It feels more focused.  I also like the camera angle better.  That seems like a minor thing, but it puts me in the story more.  I'm not sure what everyone hates about the new character so much, but I like him more than the last guy so far.  He was too broody/angsty/edgy for my tastes.  I wish he hadn't jumped on board the Alex Mercer train so early.  I liked that he hated him, but it was going to get there eventually, and it explains why he has to fight the military more (though avoiding capture would have worked, too).

I'm still only on the first city area, so we'll see how it goes from here.

BTW, i'm not sure what this city is supposed to be.  At first, I thought it was NYC again, but it sure as hell is more generic than that.

Another thing that I think has been greatly improved is the side-mission/collectable mechanic.  Again, it feels more focused.  There are just enough of them to make it worth my while to hunt them down.  And there's a convenient checklist.  And I like knowing what upgrades I'll get when I find them.  Plus, using the map to pinpoint them helps me piss out the territory and get familiar with the layout.

Overall, I'm liking it a lot better.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 04:25:04 AM »

Hmm, just had a post typed out and then accidentally hit reload.  frown

Anyway, just finished the game tonight and it was pretty fun as long as you're not expecting anything groundbreaking.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »

Well, it looks like this one didn't do nearly well enough, as it appears that Radical Entertainment has been shut down by Activision.  There go my dreams of a true Hulk: Ultimate Destruction sequel.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: