http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 02:41:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3] L.A. Noire - Impressions Start Page 5  (Read 16330 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 25, 2011, 09:05:08 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 25, 2011, 08:47:41 PM

I don't think cars count towards the achievement, I think it's just property damage.

this is the achievement guide on 360a
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=310720

Public Menace 30
Rack up $47,000 in penalties during a single story case.

At the end of a case you get a rating page on how well you did. On that page it will show how much money in penalties you have racked up. There are three categories for penalties: Vehicle damage, civilian casualties, and city damage.

Destroying Vehicles seem to be worth the most money, around 1k each, so before finishing a case completely wreck at least 50-60 cars and it should be enough. Then finish the case. This cannot be done on any case from the patrol desk either, so don't attempt until you are on the case "The Driver's Seat" at the earliest.

and then it has this other thread,just for that achievement,which says its only cars that count,and also has the Fire Engine tip in the first post
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=311134

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 25, 2011, 09:37:43 PM »

I must have read the achievement wrong. Good to know.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 25, 2011, 11:49:01 PM »

one thing I keep on hoping for and getting my hopes dashed is for Rockstar to get away from heavyhanded scripting.  for example, I got a street crime where I had to chase a perp on foot.  during the whole chase, which took me through some deserted alleyways, I could not draw my gun to either get him to stop by firing it in the air or to try and incapacitate him.  Next thing I know he's got a hostage, and only then does the gun come out for me to blow his brains out.  considering the fact he was armed and already had taken some shots at the cops you'd think I'd have been able to take him down before he got to an area where he could take a hostage, but Rockstar decided I needed to do things the hard way.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 25, 2011, 11:51:52 PM »

There's a scale between 1 and 5 stars for a case.  Is there any difference between getting 1 star and getting 5 stars?  Or any of them in-between?   What is the motivation to get more than 1 star on a case besides "I got more than one star!  Woo hoo!"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 26, 2011, 12:02:52 AM »

ZOMG zombie!

Because I can,
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 26, 2011, 03:51:16 AM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on May 25, 2011, 11:51:52 PM

There's a scale between 1 and 5 stars for a case.  Is there any difference between getting 1 star and getting 5 stars?  Or any of them in-between?   What is the motivation to get more than 1 star on a case besides "I got more than one star!  Woo hoo!"

On the cases I go back and replay to get 5-stars, there has been minor differences in how things played out. One case, the first time I finished it the killer took off running and I was able to get him to stop by firing in the air and arresting him. 3-stars. On the replay, I found more evidence and was able to confront him earlier. He murdered his partner in crime and took off running. I couldn't stop him by firing in the air, so I shot him in the head when he took a hostage. 5-stars.

Other cases I've arrested the guy they clearly didn't want me to arrest, and I got 1-star. I imagine if I don't butcher those interrogations I can arrest a different person and get a better rating.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 26, 2011, 12:21:51 PM »

Okay,i got everything today

I just wish i had 'Slip of the Tongue' DLC so i could get the full 1200/1200,currently stands at 1100/1200 because i got 'The Naked City' DLC  icon_frown

anyway.....

L.A.Noire DLC news to be announced next week

Look for news on L.A. Noire DLC next week! #LANoire about 17 hours ago via web

although it could be an official announcement of June 21st DLC 'The Nicholson Electroplating Arson Case' that Best Buy let slip

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 26, 2011, 03:58:40 PM »

If I have to hear that guy talk about switching to a .45 one more time, I'm going to stop him with one round

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 26, 2011, 04:20:31 PM »

this made me grin:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 27, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »

Eurogamer have a great article Here of putting the in game faces to the real life faces

for example:

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 27, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »

I want this game. Great impressions, sounds awesome.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: May 27, 2011, 03:55:57 PM »

And our late, but awesome, review is up!

http://www.gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=1609

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 27, 2011, 04:17:31 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 27, 2011, 03:55:57 PM

good read,i can't say i had any 'invisible man' problems though..in fact the only problem i came up against in the entire game was a bit of slow down yesterday after i had finished the main game and i was going for the 47k achievement(smashing the living hell out of every car you see and then finish a case)

i think someone also mentioned the clues can sometimes be a WTF? moment..especially the torn letter at one of the crime scenes in a ladies handbag and when you find the other half in someones house Phelps says 'well that puts him at the crime scene'...i really don't see how the other half of a torn letter puts him at the crime scene myself and there are a few things like that throughout the game

also,the single save file ..there is a way round that,kind of

as soon as you finish a case,you can quit to menu and replay the case on a different save,5 star the case and then go back to main manu and resume and select the game save you left off before

i think you can have about 6-8 save positions on the 360 version anyway

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 27, 2011, 06:09:42 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 26, 2011, 12:21:51 PM

L.A.Noire DLC news to be announced next week

Look for news on L.A. Noire DLC next week! #LANoire about 17 hours ago via web

although it could be an official announcement of June 21st DLC 'The Nicholson Electroplating Arson Case' that Best Buy let slip

just to add Rockstar have said this
Next week, look out for new info on downloadable content for L.A. Noire, including the release of all the retail exclusive pre-order cases and content, along with details on new cases and the Rockstar Pass.

so quite a bit to look forward to

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 27, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »

I'm curious as to how much these extra cases will cost. A case only takes 30-45 minutes to play so I would expect each one to be no more than a couple bucks each.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 27, 2011, 09:16:35 PM »

I really like this game, the interrogation stuff is great and so is the investigation even though the going where it vibrates gameplay is really simple. The driving however feels terrible and most of the time I just let my partner drive around, the shooting is ok but nothing more and the graphics can be really terrible at times. But even with the negatives I really like it and it gives me new hope for adventure games that isn't so focused on shooting and driving all the time even though it is a part of the game.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 27, 2011, 11:19:17 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 27, 2011, 02:54:14 PM

Eurogamer have a great article Here of putting the in game faces to the real life faces

Thanks for the link...neat article.  The accuracy of the actor's appearance and animation really hit home for me when the guy who played Matt Parkman in Heroes suddenly showed up in the game.  Seeing mannerisms in the game appear exactly as I remember from that show was a pretty stunning moment...fantastic work.

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 27, 2011, 06:09:42 PM

just to add Rockstar have said this
Next week, look out for new info on downloadable content for L.A. Noire, including the release of all the retail exclusive pre-order cases and content, along with details on new cases and the Rockstar Pass.

so quite a bit to look forward to

but only if Sony gets the Playstation Store back online for those of us with the PS3 version...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:21:50 PM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 28, 2011, 12:54:09 AM »

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the most shocking discovery in the whole game:

People from that time period had to renew their licenses yearly!  Yearly?!  Dear Lord, I complain having to go near a DMV every half decade or whatever it is.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 28, 2011, 03:28:35 AM »

Game is starting to lose me. I'm only on the fallen idol case but the mechanics seem to be breaking down. Saddle that with some totally off the wall and badly fit dialog  and I'm having a very hard time navigating what the devs want me to do.

At one point a witness answers a question 'I remember waking up here. Nothing happened yesterday.'

On what planet does that make any sense, especially given the question that's posted to that witness before the answer.

Now I'm to a later witness and I go 1/4 on the questions with her because when I press the doubt button, the detective GETS ALL AGITATED even more agitated than if I accused someone of lying.

It's like what phoenix wright used to do. You have to everything as the devs want you to do it in the order that they want you to.  So, the effect of it is that I'm pulled all the way out of the atmosphere trying to puzzle solve what the guys at rockstar want me to do, rather than what really should happen.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 28, 2011, 10:40:57 AM »

Quote from: ATB on May 28, 2011, 03:28:35 AM

Game is starting to lose me. I'm only on the fallen idol case but the mechanics seem to be breaking down. Saddle that with some totally off the wall and badly fit dialog  and I'm having a very hard time navigating what the devs want me to do.

At one point a witness answers a question 'I remember waking up here. Nothing happened yesterday.'

On what planet does that make any sense, especially given the question that's posted to that witness before the answer.

Now I'm to a later witness and I go 1/4 on the questions with her because when I press the doubt button, the detective GETS ALL AGITATED even more agitated than if I accused someone of lying.

It's like what phoenix wright used to do. You have to everything as the devs want you to do it in the order that they want you to.  So, the effect of it is that I'm pulled all the way out of the atmosphere trying to puzzle solve what the guys at rockstar want me to do, rather than what really should happen.

I had the same thinking on that question too. no shit I'm going to doubt that because there must be something, no matter how minute, that person remembers. plus from what i remember they totally looked suspect too.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 06, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 28, 2011, 12:54:09 AM

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the most shocking discovery in the whole game:

People from that time period had to renew their licenses yearly!  Yearly?!  Dear Lord, I complain having to go near a DMV every half decade or whatever it is.

Here in Florida until this year when they introduced the new security enhanced driver's license, it was possible to renew by mail and later internet if you had a clean driving record. Basically they send you something to stick on the back of the old license with the latest renewal and expiration dates, plus a couple of other things. Up till about two months ago I was carrying my license issued in 1986 icon_biggrin. Got a lot of questioning looks when I presented it, and I always had to tell them to turn it over to get the latest info.  Still, I got to go a quarter-century without visiting the DMV, always a plus in my book.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 06, 2011, 05:10:01 PM »

the Collected Stories is out today, and it's at the low price of free.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 07, 2011, 04:02:03 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 06, 2011, 05:10:01 PM

the Collected Stories is out today, and it's at the low price of free.

Was wondering what was going on. I "pre-ordered" it back when we first talked about it and got the download notice this morning: $0.99 plus 3c tax for a grand total of $1.02. Just went and checked my order online and they've since refunded the dollar two.  icon_biggrin

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 15, 2011, 04:38:52 AM »

Just finished the game, and I have to say, it's the most disappointing game I played this year.  I'll expand more later, but the gameplay was tedious, and the story just fell apart at the end.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 15, 2011, 11:39:13 AM »

Quote from: naednek on June 15, 2011, 04:38:52 AM

Just finished the game, and I have to say, it's the most disappointing game I played this year.  I'll expand more later, but the gameplay was tedious, and the story just fell apart at the end.

I'm just passed the Golden Butterfly and wondering if I should bother to continue.  This does not give me any motivation to do anything but trade it in.

This will definitely be my last foray into games by Rockstar.  

Edit: Well, except for Max Payne.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 15, 2011, 11:43:53 AM »

Just finished the game, and I have to say, it's the most disappointing game I played this year.  I'll expand more later, but the gameplay was tedious, and the story just fell apart at the end.

I can see the gameplay being tedious.  I didn't love the interview mechanic, as I've said.  However, I thought the story really kicked into high gear at the end. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Even with the change in perspective.  I actually thought we should have spent a little more time with the other character.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 15, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 15, 2011, 11:43:53 AM

I can see the gameplay being tedious.  I didn't love the interview mechanic, as I've said.  However, I thought the story really kicked into high gear at the end. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Even with the change in perspective.  I actually thought we should have spent a little more time with the other character.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think the game tried to follow the rules of being in law enforcement all the way up to the last part of the game and just totally abandoned it.  Yes I realize the department was also corrupt, but it just felt like it jumped the shark, there were other legal avenues it could have been explored that wouldn't have taken away from the story.

So with that said here's my thoughts

I never heard about this game until late last year or possibly early this year, never knew it was in development for 6 years. 

Graphically, it's hit and miss, the city is beautiful and very well done, it's just too bad it wasn't used to it's potential due to the gameplay.  Yes it had pop-in textures, but that's something that would be expected, and has been for the last 10 years of the GTA engine history.  The character models were just plain ugly.  Other than the facial animations which gave the characters more "life" it just felt dated.

But graphics don't make a game great, gameplay does and it fell flat.  This game had a lot of potential and it relied too heavily on the facial animation and lost focus on the rest of the stuff.  Here you have this beautiful city to explore and it was rarely used other than getting from one place to another, but that's it.  It seemed they wasted alot of resources on something that doesn't really have a function other than backdrop.

On to the facial animation system and the interrogation system....  Neat concept but felt contrived.  Especially when the narrative is linear, it didn't matter if you got it right or wrong, it was decided when you pressed start to play the game.

The game itself is on rails, which is fine, but don't give us this open world making us feel that we can play in.  Collectibles doesn't make a game fun, it's tedious and really a waste of time.

The cases itself was actually interesting but just fell off the truck in the last quarter of the game.

Side missions were a waste of time mainly due to it's length and repetitiveness.  Unlike Red Dead Redemption, it had no meaning to the story or the game.  I absolutely hated that as a arson investigator/homicide investigator, I'm being called to stop someone from committing suicide, or stopping a bank robbery.  In what world does that happen?  It doesn't follow the "rules" and takes the player out of the game environment.  Yes they were optional, and after a few I stopped trying, but still, make it fit the world you are playing, not just add it to just to have it there.  And make it worth our while.

Overall I wanted to like this game, I played to the end hoping it would redeem itself, and it just got worse as it went.  6/10 for me.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 15, 2011, 04:43:48 PM »

Honestly, I'm having a difficult time getting myself to return to the game.  As someone mentioned in a review, it plays very much like an adventure game.  The point and click nature of each investigation isn't really captivating me.  I feel like I'm on the rails most of the time.  I don't hate the game, I just don't love it the way I expected to.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 15, 2011, 04:49:29 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 15, 2011, 04:43:48 PM

Honestly, I'm having a difficult time getting myself to return to the game.  As someone mentioned in a review, it plays very much like an adventure game.  The point and click nature of each investigation isn't really captivating me.  I feel like I'm on the rails most of the time.  I don't hate the game, I just don't love it the way I expected to.

ditto.  everytime I look at the case I go 'meh, I could be playing <insert game here> instead'. 

and no, by saying insert game here I'm not talking about inserting any agme into any orifices.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 15, 2011, 05:20:18 PM »

Quote from: naednek on June 15, 2011, 04:38:57 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think the game tried to follow the rules of being in law enforcement all the way up to the last part of the game and just totally abandoned it.  Yes I realize the department was also corrupt, but it just felt like it jumped the shark, there were other legal avenues it could have been explored that wouldn't have taken away from the story.

I never heard about this game until late last year or possibly early this year, never knew it was in development for 6 years. 

Graphically, it's hit and miss, the city is beautiful and very well done, it's just too bad it wasn't used to it's potential due to the gameplay.  Yes it had pop-in textures, but that's something that would be expected, and has been for the last 10 years of the GTA engine history.  The character models were just plain ugly.  Other than the facial animations which gave the characters more "life" it just felt dated.

But graphics don't make a game great, gameplay does and it fell flat.  This game had a lot of potential and it relied too heavily on the facial animation and lost focus on the rest of the stuff.  Here you have this beautiful city to explore and it was rarely used other than getting from one place to another, but that's it.  It seemed they wasted alot of resources on something that doesn't really have a function other than backdrop.

On to the facial animation system and the interrogation system....  Neat concept but felt contrived.  Especially when the narrative is linear, it didn't matter if you got it right or wrong, it was decided when you pressed start to play the game.

The game itself is on rails, which is fine, but don't give us this open world making us feel that we can play in.  Collectibles doesn't make a game fun, it's tedious and really a waste of time.

The cases itself was actually interesting but just fell off the truck in the last quarter of the game.

Side missions were a waste of time mainly due to it's length and repetitiveness.  Unlike Red Dead Redemption, it had no meaning to the story or the game.  I absolutely hated that as a arson investigator/homicide investigator, I'm being called to stop someone from committing suicide, or stopping a bank robbery.  In what world does that happen?  It doesn't follow the "rules" and takes the player out of the game environment.  Yes they were optional, and after a few I stopped trying, but still, make it fit the world you are playing, not just add it to just to have it there.  And make it worth our while.

Overall I wanted to like this game, I played to the end hoping it would redeem itself, and it just got worse as it went.  6/10 for me.

The second the main character picks up a murder weapon with his bare hands, you have to throw the "rules" of law enforcement out the window.  You also would never go from Homicide "up" to Vice (although they made some throwaway comment to that effect).  I think you were looking for a more literal interpretation of law enforcement than the game served you. 

I thought the last segment did a fantastic job of capturing the Noir movie feel (not the same as a police simulator) and pulled everything together nicely. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Apart from the flame throwers, I mean.

I don't mean to defend it to the heavens.  There are problems with it, for sure.  I just wonder if you didn't have some prejudices of expectation, is all.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 15, 2011, 06:35:29 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 15, 2011, 05:20:18 PM

Quote from: naednek on June 15, 2011, 04:38:57 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

The second the main character picks up a murder weapon with his bare hands, you have to throw the "rules" of law enforcement out the window.  You also would never go from Homicide "up" to Vice (although they made some throwaway comment to that effect).  I think you were looking for a more literal interpretation of law enforcement than the game served you. 

I thought the last segment did a fantastic job of capturing the Noir movie feel (not the same as a police simulator) and pulled everything together nicely. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Apart from the flame throwers, I mean.

I don't mean to defend it to the heavens.  There are problems with it, for sure.  I just wonder if you didn't have some prejudices of expectation, is all.

And I think you arguing my points on why I didn't like it.  I looked at it as a police perspective, not really a noir setting.  I didn't really get that vibe to be honest. 

You could have a noir feel while being authentic (as much as possible) in the world you are portraying.  They tried but as the game went on they threw it out the window. 

I'm fine that it's not open ended, but make the gameplay play on the strengths of not being open ended.  Instead they tacked on this driving simulator that really had no purpose other than to show hey we can make pretty cities, and lets see how many things we can hide, all had nothing to do with the gameplay.  It could easily have been, but it was obvious the core game didn't fit that mold.  In reality, this was CSI video game redone in an open world environment that really didn't have any open world elements other than being able to drive around. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 15, 2011, 08:03:40 PM »

I guess it is odd to be seeing the noir vibe in LA Noire.   Tongue

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 15, 2011, 08:33:51 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 15, 2011, 08:03:40 PM

I'm not sure how you got that from naednek's response.   icon_confused

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 15, 2011, 09:40:27 PM »

The fact that I'm so close to finishing this game and I only finish MAYBE three games a year says all you need to know about how much I liked it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 15, 2011, 09:53:31 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on June 15, 2011, 09:40:27 PM

The fact that I'm so close to finishing this game and I only finish MAYBE three games a year says all you need to know about how much I liked it.

You're just hoping there's more bewbies coming at the end.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 15, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 15, 2011, 08:33:51 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 15, 2011, 08:03:40 PM

I'm not sure how you got that from naednek's response.   icon_confused

I looked at it as a police perspective, not really a noir setting.  I didn't really get that vibe to be honest.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 17, 2011, 10:45:34 PM »

Real Life LA Noire

Phelps isn't really a very good cop.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 18, 2011, 10:49:11 PM »

I want to like this game, and I'm absolutely the target audience.  I love story-heavy point and click adventures.  I love the idea that my actions have an effect on the outcome, and that failure just meant a different outcome rather than a "game over".  I was imagining that this game would be an old school adventure with elements of Heavy Rain, except instead of success/failure being determined by QTEs, it'd be determined by my ability to read suspects and interrogate them well.

Except that the interrogation mechanic is just shoddy, and seems to come down to reading the writers' minds.  I've tried wrapping my head around it by thinking of truth/doubt as coax/yell, but it falls apart in practice.  For example, you have an emotionally distraught girl who's obviously holding something back with an answer, so I pick "doubt".  Phelps yells at her, and she clams up, question wrong (couldn't have been lie, I didn't have evidence).  "Okay," I think, "obviously I'll have to be nicer to her and coax info out of her.  That's my fault, it should've been obvious."  So I pick "truth" for the next question, and she tells me I'm too naive, question wrong.  WTF!

This kind of thing happens constantly.  It's a combination of things, I think.  First, by making the options static across all interrogations, and making one of them evidence-dependent, it really limits their options.  Since you're mostly interviewing people who are likely to be lying, if the "truth" option really was only for truth, you'd barely use it.  Of course, then you get into situations where "truth" really means "gently urge them to admit to lying", which is really hard for the player to parse.  They probably would've been much better off by letting you choose dialog based on seeing what Phelps was going to say.  I also don't like that they immediately score you on your answers.  Makes it so much more game-y.  If they'd taken away the right/wrong marks until a replay, I think I'd be happier.  I wouldn't know exactly how an interrogation went until I saw the results of it down the road.  As it is now, it just makes it more obvious that the system is deeply flawed.

The other thing that's started to annoy me (Red Lipstick homicide case) is when it's painfully obvious to me that we just locked up the wrong guy, and it happened because the game decided the case was over.  I had two leads to follow up on (one suspect in the cage for questioning, and an apartment to search), but after following up on one of those, that was it.  In what kind of police department is that the way things should be? Absolutely maddening.

At this point, I'm debating whether or not I want to finish it.  It kills me that a game that should be an absolute slam dunk for me is missing so badly, but there it is. 

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 19, 2011, 01:00:58 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on June 18, 2011, 10:49:11 PM

I want to like this game, and I'm absolutely the target audience.  I love story-heavy point and click adventures....
<snippity-snip> 
At this point, I'm debating whether or not I want to finish it.  It kills me that a game that should be an absolute slam dunk for me is missing so badly, but there it is. 

Dead-on assessment of how I feel about the game. It just seemed to have so much potential... so sad.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 19, 2011, 08:02:10 PM »

Solded to Amazon! 37.75. I think with the credit I paid 39.99. Winnar!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: