http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:22:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3] L.A. Noire - Impressions Start Page 5  (Read 16527 times)
Clay
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 20, 2011, 05:38:08 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 20, 2011, 05:44:11 AM

Spoilers regarding Homicide case "The Golden Butterfly":
Spoiler for Hiden:
Like some of you guys mentioned, I butchered the interrogation at the end.  My first real big screw up.  I talked to the molester first, and got 1/4 right and left to talk to the husband.  I thought I did ok with him, I can't recall the number of questions correct.  I charged him with murder and promptly got chewed out by the chief, but it was pretty clear to me that the husband did it.  Tire iron from his make of car, bloody clothes, shoes he was burning, no alibi match with daughter.  So when I start the mission, the chief is happy with me and cites that I the evidence and lack of alibi make the DA happy....yet I only got 1 star...what gives?!  icon_confused

I got the sense that he wasn't really happy -- just didn't give a crap as long as the DA was happy.

xbox live: nude rick james
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 20, 2011, 08:50:47 PM »

Whoo hoo, my order from buy.com has arrived.  looks like it's a witcher 2 and l.a. noire weekend for yours truly.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 20, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »

I am liking the game,but i find when i have to tell if they are lying or not i am missing out on their Qwerks(whatever),because i need to have the subtitles on,and i am reading them instead icon_confused

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 20, 2011, 10:26:52 PM »

I think if you pause and go into "Log" or something, they give you a transcript of recent dialog.  Maybe you could review that after each conversation chunk and concentrate on facial expressions during the dialog.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 20, 2011, 10:53:34 PM »

it really bums me out that it looks like there is no way of using the Jack Bauer method.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 20, 2011, 11:38:54 PM »

how to be a better interrogator.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: May 21, 2011, 12:29:10 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 20, 2011, 10:53:34 PM

it really bums me out that it looks like there is no way of using the Jack Bauer method.

Yeah, but this game, combined with Heavy Rain, could pave the way to a game that could really give that feel of being Bond, Bauer, or Borne someday.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 21, 2011, 01:30:30 AM »

bah that was a bit shit after the Traffic cases
Spoiler for Hiden:
I knew that Burglary desk had been cut...but still a bit shit it being replaced with a '6 months later' caption and the Captain,saying congrats you have now been promoted from Burglary,when 10 seconds before i had just been promoted from Traffic

did anyone else get The Naked City pre-order stuff?,did you get the Negatives as well for the badge location clues?...my negatives smell like Celery for some reason paranoid..LOL

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 22, 2011, 12:32:16 AM »

Are there any known issues with the PS3 version, or are you supposed to download something first?  Mine just flat out won't start/load - it tells me to attach the controller to the USB and hit the PS button, then something about the software.  I upgraded to 3.6.1 and it still does the same thing frown  Checked briefly online but didn't see anything like that.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 22, 2011, 12:42:35 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 22, 2011, 12:32:16 AM

Are there any known issues with the PS3 version, or are you supposed to download something first?  Mine just flat out won't start/load - it tells me to attach the controller to the USB and hit the PS button, then something about the software.  I upgraded to 3.6.1 and it still does the same thing frown  Checked briefly online but didn't see anything like that.

I haven't heard anything about that.  Do any games work on your system?
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 22, 2011, 12:44:32 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 21, 2011, 01:30:30 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I knew that Burglary desk had been cut...but still a bit shit it being replaced with a '6 months later' caption and the Captain,saying congrats you have now been promoted from Burglary,when 10 seconds before i had just been promoted from Traffic

did anyone else get The Naked City pre-order stuff?,did you get the Negatives as well for the badge location clues?...my negatives smell like Celery for some reason paranoid..LOL
Lol why were you sniffing the negatives?

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 22, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on May 22, 2011, 12:44:32 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 21, 2011, 01:30:30 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Lol why were you sniffing the negatives?

LOL,good question

i was actually holding them up to the light not far from my nose,when i caught the scent

been doing the street cases,when it told me i had finished all the ones for the current desk and then it asked me to change discs a little after...i had 6hrs 45 minutes on disc 1(that is also with me restarting the fallen idol case,because i screwed it right up)

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 22, 2011, 01:17:12 PM »

Just got asked to put in Disc 2. The last case (Lipstick murder) was easy-peasy.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 22, 2011, 07:38:38 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Like some of you guys mentioned, I butchered the interrogation at the end.  My first real big screw up.  I talked to the molester first, and got 1/4 right and left to talk to the husband.  I thought I did ok with him, I can't recall the number of questions correct.  I charged him with murder and promptly got chewed out by the chief, but it was pretty clear to me that the husband did it.  Tire iron from his make of car, bloody clothes, shoes he was burning, no alibi match with daughter.  So when I start the mission, the chief is happy with me and cites that I the evidence and lack of alibi make the DA happy....yet I only got 1 star...what gives?!  icon_confused

just played that last night.

Spoiler for Hiden:
it sounds like they wanted the molester no matter if he was guilty or not
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 22, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

I had the same thing happen to me. Seemed pretty disjointed.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 24, 2011, 01:21:23 AM »

I finished the main campaign tonight, and I really enjoyed it. The story took a couple of turns that I wasn't expecting, and at the time I wasn't excited about. But they did a nice job wrapping everything up and I was satisfied with how it came to an end.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Phelps was unlikeable most of the game, and he got worse and worse the more we learned about him. That was really highlighted when you take over Kelso and see that he is more of the badass All-American action hero. But in the end Phelps redeemed himself and finally earned all of the awards and accolades he got from the war. Plus in any future DLC it probably means we get to play as Kelso, which was much more enjoyable than playing as Phelps for some reason.

I was surprised I didn't get the achievement for killing someone with every gun. Anytime I came across an enemy weapon I picked it up and killed someone with it, so I thought I would have gotten that achievement. I also want to go back and finish the side quests and 5-star as many of the cases as I can. Right now all of Traffic is 5-starred, but that's about it.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 24, 2011, 03:25:20 AM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 24, 2011, 01:21:23 AM

I was surprised I didn't get the achievement for killing someone with every gun. Anytime I came across an enemy weapon I picked it up and killed someone with it, so I thought I would have gotten that achievement. I also want to go back and finish the side quests and 5-star as many of the cases as I can. Right now all of Traffic is 5-starred, but that's about it.

i looked into that achievement myself,did you get the
Spoiler for Hiden:
flame thrower in a closet on the last level?

i just did The Naked City tonight(which blends in with Vice cases)...it was pretty good,i quite enjoyed it,it had pretty much everything

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 24, 2011, 12:30:29 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 24, 2011, 03:25:20 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yup.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 24, 2011, 01:11:33 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 24, 2011, 12:30:29 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 24, 2011, 03:25:20 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yup.

Spoiler for Hiden:
On the early level when you got the shotgun from the trunk of the car did you drop it and use your .38?  Or did you only use the shotgun or pick up enemy weapons instead..
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 24, 2011, 01:15:06 PM »

Owain:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think I only used the shotgun. How many different weapon types or guns are there? I thought it was just pistol, rifle, shotgun, thompson, and BAR. Are there different guns for each type?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: May 24, 2011, 03:14:33 PM »

ok try this
Spoiler for Hiden:
There are 9 guns you will need to kill someone with. Most of them are dropped from bad guys through many cases and street crimes.

* .44 Magnum - Default gun as a patrol cop. Start the case "Armed and Dangerous." and press LB to drop the shotgun.
    * 12 Gauge Shotgun - Start with it in the case "Armed and Dangerous." Bad guys will drop this as well.
    * Colt .45 - Your default gun as a detective.
    * Thompson SMG - Bad guys from many cases and street crimes will have it. There's a bad guy with one at the final event on the case "The Fallen Idol."
    * Tommy gun (modified thompson with a round drum) - Bad guys from many cases and street crimes will have it. There's a bad guy with one at the final event on the case "The Fallen Idol."
    * M1 Garrand - Bad guys from many cases and street crimes will have it. There's a bad guy with one at the final event on the case "The Fallen Idol."
    * M1 Thompson (modified garrand with round drum) - Bad guys from the case "Manifest Destiny" will drop them.
    * Browning Auto-Rifle - Easily found in the final case as many bad guys will have it. There's also one in the same spot as the flamethrower.
    * Flamethrower - Obtained in the final case at the final event in the sewers. Right before the scene where the water rises you will find a room full of guns. The flamethrower is in there.

namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 24, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »

Ok I have a question that I can't seem to figure out, how do you access the cases you solved to replay them again?  I didn't see any menu options.  Do you have to solve all the cases for the department first?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 24, 2011, 05:47:04 PM »

Quote from: namatoki on May 24, 2011, 05:43:22 PM

Ok I have a question that I can't seem to figure out, how do you access the cases you solved to replay them again?  I didn't see any menu options.  Do you have to solve all the cases for the department first?

As soon as a case is finished, you have an option in the main menu called "Cases" which takes you to a place where you can select any finished case to replay.  You don't access it from the start menu.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 24, 2011, 11:43:21 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 24, 2011, 05:47:04 PM

Quote from: namatoki on May 24, 2011, 05:43:22 PM

As soon as a case is finished, you have an option in the main menu called "Cases" which takes you to a place where you can select any finished case to replay.  You don't access it from the start menu.
The only thing I can do after a case is finished is it the 'A' button to close it.  I don't have any options to select it seems.  I just finished up all my traffic cases so far.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 25, 2011, 12:26:03 AM »

The main menu. The screen with the dark alleyway when you start the game. On the brick wall it defaults to "Resume", but you can hit down and it changes to different options, including "cases". That's where you select previous cases.

Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 25, 2011, 01:28:25 AM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 25, 2011, 12:26:03 AM

The main menu. The screen with the dark alleyway when you start the game. On the brick wall it defaults to "Resume", but you can hit down and it changes to different options, including "cases". That's where you select previous cases.

I thought it was a pretty sleek looking way to do a menu, myself.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 25, 2011, 02:51:18 AM »

Oooooooh, the main menu. I didn't realize you could move the 'resume' option. Thanks!  icon_redface
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 25, 2011, 06:59:40 AM »

dammit, left thumbstick on my DS3 popped off whatever it is that holds in in place while playing tonight; all it does not is move freely without actually moving anything on screen.  second DS3 in a row to have that happen, and I've been gentle with it.  not sure if I'm going to bother getting another.

Because I can,
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 25, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 20, 2011, 07:20:05 AM

EDIT:just installed all 3 discs,and they take up 19.9gb altogether,Disc One-6.6gb,Disc Two-6.6gb,Disc Three-6.7gb

Have you seen any benefit to this? Do you still need to swap discs?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 25, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on May 25, 2011, 03:02:49 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 20, 2011, 07:20:05 AM

EDIT:just installed all 3 discs,and they take up 19.9gb altogether,Disc One-6.6gb,Disc Two-6.6gb,Disc Three-6.7gb

Have you seen any benefit to this? Do you still need to swap discs?

yup,'fraid so

i always install the current games i am playing though,i find it runs a tad smoother,people have said games in general load a little quicker,..and your 360 runs quieter as well(well mine does)

I have finished the main story and i am currently going backwards through cases to 5* them all(using a walkthru this time)and you still have to change the discs at certain times then of course...when i hit Disc 1 and finish the cases off on there,i will still have the Film Reels,Landmarks and Badges to collect which can be done on any disc....i got all 95 cars(which was a pain)

just wish they would release Slip of the Tongue pre-order as DLC already(or this Rockstar Pass),as The Naked City Pre-Order DLC was pretty cool

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 25, 2011, 03:28:11 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 25, 2011, 03:19:52 PM

I have finished the main story and i am currently going backwards through cases to 5* them all(using a walkthru this time)and you still have to change the discs at certain times then of course...when i hit Disc 1 and finish the cases off on there,i will still have the Film Reels,Landmarks and Badges to collect which can be done on any disc....i got all 95 cars(which was a pain)

Any tips on the 95 cars? I'm up to 60. Are all of the hidden cars eventually identified on the map as you level up, or do some remain hidden?

I don't know how this game has turned me into an achievement whore, but it did.

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 25, 2011, 03:53:12 PM »

I don't know how I'm going to five-star a lot of these cases. I solved one last night ("The White Shoe Murder") and thought I did really well, got over 80% of my questions right and I still only three-starred it. Other than getting those few remaining questions correct I don't know what else I could have done....
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 25, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 25, 2011, 03:28:11 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 25, 2011, 03:19:52 PM

Any tips on the 95 cars? I'm up to 60. Are all of the hidden cars eventually identified on the map as you level up, or do some remain hidden?

I don't know how this game has turned me into an achievement whore, but it did.

yeah when you level up,all 15 bonus cars will be marked on your map as question marks until you find them,the other 80 cars,never show up

first of all i got it to about 70 just by playing through the game and while driving around i would stop off in Car Parks and then enter each car,some places have some big car parks,like the Boxing Ring or the beginning of the last case

then i tried out a few sites,namely 360achievements.org,but that wasn't nearly as helpful as it usually is...the L.ANoire wiki site is still really filling in the gaps,so sometimes that would work,sometimes not

http://lanoire.wikia.com/wiki/L.A._Noire_Wiki

in the search bar i would put in the car i was missing and look at the surrounding areas of the picture there(if possible),for example the Hudson Super Six,(here it is outside the L.A. County Art Museum)

but the site is still under construction,so its not finished yet with detail on the cars

i also memorized the front grill and lights as well of each car i was going after...you can usually dismiss a lot of cars that way if you are say looking for horizontal grill and you are in an area where there are a lot of Verticle grills..as long as you are in the correct area for the car itself

if you are looking for the Paddy Wagon(International Police Wagon)i think the only accessible one is at the beginning of The Studio Secretary Murder at the train tracks,make sure you access the vehicle before looking at the body

try this site,it has all the pictures,(Japanese Site,but descriptions in English),and then try doing that memorizing trick with the front grill and headlights
http://www.dashuye.com/TVgame/gl/2011/05_hslcL_A_Noire_qclsjtwgl_11986.html

when it has a description like that first picture
Buick Business Coupe - Westlake
... go to the area around the Tar Pits(which is in Westlake area),i usually found the car a few blocks around the area mentioned on each car..but of course some are a million times harder to find than others

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 25, 2011, 05:11:51 PM »

Just curious...other than cheevos/trophies for 5-starring cases, is there any other reason to do so (unlocks, etc.)?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 25, 2011, 05:24:18 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on May 25, 2011, 03:53:12 PM

I don't know how I'm going to five-star a lot of these cases. I solved one last night ("The White Shoe Murder") and thought I did really well, got over 80% of my questions right and I still only three-starred it. Other than getting those few remaining questions correct I don't know what else I could have done....

did you find all clues as well?

also sometimes,take the one i just repeated today,if you don't ask certain questions,then later on certain other questions wont even be an option

here is an example its from the 'A Marriage Made In Heaven' case on disc 1,not that much of a spoiler as most will be past that now,but still its in the spoiler tags just in case
Spoiler for Hiden:
one thing is,if you find the bloody knife at the hit and run crime scene,that will give you new questions later on(it's in the trash can in the alley)..it's a bit away from the crime scene,so it could be easily missed

also when talking to the barman,and getting the second question correct(Doubt),then a third question appears about Joint Business Venture..then later on in the game,because you have asked that third question,a new question appears right nearer to the end of the case

a few cases do this,and can be annoying if you see questions asked 12/14 or something like that at the end

one other thing,when i have noticed i want to go to a new place so i go to my pocket book and mark it down,sometimes other places i have been have not been crossed off,this can mean two things i think
1)-the place will come into effect again by the end of the case,or 2)you have missed a clue there

Quote from: The Grue on May 25, 2011, 05:11:51 PM

Just curious...other than cheevos/trophies for 5-starring cases, is there any other reason to do so (unlocks, etc.)?

if you got the Naked City pre-order DLC,if you collect all 20 badges you get a suit that gives you more ammo for each weapon,which is a bit meh

the landmarks,vehicles and film reels also add towards your 100% completion if you are interested in that

newspapers give a 'bigger story' narrative to the main game,but i am sure you know that one already

oh and the best case IMO was The Quarter Moon Murders...that one was fun to work out,which the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Landmarks
will come in handy
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 05:26:17 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 25, 2011, 05:51:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 25, 2011, 05:24:18 PM

if you got the Naked City pre-order DLC,if you collect all 20 badges you get a suit that gives you more ammo for each weapon,which is a bit meh

the landmarks,vehicles and film reels also add towards your 100% completion if you are interested in that

newspapers give a 'bigger story' narrative to the main game,but i am sure you know that one already

Right, but what about stars?  If I get 5 stars rather than 1 star on each case, what does it get me besides cheevos/trophies?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 25, 2011, 06:12:44 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 25, 2011, 05:51:23 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 25, 2011, 05:24:18 PM

Right, but what about stars?  If I get 5 stars rather than 1 star on each case, what does it get me besides cheevos/trophies?

sorry i have no idea why i read collectables instead of 5 stars retard retard retard

I don't think it matters if you get 4 or 5 stars,as i didn't notice anything.....not sure what happens when you get 1 or 2 stars though..i think i got a 3 star once,but again,didn't notice anything,maybe different outcome/cutscene,not sure

i did hear before the game was released when you fail a case you get knocked back down to Traffic,but i don't think that is correct

i guess it is possible to book the wrong guy and get a different ending..

which reminds me of this(that may help JayDee),sometimes you have two different people in interviews,while whichever one you book will get your cased solved,one person gives you 5 stars(pending if you have asked all the right stuff) another gives you 4 stars(again even if you have got all clues and questions)

the case i redid this morning i found this out the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Studio Secretary Murder
case

if you book
Spoiler for Hiden:
Grosvenor McCaffrey
you get 5 stars...if you book
Spoiler for Hiden:
James Tiernan
you get 4 stars

I have just remembered something else,that you can ask all the questions right and get all the clues,but if you have been a bit of a dick around town smashing things up,that can effect your star rating..anything over i think $1k damage usually docks you a star....nearly running over people to get the message on the screen docks you as well,when i have been redoing these cases,i have had my partner drive me everywhere,so i don't get charged

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 25, 2011, 07:40:26 PM »

Do you have the achievement for the $47,000 worth of damages in a single story case? I spent the last Homicide mission smashing into everything I could to get that achievement while driving between landmarks, but only got up to about $20,000. If the achievement pops up during the mission, I'll probably try for it again. If you have to wait for the mission wrap up screen, I'm going to ignore it.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 25, 2011, 08:31:44 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 25, 2011, 07:40:26 PM

Do you have the achievement for the $47,000 worth of damages in a single story case? I spent the last Homicide mission smashing into everything I could to get that achievement while driving between landmarks, but only got up to about $20,000. If the achievement pops up during the mission, I'll probably try for it again. If you have to wait for the mission wrap up screen, I'm going to ignore it.

gonna go for that tomorrow,i heard the fire truck outside the Hollywood Cop Shop racks up 12k when you smash it up,so smash it up with a load of cars,and then go back and it respawns...so do that a few times

I went for it yesterday and smashed loads up during a mission,i was laughing thinking i must of smashed up 100k worth of stuff but then i got run over and i died and the damage cost got reset,as i found out when i finally completed the mission

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 25, 2011, 08:47:41 PM »

I don't think cars count towards the achievement, I think it's just property damage.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: