http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 06:40:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3] L.A. Noire - Impressions Start Page 5  (Read 16438 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 17, 2011, 06:49:10 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on May 17, 2011, 06:07:13 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 17, 2011, 05:36:29 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 17, 2011, 04:45:17 PM

The weather's been crazy all over, too, which may have delayed some things.

at first i thought you meant in the game..which leads me to this question,for those who have the game

what is the weather like in the game,all i have seen is nice and sunny,is it always that way?(well apart from at night)

well, it is L.A. Of course, the "Noire" part should mean you'd at least get some moody clouds or something.

Film Noire set in LA rarely featured moody skies. Almost all of what was done during the 30's and most of the 40's was filmed in Hollywood studios and featured sunny settings. That's why Noire celebs like Bogard and Huston wanted to go to on-location filming and get the genre out of LA. That really didn't happen much until the 50's though. The irony is later when all the tech was there for some great, moody on-location Noire settings, the baby-boomers went straight back to the original style - i.e. Towne/Polanski's Chinatown and Elroy/Hansen's LA Confidential. From what people are describing, it sounds like Rockstar went for the same retro style/setting. Besides, is there ever really that many cloudy skies in LA?

OK I need to shutup now, because I've just about talked myself in to walking out the door and picking this up.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2011, 07:00:15 PM »

I think I'm going to try out the black & white mode tonight. 

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2011, 07:01:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 17, 2011, 07:00:15 PM

I think I'm going to try out the black & white mode tonight.  

I hope you don't live in Mississippi, as I hear that it's still illegal there.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2011, 07:08:48 PM »

Amazon has delivered my copy but I can't actually play it until later this evening.  mad

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 17, 2011, 07:19:45 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on Today at 01:08:22 PM
Anyone know if you can wound a suspect and subdue them rather than just send them to the morgue? 

I heard two bits of info that might pertain to this:

1) Setpieces that are designated "shootouts" are basically kill only
2) If you are chasing a suspect, target yourgun on them and wait, a little timer thing will appear.  If you wait enough, you will fire a shot off in the air and they will hopefully stop in their tracks

i just logged in to ask this same question kd - or is there a way to holster the gun and go to melee?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2011, 07:37:04 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on May 17, 2011, 07:19:45 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on Today at 01:08:22 PM
Anyone know if you can wound a suspect and subdue them rather than just send them to the morgue?  

I heard two bits of info that might pertain to this:

1) Setpieces that are designated "shootouts" are basically kill only
2) If you are chasing a suspect, target yourgun on them and wait, a little timer thing will appear.  If you wait enough, you will fire a shot off in the air and they will hopefully stop in their tracks

i just logged in to ask this same question kd - or is there a way to holster the gun and go to melee?

I have had both situations happen already.  The timer shows up right away, though I missed any explanation on what it meant and wound up shooting the guy and failing the mission.  Then I tried moving my aim to shoot above his head.  Then I figured it out.

I also had a hostage situation on one of the more random crimes and tried to maim the guy and then shoot at the gun, and it's clear they don't want you to do that.

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 17, 2011, 06:40:56 PM

looking at my friends list to see who was playing L.A.Noire....huh.none of them....but it seems that the xbox cover thing next to the avatars is a little screwed up,the game cover next to Bull's avatar isn't L.A.noire,but it says he is playing it when i press A on him...so who knows what that game cover is?,I don't recognise it is it a phone or PC game? icon_biggrin

It was probably a phone game, mo.  Looking at my list, I'd guess Carneyvale Showtime or Tiki Towers.

EDIT: Actually, looking on Xbox.com, it shows the icon for a game called Crazy Machines Elements for LA Noire, for some reason.  It says LA Noire beneath it, but the picture is wrong.  Seems to be happening to others, too.

EDIT 2: Crazy Machines Elements is a sequel to the PC game and is supposed to hit in Spring 2011, so maybe it's coming soon?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:43:13 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »

Anyone else take a look at the acting credits in the manual?  There are over 300 actors listed  eek

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 17, 2011, 09:06:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 17, 2011, 05:16:07 PM

Quote from: Captain Caveman on May 17, 2011, 05:12:02 PM

Let's pretend that the hype wagon and forum effect for this game combine to stimulate an intense longing in my loins. Where can I find the best in store deal? Amazon is not an option when the need for immediate satisfaction is this powerful.

I think at this point Best Buy since you get a $15 gift card.

Really?  mad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2011, 09:27:06 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 17, 2011, 08:31:23 PM

Anyone else take a look at the acting credits in the manual?  There are over 300 actors listed  eek
I didn't look at the manual, but the list on IMDB goes on forever.

Because I can,
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2011, 09:28:41 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on May 17, 2011, 09:06:03 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 17, 2011, 05:16:07 PM

Quote from: Captain Caveman on May 17, 2011, 05:12:02 PM

Let's pretend that the hype wagon and forum effect for this game combine to stimulate an intense longing in my loins. Where can I find the best in store deal? Amazon is not an option when the need for immediate satisfaction is this powerful.

I think at this point Best Buy since you get a $15 gift card.

Really?  mad

Here's an even better deal:

KMart Stores have L.A. Noire (PS3 or Xbox 360) + $20 Gaming Credit + $20 Video Game (Your Choice) for $60. Please note, you must be a shop your way rewards member (free to join) to have any one game valued $19.99 or less rung up free at register with purchase of L.A. Noire. Offer valid in-store only.

mad mad
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 17, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 17, 2011, 07:08:48 PM

Amazon has delivered my copy but I can't actually play it until later this evening.  mad

Amazon has delievered mine too, but I'm still waiting on them to deliver my new xbox so i can play it.  My old one RROD again
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2011, 10:37:24 PM »

Well, I got mine and I am loving it.  I tried both Black and White and Color mode and I think I will be sticking with black and white for the Noir feeling.   I actually replayed one case for about 2 hours trying to get the questioning right smile  Consider me hooked. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 17, 2011, 10:55:52 PM »

Finally got my copy (PS3). Can't wait to dive in! I'm really liking what I'm hearing about the investigation aspects of the game and the amazing facial animations that lend to you being able to interpret the subtleties and mannerisms of people.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:41:09 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2011, 01:33:33 AM »

i was going to put off picking this up for a while, but K-Mart has way too good of a deal to pass up this week...got the PS3 version this evening, along with a $20 coupon for a future game and a $19.99-value game (SC:Conviction was my choice), all for only $60.  the only catch is that you have to be signed up for KMart's reward program, but i did that online in a matter of just a couple minutes.  now i just have to resist playing starting while i try to thin my backlog a little...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2011, 02:07:22 AM »

Played through the tutorial stuff so far and while it's much more methodical than I expected, it's very engaging.  The facial animation stuff is out of this world.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2011, 02:19:51 AM »

Well, here I am.  Stuck at work, while most of you are playing detective. Does that seem right?  Of course, as per usual in my life, fate has chosen to give me a swift kick in the jublies, as my boss just informed me Ill be staying over an extra two hours.  Sigh.  By the time I get home it will be 1am.    Damn  I was so looking forward to playing this on my projection screen.   LA   Noire on a 4' x 8' widescreen.  Maybe tomorrow....  crybaby

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2011, 02:35:27 AM »

I managed to sneak in installing the game and getting about thirty minutes of playing before I had to stop so we could pack for vacation.

I really like the opening credits, very well done. I do see what people have said about the car handling. It's funny, when GTAIV came out people didn't like how sluggish the cars felt, now they seem too lively. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I only got through the tutorial mission, but boy is this so different from most games I've played. I think I like it  nod

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2011, 04:16:29 AM »

I'm quite impressed.  It's not like any other game I've played before, and the game looks gorgeous.  I love having to think while I'm playing a game, and I love that you are forced to pay attention to all the detail in the world.

Also, as noted the facial animations are unbelievable.  This is the first game I've played where the characters actually look and behave like real people.

XBox Live:  JNacht
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2011, 04:33:37 AM »

IDK what the fuss is about the driving, because it feel perfect to me best so far from RockStar.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2011, 04:44:59 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 18, 2011, 02:07:22 AM

Played through the tutorial stuff so far and while it's much more methodical than I expected, it's very engaging.  The facial animation stuff is out of this world.

What I love is the voice matches the emotion of the face.  There's one guy who's a detective (very beginning of the game) and he had an overbite, and you can literally see it effect the way he talked.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 18, 2011, 04:45:51 AM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on May 18, 2011, 04:33:37 AM

IDK what the fuss is about the driving, because it feel perfect to me best so far from RockStar.

ya the driving is fine, it seems to be a little more sensitive the faster you go.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2011, 04:50:14 AM »

Quote from: naednek on May 18, 2011, 04:44:59 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 18, 2011, 02:07:22 AM

What I love is the voice matches the emotion of the face.  There's one guy who's a detective (very beginning of the game) and he had an overbite, and you can literally see it effect the way he talked.

That's what I noticed, too.  Sometimes the lips look goofy, but in general the emotion in the facial animation really is incredidble.  It makes the stiff body movements stand out a little too much sometimes.

There are at least two more Mad Men guys in the game, BTW.  I spotted one playing a bartender.

Driving seems okay to me, too.  Is it the PC group finding it crazy?  It's not realistic, but neither is taking a hail of bullets in a hostage situation.  I'm having no trouble with it.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: May 18, 2011, 07:31:14 AM »

I'm at Homocide, finished the first two cases. Spoiler discussion below.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Wow, what a jump in difficulty. I made a few mistakes in earlier cases, but these first two were really difficult, even without the whole serial killer angle on top of it. I barely squeeked by on a 4 star rating on the first, but nearly blew the second with a two star, missing over half the questions.

One thing I'm having trouble with when reading people is when the animation switches over to their idle states after answering a question. It keeps throwing off what I think and I'm not sure which part I'm supposed to read.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:53:58 AM by Turtle » Logged
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 18, 2011, 12:17:32 PM »

Played for about two hours last night and I'm loving it so far. Make no mistake, this game is on rails, and you really are just along for the ride. For example, in the first interrogation if you don't get a confession you have to do it all over again, listening to the same dialog. It kills the immersion a bit.

Early indications are that I really suck at this game. In my first case on the traffic desk I could only three star the mission because I blew the interrogation with the wife and only got three out of six questions right. The consequence is that I had to go to an extra location to get more info. Apparently if I would have aced the interview I would have solved things much sooner.

I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out when to use Doubt or Lie. I can usually tell when they aren't being truthful, but haven't quite nailed down when I should call them on it directly or just doubt what I'm hearing.

Hopefully the difficulty ramps up with more consequences for messing up. Right now I feel like I'm still on a leash.

Overall though this game is fantastic and I'm loving the slower pace. I feel like a detective and actually found myself leaning forward in my chair during a critical point during questioning. I enjoy flipping through the (excellent) notebook before questioning to remind myself of the clues.

If you are on the fence, as I was, give it a try. Originality and innovation should be embraced in our hobby.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 18, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on May 18, 2011, 12:17:32 PM

I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out when to use Doubt or Lie.

I'm not as far along in the game as you are, but I think you want to use lie when you have an actual piece of evidence that can prove they are lying.

So far I'm enjoying the game. The driving doesn't bother me at all, and I wouldn't have even thought about it if I hadn't of read all of the remarks here. I've done a couple of street crimes and enjoyed those. My biggest problem is I haven't figured out how to shoot into the air to get a fleeing suspect to stop. During the training mission where I think they want you to do this, I couldn't get the timer to fill up. It would get about 3/4 of the way full, and then just stop. Eventually the chase just ended when the suspect was trapped by a couple of cars. In one of the street crimes, I was chasing a suspect and the timer never even appeared.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 18, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »

Oh and they seems to be an option to play past cases individually to try and improve your results. So there is some replayability here.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 18, 2011, 12:34:18 PM »

To shoot into the air, you have to be close enough to the suspect and aiming at him. The meter will start to fill up. If he gets too far away or the view is obscured (a car driving between you, for example), then the meter will stop and start again. Once the meter fills up, I think you automatically shoot into the air to stop him. It's a bit trickier than it seems because there are always things passing between the two of you unless you are really close.

I know that the game is "on rails," so to speak, but I think the cases can play out pretty differently, depending on how you question suspects and what evidence you collect.

The fast-travel mechanic is superbly easy to use -- I wish it were this easy in RDR.

I'm absolutely loving the game so far. It's a very nice change of pace. The cases become more complicated and I think they're a blast.

xbox live: nude rick james
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 18, 2011, 12:34:26 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 18, 2011, 12:28:56 PM

Quote from: JayDee on May 18, 2011, 12:17:32 PM

I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out when to use Doubt or Lie.

I'm not as far along in the game as you are, but I think you want to use lie when you have an actual piece of evidence that can prove they are lying.

So far I'm enjoying the game. The driving doesn't bother me at all, and I wouldn't have even thought about it if I hadn't of read all of the remarks here. I've done a couple of street crimes and enjoyed those. My biggest problem is I haven't figured out how to shoot into the air to get a fleeing suspect to stop. During the training mission where I think they want you to do this, I couldn't get the timer to fill up. It would get about 3/4 of the way full, and then just stop. Eventually the chase just ended when the suspect was trapped by a couple of cars. In one of the street crimes, I was chasing a suspect and the timer never even appeared.

There are cases where you're not supposed to use the timer.  You'll know if the indicator appears.  It's not easy to get that to work during a chase when you are supposed to use it, either.  You have to run and keep the crosshair on the target (I'm thinking this is why your timer stopped), all before he gets where he's going.  If the crosshair slips off for too long, it resets.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 18, 2011, 01:00:13 PM »

I am pretty anal about getting this interrogations and question correct, so I have re-tried cases from the beginning to get it right and while it's not in the spirit of the game I am really enjoying it.   It is certainly a mix of Phoenix Wright and GTA.  Rockstar should be applauded for bringing this to market

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: May 18, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »

Bah, play how you like. I let some things slide, but if there's something that doesn't sit right with me, I go back and replay.

Also, it may be on rails, but there are a few offshoots that eventually connect to the end. What order you visit locations (when there are more than one) does often matter, how much so depends on the case. At the end of a case there will usually a tip or something at the bottom that will describe things that could be done differently.

I suspect that once people start finishing this and discussing all the cases, we'll see a good amount of variability, maybe no in outcome, but kind of the rubber banding plot buzzwords that were being thrown around a while back. Where the beginning and end of a story are mostly set, but there's leeway in the middle.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 18, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »

Quote from: Clay on May 18, 2011, 12:34:18 PM

To shoot into the air, you have to be close enough to the suspect and aiming at him. The meter will start to fill up. If he gets too far away or the view is obscured (a car driving between you, for example), then the meter will stop and start again. Once the meter fills up, I think you automatically shoot into the air to stop him. It's a bit trickier than it seems because there are always things passing between the two of you unless you are really close.

bah, let me shoot them in the leg.  they're running from a cop, they must be guilty of something.

The fast-travel mechanic is superbly easy to use -- I wish it were this easy in RDR.

I need to look into this, does it only unlock at a certain point?  I got to the Traffic division start after the midnight release but haven't touched it since, spent most of last night blowing up Nazis.

Because I can,
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 18, 2011, 02:44:18 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2011, 02:28:00 PM

I need to look into this, does it only unlock at a certain point?

I don't know if you have to unlock it, but the help pop-up first mentions it once you get to traffic. Hold Y and it will let your partner drive, and the game will then skip directly to your destination.

Normally I'll start by driving to the destination, and accept any street crime missions that pop up. Once I complete the street crime mission, I'll then fast travel to the next destination.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: May 18, 2011, 02:49:55 PM »

Actually, they did something great this time with the fast travel. If you choose to fast travel, after you get into the car it will still play the dialog that would normally play while you're driving to the location, except it will happen with the car on auto pilot to a montage of driving imagery. As soon as the dialog is done, it will jump to your destination, and you can skip the dialog at any time.

So, the only thing you're missing when fast traveling is just all the collectibles that you might drive by, and street crime warnings (which you can still just drive to anyway on the map). You won't miss any story or character content.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 18, 2011, 04:54:38 PM »

The game has promise, I just wish it wasn't so tied down.  I wish it was more sandbox mode without breaking the rules of conduct as a law enforcement officer.  It just feels confining.  The facial animations are neat, and the cases are interesting, but it's not as open as I hoped it would be.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 18, 2011, 05:09:59 PM »

Quote from: naednek on May 18, 2011, 04:54:38 PM

The game has promise, I just wish it wasn't so tied down.  I wish it was more sandbox mode without breaking the rules of conduct as a law enforcement officer.  It just feels confining.  The facial animations are neat, and the cases are interesting, but it's not as open as I hoped it would be.

I just finished all of the Traffic cases, and that unlocks a "Streets of LA" mode that is Free Roam. You can do all of the street crimes and explore the city for the other collectibles. I haven't tried it out yet, but that might be what you are looking for.

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 18, 2011, 05:18:35 PM »

Flubbing interrogation questions doesn't usually mean you fail the case -- it frequently means that it plays out in a different way -- you have to rely on other evidence, locate other areas, identify other suspects, etc. While I don't think there are branching cases, per se, I think there are multiple routes to the conclusion of the case and the route you follow determines your merit level on the case. The case notes at the end sometimes can help you understand what another route might have been.

xbox live: nude rick james
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 18, 2011, 05:18:52 PM »

I just got another $5 credit on top of the $15 credit I already received from Amazon.  Anyone else get this too?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 18, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 18, 2011, 05:18:52 PM

I just got another $5 credit on top of the $15 credit I already received from Amazon.  Anyone else get this too?
How much was it when you pre-ordered it?  I think it hit $49.99 at one point, and if you had preordered it at $54.99 they'd give you the lower price because of their lowest price guarantee. I've had it happen with blu rays that have had price drops on their release days.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 18, 2011, 05:24:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 18, 2011, 05:22:53 PM

How much was it when you pre-ordered it?  I think it hit $49.99 at one point, and if you had preordered it at $54.99 they'd give you the lower price because of their lowest price guarantee. I've had it happen with blu rays that have had price drops on their release days.

It was 59.99.  It went down to 59.00 so I got the .99 cents, but they definitely gave me another $5 credit.  I just added a game to my shopping cart and it had 2 promotions applied -$15 and -$5, separately.  I love amazon.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 18, 2011, 05:36:41 PM »

I just got an email from Amazon saying that I was refunded the $0.99 and another credit was added to my account.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: