http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 01:46:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3] L.A. Noire - Impressions Start Page 5  (Read 16498 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2011, 05:25:23 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 15, 2011, 02:09:43 AM

I really, really hope they don't emphasize the shooting aspects, and make them mainly smaller action sequences within the overall narrative, rather than your character running around gunning down 200+ people in every mission.

Everything I've read about the game says that the majority of your game time is spent with investigation and interrogation, especially in the main missions.  There are combat heavy cases, but these are optional "street crimes".

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2011, 09:22:52 AM »

nice, I was actually hoping it would focus more on the detective side. Pretty much in blackout media mode still. I watched a few videos, but I don't wanna get accidently spoiled.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2011, 09:55:44 AM »

Yeah, I just saw a video they released clarifying this. It's exactly as EddieA described. I'm already buying the game, but this just makes me want it more.

I'm just glad to see more non-combat gameplay being developed for video games, hopefully LA Noire will spawn off more attempts at this.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2011, 06:21:45 PM »

not sure about any other site,but CVG will have their review up tomorrow..which if you want to get picky about,is in just under 5hrs   slywink icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2011, 07:00:16 PM »

just got a text from Gamestop saying they're doing the midnight release.  I decided to still buy it even though the 3 disc thing is annoying.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2011, 07:39:36 PM »

Is the 3 disc thing 360 only?  

NM I found it:

Question: How many discs are there for L.A. Noire?  How will the disc-swapping work?  Will it interrupt my game whenever I am driving back and forth between locations?  If I install all three discs to my HDD on 360 can I avoid having to swap discs?

Answer: L.A. Noire ships on three discs for 360 and one disc for PS3.  Note that the discs only need to be changed at particular points in the story, so you will not have to swap frequently or when re-visiting areas you went to on previous discs.  On 360, you may install the game to the hard drive but the discs will still need to be swapped at set points during the game.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2011, 09:58:42 PM »

Well I used my $20 Portal 2 credit and decided to pre-order. I'm looking forward to a cinematic experience.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2011, 01:14:03 AM »

Was watching the NBA Playoff game and they had an ad for Noire and at the end it said, Out Now. 
I double checked and it is still Tuesday.   

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2011, 01:43:19 AM »

Quote from: shon on May 16, 2011, 01:14:03 AM

Was watching the NBA Playoff game and they had an ad for Noire and at the end it said, Out Now. 

well the commercial is out now  icon_wink

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2011, 04:31:32 AM »

Why the review embargo stretching to the 11th hour?   Are they afraid of what the reviews will be?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2011, 04:37:03 AM »

9.5 from GameInformer Down Under. 

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2011, 12:11:20 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 13, 2011, 01:15:47 PM

found this on Aussie Kotaku
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/05/how-large-is-l-a-noires-map/

One of Mafia II‘s drawbacks was the extremely long driving times often required by a map that spread mission points very far apart. L.A. Noire will be twice the size – 20sqkm to Empire Bay’s four – and will require 30 minutes to traverse by car.

It is bigger than Grand Theft Auto IV‘s, which was six square miles.

am i right in saying 20km is 12 miles?...i left school too long ago  icon_redface

got a little more on the map from the Teamxbox previewthat i missed but this was released last month(actual preview starts on page 2 if you want to read it)

Speaking of the map, it is frigging huge. One of the Rockstar reps, when giving us the demo of the Red Lipstick case, told me it’s the biggest map that Rockstar has ever made, larger than San Andreas, GTA IV or Red Dead.

Also, think about the map in RDR – it has large patches of open fields and plains. In L.A. Noire, every bit of the map is packed with streets filled with buildings, cars and pedestrians. This is downtown Los Angeles, after all!

I knew the map was going to be big because of my post i quoted,but now it sounds gigantic

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2011, 02:41:46 PM »

Best Buy's Sunday ad mentions the first DLC pack is 'Micholson Electroplating Arson Case'. 

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2011, 02:58:40 PM »

not much of a review(in fact i have quoted about a quarter of it,LOL),but they gave it 9.5/10
http://feedyourconsole.com/2011/05/review-l-a-noire/

En-route to these destinations, you will hear calls out for police assistance, provided you’re driving a Police Car, and can then either respond or ignore the call which turns into a side mission. The side missions vary from something as routine as stopping someone from committing suicide to putting an end to a hostage taking. They’re tonnes of fun and a nice distraction from the overall story – another thing to note about the side missions is they help raise your rank in the police force thereby opening up more intuition points which do come in handy with some of your more formidable Suspects.

For those of you who love searching for items and collectibles, there is no shortage of that here. There are 13 papers all of which have a video sequence telling a story, a variety of true to life Landmarks from LA in the 1940s and the never ending search for all the different cars from the era. This is sure to please the completionists out there.

it also says that there is absolutely no multiplayer options ..whether that's good or bad depends on you,i am not too fussed about that

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2011, 03:04:48 PM »

I'm getting the game today - it'll be impossible to have a review for you guys before tomorrow, but I'll give you my impression as soon as I can. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2011, 03:21:35 PM »

I'm not concerned about MP for LA Noire.  I want good murder mystery

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2011, 03:31:29 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 16, 2011, 03:04:48 PM

I'm getting the game today - it'll be impossible to have a review for you guys before tomorrow, but I'll give you my impression as soon as I can. 

it's only supposed to be 40ish hours, you could do that in one sitting then punch out the review by Thursday.  YOU CAN DO EET!

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2011, 03:51:38 PM »

how are people who are buying this on PS3 going to be able to download the Pre-order DLC and the day one DLC?...will it be separate from the Playstation Store?(that is if the store is not up by tomorrow)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2011, 04:03:34 PM »

here we go...think the site is getting bashed right now,CVG has gone down as well,LOL

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-16-l-a-noire-review

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2011, 04:05:09 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 16, 2011, 02:58:40 PM

it also says that there is absolutely no multiplayer options ..whether that's good or bad depends on you,i am not too fussed about that

That's a good thing in my book. I've never enjoyed multiplayer in Rockstar's games. RDR came close, and looked absolutely amazing on paper. But in the end I played it once or twice and then went right back to the single player.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2011, 04:08:45 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 16, 2011, 04:05:09 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 16, 2011, 02:58:40 PM

That's a good thing in my book. I've never enjoyed multiplayer in Rockstar's games. RDR came close, and looked absolutely amazing on paper. But in the end I played it once or twice and then went right back to the single player.

GTA IV free play was a blast, but it seemed most people couldn't wrap their mind around the idea that they could do whatever they wanted to in it.  Still, racing was also fun, especially since you could use any vehicle in the game.

Because I can,
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2011, 04:10:29 PM »

Oh my sweet god...

http://kotaku.com/5802203/14-minutes-of-la-noires-unexpected-thrills

This is exactly what I hoped it would be.

Thank you Rockstar.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2011, 04:13:33 PM »

and the CVG review...both this and the EG review aren't as highly praised as i guess most(me included) was thinking it would be..but it still sounds like it will eb my kinda thing

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2011, 04:31:09 PM »

I once again lament Tuesday releases.  I play bar trivia on Tuesday nights and have rehearsals on Wednesday, so any time there's a big release, it's two days before I can play.   crybaby crybaby crybaby

At least Wednesday rehearsals stop for the summer.  You know, just in time for games to stop releasing.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on May 16, 2011, 04:31:09 PM

I once again lament Tuesday releases.  I play bar trivia on Tuesday nights and have rehearsals on Wednesday, so any time there's a big release, it's two days before I can play.   crybaby crybaby crybaby

At least Wednesday rehearsals stop for the summer.  You know, just in time for games to stop releasing.

saywhat saywhat saywhat saywhat saywhat

this is the face of someone who has to wait for Friday releases icon_mad

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2011, 04:38:47 PM »

At least with a Friday release you get the weekend.  slywink

The summary of the CVG review basically says if you liked Heavy Rain or classic point and click adventures, you'll love it.  Since I love both of those things immensely, I suspect I know what I'll be playing for a while.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »

4.5 out of 5 from Joystiq.   I haven't seen any comparisons of the versions, so either they're holding back or there's little to no difference.

Because I can,
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2011, 04:45:01 PM »

IGN's review and video review are up.

Review

Video Review

Spoiler for Hiden:
Closing Comments
I struggle with L.A. Noire, because at times I love it, yet it has some notable flaws. As a noir fan, I find moments that really get me grinning. There are certain cases that draw me in and side characters who eat up the scene. But it never adds up -- amazing pieces that don’t quite amount to an incredible game. At the same time, no one’s ever played a game like this before. And unless there’s a sequel, I doubt anyone will again for some time. Credit Rockstar for taking a huge risk, for succeeding in many areas, and for offering something fresh and different.

L.A. Noire may not reach the emotional heights of a game like Heavy Rain, but it’s something everyone must try out. It reaches high and almost succeeds as a brilliant new type of video game narrative.

IGN Ratings for L.A. Noire (PS3)
Rating    Description
out of 10    

8.5    Presentation
The story doesn't match the great performances. The "game" elements are sometimes distracting from the immersive environment.

8.0    Graphics
The faces are pretty damned awesome -- it's the actors, after all. L.A. in the ‘40s looks good. At times the framerate stutters and there are a few annoying graphical glitches here and there.

10    Sound
So much great voice work. The real star is the soundtrack.

8.5    Gameplay
Despite its flaws, L.A. Noire does something we've never seen before. It's too often repetitive and predicatble, but it's still enjoyable.

8.0    Lasting Appeal
Depending on how much time you devote to exploring the city, it will take anywhere from 12 to 20 hours to beat. Many won't find a reason to return.

8.5 OVERALL

Great

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2011, 04:45:28 PM »

GiantBomb
Spoiler for Hiden:
5/5

1up
Spoiler for Hiden:
A

gamespot
Spoiler for Hiden:

Quote from: CeeKay on May 16, 2011, 04:42:27 PM

4.5 out of 5 from Joystiq.   I haven't seen any comparisons of the versions, so either they're holding back or there's little to no difference.

the last few EG comparisons i have read have had very little in them,so i am sure they will still put one up in the upcoming days

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2011, 04:46:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 16, 2011, 04:08:45 PM

GTA IV free play was a blast,

I forgot about that. I remember having a good time in that mode for a few hours with friends, and then never going back to it.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2011, 05:17:42 PM »

Gametrailers liked it as well

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2011, 05:37:06 PM »

for those who are deciding which to get between PS3 and 360..the GiantBomb review had this to say

Having spent a lot of time with both versions of L.A. Noire, the PlayStation 3 game is the clear-cut winner. Both versions of the game look fantastic, but there were a few instances of painful frame rate drops and objects drawing in too slowly on the Xbox that didn't exist on the PS3. Also, the shadows look a bit more jagged. This is splitting hairs since, both games look good enough that you should just get the one on the platform you prefer, though the PS3 also has the added benefit of being on a single disc to the Xbox's three, and includes an exclusive downloadable case (which I didn't get to try, and you probably won't be able to play either until the PlayStation Store is back online).

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »

Excited about this one!  Should be on my doorstep tomorrow from Amazon, and their preorder money back let me pick up the Nausicaa Blu-Ray for free.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »

Glad I picked the right version, though I still hate the PS3 controller.  When in doubt, go for the one on the lead platform.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on May 16, 2011, 04:45:01 PM

IGN's review and video review are up.

Review

Video Review

Spoiler for Hiden:
Closing Comments
I struggle with L.A. Noire, because at times I love it, yet it has some notable flaws. As a noir fan, I find moments that really get me grinning. There are certain cases that draw me in and side characters who eat up the scene. But it never adds up -- amazing pieces that don’t quite amount to an incredible game. At the same time, no one’s ever played a game like this before. And unless there’s a sequel, I doubt anyone will again for some time. Credit Rockstar for taking a huge risk, for succeeding in many areas, and for offering something fresh and different.

L.A. Noire may not reach the emotional heights of a game like Heavy Rain, but it’s something everyone must try out. It reaches high and almost succeeds as a brilliant new type of video game narrative.

IGN Ratings for L.A. Noire (PS3)
Rating    Description
out of 10    

8.5    Presentation
The story doesn't match the great performances. The "game" elements are sometimes distracting from the immersive environment.

8.0    Graphics
The faces are pretty damned awesome -- it's the actors, after all. L.A. in the ‘40s looks good. At times the framerate stutters and there are a few annoying graphical glitches here and there.

10    Sound
So much great voice work. The real star is the soundtrack.

8.5    Gameplay
Despite its flaws, L.A. Noire does something we've never seen before. It's too often repetitive and predicatble, but it's still enjoyable.

8.0    Lasting Appeal
Depending on how much time you devote to exploring the city, it will take anywhere from 12 to 20 hours to beat. Many won't find a reason to return.

8.5 OVERALL

Great

they gave the 360 version a 7.5 in the graphics but the same overall score.  debating whether or not I should try and find my PS3 cotnroller- I've had enough annoying pop-ups in The Saboteur to last me quite some time.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2011, 05:54:23 PM »

i can't say i noticed any pop ups when i played The Saboteur

here are some details(well the name) on the first DLC pack...if you are one of the first 16 people to buy it from BestBuy,you get the code for free

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/16/la-noire-dlc-nicholson-electroplating-arson-case-outed-by-best/

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:56:02 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2011, 05:57:35 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 16, 2011, 05:54:23 PM

i can't say i noticed any pop ups when i played The Saboteur

I'm on the PC version, which wasn't the best port but mouse/keyboard aiming has made things a heck of a lot more fun.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2011, 07:08:12 PM »

gamesradar has a 360 Vs PS3 comparison

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/la-noire/review/la-noire-review/a-2011051693529489014/g-2006092512588826087/p-3

can't really say that way is the best way to compare(making it one big screen,rather have two videos running)..but FWIW doesn't look like there is much in them

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2011, 07:30:42 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 16, 2011, 07:08:12 PM

gamesradar has a 360 Vs PS3 comparison

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/la-noire/review/la-noire-review/a-2011051693529489014/g-2006092512588826087/p-3

can't really say that way is the best way to compare(making it one big screen,rather have two videos running)..but FWIW doesn't look like there is much in them

Haha, yeah that video is not a lot of use.  It's pretty much always going to be showing different things unless it's splitting a tiled texture down the middle.  Sounds like the main difference is one disc or three.  I care about achievements for better or worse, so I'll live with the disc swapping.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2011, 07:38:55 PM »

5 stars at GiantBomb
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: