http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:46:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3] Homefront  (Read 5566 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 03:55:25 AM »

Once they sort the server issues out it should really fun. At the moment it is still fun.

The rich get richer can be an issue, however, the better you do, the more people are hunting you down, and the more points they get when you die. Also, it is possible to call in an expensive vehicle/strike and get nothing from it.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 07:45:39 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 15, 2011, 10:05:52 PM

a few bad reviews won't hurt them  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 12:14:20 PM »

BTW, I really wish developers of shooters would stop putting collectibles in their games. There are quite a few in each level of this game and hunting for them completely breaks up the flow. After the first level I decided to stop looking for them and just play the game, but a bunch of them are right in front of your face. And they're not just simple collectibles, they are newspapers with several pages of text, so you feel compelled to stop and read them.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011, 01:04:22 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 16, 2011, 12:14:20 PM

BTW, I really wish developers of shooters would stop putting collectibles in their games. There are quite a few in each level of this game and hunting for them completely breaks up the flow. After the first level I decided to stop looking for them and just play the game, but a bunch of them are right in front of your face. And they're not just simple collectibles, they are newspapers with several pages of text, so you feel compelled to stop and read them.

I used to like finding these things, but for some games, they're just not appropriate.

"Holy shit, the KPA is breathing down our necks.  That tank'll be here soon.  Let's go!"

"Okay, lemme just see if there are any newspaper clippings around that I can add to my collection first."

Completely breaks the flow, as you said, and the reality of the situation.

On the plus side, at least the AI isn't reminding you what you're supposed to be doing every five seconds.  That drives me nuts, because it feels like the game designers are criticizing you for doing something that they put into the game.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 16, 2011, 01:04:22 PM

I used to like finding these things, but for some games, they're just not appropriate.

"Holy shit, the KPA is breathing down our necks.  That tank'll be here soon.  Let's go!"

"Okay, lemme just see if there are any newspaper clippings around that I can add to my collection first."

On the plus side, at least the AI isn't reminding you what you're supposed to be doing every five seconds.  That drives me nuts, because it feels like the game designers are criticizing you for doing something that they put into the game.

Actually, I did experience some of that in the first level. I would be looking around for newspaper and the girl would keep telling me to quit screwing around or something.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2011, 02:33:57 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 16, 2011, 01:28:33 PM

Actually, I did experience some of that in the first level. I would be looking around for newspaper and the girl would keep telling me to quit screwing around or something.

and to make it worse they have them in the areas where you are forced to walk at the speed of plod.  In chapter 2 I saw the glint of one at the end of a long dead end corridor, and groaned as I proceeded to walk all the way there and back again.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2011, 03:40:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 16, 2011, 02:33:57 PM

and to make it worse they have them in the areas where you are forced to walk at the speed of plod.  In chapter 2 I saw the glint of one at the end of a long dead end corridor, and groaned as I proceeded to walk all the way there and back again.

I just experienced the "What the hell is taking so long" bit myself, so Plus Side retracted.

However, I have to say that apart from the collecting aspect, I don't get the reviews that malign the single player.  For length, okay.  I've still been playing for at least three hours, and I just got through "Fire Sale" (Chapter 3) so with 7 Chapters, I'll be surprised if I come anywhere near the 5 hours that everyone's talking about.  However, I get that I take my time more than most.  Still, I've found the story, VO performances and tight level design to be very good.  The backstory is excellent.  The controls are great, IMO.  The only other small issue I can see is with the graphics, which are fantastic at times and serviceable at others.

I haven't even thought about MP yet, but I'm really enjoying it.

Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2011, 03:56:24 PM »

I'm tempted to get this, primarily for the multiplayer. 

Is ANYONE playing on the PS3?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »

I've definitely liked the level design I have seen so far - the fights are set up with flanking in mind and you can take a few different routes at times to get the advantage.

Regarding the graphics, I was talking to an NPC and thought to myself "wow, the textures on his coat look like they are out of the original Half-Life" and then shortly after the high res textures popped in. And this is with the game installed on the HD.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »

right now it feels like tanks and choppers are 'too good', but I know that's simply because unlike COD it really DOES take teamwork to take them down.  If more people would switch to the default AA kit even and fire at it it would be a non-issue imo.
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2011, 05:19:20 PM »

In a less then positive note (for THQ), Amazon just dropped the price of this to $42.

One day after release?

I'd be pissed if I paid $60.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:21:50 PM by Nonnahob » Logged

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2011, 05:27:16 PM »

Wow, that's not cool. I paid $47 with credits, but still.

EDIT: well, I got a $15 credit with the preorder, so I guess it's basically a wash for me if I was paying full price. If I complained about the price drop I should have to give up the credit.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:32:27 PM by Teggy » Logged

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2011, 06:49:25 AM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on March 16, 2011, 05:19:20 PM

In a less then positive note (for THQ), Amazon just dropped the price of this to $42.

One day after release?

I'd be pissed if I paid $60.

Their stock dropped drastically after the less than stellar reviews this got after release - perhaps that has something to do with it?

A new one
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »

Quote from: Frogstar on March 16, 2011, 03:56:24 PM

I'm tempted to get this, primarily for the multiplayer. 

Is ANYONE playing on the PS3?

Curious as well.

Even though not many people on GT play Black Ops on PS3, at any given time there's a good 700,000+ people playing on the PS3 so you'll never have any trouble meeting people to play. I'm sure the same will go for Homefront.
The main thing that keeps me on the PS3 is the "free to play" online multiplayer where as on Xbox I need to fork over a monthly fee to play the games I already paid for.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 16, 2011, 03:40:44 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 16, 2011, 02:33:57 PM

I just experienced the "What the hell is taking so long" bit myself, so Plus Side retracted.

However, I have to say that apart from the collecting aspect, I don't get the reviews that malign the single player.  For length, okay.  I've still been playing for at least three hours, and I just got through "Fire Sale" (Chapter 3) so with 7 Chapters, I'll be surprised if I come anywhere near the 5 hours that everyone's talking about.  However, I get that I take my time more than most.  Still, I've found the story, VO performances and tight level design to be very good.  The backstory is excellent.  The controls are great, IMO.  The only other small issue I can see is with the graphics, which are fantastic at times and serviceable at others.

I haven't even thought about MP yet, but I'm really enjoying it.

Of course, right after I wrote that, I came to the first of two very short vehicle missions.  Which meant I only really had two regular length missions to go.  All told, it did probably still take me about six and a half to seven hours, but it did feel short.  The story also started taking a major back seat, which may have added to the feeling that we were rushing through to the end.  I'm not one to say that filler is ever a good thing, but the lack of other missions actually lessened the build up in this game, IMO.

Still good, and I'm glad I played it, but, yeah, $40 feels about right.  The MP I got to play was less than spectacular, too.  No real problems, per se, but nothing that compels me to come back to it.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2011, 07:12:14 PM »

I picked this up today, based on the favorable reviews of the MP. I've installed and fired it up and selected multiplayer. And then it asks for my Battle Code, which I've entered. And now I'm waiting for it to be downloaded... and waiting... and waiting...  mad. I swear, I'm going to hunt down these people and chop them into little pieces if they don't fix crap like this.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2011, 07:12:48 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on March 17, 2011, 07:12:14 PM

I picked this up today, based on the favorable reviews of the MP. I've installed and fired it up and selected multiplayer. And then it asks for my Battle Code, which I've entered. And now I'm waiting for it to be downloaded... and waiting... and waiting...  mad. I swear, I'm going to hunt down these people and chop them into little pieces if they don't fix crap like this.

CeeKay did it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2011, 07:21:01 PM »

Oops, I did it again.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2011, 08:10:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 17, 2011, 07:21:01 PM

Oops, I did it again.

You played with his heart; got lost in the game?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2011, 09:40:12 PM »

what's the best weapon against helos?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2011, 11:05:02 PM »

Proximity launcher, rhino (at drone) and lmgs.  The fifth premade kit has two of those
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2011, 02:51:34 PM »

there is a 12 minute video on Youtube showing multiplayer,looks pretty good,as i still haven't picked this up yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F4A8K5Bn1c

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2011, 10:27:27 PM »

I am one of the unfortunate few that is experiencing hard lockups after the Logo appears.  Going to try and clear cache, uninstall and reinstall the game to see if that helps.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »

I can't seem to join a game with my party. Can get in them alone but not grouped with anyone else.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »

Went from lv 45 to lv 2 for some reason today.
All unlocks gone.
Challenges still kept my kill progress so I'm guessing something didn't load properly and saved over once I got 5 kills with a gun.

Had a bit of fun with it, but I'm done.
Too many headaches for this to be considered fun.

Gonna eat your face
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2011, 04:31:43 PM »

Quote from: Mikagami on March 20, 2011, 04:04:38 PM

All unlocks gone.
Challenges still kept my kill progress so I'm guessing something didn't load properly and saved over once I got 5 kills with a gun.

I take it you're playing on the PS3?

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2011, 05:00:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2011, 04:31:43 PM

Quote from: Mikagami on March 20, 2011, 04:04:38 PM

All unlocks gone.

I take it you're playing on the PS3?

ouch. 

on a side note, i finished the sp yesterday and boy, what a short game that was.  i had gotten to the only stealth section and was able to finish that, the "you could see it coming from a mile away" helicopter level, and fought my way up onto a bridge.  then bam, game over.  i get that they want to set up a sequel but the whole thing just felt like a cop-out.  a massive invasion of half of the US and the NK's are pushed out simply because the air force ran low on fuel?  granted, it was just one city the NK's lost, but to have such a swing from occupation to rebellion is a bit too hollywood ending. 

i also think the stealth level could have been designed better.  how is it that a group of 4 armed soldiers are able to sneak around a base in the middle of day without anyone noticing?  there were so many moments when the AI was clearly scripted to just stand there with it's back to you and not respond unless you walked up and knifed them in the face.  there was a moment earlier in the game half way through the first level where a patrol is scripted to pass by and one of the NK's got turned around.  he was completely oblivious when all three of us ran right in front of him. 

glad i stayed with a rental at this point.  i do agree with Ron's assessment of the guns though.  they all felt like they did damage and you didn't see a lot of bullet sponges with no reaction until you hit their magical zero health bar.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2011, 05:37:46 PM »

The weapons and controls were very good.  Probably my favorite aspect of the game, overall.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2011, 01:47:40 AM »

The single player portion of the game is completely mediocre, with the exception of two or three moments. I rented it from Redbox for $2, and finished it in one evening.  Single-player focused gamers should strictly rent the game or wait until it drops to $10.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2011, 01:25:37 AM »

having a pretty fun time with this right now.  Server issues seem almost non-existant, balance is pretty good as well.  Sucks when your team won't help take out vehicles, but that's true in any game that has teamwork.
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2011, 02:44:55 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 22, 2011, 01:25:37 AM

having a pretty fun time with this right now.  Server issues seem almost non-existant, balance is pretty good as well.  Sucks when your team won't help take out vehicles, but that's true in any game that has teamwork.

Returning my copy for another, system hard locks after the logo I mentioned a few posts back.  Hopefully a new copy will work.....

edit: I should also mention that this happens only when I'm connected to xbox live, able to load and play the campaign just fine when I'm in offline mode. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:46:29 PM by USMC Kato » Logged

Semper Fidelis

ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2011, 03:28:40 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 22, 2011, 01:25:37 AM

Server issues seem almost non-existant, balance is pretty good as well.
Ps3 is again being treated as a 2nd class citizen.  Out of the box the party system was broke.  They patched it, but then it seemed laggy (which was not an issue before patch).  Now last night my buddy told me that they had the party system and join friend function totally disabled.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »

been playing the single player(just finished Chapter 2),i am enjoying it so far,but have been taking my time and looking for Newspaper collectables...i love the sound and feel of the weapons

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2011, 09:49:02 PM »

Getting my new copy tonight at best buy.   However if this doesn't work, will probably be getting Crysis 2.  Which is very unfortunate because I really liked Homefront's multiplayer modes

Semper Fidelis

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2011, 01:37:51 AM »

absolutely no luck getting into an online match,been trying for a while,so gonna continue on the single player,just started chapter 4

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »

I just finished Homefront and quite liked it,it did have its bad points like always having to follow people,it feels like you are having your hand held..and also,as you have 3 AI with you most of the game,you find that the enemy pretty much ignores them and all shoot at you,even if you are at the back and the AI are nearer to the enemy

and then you have the old 'you play a mute' icon_mad

I actually,finally managed to get a few games online this morning and although i am utter crap,i am quite enjoying that also,hopefully i can get used to everything and how the Battlepoints work and then i can get better...maps are a nice size,although we kept playing the same 3 or 4 maps,so not sure how many there is,played for about 2 hrs

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2011, 09:27:20 PM »

sorry for the *counts* 1,2,3....tripple posts

Homefront sold 350,000 in day one in the US,this we knew..but its been confirmed that Homefront has racked up a Million sales in its first week(they shipped 2.4 to retailers)

however i have heard a lot of people(Kato included) have taken their copy back due to the bugs...so it could be a repeat of Haze(Haze for the PS3 had the biggest day one sales,but it became the most 'taken back' game on day two)

Homefront makes 1 million sales

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2011, 09:33:20 PM »

That's also across 3 platforms.  It'll be interesting to see where it ends up on the March NPD.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2011, 04:51:49 AM »

Regarding MP, how are you supposed to shoot down helos?  My RPG does not appear to lock onto target...does that come later?
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2011, 05:25:47 AM »

The Rhino drone is about the easiest. Lock on and fire the volley. The Proximity Launcher is kinda worthless in that it seems to need to be a near direct hit already before it decides to do anything.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: