http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:03:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Space combat games?  (Read 307 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2014, 01:08:30 AM »

I grabbed Strike Suit Zero (very accurate GT review here) on a whim today.  Maybe it's just because it's really the first one I've ever played, but I put in a couple hours and am thoroughly enjoying it despite the crazy difficulty (and the fact that I pretty much suck).

Space combat is a genre I've never really explored before, wondering if there are any "must have" games out there. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 04:56:08 AM »

open ye, can of worms

in the genre of classics you should play, graphics be damned:

Freespace 2.  (and the mod that brings Freespace 1).  This is imho, the standard for modern space combat games, sadly now 15 years after it came out.  GoG has it I'm sure.
Independence War 2.  Netwonian physics engine, flying ships in corvette class instead of fighter, and a more open and free campaign structure.  over 10 years old now and also on GoG

in the Elite/universe sim genre:  X2,X3 and X3 Terran Conflict.  X2 is grander, X3 is more refined and X3 TC has a decent campaign (several, actually).  these games give you a universe and the freedom to do as you want.  follow the campaign missions or skip them entirely and explore the galaxy or build up a business empire and buy and captain battle cruisers.  largest scope if you are feeling ambitious.  the more recent X Rebirth goes for a smaller scale with a single upgradable ship to pilot but keeps the large scope and universe building options.  also, the newest if you want the bells and whistles. 

smaller scale, closer to SSZ:  Miner Wars 2081 is a semi open 6DoF game more akin to Descent but has lots of space combat. SOL:  Exodus.  Not the highest end in graphics or gameplay but goes for a more traditional space combat game instead of arcade anime fighter ala SSZ. 

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 01:13:10 PM »

Yeah, this is a genre that sadly is sort of in a coma - I was a huge, huge fan of the Wing Commander games way back when, but I suspect for a number of reasons they may not hold up all that well anymore.

The good news is there may be a resurgence coming - Chris Roberts, a big name behind some of the old-time space combat games, is doing Star Citizen, which has a ton of hype, and the guys who did EVE are doing a standalone combat game that, if I recall correctly, is going to be focused on VR (launch title for the Oculus Rift headset).

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 01:21:32 PM »

Elite: Dangerous should see a release sometime this year as well.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 02:25:53 PM »

Thanks Caine, that'll give me something to start with.

Quote from: Caine on February 18, 2014, 04:56:08 AM

the more recent X Rebirth goes for a smaller scale with a single upgradable ship to pilot but keeps the large scope and universe building options.  also, the newest if you want the bells and whistles.  

Looked at this one on Steam, but the 33/100 Metascore scared me off.   paranoid
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:28:54 PM by Gratch » Logged

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 02:28:44 PM »

Do NOT purchase X:Rebirth...Perhaps in about a year or two it will be good, but currently, after 3 months of patching, it still doesn't work.

Its a great time to be a fan of space games. The genre has totally revitalized, not the least of which is due to mega heavy hitters like Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen. I'd point out StarPoint Gemini 2, which is currently in Early Access on Steam, and is one of the finest games I've seen in a long time. Its also one of the VERY few games whose steam forums are filled with happy people, and the developers answering questions all the time.

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »

All of the space combat games mentioned in this thread have received quite low Metacritic scores.  SSZ is 69%, Miner Wars 2081 is 52%, SOL Exodus is 57%, X Rebirth is 33%, etc.  X2 seems to be the best of the bunch, and that one is only at 72%.

Are they actually mediocre games, or are reviewers in this particular genre just overly picky?  Or both?

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 03:13:24 PM »

Im invisible now?

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 03:26:29 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 18, 2014, 03:13:24 PM

Im invisible now?

You mentioned, Starpoint Gemini, so I suppose I can add it to the "mediocre review" list with a 46% Metacritic score.  The sequel looks like it'll be better, but I'm generally not into paying to beta test a game.  The other two (Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous) both look cool, but seem to be a ways off.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 03:31:22 PM »

No, I mentioned StarPoint Gemini 2, which is a different beast, and one to take note of. Especially due to how everyone who plays it, loved it and the lack of negativity on their forums.

Fine if you don't want to enter beta gaming, but its certainly, the two behemoths aside, the game to watch for, and since it will be out in a few months, its not that long a wait.

A new one
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 05:22:23 PM »

reviews tend to be a bit harsher on the X games as they are niche games and reviewers go in with certain expectations.  I mention them not necessarily as a next jump, but as examples of games with epic scope. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 02:12:33 AM »

Starlight: Inception is also in beta at this point, with release in the next couple months.  It will be out on PC, PS4 and Vita as well I think. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 02:34:11 AM »

Just a warning about the X games. They have a huge learning curve off the bat. I've tried a few times to play various X3 games and just did not last. I got slightly further the last time I played it as I watched some YouTube "Lets Play!" videos first but I still never got comfortable enough to stick with it.

I had an itching to play a space combat game somewhat recently but was a bit bummed that Freelancer and Starlancer were not on GOG. So I got nothing.   icon_neutral
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: