http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 10:24:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3] Dragon's Dogma - Dark Arisen out!  (Read 35135 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 25, 2012, 05:13:04 PM »

He doesn't like you... I don't like you either
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 25, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 25, 2012, 04:08:30 PM

That's great news.  I hope it sells well in NA and Europe too.  It seems to be a more of a word of mouth game.  Once most people try it, they see the magic...and the potential of a sequel with some improvements.

well if you take that quote of them selling over 1 million and them saying it sold 300,000 in Japan,it means(at least) another 700k around the world(NA,EU...do we count Australasia?)

and that is just a month after the release date

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 25, 2012, 05:53:06 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 25, 2012, 05:13:04 PM

He doesn't like you... I don't like you either

Hark has the death sentence on twelve 360's.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: June 25, 2012, 05:54:14 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 25, 2012, 05:46:01 PM

That's great news.  I hope it sells well in NA and Europe too. It seems to be a more of a word of mouth game.  Once most people try it, they see the magic...and the potential of a sequel with some improvements.
well if you take that quote of them selling over 1 million and them saying it sold 300,000 in Japan,it means(at least) another 700k around the world(NA,EU...do we count Australasia?)

Super glad to hear this one has been selling well and will get a sequel.  I hope they take advantage of that to fix some of the less fun bits and really expand on the great original ideas here.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 25, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 25, 2012, 05:54:14 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 25, 2012, 05:46:01 PM

That's great news.  I hope it sells well in NA and Europe too. It seems to be a more of a word of mouth game.  Once most people try it, they see the magic...and the potential of a sequel with some improvements.

Super glad to hear this one has been selling well and will get a sequel.  I hope they take advantage of that to fix some of the less fun bits and really expand on the great original ideas here.

they said over 1 million shipped, but I can't imagine sold will be far behind if not already passed.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: June 25, 2012, 06:11:40 PM »

sorry my bad,i hate it when they say that icon_evil

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: June 25, 2012, 06:43:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 25, 2012, 06:03:20 PM

they said over 1 million shipped, but I can't imagine sold will be far behind if not already passed.

Wait what? You think they've sold more than they've shipped to stores? Uhm... no, I don't find that very likely. slywink
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 25, 2012, 09:12:56 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 25, 2012, 06:43:09 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 25, 2012, 06:03:20 PM

Wait what? You think they've sold more than they've shipped to stores? Uhm... no, I don't find that very likely. slywink
You had the upper hand until you said "stores".

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 26, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »

I just realized that the main guy from Salvation looks and acts a lot like the evil priest from Resident Evil (4?). I thought he seemed familiar somehow.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 26, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »

For the sequel I'm hoping for at least 2 player co-op (2 players with their primary pawn)
Wouldn't mind more itemization, or a decent crafting mechanic.
Traveling long distances on foot didn't bother me that much, in fact I enjoyed it. However it would be just groovy to have an option to use a mount.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 26, 2012, 04:20:46 PM »

Hey All, I just picked this up for PS3 and wondering whether anyone else on that platform is interested in pawn sharing.  I realize I'm a little late to this thread.

my psn name:xflagger

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: June 26, 2012, 04:28:46 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on June 26, 2012, 04:20:46 PM

Hey All, I just picked this up for PS3 and wondering whether anyone else on that platform is interested in pawn sharing.  I realize I'm a little late to this thread.

You can use my pawn. My PSN id is TiLT42. My pawn's name is Rufus, a warrior at level 55 which you will get to hire for free if you're on my friends list. smile
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 26, 2012, 06:08:27 PM »

Okay, put in about 3 hours last night.  I'm enjoying it.  If I had to describe it to another RPG lover, I'd say it's like the unholy child of Two Worlds 2 and Demon Souls. 

The game itself has proven fun so far.  The combat is great.  The graphics...well...they're a weak point, imho.  Everyone looks like they've went 10 rounds with Sonny Liston...while they had their hands tied behind the back.  But I can forgive that.  The pop ins on the other hand are a bit more annoying on a 360. 

The pawn system is fantastic.  I created a mage called Solomon last night.  Not quite sure how they work as of yet, but I'll read up on them tonight. 

Also, it seems I skipped over pretty much every quest there is in the starting village.  I need to head back and see what's up.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 26, 2012, 06:53:25 PM »

The game gets better as you get further in. For the first few hours, I thought it was fun but nothing too special. Then as I started fiddling around with vocations and trying to perfect my pawn (and not dress him like a girl), the game just grabbed me. Plus, some of the monsters are just really fun to fight. And I actually don't think the story is as bad as people make it out to be. It's minimalist, sure, and the majority of the quests are "kill xx number of yy", but the actual story quests are pretty cool.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 26, 2012, 09:45:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 26, 2012, 04:28:46 PM

Quote from: Hotfreak on June 26, 2012, 04:20:46 PM

Hey All, I just picked this up for PS3 and wondering whether anyone else on that platform is interested in pawn sharing.  I realize I'm a little late to this thread.

You can use my pawn. My PSN id is TiLT42. My pawn's name is Rufus, a warrior at level 55 which you will get to hire for free if you're on my friends list. smile
Cool!  Wish I had a Chaka Khan pawn to pair him with.  smile

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 27, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »

Okay, couple of questions about the game.  I know the answers are probably embedded somewhere in this lengthy thread, but I'm not up to the task of searching through 14 pages.   icon_wink

Pawns - I noticed that at level 8, I can use high level  pawns for free if they belong to friends.  Does this cause balance issues?  I grabbed a lvl 50 off someone and used them in a quest that I couldn't finish due to being too weak and they cleaned the floor with them.  Should I try to find lower level pawns to hire?  Or just forego them beyond my main until later in the game?  I will say I could not find even one pawn below lvl 30 last night when looking.

Vocations - When do I get a chance to pick a new one? 

I'm lovin' the game so far, but I'm worried about the balance if I have to use high level pawns right now.  I'm sure it's something I'm not understanding about the game mechanics though. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 27, 2012, 03:20:24 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 27, 2012, 02:59:29 PM

Pawns - I noticed that at level 8, I can use high level  pawns for free if they belong to friends.  Does this cause balance issues?  I grabbed a lvl 50 off someone and used them in a quest that I couldn't finish due to being too weak and they cleaned the floor with them.  Should I try to find lower level pawns to hire?  Or just forego them beyond my main until later in the game?  I will say I could not find even one pawn below lvl 30 last night when looking.

I would like to know this as well,i was a level 25 and for the first time i hired 2 pawns 5 levels higher than me,because i was sick of keep going back when i levelled,but we still had a hell of a time with the ogres in the Ancient Passage(<whatever its called)

I think the first time you can change is at the Inn at Gran Soren,i also think you need to be level 10 first

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 27, 2012, 03:38:19 PM »

Yes,  I think hiring high level pawns will unbalance the game a bit. You'll notice that high level non-friend pawns will cost too much RC to afford. I generally tried to only use pawns that were at most three or four levels above me, mainly for the reason metallicorphan stated above. If you're having trouble finding pawns your level, just use a rift stone to change the search parameters. There's one in the room behind the encampment's inn. There's also one in the big city if you've gotten there yet.

I just killed my first dragon last night. It was a pretty tough fight at level 49. I think I had to revise my pawns three or so times each. I also got lucky in that the dragon wasn't able to successfully mind control one of my pawns, even though he tried four or five times. I'm not sure if that's because I did something (like attack his hand and face?) or if it's just a resistance thing. Unfortunately, the one piece of equipment that became dragonforged was something I was just about to replace.  icon_confused  On that note, what does being dragonforged entailed? As far as I could tell, the item didn't seem that much better than it was before (maybe it was even the same?).
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: June 27, 2012, 04:08:30 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 27, 2012, 03:38:19 PM

On that note, what does being dragonforged entailed? As far as I could tell, the item didn't seem that much better than it was before (maybe it was even the same?).

AFAIK, dragonforged is just the 4th upgrade level, one you can't buy. As such it's probably just a small upgrade from level 3.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 27, 2012, 07:42:16 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 27, 2012, 02:59:29 PM

Okay, couple of questions about the game.  I know the answers are probably embedded somewhere in this lengthy thread, but I'm not up to the task of searching through 14 pages.   icon_wink

I'm lovin' the game so far, but I'm worried about the balance if I have to use high level pawns right now.  I'm sure it's something I'm not understanding about the game mechanics though. 

It will trivialize the game and frankly ruin a huge part of whats fun about it, if you use pawns that much higher level than you. A big part of the game is that it IS hard, and you have to try a f ew times to succeed, and thats its god damn dangerous to be outside at night, which is something you really shouldnt be comfortable with until you yourself are around lvl 50. Taking a lvl 50 with you, or any pawn 5-10 levels higher than you will screw the balance.

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 27, 2012, 07:52:43 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 27, 2012, 04:08:30 PM

On that note, what does being dragonforged entailed? As far as I could tell, the item didn't seem that much better than it was before (maybe it was even the same?).

AFAIK, dragonforged is just the 4th upgrade level, one you can't buy. As such it's probably just a small upgrade from level 3.

you're right about everything except the small upgrade part.  Going from 3 to DF is a huge jump in stats.  HUGE  icon_cool
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 27, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 27, 2012, 07:52:43 PM

Quote from: TiLT on June 27, 2012, 04:08:30 PM

you're right about everything except the small upgrade part.  Going from 3 to DF is a huge jump in stats.  HUGE  icon_cool

It didn't really seem that way for my leather bracers, but I don't remember what the stats were before killing the dragon so I can't really compare.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 27, 2012, 08:36:43 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, y'all.  I'll look for lower level pawns to hire from here on out.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 27, 2012, 09:39:14 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 27, 2012, 08:36:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback, y'all.  I'll look for lower level pawns to hire from here on out.

sorry, missed your question.  I've started using pawns like this:

1) Hire Ralph Wiggums pawn and send him home in a dress.
2) hire one that is 5 levels above my main character
3) hire a second that is 10 levels above my main character.
4) once my main is the same level as the pawn that was 5 levels above my character switch that pawn out for a new one 10 levels above.  repeat this step every time my main equals a pawns level.

so far I haven't felt overpowered against anything that I couldn't normally mow down anyways.  the only drawback is that at a certain point I end up spending rift crystals, but the game practically gives them away anyways.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 27, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »

Well, you should play how you like, but you really are breaking the games difficulty curve like that. Especially if its mages since they destroy everything around them within seconds.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 27, 2012, 10:02:12 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 27, 2012, 09:51:42 PM

Well, you should play how you like, but you really are breaking the games difficulty curve like that. Especially if its mages since they destroy everything around them within seconds.

since my pawn is a mage I only hire fighters and warriors.  honestly it seems like the hired ones are more there so I don't get outright mobbed (or in the case of Jarrod's pawn to be the redshirt), more often than not I do most of the killing, followed by Winter with her mega spell of flaming death.

thankfully there is no friendly fire in this game.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 28, 2012, 09:00:16 AM »

I went wondering yesterday,and ended up in a narrow valley with high winds that kept knocking me back,and then a group of Bandits jumped us at the Bandit Camp(on your way to Bluemoon tower),and i got my ass kicked...not sure what the D-Pad commands are for as they are pretty much useless

as for From A Different Sky DLC which i have bought the first few

All it is,is quests that want you to go to a point on the map and you collect a Badge of Vow,for example the first few Quests makes you climb buildings in Cassardis and jump onto rooftops to get to the point and that is all there is to it,you also get rift crystals

No one seems to know yet what these Badge of Vows do,some suggesting that when you get all 100 after doing all 100 quests,it will do something special,or you can trade them in for something special

I think i will carry on what i am doing,and when i have a spare 80 points just pick up the next lot(like when i have change from buying Skyrim's Dawnguard)

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 28, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »

This game has taught me (slight, not specific spoiler about a possible love interest in the game)
Spoiler for Hiden:
that not even being falsely accused of rape will prevent me from wanting to get with a girl if she's hot.  nod
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 28, 2012, 08:58:05 PM »

Any suggestions on when I should try another vocation?  I'm lvl 12 and I'm about halfway to maxing my Strider vocation.  Should I hold off until I do max it out?  Or switch over to Ranger or Mystic Archer now?  Or does it even matter?

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: June 28, 2012, 09:06:29 PM »

I held off switching vocations until I maxed them out, but I'm not sure it really matters.  To me it felt like I might as well try out all the potential unlocks before switching to something else.  By the time I switched to my second vocation it leveled up super fast, so that was handy. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 28, 2012, 09:29:11 PM »

I have a mission i just did,to find a SnakeSkin Purse

When you select the quest,you can view map and there are yellow circles,there were 4 yellow circles scattered across the map,i presumed they were various locations where this Snakeskin purse could be,so i went and checked them all,searched the areas but couldn't find it

In the end,i went onto Youtube and found that it was near Nameless Falls...not one of the yellow circles

I looked on the wikia,and there are other locations for it listed...but again,none of the locations were where the yellow circles were on the map....so what the hell were the Yellow Circled Locations for?

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 28, 2012, 10:03:43 PM »

Those yellow markers are quest locations. They are yellow instead of red because they are currently not selected as an active quest

Semper Fidelis

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 29, 2012, 03:28:51 AM »

Finished the main story and just started with the post game content. Dragon's Dogma is my early GOTY contender, and unfortunately/fortunately sets the bar really high for future games of this type.

Semper Fidelis

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: June 29, 2012, 04:31:45 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 29, 2012, 03:28:51 AM

Finished the main story and just started with the post game content.

No you didn't. slywink
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 29, 2012, 05:54:14 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 28, 2012, 08:58:05 PM

Any suggestions on when I should try another vocation?  I'm lvl 12 and I'm about halfway to maxing my Strider vocation.  Should I hold off until I do max it out?  Or switch over to Ranger or Mystic Archer now?  Or does it even matter?

MAx it out - there are some VERY good benefits from doing so - both in terms of abilties but also those passive ones whose name I cant remember by now. Basically, its always a good idea to max out your current vocation if you are having fun with it :-)

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 29, 2012, 06:57:24 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 28, 2012, 10:03:43 PM

Those yellow markers are quest locations. They are yellow instead of red because they are currently not selected as an active quest

yeah i realised after i posted,that when you select the quest in your log and view the map(even though the 'view map' options are with the quest in question),it has those yellow circles in the same place on every quest

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 29, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »

So I picked this up early this week, played a decent amount of hours, and like Kato am ready to name this my early GOTY. To me, it feels so much like Dark Souls (my GOTY last year); they don't hold your hand, there's so much to just discover if you explore around, and it requires you to prepare properly and consider what you are doing (some of the sound effects in the menus are the same too).  Combat is incredibly fun, the difficulty curve isn't so bad as long as you don't wander into unknown territory willy-nilly, and it just drips with atmosphere.

I'm not very far in yet as I restarted and have been taking my time exploring/doing quests, but two of my favorite moments so far:

Spoiler for Hiden:
1) I had tried to do the well quest earlier and got my ass handed to me, JUST managing to run out and make it back to town to cure my poison before dying.  After levelling up a bit I went back and got smarter about my pulls, trying to draw the lizard dudes out one at a time and keeping my pawns from wandering around too much. This worked out much better and I managed to clear them all out.  It was a tough fight(s) but really fun sa the water kept you in the dark, and position mattered as far as how much damage you would do.

2) The main story quest from the encampment to the capitol city.  Usually I hate escort missions (and considering how long this one is, it could have beena  total nightmare), but wow was this one fun! Instead of feeling like I was babysitting a child, I felt like an actual member of a caravan. The rock slides, and continual attacks from monsters/bandits kept up the tension really well, with just enough time for a breather in between attacks. Again, just the right amount of challenge.  It was also a challenge just to keep from wandering away from the pack to investigate some cool looking stuff along the way.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 29, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »

That early quest in the Well is really really well done. ahem. It totally encapsulates the feeling of old-school Dungeons and Dragons dungeon adventuring

A new one
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 29, 2012, 01:12:05 PM »

I also love how you can actually feel your character get more powerful. It used to be the cyclops, and then later chimeras, scared the shit out of me. But now I can take them down without a second thought; half the time I can even kill them without getting hit. Part of it is knowing what tactics to use and part of it is that my guys are just bad asses now. One or two meteor blasts and those guys drop like flies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 29, 2012, 06:34:29 PM »

Did my first notice board escort mission last night.  Kee-ripes that was a long one.  I loved every minute of it though.  Normally in these games, an escort mission is analogous to me being hired by my neighbor to take him a half block from home.  In DD, this escort mission lasted a full night and day cycle and went on for well over an hour.  Absolutely fantastic. 

As a consequence of this, I ended up quite far from where I started.  This gave me a chance to get a firsthand feel for just how large the game world is after checking my map when all was said and done.   icon_eek

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: