http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 08:40:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PS3] Dragon's Dogma - Dark Arisen out!  (Read 43474 times)
Sparhawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 12, 2012, 07:29:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 12, 2012, 07:19:29 PM

yeah, I'm loving the ranger's 10 arrow shot, especially in dungeons where there are chokepoints.  since I got Ranger maxed out I may switch back to Strider to get the last two levels and then try Mystic Archer.  I still have a ways to go though-  I did all the Wyrm Hunt quests up to the audience and have been doing sidequests plus exploring in the meantime.

I'm not sure why the heal spells the mage has get a bad rap-  they're great for not having to micromanage everyone's health in a big fight.  sure, they have to stand still, but most of the time I find Winter casting a big spell in a stupid position it's not the green healing glow spell but an offensive one.  I've noticed the pawn AI seems kinda off in regards to having curatives:  Winter always has some but never seems to use them to bring her health back to full, and the hired pawns will pop them like candy even if they really aren't needed.

Mystic Archer's damage is based on magic damage. So, it might not be all that powerful if you haven't raised mage/sorcerer up.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 12, 2012, 07:41:41 PM »

I think I'm pretty much done at this point.  Beat it 2.5 times.  Updated my pawn again for you guys.  I tried all the classes and really only cared for strider and assassin.

The ending is different the second time through fwiw.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 12, 2012, 07:42:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 12, 2012, 07:19:29 PM

I'm not sure why the heal spells the mage has get a bad rap-  they're great for not having to micromanage everyone's health in a big fight.  sure, they have to stand still, but most of the time I find Winter casting a big spell in a stupid position it's not the green healing glow spell but an offensive one.  I've noticed the pawn AI seems kinda off in regards to having curatives:  Winter always has some but never seems to use them to bring her health back to full, and the hired pawns will pop them like candy even if they really aren't needed.
I loved having my main pawn as a healer mage for 98% of the game.  You're right, High Anondyne, High Spellscreen, High Halidom and any of the weapon enchantments work well for most encounters.  I don't like that Silentium and Blearing require the mage to run up to bad guys to cast it...I wish those spells were targetable.  Too often my main pawn healer mage would leave the protection of the party to charge into a group of baddies to cast High Blearing.

During drake/dragon fights my main pawn healer just didn't add much value...because they were spending too much time lying face down in the dirt. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:45:41 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 12, 2012, 08:01:27 PM »

Just fought a golem for the first time last night. That took awhile. It didn't help that my dumb pawn kept petrifying him preventing me from doing any damage.

I've also been enjoying the Magic Archer vocation; while my guy isn't as powerful as he was as a ranger (probably because I haven't upped my magic ability), the honing arrows are great.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 12, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 12, 2012, 08:01:27 PM

Just fought a golem for the first time last night. That took awhile. It didn't help that my dumb pawn kept petrifying him preventing me from doing any damage.

I've also been enjoying the Magic Archer vocation; while my guy isn't as powerful as he was as a ranger (probably because I haven't upped my magic ability), the honing arrows are great.
One of my favorite skills in the game is the Magic Archer's Explosive Bolt/Explosive Rivet.  It's like a ranged sticky bomb that explodes on contact.  I fire it at the closest enemy, my warrior and fighter pawns run up, swing their weapons, and boom!  Creatures and/or people flying everywhere.  The upgraded version fires 3 sticky bombs, which will decimate most packs of bad guys. And you can load up a boss with them, fire at their weak points, and either have your team detonate them, or climb up yourself to do it.

Magic Archers seem to be overlooked because their upfront damage isn't as exciting as a Ranger, but they have some great skills.  Hunter's Shot will lock on to boss weak points, firing a missile salvo of 10 arrows.  It will also stagger groups (and some boss types).  Sixfold Arrow can actually lift enemies off the ground while the arrows are impacting.  It also decimates certain enemy types, like the lizard guys, and any creature weak to cold.  All of the MA vocation specific dagger and bow skills have a built in elemental enchantment as part of the attack, which no other non mage class (no enchantment buff needed).  And, you can still do the essential roguish skills like grappled Hundred Kisses, and you can move around with double vault and the forward roll. It's a fun vocation.

I think the MA is more about utility + elemental dagger and bow damage, where the ranger is more about pure damage.  Oh, and they have a ranged version of the Mytic Knight's vortex skill...plus a dagger skill that lays down traps.   

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 12, 2012, 09:36:13 PM »

I think you may be misunderstanding how a golem works.  Destroy the glowy bits, that's the only thing that hurts it.  Destroy enough glowy bits and it shuts down (what you probably thought was petrification).  While it's shutdown you can still destroy glowy bits.  Take too long and golem turns back on, changes color and moves super fast for awhile before calming down.  The damage meter doesn't work per normal, hitting it anywhere other than the glowy bits does nothing.  Take special care of glowy bits on bottom of foot and palm of hand.  These are the trouble ones.  Knock it down once and take the bottom of foot off.  Do the palm first though because if you knock it down it covers that one pretty well while shut down.  Then it's hard to hit the palm while it's in rage mode.

TLDR:  You pawn wasn't the one making the mistakes  ninja
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: June 12, 2012, 09:58:45 PM »

By the way, if you're holding off talking to the Duke to just finish more "kill X monsters" quests, just go ahead and talk to him.  A bunch more quests open up for different areas of the world once you do.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 12, 2012, 11:20:54 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 12, 2012, 09:36:13 PM

No, I understand how golems work. My pawn was actually petrifying him. It would make his glowey bits and the rest of his body all turned to stone and was undamagable.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 13, 2012, 12:25:27 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 12, 2012, 11:20:54 PM

No, I understand how golems work. My pawn was actually petrifying him. It would make his glowey bits and the rest of his body all turned to stone and was undamagable.

interesting, golems are supposed to be immune to all magic save exequy (sp?) and immune to petrification
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 13, 2012, 02:54:27 AM »

so million dollar question - is it bayonnetta (spelling?) take 2, or is it utter cash in on camp crap?  impressions, stat!!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: June 13, 2012, 02:55:35 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on June 13, 2012, 02:54:27 AM

so million dollar question - is it bayonnetta (spelling?) take 2, or is it utter cash in on camp crap?  impressions, stat!!!

huh?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 13, 2012, 02:59:19 AM »

wow whoops - i dont know how that happened but that was supposed to be in the chainsaw thread...

on a totally unrelated topic, i need to spend less time drinking during vacation in the summer slywink
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 13, 2012, 03:38:43 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 13, 2012, 12:25:27 AM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on June 12, 2012, 11:20:54 PM

interesting, golems are supposed to be immune to all magic save exequy (sp?) and immune to petrification

My pawn is apparently so good he can make golems susceptible to completely ineffective magic.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 13, 2012, 06:21:21 AM »

Its probably not petrification, since it doesnt work. What's happening is the same in every Golem fight - Once you damage it sufficiently, it will freeze for a short while, and then suddenly burst back to life. It has happened in every Golem fight I had, and my wizards doesnt use petrification.

A new one
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 13, 2012, 11:41:05 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 13, 2012, 06:21:21 AM

Its probably not petrification, since it doesnt work. What's happening is the same in every Golem fight - Once you damage it sufficiently, it will freeze for a short while, and then suddenly burst back to life. It has happened in every Golem fight I had, and my wizards doesnt use petrification.

There were times that it fell to its knees and the glowing bits still lit up and I could damage it. And then two or three times it fell to it's knees, turned the same color that other monsters turn when petrified, and none of the glowing bits were lit up. In that stage, I could do no damage to it no matter where I attacked and it took a minute or two before the golem would move again. I just assumed that it was because my pawn was casting petrification (although it doesn't make much sense to be able to petrify a stone being).
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 13, 2012, 12:00:05 PM »

hmm - I can't remember if it did it without any glowing bits available but I think so...othewise its a bit silly yes :-)

A new one
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 13, 2012, 07:40:50 PM »

Some info and tips I made for the postgame Everfall experience that I'm hoping will be helpful (spoilers ahead):
Spoiler for Hiden:
If you've recently slain "The Dragon" and have successfully made your way back to the capital, which now looks like a post-apocalyptic warzone, you may be wondering what to do next.  I put together some info and tips that should help you before you delve into the postgame.
1.  What am I supposed to do now that I finished the story, and experienced one of the best game endings ever?  
Your primary goal is to collect 20 Wakestones and turn them into the npc on the first level of the Everfall.  She stands next to the dish looking platform, and has a quest marker.  By doing so you will "complete" the playthrough and open up New Game+.  

2.  What else can I do?
- Put your 1st 20 Wakestones in your stash and save them.  Wakestones sell for a lot of gold.  Collect another 20 (have your biggest pawn carry them because they add up quickly) and sell them for close to 700,000 gold.  Collect even more for more gold.  When you've had enough of Everfall, withdraw the 20 Wakestones you put in your stash, turn them in, and start New Game+.
- There are several armor sets that I've found that have a chance of being chest loot in the various chambers of the Everfall.  I've found set pieces for Assassins and Rangers (Twilight armor), for Warriors and Mystic Knights (Barbarian armor), and what appears to be armor for all vocations (Holy).  That’s just what I’ve found in my own playtime.  You could stay long enough to collect all pieces of a specific set.  
- Wakestones and Wakeshards drop from enemies in Everfall.
- There is a vendor that appears in one of the Everfall chambers that sells high-end, postgame weapons.  They cost a lot of gold…like a million+ gold!  But you could quickly make that much gold collecting Wakestones.
- Fight the Ur Dragon!  You thought you were done fighting boss dragons?  This is the toughest enemy in the game.  Whether you fight him offline or online, it’s a tough fight, especially on your first visit to the Everfall.  More on the Ur Dragon later.    

3.  How the f**k do I navigate in the Everfall?  
- You have to skydive!  It’s kind of a pain the ass, but you can’t die from falling through the Everfall, so no worries there.  Believe it or not, you can pick the chambers you want if you memorize what their platforms look like, and time the grabs correctly.  As you free fall into nothing, you’ll see lighted archways all along the cylindrical structure…those are the Everfall Chambers.  Each one has a name, like Chamber of Dispair, or Chamber of Hope.
- Important tip: you can leave the Everfall by going back to the center of the structure (where the free fall is), and jump.  Fall until the white screen appears and puts you back at the “top” of the fall.  When you see the first platform just after the very top ring, start hitting grab.  You should land back on the platform with the quest npc, and that dish looking thing.  From there just head back to the HQ part of the pawn base (and out into town if needed).  I didn’t realize I could do this, and dragged my party through multiple chambers, getting our asses kicked because we all had half health bars.  
- Avoid the platform with the straight, long walkway for now.  That’s the Chamber of Lament, and the Ur Dragon will be waiting for you there.  It’s the easiest platform to spot while free falling.

4.  Where are all of the support services now that the capital has been sundered?  
The Inn and Riftstone are at the Pawn HQ, which makes for convenient stops after Everfall exploring.  The weapons/armor merchant (their masterworks all…you can’t go wrong) and the potions vendor are in the same spots.  Just exit the pawn HQ and head back to the former center of town.  The Black Cat is just off the center of town too.

5.  What can I expect in the Everfall?
You can expect to get your ass kicked…just kidding…mostly.  I started adventuring in the Everfall at level 50, which I think was probably too low, but I’ve done ok.  You can expect to encounter tougher versions of the monsters you’ve faced before, followed usually by a boss type encounter for each chamber.  Some of the boss encounters are crazy, but they can be beat, even in the 50s.  Here are a few examples of chamber boss encounters that I’ve experienced:
- 2 Gore Chimeras + Mage Wight + Zombies
- 2 Cockatrice(s) + Vile Eyes + Hobgoblins
- 1 Black Dragon (killing it dragonforged some of my equipment)
- 1 Iron Golem + 1 Mage-Wight + loads of Hellhounds

6.  How should I prepare?
Enemies that want to debilitate your party abound, but the one type of debilitation that you really need to worry about is Petrification.  Explore enough chambers and you will run into a cockatrice or two, or stone gargoyles.  Losing pawns to petrification sucks.  I’m not sure if their creators get RCs when they die that way.  

So what can you do to protect against all of the debilitations?
- A mage with Halidom can cure most debilitations…except petrification  
- Sorcerers with Voidspell can cure debilitations
- Bring the potions that cure petrification (they’re expensive though at 4000-5000 gold)
- If you’re open to trying a Magic Archer, now is the time to do it.  At vocation level 7 they gain Ward Arrow, which cures an ally of all debilitations and protects them for a decent amount of time.  The skill info doesn’t mention this, but anytime you use the skill on an ally, you also benefit from the effect.  At vocation level 9, Great Ward Arrow will cure and protect the entire party in one shot.  This skill alone makes all of the encounters in the Everfall much less stressful.  Magic Archer is a good class for the Everfall too, so you can’t go wrong.

7.  What is the Ur Dragon?  How do I find it?  When do I fight it?  How do I kill it?
The Ur Dragon is the postgame boss.  You knew something bad was down in the bottom of the Everfall from your visit early in the game, right?  This is it.  He’s a big, bad ass black dragon with 6 or 7 health dots (if I’m remembering right).  He can kick your groups ass in a number of different ways, and he enjoys killing pawns…over and over again, particularly mages and sorcerers.  

Let me back up for a second and tell you how to get to him, because this was frustrating for me at first.  During the free fall find the archway that has the long straight path…looks like sidewalk.  None of the other platforms look like it, so once you’ve spotted it, you’ll know what to look for.  It can be tricky lining up the grab, so be prepared to make a couple of passes just to catch the landing.  When you do land, you have 2 options.  Fight the Ur Dragon online, or go into the menu options>gameplay and change it to offline…before you step through the door.  

Why choose one over the other?  If you just want to experience the fight, and are lower level for Everfall (50s), offline might be the better option for now.  If you know that the online Ur Dragon has just been killed, stop what you’re doing and make a beeline for the Chamber of Lament.  Get in there asap (make sure you’re online enabled), and get your easy no health kill.  There’s a grace period of 15-30 minutes after the community has killed the Ur Dragon when anyone can essentially get a free kill and benefit from all of the online loot.  Otherwise, this is what you can expect…

In both the Online and Offline versions the Ur Dragon has a lot of weak points all over his body that must be taken out.  When the weak point receives enough damage a bright bluish light will build up and then flare out, and then it will turn dark.  It’s easy to miss the ones on his back behind his head, and on the top or backsides of his wings.  Unless you’re an absolute badass, you will have to do this fight over several visits to the chamber.  In the offline version, you control your own progress, and you can actually do and see the damage you’re inflicting, even as a level 50 something.  In the online version, I’ve read that players in their 70s barely make a dent.  When I’ve fought the online version I barely make a scratch.    

It took me 5 visits to kill the offline Ur Dragon, but that’s mostly because I couldn’t find his last weak points before he flew away.   Both versions will fly away after a certain amount of damage, or after about 10 minutes.  In the offline version, the dragon doesn’t regenerate health, and will be just as you left him the next time you visit.  You need to visit the Inn and sleep to open up the fight again, or else he won’t be there when you return.  I killed him at level 55.  The offline Ur Dragon will drop 1 weapon, 20 wakestones (nice!), and some potions usually.  You also unlock the trophy or achievement for the kill…plus you can say you killed it.

The online Ur Dragon will have a name representing which generation of dragon it is, and it can take days for it to die.  Anytime a player dies or exits the room early, the dragon regains some health.  In the 50s you will probably feel like you’re just trying to survive for 10 minutes until he flies away.  But if you do “repulse” him, you will have some loot waiting for you in the exit chamber when it’s eventually killed.  Nothing too awesome, but it’s nice to get something for your efforts.  You also get credit for 1 “Repulsed Dragon” in the History Stats.  It’s tempting to just pop in to see where his health is, and then bolt out when you see he still has 3 + dots left, but that hurts the community effort to kill him.  The loot is crazy good, but this fight is endgame content for high level players.  As a first time Everfall adventurer, it may be a frustrating experience that doesn’t net you any profit, and could hurt the overall effort to kill it.  Lots of level 100+s on the top dragon killer list.  

I forgot to mention that killing the offline Ur Dragon doesn’t guarantee dragonforged equipment.  I was unlucky and didn’t get anything dragonforged.  If you can profit from an online kill, everything is dragonforged.  So before you race off to benefit from a community kill, make sure you’re wearing what you want to be dragonforged.

8.  What are the best vocations for fighting the Ur Dragon?
Based on my own preferences, I used both the Magic Archer and the Mystic Knight with decent results.  The dragon is weak to holy damage, so a Mystic Knight with holy trance and great cannon is really valuable.  Great cannon’s shots will home in on the dragon’s weak points too, which can help in figuring out where they are.  Magic Archer is good because of the homing shots too, for the same reason…just less damage.  If you’re not a mage, sorc or Mystic Knight, bringing along a pawn with holy enchantment is really important.  You can tell which players have set up their pawns for the Everfall because the only weapon enchant their pawn will have is Holy…plus Halidom for mages or Voidspell for Sorcs.  A warning on bringing casters:  they die quickly.  

I’ve heard Assassins do well in this fight too as the player vocation.  

I tried a balanced party for my first encounter, and that wasn’t effective.  It seemed to work better having an all Ranger/Strider team with me casting Holy Trance to keep the enchantment on their weapons.  And then I would unload with great cannon while the pawns either shot at or climbed all over the dragon.  If you can equip your pawn with a holy weapon, they will be an attractive pawn hire for players in the Everfall.      
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 06:04:06 AM by Roguetad » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 13, 2012, 07:58:35 PM »

Very very nice, Rougetad! Thanks

I'm missing one thing though

Spoiler for Hiden:
How to deal with the white guy? I havent seen the dragon boss yet, but thats probably because I havent killed the current..eh..god?

A new one
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: June 14, 2012, 02:14:50 AM »

I feel like I've been playing this game a lot but I'm not anywhere near finishing.  I spend so much time running around that it seems like I make very little progress on any given night. 

Also, I have well over 1 million gold and a ton of Rift Crystals and nothing to spend them on.  That's disappointing.

Does anyone have impressions of the new DLC quests that came out yesterday?  The non-Different Sky ones, since those all seem to be "find a coin on a roof" sort of thing.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 14, 2012, 02:29:45 AM »

Also, I have well over 1 million gold and a ton of Rift Crystals and nothing to spend them on.  That's disappointing.

ya the game both REALLY succeeded and failed on this, at the same time.  i have a lot of rift crystals, which i SHOULD be using to buy increasingly better pawns.  but at the same time, ive become "wedded to" and invested in questing with the pawns i have picked up, even as they become increasingly less effective.

so kudos on investing me in my pawns, downside for making a scarce resource seem devalued.  when reading this post im thinking maybe i should be dismissing then reselecting the same pawn, something i havent done however because i never really thought to before now and theres no promise that the pawn ive been using has a "better" current iteration
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: June 14, 2012, 03:51:31 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on June 14, 2012, 02:29:45 AM

so kudos on investing me in my pawns, downside for making a scarce resource seem devalued.  when reading this post im thinking maybe i should be dismissing then reselecting the same pawn, something i havent done however because i never really thought to before now and theres no promise that the pawn ive been using has a "better" current iteration

Yeah, I went with the same pawns for quite a while until I realized I was 10-15 levels above them so now I've taken to doing that more often. 

Of course that doesn't work when the other player hasn't been diligently levelling up their pawn as well.  Looking in your direction, Ralph Wiggum!   icon_evil slywink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 14, 2012, 04:13:37 AM »

what could have been cool is if they had made it so you can use Rift Crystals to pay for transporting between found Rift Stones.  they could have limited to only you and your pawns, so escorting would work with them, and it might have alleviated boring travels between Gran Soren and Cassardis for those who like visiting home and seeing what new quests pop up there.

as for gold, it's feeling so useless right now I've just been dumping everything into my personal stash.  heck, early on I found a sword that gave me 130K gold.  granted, it was from an escort quest I technically shouldn't have been able to complete as early as I did it and I only made it through by running through and away from mobs that I had no clue how to properly handle, but it was a nice kickstart to my gold collection.

oh, and WTF is up with the Griffin?  my pawns will yell out about it, I'll see it (or in the case of the first non-scripted encounter its shadow will fly over me and I'll damn near spit my drink out going OH SHIT!), it'll attack a random creature near me and then fly away even if I shoot at it.  does it just appear at first and then become something more involving later, or did it inherit the pre-patch AI from one of Skyrim's dragons?

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 14, 2012, 05:13:47 AM »

You will get a quest about a griffin that is one of the finest quests i ever tried in a game.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: June 14, 2012, 06:59:29 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 14, 2012, 05:13:47 AM

You will get a quest about a griffin that is one of the finest quests i ever tried in a game.

I thought it was the shittiest quest I've played so far in the game, so tastes differ. It was glitchy, had unclear objectives that require you to do things you might not even be aware that the game allows you to, and asked you to run pretty much from one side of the map to the other while NPCs magically teleport there (when out of sight. Until you go away they just stand there). Then there's the way it takes away camera control from you during a certain section, forcing you to run at full speed while only being able to see 1-2 meters in front of yourself (with a conveniently placed pit at the end of the run which could plunge you to your death), and a scripted series of events that make you wonder if you're supposed to be attacking the enemy at this time or just wait for a specific event to occur (it's mostly the latter).

I was glad when it was over.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 14, 2012, 07:28:21 AM »

The journey was awesome in itself, through blasted landscapes, windswept canyons and for me too place during both day and night. When I finally got there, it was a storm full night with rain and lightning blasts, and the most cinematicly brilliant experience I've had in a game to day.
I had no issues with knowing what to do at what point either. If you pay attention to what your fellow mercenaries say, its all pretty clear.

Very very fun!

A new one
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: June 14, 2012, 07:34:34 AM »

My problem with that quest is that I just wanted a quick local quest to kill the griffon (that I had already killed multiple times before getting the quest...), but it ended up running way the hell across the map in the middle of it so I had no choice but to continue. 

Also wasn't a fan of the "sprint towards the camera" bit, as I ran out of stamina half way the first time and ended up falling to my death.  Nothing like having to re-do all that crap because of poor trial and error design.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 14, 2012, 07:45:56 AM »

Really? "All that crap" with the running took what, 1 minute?

Oh well - I'm sorry you guys didn't enjoy the experience, but to me it was quite fun.

edit: That sounded dick'ish - sorry about that. I'm just curious why you both didn't like it. I died as well, and it took me one minute to run through again :-)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:02:17 AM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 14, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 14, 2012, 07:28:21 AM

The journey was awesome in itself, through blasted landscapes, windswept canyons and for me too place during both day and night. When I finally got there, it was a storm full night with rain and lightning blasts, and the most cinematicly brilliant experience I've had in a game to day.

was it scripted weather?  I have yet to encounter anything beyond sunny and clear, slightly overcast or clear moonlit night.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 14, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2012, 01:00:57 PM

Quote from: Razgon on June 14, 2012, 07:28:21 AM

was it scripted weather?  I have yet to encounter anything beyond sunny and clear, slightly overcast or clear moonlit night.

Aye,I think most of that sequence was scripted, the rain and lightning included, unfortunately.

A new one
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 14, 2012, 01:49:14 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 14, 2012, 07:45:56 AM

Oh well - I'm sorry you guys didn't enjoy the experience, but to me it was quite fun.

edit: That sounded dick'ish - sorry about that. I'm just curious why you both didn't like it. I died as well, and it took me one minute to run through again :-)

The bluemoon griffin battle was epic for me. Loved it

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 14, 2012, 01:50:14 PM »

Exactly! My GF was glued to the screen during those 30 minutes as well - good times!

A new one
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 14, 2012, 01:55:37 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 14, 2012, 01:50:14 PM

Exactly! My GF was glued to the screen during those 30 minutes as well - good times!

I was a little under leveled when I did this, which made the battle more intense and deadly.

Semper Fidelis

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: June 14, 2012, 02:26:54 PM »

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. frown
I love shipping times (bought it from a FS/FT about a week ago).

Hurry up dammit!! Kato's pawn is going to be geriatric by the time I get to play...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 14, 2012, 02:31:16 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 14, 2012, 01:55:37 PM

Quote from: Razgon on June 14, 2012, 01:50:14 PM

I was a little under leveled when I did this

you glued Razgon's GF to the TV too?  Tongue

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 14, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 14, 2012, 01:49:14 PM

Quote from: Razgon on June 14, 2012, 07:45:56 AM

The bluemoon griffin battle was epic for me. Loved it
Once I figured out where I needed to go (the quest marker looks like it's in the middle of the water), it was a great experience.  The journey just to get to the tower was intense.  There are a couple of kill zones perfectly setup in the canyons that are really challenging to fight through.  As tough as they were, I give the developers a big thumbs up for placing AI enemies in positions that are actually smart.  I had a major sense of accomplishment when I watched the cinematic camera pan of the tower after surviving the journey.  And that's just getting there!

Tip: There's a riftsone right outside the tower on the left.  Somehow I missed it going in.  I took a battered party into the tower with depleted health bars.

I agree that the reverse camera angle probably didn't work as they were hoping, but I know when a developer uses that technique to just run straight as fast as possible.  The final battle was awesome.  I paid for an earlier decision I had made on a previous quest.  I had karma return from trying to be sneaky and greedy.  Another thumbs up to the developers. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 15, 2012, 03:14:27 AM »

LOL, killed my Jarrod's pawn tonight.  I was being attacked by Snow Harpies in a canyon, and I blasted one of them with the 10-arrow shot.  well, just as I let loose I though 'hey, it looks like it is carrying something.......'  moment later her icon is a skull, and there was no way for me to get to her as the body fell down the canyon.  as I was laughing another harpy tried to snatch me, and even got me off the ground before I wiggled the thumbstick enough to get loose.

Because I can,
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 15, 2012, 03:30:23 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 15, 2012, 03:14:27 AM

LOL, killed my Jarrod's pawn tonight.  I was being attacked by Snow Harpies in a canyon, and I blasted one of them with the 10-arrow shot.  well, just as I let loose I though 'hey, it looks like it is carrying something.......'  moment later her icon is a skull, and there was no way for me to get to her as the body fell down the canyon.  as I was laughing another harpy tried to snatch me, and even got me off the ground before I wiggled the thumbstick enough to get loose.

Poor Jarrod pawn  icon_frown

I'll poor a 40 for the homies

Semper Fidelis

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 15, 2012, 03:03:35 PM »

About the very end...
Spoiler for Hiden:
That was a great idea to put pictures and stats of my character, my main pawn, and the supporting pawns that I used the most in the story book.  It's a small thing, but it perfectly captured the feeling that this was my story.  The pose they used for my main pain in her "picture", with her head down and arms folded across her body was actually kind of moving.  It was symbolic of her loyalty and respect...especially after just having watched the cutscene of her desperately trying to follow me as I plummeted back down to mortality.  For a being that supposedly has no capacity for emotions, she sure seemed distraught and upset at the possibility of losing her Arisen.

This game was a complete surprise for me.  It’s easily one of my favorite games of this generation.  It captured the classic rpg feelings of exploration, adventure, danger, character growth, and even party comradeship better than any game in recent memory.  I didn’t expect to feel that way about the pawn system, especially after growing accustomed to the Bioware formula of party npc sidequests, romances and backstories.  There are no party member backstories in Dragon’s Dogma, but somehow I felt just as (or more) attached to my main pawn and some of my supporting pawns than I did for some of the recent Bioware npcs.  I even liked the campy npc banter and shouts, even if some of them made no sense.  It helped build the atmosphere.

The combat is fun and paced well.  The story doesn’t drag on, or make me listen to tons of dialogue.  It’s all about exploration and growth. However Capcom did it, I hope they can recreate this magic in a sequel, and continue to improve upon the formula.  I’m actually disappointed to walk away from the game, but I have so many other games I want to play and finish that I’ll plan on coming back to the NG+(+) experience later.  I didn’t think it was possible, but a game that came out of left field completely sucked me away from Diablo 3 for a couple of weeks.  Now I need to get back to left and right clicking my way through Normal difficulty in D3. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 15, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »

note to self:  do not take an escort mission immediately after changing to a new vocation- it can make things tricky, especially if that Griffin who has been hanging around finally decides to attack.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 19, 2012, 02:03:22 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 15, 2012, 03:30:23 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 15, 2012, 03:14:27 AM

Poor Jarrod pawn  icon_frown

I'll poor a 40 for the homies

the funny thing is that I went back to the same cave/canyon area last night to find some documents, and I had the same group of pawns, and I lost his pawn again.  I'm not sure how, halfway through the area the pawn was just gone.  no skull on the map or anything.  I know I had everyone when we got attacked by Saurians, and then some harpies flew in and then finally some ghosts got mixed in, so the battle was pretty chaotic.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: